Unofficial Portkey Archive

I Know by Justine83
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I Know

Justine83

Disclaimer: The characters are owned by JK Rowling. The story is mine. The song is Elisa's.

A/N: Just a small side project from "Even Angel's Fall". Update coming soon on that, I swear!

I know why you're trapped

What makes you feel like that

How you just lost your path

When each fear feels that holds you back

- "I Know" by Elisa

Ginny stood silently on the Pitch. She wasn't sure what she was waiting for. She just knew at the moment she wanted to remain alone. She should be in the infirmary where her big brother lay unconscious flanked by his best friends, no doubt.

She wondered how this all began. What brought them to this point? Her, with a broken heart; her brother, with a broken skull. She shuddered when she thought of the looks of bewilderment were directed at her from Harry and Hermione. Luna shook her head silently as she followed Madam Pomfrey off the Pitch with a levitated Ron.

"Aw, why, if it isn't little Weaselette?"

Ginny stood from her spot on the ground outside the Burrow. "What do you want Malfoy?"

A smirk crossed his pale face. "My my, what would Mother and Father Weasel say if they knew their youngest was outside all by her lonesome at this late hour?"

Ginny scowled. "They would probably want to know why I didn't hex you into oblivion for being a git."

Suddenly, she could feel him behind her.

She crossed her arms over her chest defensively, not turning to face him. "What do you want?"

Ginny heard him sigh. "Is Weas- is your brother okay?"

The red head shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, I think so. Hermione said he would have to take Skele-Gro to help. I left after that. I came down here." She felt him step closer, and knew instantly that he was standing next to her. His tall lanky frame was towering over her.

"I'm so sorry, Gin girl. I had no idea-"

Her eyes closed tightly. "Shut up, Draco." She said with a tight voice.

"Gin-"


"No," she interrupted. "I don't know how this even began. The sneaking around. The lying. I didn't want to hurt anyone damnit. I knew nothing good would come of this, but I bloody well didn't care, did I? No. I cared for no one but myself and where did that get me? It wasn't just someone I knew that was hurt. It was my brother!" she yelled in frustration.

"I'm sorry! I tried to catch you before the damn match. Blaise warned me that Goyle and Crabbe were up to something. He thought they would hurt you."

She turned to him then. He could plainly see the anger and fear on her face, and he felt his heart break.

He knew who it was before she said a word. They had met like this every night since the first night he arrived at the Burrow. Much to his dismay, Snape was sure this was the only place where Draco would be safe until it was time to go to Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry about Ron."

He shrugged. "I'm not. It's no surprise that Granger and Potter could be civil, but your brother and I are a different story."

She took a seat next to him. "I don't think my brother would ever come around when it comes to a Malfoy after my first year."

Draco sighed. "My father may appear to be a smart man to his circle, but I know differently. He's nothing but a coward. I want to be nothing like him."

Ginny nodded slowly as she reached down to take his hand in hers. She squeezed it in support as she kept her eyes on the clear sky above them. The conversation went like this for the last month. Their relationship was theirs. No one knew about his or her nightly chats. No one knew the secrets Ginny had told him. Secrets such as dating Harry had felt like a duty more than love because he saved her life. A secret such as how happy she was for Hermione and Harry.

He told her about how he didn't want to kill Dumbledore, but it was his father who threatened to kill his mother that forced him to do it. He told her he hated the morons in Slytherin House. Blaise was the only one he could trust. He was the only one he would trust.

"I don't know what to tell you, Gin. I love-"

"NO! Don't say it. I have to get out of here. I need to get out of my Quidditch robes," she said as she pushed passed him.

Draco stood shell-shocked for a moment before running after her. "Ginny! Stop!" he called. By the time he caught up to her, she was already in the corridor for the locker rooms. "Stop, damnit!" He grabbed for her arm, but she pulled away roughly to look at him with blazing eyes.


"WHY! Why should I stop for you? I'm so sick of running around. We've been together for six months! Hermione started suspecting something months ago. I've been lying to her, Draco! The only person that knows is your confidant. Who can I go to when things get hard? No one. Not a single bloody person."

"You can go to me! I can be your confidant, Ginny! I love you, for Merlin's sake! I know this is hard. I'm scared as hell here."

Tears welled up in her eyes as she allowed herself to be pulled into his arms. "I love you too, Draco. I'm sorry. The accident with Ron scared me today, and I couldn't get there fast enough. I saw you shout at me to watch out, and the next thing I saw was Ron plummeting to the ground, and he was bleeding from the head. I was so scared. I heard you screaming at Goyle, and I saw Blaise pull you away."

He placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. "I know, baby. I know. You can tell Granger and Potter. Your brother too, if you want. The rest of the school just can't know about it. I need to keep you safe until Potter kills Voldemort off for good. I'm a target, and I can't make you one too. I love you, Gin girl."

"I know. I love you, Drake," she told him as she tightened her hold around his waist. "It'll all work out in the end. I know it will. It has to.

-->