Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Red Dress by Vanilla
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Red Dress

Vanilla

Harry dragged his exhausted feet down Diagon Alley. The streets were flocked with tourists from all over the world, due to the upcoming Quidditch World Cup. He paid no attention as every few seconds his shoulder would collide into another resulting in a glare from the individual that generally went unnoticed by him. His feet ached, his back was sore, and his stomach growled with pains of hunger.

When Ron suggested he come and help him, and the twins buy supplies for their new joke shop, and he accepted, he never knew he would be employing himself as bag carrier, and coat rack. His arms overloaded with bags, and jackets draped off his shoulder, he followed Ron and the twins out of "Eylops Owl Emporium" for the third time that day.

"Let's go back to the apothecary," George suggested. "I forgot to buy milled rat spleen."

Harry groaned, following several paces behind his three friends. He now longed for his comfortable bed. On the other hand he longed for Hermione to tell Ron how self absorbed he had been all afternoon…or just Hermione in general. He smiled at the thought.

"Harry!" George called.

"Mmm?"

"Coming?"

"Mmm-hmm."

Harry groaned again, following the Weasley boys down the crowded streets again. Then something caught his eye, something beautiful that instantly drew his mind to Hermione. In the large display of Madam Malkins was a beautiful knee-length red dress, with a flowing skirt.

"That would look beautiful on Hermione," Harry whispered.

"What?"

Harry looked to his left and saw Ron was staring at him with a puzzled expression. "Nothing," Harry said. He put the dress out of his mind and followed his friends through the crowded streets of Diagon alley.

* * *

Two weeks later Harry was making his way through the empty streets of Diagon alley, dodging rain puddles. For the past three days the entire country had been caught in a heavy downpour. Harry was thankful for the rain resistant charm he had picked up, which let him wander about without getting a drop of water on him.

Tonight was the annual summer ministry gala. It was a big festivity held every year that always brought the crème-de-la-crème of the wizarding world. Being `the boy who lived' and one of the senior auror's, Harry, was sure to be on the top of the guest list as he was every year.

Harry was now on his way home from work after a long day and looking forward to getting home before having to go to the gala. Harry found it much more convenient to walk through Diagon Alley to the Floo station, rather then to wait in line to use a chimney to Floo home. The streets of Diagon Alley were pretty vacant due to the horrible conditions, only the occasional witch or wizard passed running to get out of the rain.

Harry passed the shops on his way to the Floo station glancing at the merchandise that was on display in the windows. He saw a new broom maintenance kit that he was seriously thinking of going back to buy when he saw the same red dress again that he had seen a few weeks ago. Instantly his thoughts went to Hermione, and how beautiful she would look in that dress. He pressed his nose against the window, fogging it up with his breath, and stared at it thoroughly.

"Can I help you?"

Harry pulled away from the glass and saw Madam Malkins shop assistant glaring at him, obviously wondering who this mad wizard was with his nose pressed against the glass.

"Yes," Harry told her. "I want to buy this dress; it will look beautiful on my girlfriend!"

Harry came through the door of the flat he shared with Hermione at twenty after five like he did almost everyday. He closed the door behind him and the smell of baked chicken and potatoes enveloped him.

"I'm home!" he cried, dropping his bags at the door.

"Don't come in here!"

"Hello to you too, love," Harry shouted back pretending to be hurt.

Hermione dashed out of the kitchen with a sympathetic smile. "Sorry," she said, placing a kiss on his lips. "I was trying to surprise you with a big dinner before the big night tonight. I'm afraid I lost track of time and was expecting you so soon."

"You didn't have to do that," Harry smiled.

"I know," she said. "But I wanted too. Now dinner should be ready in about ten minutes. Go change, and I'll call you when it's ready."

Hermione rushed back into the kitchen without waiting for a response from her boyfriend of two years. Harry walked down the hall and into the medium sized bedroom they shared, a beige room with a large bed in the middle with a navy blue duvet and pictures of scenery covering the walls. He plopped down on the bed and removed his shoes and loosened his tie.

