Unofficial Portkey Archive

After the Fighting by Viper714
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

After the Fighting

Viper714

After the Fighting By Viper714
Disclaimer: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling. I'm just a fan writing this for fun.

Author's note: AU? Only a little. Like so many of you, I was very disappointed with the epilogue to Deathly Hallows. In fact, now that my mother has read it, I covered the epilogue with the flap of the book jacket and taped it shut so I can enjoy re-reading the rest of the book in the future (it's really good if you ignore the last few pages). In it place, I offer you this alternative. It will be in two parts: an alternate "official" epilogue, and then a shippy H/HR extension (maybe with a little R/LL too).


______________________________________________________________________


Five days had passed since Voldemort's fall. Witches and wizards all up and down the country were still celebrating the end of Tom Riddle's reign of terror. The Hogwarts grounds, however, were playing host to an altogether different ceremony. It was time for the defenders of Hogwarts to bury their dead.

Thousands had asked to come, but at Harry's suggestion they limited the funeral to the friends and families of the fallen, and the people they had fought alongside of.

Most of them would be buried in a special graveyard around Professor Dumbledore's tomb. A few would be taken to their family plots once this was over. The bodies of Voldemort and his dead followers had already been removed by Kingsley Shacklebolt. Where he'd decided to bury them was unknown, but it was popularly rumored to be the island of Azkaban. The sole exception was Severus Snape -- who, at Harry's request, would be taken back to his hometown of Spinner's End.

In a solemn procession they came down from the castle. Minerva McGonagall lead the way with the other teachers. Behind them was a long line of caskets, each guided by a single person. At the front, two coffins were being moved side-by-side towards a single grave.

Harry tried not to look around as he guided Remus Lupin's body to its final resting place. Beside him, Hermione was in tears as she did the same for Tonks.

The crowd stood as they approached, some bowing their heads in respect for the fallen. There was also some muttering going on when people saw several house-elves levitating child-sized caskets baring their own dead. Including them had been Hermione's idea -- along with extending a offer to the centaurs to bury theirs as well, but that had been politely refused.

To help guide the pallbearers, a representative of their family or house stood by their respective graves. As he came near, he saw Andromeda Tonks standing with little Teddy Lupin in her arms. Harry's godson was far too young to understand why he was out on this cold, damp morning or the importance of what was happening. All he knew was that he wanted to go somewhere dry and warm.

Harry and Hermione stood on opposite sides of Andromeda, watching the others file in. After much debate, the Weasleys had decided to bury Fred here instead, as Molly had suggested, in Ottery St. Catchpole. As Ron had been the one to case the deciding vote, and because George was too broken up to do magic right now, they had given him the honor of being his brother's escort. Behind him came Neville -- who, as the leader of Dumbledore's Army, had taken the job of guiding Colin Creevey's body to where Mr. Creevey stood.

When everyone was in place, Professor McGonagall stepped forward to speak.

"We are gathered here to commemorate, and lay to rest, the brave souls who gave their lives in the defense of this school.

"Many years ago, our people gathered in celebration because a young boy defeated Lord Voldemort. We breathed a great sigh of relief because a great darkness had passed, that the worst was over.... If we'd only known.

"For the past ten months, we've lived in a world reshaped by Voldemort. A place where suffering and death was commonplace. Yet, even in this great darkness, hope endured. People stood up and fought against this evil in whatever way they could, great and small, and suffered for it.

"In the years to come, there will, undoubtably, be many books written about Harry Potter's final battle with Lord Voldemort. But let us hope that they do not forget the others, those who lived and those who died, who also fought this evil. The people, without whom, Harry would not have triumphed."

Minerva had to pause for a moment to wipe her eyes. She had taught the vast majority of the people here, and worked with many of the others.

"Should the historians overlook these people, though, at least they will still have this." She held out her arms to indicate the cemetery. "A permanent memorial to their bravery, on the very ground on which they fought."

The professor yielded the platform to Kingsley, who read off the names of the fallen. Every once in a while, there was cry of grief as a particular name was read -- the one from Colin's mother was especially heart-wrenching. She cried openly as Neville handled the burial.

