Unofficial Portkey Archive

His Leading Lady by gluglug
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

His Leading Lady

gluglug

His Leading Lady by Gluglug

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter universe and all the characters in it belong to J.K. Rowling. No infringement intended, just borrowing.

Summary: Quick one shot, Ginny POV - Ginny comes to a realization while dating Harry. It's hard to write from Ginny's POV because her character is such a Rorschach test, but this is my attempt.

=========================================================

The minute she ran into his arms I knew he was no longer mine. Not that he ever was, not really.

When I became Harry Potter's girlfriend that day in the Gryffindor common room, I couldn't believe my luck. After nursing an intense five year crush, the Boy Who Lived finally became the Boy Who Snogged Me Senseless.

And I was happy that my plan worked. Dating other boys, not being Ron's star struck little sister, some Wonder Witch products and a few hair and make-up tips from Witch Weekly sealed the deal. Becoming the girlfriend of the most fanciable boy in the school was amazing. Harry James Potter was every teenage witch's dream - heroic, handsome, sweet and, yes a great kisser.

But that's all we ever did, really, when my brother and Hermione weren't around. Harry never confided in me or talked about his private lessons with Dumbledore. We held hands and snogged (and sometimes did a little more than snog, but no matter what Ron thinks of me, I'm not what he calls a "scarlet woman.") When Harry and I talked, the subjects were limited to Quidditch, school and making fun of people who got on our nerves.

Speaking of people who get on my nerves, one day while we were enjoying lunch under a shady tree by the lake, the conversation strayed to Hermione. Harry said he was surprised that Hermione and I got into an argument over the Sectumsempra incident. He asked me if she and I were still close after that.

"Of course, we're close," I lied. "Hermione's like an older sister to me. She's always giving me advice and telling me to study. In fact yesterday, she told me that I should be studying harder for my OWLs and shouldn't let you distract me."

"That sounds like Hermione. Next thing, I'll bet she'll start telling me to leave you alone so you can study." Harry grinned.

"She's a bit of a busy body, isn't she? I mean what business is it of hers how I do on my exams? She's not my mum."

"But you know Hermione, that's just how she is," Harry shrugged. "She's been nagging Ron and me ever since first year to study harder. She even gave us talking homework planners for Christmas once, remember?"

I rolled my eyes. "Who gives a homework planner as a present? Only someone as boring as Hermione would do that."

Harry's expression changed instantly. "Hermione's not boring, Ginny. Do you think I would call someone who's been my best friend for six years "boring"?

"Of course, not Harry." I replied, a little taken aback. "It's just that I find Hermione to be annoying sometimes. You remember how she wouldn't leave you alone about using that curse on Malfoy. I was so glad I shut her up."

Harry's expression grew stonier. "Ginny, at the time I was glad you did, but I realize now that she was only trying to make me see how I shouldn't have used a curse I knew nothing about. I mean, Malfoy could've died from those wounds if Snape hadn't arrived when he did. I can't stand Malfoy, but I don't want him dead."

"But you didn't kill him. He's fine now." I reassured him. "The only bad thing is that you have detention every Saturday and can spend less time snogging me."

I leaned in to give Harry a kiss but his amorous mood seemed to have left him. He gave me a chaste peck on the lips, picked up his book bag and stood up.

"Ginny, I hate to cut our lunch short, but I just remembered I have some homework to finish before class."

I pouted at him. "Fine, go do your homework! But what will I do for the next half-hour?"

"Why not get some studying done for your OWLs?" He suggested.

"You sound just like Hermione." I replied as he headed back to the castle.

I should've known that this was the beginning of the end of my role as Harry Potter's girlfriend. Being less than complimentary about Hermione in front of Harry was a surefire way to put a damper on things. I wonder if Cho Chang had the same problem?

I knew for sure that it was over when I led Harry back to the hospital wing after Dumbledore's tragic death. The second Hermione saw that Harry was safe she made a beeline across the room and flung herself into his arms. I could see the expression on Harry's face as he embraced her; he was glad to see that she was safe, too.

At first I thought he was just relieved that she was okay, as any friend would. Maybe it was the shock of seeing my dear brother Bill's wounds, but it was several moments before Harry and Hermione let go of each other, somewhat reluctantly. In the few short weeks Harry and I dated, he never held me like that or looked at me with such tender concern as he did when he held Hermione. And I felt like an interloper.

That night I cried, partially out of grief for Dumbledore but also because I knew that Harry's heart had already been taken. So when he broke up with me at the funeral, it was no surprise. He said it was to keep me safe, but now I just think it was an excuse. I don't think that Harry deliberately lied to me, but now I know that both Ron and Hermione are going with him on his quest and he's not pushing them away to keep them safe. His quest has something to do with defeating Voldemort but as usual I'm not privy to the details.

So now I retreat to the background, once again a supporting player in the Harry Potter saga. For a brief shining moment, I was the hero's leading lady and I'll always relish it.

But the biggest thing I learned during this time was that the role of Harry's leading lady had already been cast, six long years ago. It's only a matter of time before the hero himself realizes it.

FIN

-->