Unofficial Portkey Archive

Matchmakers To The Rescue by hphglover
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Matchmakers To The Rescue

hphglover

A/N: I still can't bring myself to finish reading the book and I've been writing instead. Silly of me, I know. Why go to the midnight release and then stare at the book willing it to magically change into what I want? Oh, well, I'll finish it eventually. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy this. It shouldn't be more than three chapters.

I'm also working on the next chapter of Leave Your Fear Behind. Maybe I'll be able to post it in the next couple of days as well.

MATCHMAKERS TO THE RESCUE

CHAPTER ONE

"Do you think they'll ever notice?" Ginny asked Luna as they watched Harry and Hermione frolicking in the pool.

They were gathered at Harry's house having a cookout and spending time together as they usually did twice a month. Luna and Ginny were sun tanning, Harry and Hermione were in the pool, and Ron and Draco were at the grill, arguing about who cooked the best steak.

"They don't have a clue! The whole wizarding world knows they fancy each other, but they seem to be the only daft ones that haven't notice yet," Luna replied while looking fondly at the pair.

"We should do something about it, don't you think? It's been happening since before the war began and it's been three years now."

"What would you suggest?"

"I don't know, but there has to be a way to make them aware of their obvious feelings for each other. They live together, they work together, they go on holidays together, and they don't seem to have an interest in dating anyone else. Do you even remember the last time either went on a date?"

"It's been months. And no one is ever good enough. He doesn't approve of her dates, and she doesn't like any of his."

"So we need to put our heads together and come up with something that will be foolproof."

"Are we talking about using some sort of potion or charm?" Luna asked looking back at Ginny.

Ginny raised her eyebrows in alarm. "Hermione would hex us into the next century if we did that! She's a force to reckon with, that one. She isn't called the brightest witch of our times for nothing."

"What about going away for the weekend and making them stay in the same room together?"

"They've been on holiday before. What would make it different?"

"We make the reservations and make sure they have to stay in the same room with just one bed. If they spend a few nights in the same bed, something might happen," Luna suggested.

"There's an idea," Ginny said brightening. "The least that can happen is that they become aware of each other. One can only hope," she finished rolling her eyes.

"Let's plan it for next weekend. I know they have a few days off while they remodel some of the offices at the Ministry. We could leave on Thursday night and come back on Monday. That would give them four nights."

"And we can make sure they stay in a really romantic room, with candles, champagne, flowers, and a huge bed!" Ginny said warming up to the idea.

"So it'll be the six of us then, right?" Luna asked looking at Ron and Draco.

"Of course. If we all go, they won't suspect a thing. I wouldn't even tell Draco or Ron about it. They might spoil it somehow."

"You're right about that. I'll make the reservations tomorrow from the office and then I'll let you know. We won't tell them until the last possible moment. That way they can't come up with an excuse!"

"You're absolutely right. And we should go to the beach. That way they'll have to wear less clothes and the temptation will be greater."

"She's not wearing much now, Ginny, and he seems okay," Luna pointed out.

"He's not; and neither is she for that matter. Watch them for a while and you'll see that he touches her any chance he gets. She does the same to him. And I bet you anything they don't even realize they do it; it's automatic."

Luna turned back towards the pair in question and watched for a few minutes as Ginny had suggested. It wasn't long before she realized Ginny was right. Harry was playing with Hermione, chasing her around the pool, dunking her under water, wrestling with her, and hugging her any chance he got. Hermione was just as bad. She giggled at his attempts to grab her. She shrieked with laughter when he caught her or dumped her in the water. She shot water balls at him using wandless magic (yeah, she was good like that). It was like watching two small children having the time of their lives in the pool.

Tired of playing for so long, Hermione finally sat on one of the benches inside the pool. Harry followed her and leaned his back against her chest. She wrapped her legs around his waist and rested her chin on his shoulder as they talked.

"You're absolutely right, Ginny. I never paid that much attention to them since they always seem to be wrapped around each other; but it's obvious the attraction is there if you look for it. I guess seeing them like this is so natural to all of us that no one ever comments on it. I've never met two people more suited for each other and so oblivious to it all!" Luna said in wonder as she watched the pair more closely.