When he reached the name Remus Lupin, Harry relaxed the levitation charm so the casket gently sank into the grave next to Tonks. Once they touched, a charm was activated that merged the two coffins together so the bodies inside would never be parted again. Putting his holly wand away, Harry took Teddy from his grandmother so she could do the spell to fill in the grave.

Once the last name was read and their headstone raised, Kingsley rolled up his parchment and quietly said, "Let them never be forgotten."

They won't be forgotten, Harry said to himself as he carried his godson back up to the castle while Ron and Hermione helped Andromeda.

**********

After the feast, Harry left his friends and wandered up to the Gryffindor common room. He probably wouldn't bother trying to make up his seventh year or take his N.E.W.T.s, there wasn't much of a point. However, he did want to see it again -- assuming that he could get past the Fat Lady.

That problem was quickly solved, however, when Neville opened her portrait from the inside.

"Hi, Harry, I didn't expect to see you." Neville looked up at the painting. "It's good to see her back. Snape's cronies took the Fat Lady down and threatened to burn her portrait because she kept refusing to let them in without the password. Apparently, they thought that Gryffindor was the source of all their problems."

"Gee, I wonder why they thought that...." Harry shared a laugh with Neville. "Still, its good that someone saved her. Why are you up here anyway?"

Neville looked at him and said, "Oh, I -- I've been debating something and finally decided to do it. Come on, I'll show you."

Entering the familiar room, Harry couldn't help noticing that it was somewhat worse for wear. Tables and chairs looked as if they'd been repeatedly tossed around, rapes and wallpaper were torn in several places....

Seeing his expression, Neville explained, "Amycus and Aletco used to raid this place like every-other week. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw had to put up with it too, but nowhere near as often as we did. I overheard the teachers talking about starting repairs soon, so it should be back to normal by next term. Anyway, what do you think of my new addition?"

Puzzled, Harry looked around the room. He didn't notice anything new until he looked over the mantlepiece where, in a glass case, Neville had mounted the sword of Godric Gryffindor.

"I know that it came to me during the battle, but I don't feel right in keeping it. Maybe it's better for it to belong to Hogwarts, Gryffindor house to be specific, instead of being in someone's private collection," Neville explained. "Hermione gave me some tips on Permanent-Sticking charms, though I doubt if anything I did will stop the Sorting Hat from summoning it again if someone needs in the future. So, what do you think?"

Harry stared at the sword, thinking about what it represented. He also though of Voldemort and his obsession with gathering objects and power, of how he wanted everything for himself.

"I think that you've grown into a very wise man, Neville Longbottom," said Harry after a moment. "Maybe you should become a teacher...."

Neville laughed. "Funny you should say that -"

Laughing and talking about their experiences, they made their way through the castle. Outside the Great Hall, they spotted Ron and Hermione talking with Kingsley.

"Harry!" shouted Hermione. "Come over here for a second."

He said goodbye to Neville and went to join his friends. "Minister -"

Shacklebolt interrupted him with a polite gesture. "There is no need for formality. We've been through too much together, and I am only the temporary Minister at the moment. I'm here because I wish to talk to you."

If this had been any of the Ministers he'd known, Harry would have walked away in an instant. But he'd seen, and fought alongside, Kingsley too much not to hear him out.

"Okay, go ahead," he said.

"As you can imagine, we have quite a mess on our hands," Kingsley started. "The Ministry in in shambles and even with those who've been released from Azkaban, our society is in ruins. Too many have died, and far more have fled never to return."

Harry nodded his understanding. "I thought as much, considering what I heard while on the run."

"Then you understand our plight," said Kingsley. "Rebuilding will take a long, long time and even if we succeed, there will always be the danger of someone else trying to tear it down again."

"So, what do you want from me?" asked Harry.

Kingsley said simply, "Your help, and that of your friends here. Albus always said that our treatment of other beings would be our downfall, and Voldemort's policies came within a hair's breadth of doing just that. The International Confederation of Wizards had our representatives removed from their council, and the Muggle Prime Minister is this close -" He held his thumb and forefinger about a centimeter apart. "- to revealing our existence to the world."

"I'm surprised you didn't put a memory charm on him," Ron said.

