Unofficial Portkey Archive

Don't ask me why by yomoedmb
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Don't ask me why

yomoedmb

A/N: I was listening to the Eurythmics and this song came on and I absolutely love it. So the lyrics are from "Don't Ask Me Why."

Miracle of miracles
Look what the night dragged in -
It's a pocket full of misery
And trouble on the wind
You spoiled the best years
Of your life
You took them all in vain
Now you think that you're forgiven
But you can't be born again
And you say
Why?

Ginny was walking home from a hard night work at the club that she danced at. It wasn't the most honorable job, but it paid the rent and kept her fed for the most part. Ginny stopped on the curb and looked around and took a deep breath in. This wasn't the best part of London that she lived in. She lived in the Muggle parts just because she could afford it and no one knew her there. All of her friends had run to the spotlight after the war while Ginny ran as far away as possible. She went to the lengths of cutting her long wavy red hair into a stylish straight bob, and then to dye it strawberry blonde. After the transformation she didn't even recognize herself in the mirror, let alone any strangers on the street would notice her. She had slimmed down and sprouted up. Her friends and customers at her job always told her that she should get out there and model, that she was the perfect accessory for any catwalk or rich man's arm. Ginny just shook her head; she had lived that life once she had been with the rich man and been the beautiful model, at least in his eyes.

"Keep the heels on Gin," Draco commanded his red-headed lover. Her hair was long then, it went down to touch her waist. She was slim too, but still a couple inches shorter than Draco. He loved her wearing the stilettos since not only did she look edible in them, but it made her the same height as him which made her lips more accessible.

"As you wish my darling," Ginny purred as she crawled across the bed. She looked his body up and down on her voyage to the man. He was skinny but muscular from years of Quidditch training and his mother's stern eye on his diet. Ginny admired everything about him; his looks, his brain, his laughter when you could summon it. In her eyes Draco was the perfect man; to everyone else he was scum. They had kept their relationship under the covers since he had gotten back. No one had noticed their furtive glances, or coincidental absences. They were in love; despite everything in their world they loved each other.

Draco had been dismissed of charges and allowed back into Hogwarts for his final year since Harry informed everyone that Draco hadn't killed Dumbledore and hadn't followed in his father's footsteps to become a Death Eater. They excused his letting the Death Eaters into the school for insanity since Voldemort had threatened to torture and kill his family if he hadn't. Everyone was surprised by the drop of charges since many people were harmed by Draco's actions, and thus people still hated him, everyone but Ginny.

"You're beautiful Gin. The most beautiful witch around," Draco cooed when Ginny finally reached him. She lay on top of him to look into his steely eyes. "I don't know what I would do if we ever separated."

Ginny smiled at his sincerity and softly kissed his lips. "Probably die I'm guessing."

"Or just live in a horrible state," Draco responded while moving a long piece of hair out of his partner's eye.

"Well we can't have that happen can we?" With that Ginny kissed him passionately and surrendered herself to the Slytherin Prince.

Ginny was almost to her flat when she snapped out of the flashback. She always found it strange the way Draco slithered into her mind. She hadn't even seen him in four years and he still haunted her life. Ginny hadn't even dated since he had left in hopes of his return, even if it was an empty hope in her opinion after all of the years waiting for him. Ginny lifted her hand to trace the fence she was walking by. After two years she had gotten used to the path and even looked forward to the long walk home. She felt his hand before seeing him since she was staring up at the night sky's stars. Jumping away and yelping she quickly pulled out her wand. No one was ever out this late on her street; on the rougher streets further back yes, but never this one.

"It's me," he stated coolly looking down her wand. Even in the darkness she could see his smirk and blonde locks.

"No. Why? Just go." Was all she could stammer out to the man of her past as she backed away from him.

"I miss you Gin. I had to come see you," Draco said approaching Ginny.

"You can't do this Draco. I'm not one of your whores that will drop to their knees the moment you call. You left me!"

"I made a dumb mistake. Let me fix it."

"How? How do you expect to change the damage you have done? I woke up one day to find my boyfriend gone. No note, no nothing to tell me where you were going or why. I had to find out from your best friend that you had matters to attend to. What matters were so important Drake? Did you finally fall into the ways of your father?" Ginny yelled with tears spilling down her cheeks.

"I would never do that Gin you know that! I love you. I left for your sake, I promise."

"Oh bugger off Draco. I don't want to hear your lies anymore. I've heard so many stories from different people I don't know what to believe anymore," Ginny fumed as she started up the walk to her flat. "So stop now!"

"Please Gin. Don't believe anyone else, just give me a chance to explain." Draco begged, except Malfoy's don't beg, while he went up behind the redhead and wrapped his long arms around her slender waist. "I never thought you could get more beautiful, but you did. I love the blonde in your hair."

"Don't try to sweet talk me Draco. I'll give you ten minutes, but no funny business from you," Ginny said as she pried herself from Draco's grasp and unlocked her door.

"Why do you live in Muggleville Gin?"

"I think I should be asking the questions Drake," she stated firmly after entering her flat. She walked over and sat on the couch and crossed her arms. "Ten minutes, go."

"I was pardoned of my charges as you know. You also know that everyone still hated me since I officially started the war this time. The night before I left Harry came to me and told me I had to leave, that Hogwarts couldn't protect me anymore and that he knew about you and me. Harry said he wasn't the only person that knew, but everyone was just letting us be happy since so much sadness was going on outside. Voldemort had found out that I was hiding there and that I loved you so I ran. Harry arranged for me to stay at the Order and to do financial things for them. I used the money my parents gave me to finance the Order, and kept their books straight."

"Your parents are rolling over in their graves I bet, but where have you been since the war ended?"

"Looking for you. After the war ended two years ago and Harry told me I could leave hiding I looked everywhere for you, but no one knew where you were. It was as if you apparated into thin air. Even your family helped, everyone has been so worried about you thinking the worst had happened. The ministry had no magic use from you or anything. One day Blaise came to me to tell there was a Clarissa that danced at a muggle club that looked a lot like you. Just she had short strawberry-blonde hair instead of the long locks of fiery red. Well of course I had to check to see and it was you. A couple nights ago I followed you here just to see where you were living, and frankly if you had moved on to someone else. Then I decided to finally talk to you tonight. You deserved to know why I left without telling you."

"You've spent two years looking for me?" Ginny asked walking over to the pacing Draco.

"Yeah Gin. I meant that I love you, and I haven't known what to do without you. While I was at the Order I kept myself overly busy to distract myself from getting you. I was still so worried that Voldemort would try to take you to lure me in. Harry made sure that wouldn't happen though. Ever since I got to leave though, I had nothing to distract me from the thoughts of you."

"Are you and Harry like good mates now?"

Draco laughed at the comment. "You know the hero Harry, he has to save everyone. I was lucky that he decided to save me though because Voldemort was planning an attack on the school for us."

"You spent so long just looking for me?" Ginny asked with confusion, but appreciation in her eyes.

"Don't ask me why Gin, I just love you." Draco said as he scooped Ginny up into his arms with a passionate kiss. He carried her back into her room and placed her softly on her bed and looked deep into her eyes. "I knew it was your from your eyes Gin, I would know them anywhere."

"Just shut up and make love to me Draco."

"As you wish my darling."

Fin.

-->