The mail that Hedwig had brought in sometime during the day was sitting unopened at the end of the bed. Harry reached for it, two were bills and one was from Ron wondering what time they all should meet up before the gala tonight. Harry wrote back they would just meet there, that he had special plans with Hermione first. With that done, Harry pulled off his work clothes and put on jeans and white t-shirt. He would change into his dress robes after dinner and leave with Hermione for the gala around eight O'clock.

A few minutes later Hermione called him into the kitchen for dinner.

"I'm sorry," Hermione said sadly. "I really want this meal to turn out. I wanted it to be special." She was picking through the chicken that she had burnt, and then glanced over the carrots that were underdone.

"Honey, sit down and eat," Harry said. "The food is fine. I still appreciate the sentiment very much!"

Hermione smiled gratefully and sat down in her chair next to Harry.

In all honesty, Harry didn't like the food very much. But the fact that she spent the majority of her day try to make a delicious meal for him was even better. Hermione may have been the smartest witch he knew, but cooking was one of her weaknesses. The fact that she even tried was enough for him.

"That was delicious," Harry said pushing his empty plate away.

Hermione gave a mocking glare. "Liar."

Harry suppressed a grin. "It was!"

"Yeah, yeah," she said using her wand to clean up the kitchen. She glanced at the clock and gasped. "It's after six, I still need to get ready and find something to wear."

Hermione disappeared into the direction of the bathroom before Harry could even mention the dress her bought her. An hour later Harry was sitting on the bed fixing the sleeves of his white shirt, while Hermione was standing in front of the large mirror in a bath robe putting her hair up in a fancy French twist, he was waiting for the perfect moment to give her the dress.

"Okay," she said stepping in front of her closet. "What should I wear?" she began using her wand to flip through all her dress robes. "Yellow? No! I don't have the shoes to match it."

Harry walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her middle. "Wear this," he told her handing her the fancy black bag that contained the dress.

"What this?" she asked turning in his arms.

"A surprise," he told her. "Go try it on!"

She beamed and placed a loving kiss on his cheek before rushing into the bathroom to try on the mysterious garment. She returned a moment later with the dress on. It was a red strapless that hugged her curves like a glove, and the skirt came down flatteringly to knees. She looked perfect in it. Except she was frowning.

"What's wrong with it?" Harry asked.

"Nothing! The dress is absolutely gorgeous," she told him. "But women don't wear dresses to ministry galas they wear fancy dress robes. I'll look daft!"

"No you won't, darling," Harry said. "You will look perfect. Please where the dress, for me?"

Hermione kissed him. "Okay," she smiled.

* * *

Harry and Hermione strolled into the atrium of the Ministry of Magic hand in hand where the gala was being held. A young man in dark robes approached them and asked if he could take there coats. Hermione glanced around and could not find a single girl wearing a dress; they were all in dress robes. Still Hermione shrugged off her black jacket and handed it to the young man.

"You look beautiful," Harry told her.

A few minutes later Ronald and Luna Weasley approached them. Ron was in dark blue dress robes, while Luna's were bright orange and pink. Hermione thought she couldn't look stupid while standing next to Luna.

"Hi," Ron said. He turned to Hermione. "Nice dress, Mione."

Hermione turned on him. "If you say one bad thing about my dress and I will pull out my wand and curse your testicles off right here!"

Ron laughed. "Calm down Hermione," he said. "I mean it you look nice."

Hermione flushed with embarrassment and apologized.

Ron and Harry left the girls to go find Fred and George who were around somewhere testing out a new product, leaving Hermione and Luna alone.

"How are you, Luna?" Hermione inquired.

Luna placed a hand on her very pregnant belly and smiled. She and Ron were expecting there second child at the end of the summer. "Wonderful," she said airily. "Only a few more weeks to go."