"I know just what you mean. How can they possibly touch each other so much and not feel it? I mean, when I'm close to Draco all I want to do is shag him senseless!" Ginny said with a laugh.

Luna giggled. "I feel the same way about Ron. Ginny, maybe we're wrong and they really just love each as friends."

Ginny and Luna looked back at the pair once more and watched as Hermione ran her fingers from Harry's cheek all the way down to his chest. She then wrapped her arms around his chest and dropped a quick kiss on his temple. Harry grabbed on her of hands and kissed her knuckles. Then he rested his arms on top of her and leaned more fully into her. He closed his eyes and the expression on his face was full of bliss. He ran a finger over her arm absently and she closed her eyes as well, seeming to enjoy his soft caress. They were a couple clearly in tune with each other and desperately in love.

Luna and Ginny looked at each other again and grinned wickedly.

"Never mind," Luna said. "We are going on holiday! How does the Caribbean sound?"

"Bloody brilliant," Ginny said smiling.

~*~

Harry looked up from the papers scattered around his desk when a memo swept into his office. He grabbed it and read the contents of it, frowning a bit as he did so. He got up and went searching for Hermione. He knocked on her office door one time and turned the knob. When he walked in, she was also reading a bit of parchment similar to the one he had just received. She looked up and smiled when she saw it was him. He lifted his piece of parchment.

"You got one too?" he asked her as he sat down facing her.

"Seems like it. It says we're all leaving tonight for a weekend trip to some magical island in the Caribbean."

"When did this happen?"

"I have no idea, but according to this, we should be leaving the office now," Hermione said looking at her watch.

"I have a ton of work on my desk! I had planned on taking some of it home this weekend."

"Honestly, Harry. A trip to the Caribbean and you want to work?" Hermione asked him raising an eyebrow.

"Where's my Hermione and what have you done with her?" he asked with a twinkle in his eyes.

She giggled. "Come on, Harry, I want to go. We've been working nonstop for weeks now and we deserve a break. Besides, the office won't be available to us for four days, so this is perfect!"

"Fine! I'll let you drag me there. Just to show you how much I love you I'll sacrifice myself and go to the Caribbean."

She laughed as she got up from her chair and walked up to him. She grabbed his hand and pulled him up too. "Don't even try it, Potter, I know you too well. We have some serious packing to do, so I suggest we close shop for the day and go get ready."

"I'm only taking my toothbrush and my swimming trunks."

"What a lovely idea. I should let you pack for me as well!"

"Let's go then and I'll help you."

~*~

They apparated to a resort on the island three hours later. They were greeted by the bell boy, who immediately took their bags as they made their way to the lobby. Ginny and Draco went to the reception desk to check them in.

"This is so exciting," Luna said leaning against Ron and taking in her surroundings.

"It was a great idea," Hermione told her. "I'm glad you thought of this."

"Well, we've never been on a holiday together, and this hotel is perfect. Ever since we ran an article about it in The Quibbler, I've wanted to come. It's a hotel for couples only," she told them.

"But Harry and I are not a couple, Luna," Hermione reminded her gently and then exchanged a look with Harry.

"No one here knows that. If we had told you that you wouldn't have come. Just enjoy yourselves, okay? We're here to have fun and relax."

"She's right, you know? We needed to get out of London for a bit and this place looks perfect. I can't wait for it to be morning so we can hit the beach," Ron said enthusiastically.

Hermione nodded and looked at Harry. He gave her a look that she couldn't quite place, but a look he'd been giving her more as of late. "You're right, Luna, we'll just enjoy it."

Before they could say anything else, Ginny and Draco were walking back towards them.

"Here are the keys to our rooms," Ginny told them. "They all face the ocean!"

Harry took the keys and they walked over to the elevators. Since their rooms were in different floors, they agreed to meet for breakfast early the next morning. Ginny and Draco got off first and then Ron and Luna.