Hermione shook her head. "Well, you can't blame the man for being angry. Muggles were dying too. The question is: Can he do it?"

"Yes he can, and he will if we don't do something," said Kingsley. "We need to change, both our laws and how we act towards others. It won't be easy, and it will take a long time to do, but if we don't it will just be a matter of time before another Dark Lord threatens us. I don't know about you,but I doubt if we can survive another war like this last one."

Harry had to think about for a bit. For years he'd thought of becoming an Auror, but not anymore. He was tired of fighting, of death and destruction. The idea of building something definitely held a certain appeal....

After a moment, he said, "If..." Kingsley opened his mouth, but Harry didn't let him speak. "IF I take this job, would you do something for me?"

"Depends on what it is," he said.

A truly wicked smile spread across Harry's face....

**********

Dolores Umbridge came into work early the next day, as was her wont. The last week had been so chaotic, with the battle up at Hogwarts (how she hated that school!), the fall of He-who-must-not-be-named, and Shacklebolt taking over as the temporary Minister. Dolores didn't like that Auror very much, stupid Muggle-lover, but didn't worry too much about the change. She'd seen plenty of Ministers come and go and felt that she'd be just as useful to the new one as the last.

Coming to her office, she couldn't help scowling at the mark on her door caused by Harry Potter blasting the magical eye off of it. She'd liked that thing, it was so very useful. Magical Maintenance claimed that they had repaired the door as best they could, but she didn't buy it. Worthless, good-for-nothings probably had a good laugh at the whole thing.

It was only when she went inside and turned on the lights that Umbridge realized that her office was anything but empty.

"Good morning, Professor Umbridge," Harry said in a sing-song voice, sitting in her chair with his feet on her desk.

"YOU!" Dolores jumped and drew her stubby wand, only to have Ron cast a Disarming Jinx on her. Any hope she might have of escape instantly vanished when Hermione caused a set of shackles to bind her wrists and ankles -- locking them painfully tight.

Grinning from ear to ear, Harry stood up, took a scroll out of his robes, and cleared his throat.

"Dolores Jane Umbridge," he recited, "By order of Kingsley Shacklebolt, acting Minister of Magic, you are under arrest. The charges include: aiding Lord Voldemort, unlawful imprisonment, persecution of Muggle-borns, torture, and using the Dark Arts on minors. You realize that I'm one of the key witnesses for that last one, don't you?" Harry held up his right hand to show her the scars that said I must not tell lies.. "Due to the current situation, you are to be held in Azkaban prison until the Wizengamot can be convened to hear your case. By the way, you're pretty far down on the list, so it might take a while to get to you. In any case, you won't be working here any longer."

Putting two fingers to his lips, Harry blew a sharp whistle. Four trusted members of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement came through the door. "Get her out of my sight."

Once they had taken the enraged woman away, Harry sat back down behind the desk. "You know," he said brightly, putting his feet back on the desk and his hands behind his head, "I think I'm going to like this job! Ugh, but I hate the decor of this office."

**********

NINETEEN YEARS LATER:


"But Daddy, what if the Sorting Hat puts me in Slytherin?"

Harry squatted down so he was face-to-face with his youngest child. "Let me tell you something: Despite what your Uncle Ron might say, Slytherins aren't all evil...just most of them!" The eleven year-old giggled when his father whispered that in his ear. "You have nothing to worry about, your mother and I will still love you no matter what house you land up in. But if it helps -- always remember that the Hat will take a person's desires into account with its decision." Harry stood and helped his boy onto the train. "Go on now, and stay out of trouble."

"I will Dad," he said. Picking up the cage holding his owl, he joined his siblings and waved. "Bye-bye."

Waving back at his children, Harry went over to where Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Luna were watching the Hogwarts Express pull away.

Seeing the expression on his face, his wife pulled Harry into a hug. "What's the matter?"

"It just feels strange to see them all going off to Hogwarts. Like something is missing now," he told her.

She gave him a certain look. "If it's the lack of children in the house, we could try for another...."

He smiled and held his wife close. After all those years, all that the fighting, life had finally become good for him. He had job he enjoyed, a family that he loved with all his heart, and best of all -- the scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years.

All was well.

**********

End part 1

Built by Text2Html