Hermione placed a hand on Luna's belly and felt the little person inside kick hard. Before she could comment on it a furious woman with ginger hair join them and slammed her glass down hard on the table.

"Men!" she uttered angrily.

"What did Draco do now Ginny?" Hermione asked.

"He doesn't want to go to the after party now," she spat. "We've been planning on going for weeks. I bought new dress robes for it too and everything."

"Oh, he'll change his mind," Luna said.

"I hope!" Ginny fumed. "We're you planning on going?"

Hermione shook her head. "I've got work in the morning, so does Harry."

Ginny turned to Luna.

"No, Ronald and I have to de-nargle the house before the baby comes," she said dreamily as if it was a completely normal task they would be doing.

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Right. I see Liz Claybourne over there, I'm going to say hello," Ginny said. "Catch up with you later!"

Hermione and Luna went over to the refreshment table and each enjoyed a cup of punch and some appetizers. Harry and Ron returned about thirty minutes later. They had been going around, talking to the many guests.

The minister of magic got up on the stage that had been erected especially for this one night and announced that the weird sisters would now start playing. They played a few fast songs first, which Luna and Ginny danced madly too on the dance floor. Then slowed things down.

"Would you like to dance?" Harry asked.

Hermione smiled and took his hand. "I would love too," she said.

Harry led her out onto the dance floor in the midst of a few other dancing couples. Ron had his arms wrapped around Luna large belly and was dancing with her on the other end of the dance floor. Harry took Hermione in his arms and began swaying to the music.

"You really do look beautiful tonight," Harry told her.

"Thank you," she said. "People are staring though; it makes feel a little uncomfortable."

"Let them stare," he said. "They're just jealous of the beautiful woman in the beautiful dress. You should feel very good about yourself."

"You're right!" she said. "I'm Hermione Granger, I'm young and pretty. This is a beautiful dress; I should feel very good about myself!"

Harry smiled.

"Thank you, Harry."

"You're welcome," he said. "Now Miss Granger, how would you like to become Mrs. Potter?"

"Harry, you mean…"

"Yes, will you marry me, Hermione?"

Hermione kissed him hard. "Yes!"

The song came to an end and Harry and Hermione linked arms and walked over to an empty table. Once they sat down, Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out the gold ring that had once belonged to his mother and put it on Hermione's finger.

"Oh, Harry, it's beautiful!" she cupped his face and kissed him passionately.

Ron and Luna came over and sat down unaware of what had just occurred. Ron took a several sips of his fire whiskey before he noticed the shimmering rock on Hermione's finger.

"Harry did you…?" he rambled. He looked at the both of them. "Are you…?"

"Engaged?" Hermione said. "Yes!"

Ron choked on his drink and grinned widely at his two best mates. "Congratulations!" he said. He walked around the table and hugged the both of them. "It's about damn time! The whole world can see you two are perfect for each other."

"What's going on?" Ginny asked who was linking arms with her husband.

"Harry and Hermione just got engaged," Luna announced.

There was another round of congratulations and it was before long the whole party knew and the minister of magic himself was giving them his blessings. A round of drinks was sent around in their honor.

The night went by in a too quick magical blur. When they returned home shortly after midnight, Harry when into the bathroom to wash up while Hermione sat on the bed, still in her dress, admiring the ring Harry had given her. She couldn't believe she was going to be Mrs. Harry Potter. She would have to ring her parents in the morning, they would be ecstatic for her.

The bedroom door clicked open and Harry walked in wearing only his boxers. Hermione felt something stir in her belly when he smiled at her.

"You look very happy," he said, sitting next to her.

"I am," she beamed.

Harry began to nuzzle her neck. "I know how much you love that dress now, but I think it would be a lot more fun if you took it off now," he said, beginning to nip at her ear.

Hermione smiled and turned to kiss him passionately. "Thank you for making tonight perfect," she whispered.

In response Harry growled and unzipped the back of her dress.

Hermione giggled and flicked off the lights.

**********

The End

I hoped you enjoyed it. Please Review!

-->