"Remember what I said," Luna said as the elevator doors were closing once they stepped off.

Harry and Hermione just smiled at her. When they reached their floor, they walked down the hallway to their room. He opened the door and let Hermione walk in first. She gasped when she saw the room.

"Oh, Harry, this is beautiful! I love it."

Their room was a small suite. A richly appointed sitting area lead to a balcony facing the ocean.

"You're right, this is really nice."

She walked up to him and hugged him. "Aren't you glad we came? And here you wanted to stay and work over the weekend."

"I wonder how many bedrooms it has. I only see the one door," he said nervously as he looked around.

"Let's go and see then," she said walking over to the door trying to ignore the butterflies in her stomach.

She opened it and stood there unable to move. Harry ran into her back and put his hands on her waist to steady himself. Both were staring at the room aghast.

There was only one king size bed, covered in rose petals. A bottle of champagne was sitting by the bed, chilled and ready to be enjoyed. Next to it was a plate filled with succulent looking strawberries. There were candles around the room and a couple of small flower arrangements were on the tables.

They finally moved into the room and the lights dimmed. Soft music started playing and the candles lit themselves. It could not have been a more romantic setting for a couple in love.

"What in the bloody hell?" Harry asked taking it all in as his hands tightened around her waist. Oh, sweet Jesus, he thought. How was he going to be able to stay with her in this room?

"Do we have the right room?" Hermione asked turning around to face him. I am so going to kill Ginny and Luna for doing this.

"We must, since the key opened the door. But this has to be a mistake, Mione. This room is meant for a couple that's on their honeymoon." How come all of a sudden I wish it was meant for us?

"Maybe they mistook us for that." Do we look like a couple in love? Could he possibly feel the same way I do?

"I guess we should call the front desk and ask to be moved to another room," he suggested, but looked longingly at the bed. I hope they tell us no and we have to stay here!

Hermione caught the look and died a little inside. Maybe she wasn't the only one wishing for more. "I'll call right now," she said and left the room. Maybe I should kiss Luna and Ginny instead of killing them!

She came back a few minutes later and noticed that Harry was out in the balcony. He turned around when he heard her.

"Did they get us another room?" Say no, please.

"You were partially right. All the rooms are exactly like this one." Can't say I'm sorry about that.

"I'll sleep on the couch then and you can have the bed." Ask me to stay with you.

"Don't be silly, Harry. The bed is big enough and it's not like we haven't slept close together before." Unless you don't want to sleep with me. Next to me, I meant! Oh, who am I kidding?

"You're right. It's no big deal. Would you like some champagne? We might as well enjoy ourselves." This is turning out to be a great weekend.

"Champagne would be lovely, thanks." Oh, Merlin, give me strength not to ravish him.

Harry walked into the room and opened the champagne. He dropped a strawberry into each of the glasses and then filled them with the chilled wine. He walked back outside and smiled at her as he handed her the glass.

"To a wonderful weekend," he said raising his glass to hers. And to making memories!

"Cheers!" she said clicking their glasses and then taking a sip. To you, my love.

~*~

They talked for a while and without even realizing it, the bottle of champagne and the strawberries were gone. Hermione excused herself to go and take a shower while Harry lay down on the bed and waited for his turn. He could not help but wish she were laying next to him.

Ah, but she will be laying next to you for the next few nights, a voice inside his head reminded him. How was he supposed to keep his feeling hidden? Now that the champagne had done its job, it was harder still to keep himself from reaching out and kissing her senseless as he had been wanting to do for a very long time. He was not sure when it had happened but he was in love with his best friend.

There were times he would catch her looking at him and she would lower her gaze and blush. There were times she hugged him a little too tight, or for a little too long and his heart would take flight. Then there were the times when she went to kiss him on the cheek and her kiss would land halfway on his mouth if he happened to move at the same time as her. What was he going to do if she fell in love with someone else and decided to move out of their house? He had bought the house with her in mind. He didn't see himself sharing it with anyone else.

Then why don't you do something about it? Be a man, for Merlin's sake! Tell her how you feel before it's too late. She probably feels the same way you do and is afraid to tell you as well.

He couldn't really argue with the voice of his conscience. Maybe it was time to deal with his feelings for Hermione and have it out in the open. If she didn't feel the same way, then he would be able to move on somehow. But if she felt the same, then he could stop wasting his time and love her freely. Just like Luna and Ron loved each other. And more surprisingly, just like Ginny and Draco loved each other. Wasn't it time for him to be as happy as his friends were?

~*~

Inside the bathroom, Hermione was fighting off her demons as well. She wasn't sure what to wear to bed, since she hadn't planned on spending the nights in the same room with him, let alone the same bed. She never wore much to bed, and that was the problem. Most of the time she just went to bed naked. When she did wear something, it was just a small tank top with bikini panties. And that's what she was wearing now.

As much as she had paraded in front of her friends in bathing suits, pajamas were another thing all together. You wore pajamas to bed and that was more intimate. She had slept close to Harry many times during the war, but she had always been fully clothed. At home, she'd always been careful around him and this was the first time he would see her dressed like this. She had a small robe, but it barely covered her thighs. Not much help there.

She sighed as she put the robe on and tide her hair into a lose ponytail. She couldn't stay in the bathroom forever, so she took a deep breath and went back to the room. To her surprise, and deep disappointment (no use pretending otherwise), Harry was laying on the bed fast asleep. She smiled while looking tenderly at him. How she loved him!

Since he had turned down the bed sheets, she covered him up to his waist. She closed the balcony door and turned the lights off. She went around the bed and took off her robe. So much for worrying about it, she thought. She lay on the bed, close to him, and dropped a quick kiss on his lips. Then she turned on her side and drifted off to a peaceful sleep.

~*~

Harry woke up slowly and a bit disoriented. Then he felt someone laying next to him and everything came rushing back to him. He was laying on his side, and Hermione was spooned in front of him. His leg was pressed between hers and his arm was wrapped around her waist. Their laced fingers were laying next to her breast.

He could tell she was still asleep by the pattern of her breathing and he snuggled closer to her, enjoying the moment before she woke up and noticed their position. Thanking his lucky stars, he drifted off to sleep once more a few minutes later.

An hour later, Hermione stirred. She felt Harry behind her and her body tensed for a moment. When had they gotten that close? she wondered. Not that she minded, of course! She had to admit to herself that it felt wonderful being in his arms.

While she was debating whether to get up or not, she felt him stir and his arm tightened around her. She wasn't sure what to do, much less what to say. A few minutes went by and he did not say anything either.

"Are you awake?" she whispered.

"I think so."

She giggled at his answer. "You don't know?"

"I'm not sure," he said and decided to take the plunge. "It could be one of two answers."

Hermione turned on her back and stared at him. "Want some help deciding which it is?" she asked huskily. Was that really her voice? she wondered.

He swallowed hard. His arm was still around her waist and he leaned on his elbow to better look at her. "Well, answer one would be that this is a dream, since you're awake and still in my arms."

"And the other choice?" she asked as her fingers played with the back of his hand. Her pulse had about doubled at this point.

"That I am awake and you haven't moved because you feel the same way I do," he finished softly and looked deep into her eyes. "This would also be wishful thinking on my part."

Hermione's breath refused to leave her lungs. "Or maybe not. Which do you think is right?"

"I'm not sure. You said you'd help me decide, remember?" he told her smiling.

"I did, didn't I? Me and my brilliant ideas!" She was blushing now and he though it was adorable.

"In all honesty, Mione, I'm hoping for the second choice."

"You said I could feel the same way you do, Harry. Why don't you tell me how you feel and I'll tell you if it's true?" Could it be? Could her dreams come true once and for all?

Before he could answer her, there was a loud knock on the door. Harry cursed under his breath and Hermione sighed.

Of all the rotten timing, they both thought at the same time. Bloody hell! Somebody's arse was going down!

A/N: *thinking I should apologize for cutting the story thereā€¦or maybe not* *grins*

Chapter 2 will be coming sooner than you think.

-->