Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unexpected by Scarlet Emma
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unexpected

Scarlet Emma

Disclaimer: The story of Harry Potter or anything related to Harry Potter is not mine. So please don't sue me, since I'm a poor college student.

Unexpected

Prologue

As the glowing sun slowly drifted below the tall green grass, a soft melody played gently towards the crowd. Pairs of joyous eyes focused strictly on the enamored couple, with wide shining smiles. Under a white wooden arch, a man with unruly black hair grinned gloriously towards the goddess beside him. While the lady held back unshed tears, winked playfully with her twinkling green eyes. Soon their rings were placed, vows were exchanged, and the words "I now pronounce you husband and wife," were said. Then like any fairy tale dream, they shared the simple kiss of their symbol of love.

"Professor…Professor…Professor," a boy repeated in front of the oak wooden desk. "Professor Potter, Professor Lupin wanted to speak with you." He moved away from his dazed mentor. Realizing his present state, he quickly placed his pensive back in its cabinet.

"I'm sorry Ali. I didn't hear you come in. Thank you for the message." The Professor adjusted his thin-wired glasses, slipping down his narrow nose.

"It's okay Professor. I'll see you later." The young boy smiled and left his favorite teacher. With clear destination and confidence, the professor left the room in a moderate pace. As he walked through the warm stone corridors, he smiled compassionately to every passing student. Like always they returned the gesture, enjoying their Friday afternoon off. Finally reaching the spot, he tapped the door.

"Come in," a calm soothing voiced called out. Turning the knob with his large and light callous hands, he entered in to the familiar office. Walking in to the room, he saw a lean man with sandy blonde hair, leaning over a stack of books.

"Remus, you wanted to see me." He quickly sank onto the comfortable velvet chair, facing a table set with tea and sandwiches.

"Ah…yes Harry I did." Remus grinned showing off his soft wrinkles. "Here have some tea." He sat across from his child, pushing the teacup forward.

"Thanks," Harry munched greedily on the treats. "So what did you want to talk about?"

"Did Severus contact you? He sent me a rather opinionated letter about Sarah Kelly."

"Opinionated? Remus let's be honest. He is furious we took one of his best students. And trust me, he did contact me." Harry rolled his eyes remembering the hour-long conversation.

"Well, what do you think? Should we send her back? I have to admit he has a point. Sarah is still young and she hasn't shown any more potential since she's started here."

Harry chuckled, "Remus, is Snape starting to wear you down?" His voice carried a hint of humor.

"Never," Remus quickly replied. "But he does have good reason." He returned back to a serious manner.

"Yes, he has a valid reason. And a part of me, even agrees with him." Harry sighed reluctantly.

"Then do you think, its best that she returns to Hogwarts next year?" Remus looked directly into those twirling green eyes.

"I don't want her too though. My intuition tells me she's meant to stay. I know she has it in her Remus. I just know it." The older man smiled across the table.

"Then she stays, because I trust your instinct."

Harry gazed forward with gratefulness. "Thanks for the support."

"All the time son, all the time." Harry only nodded in reply. Through so many years of turbulence, this man across from him, stood by his side. He was a mentor before the war, a friend during, and a father afterwards. Though his heart would always carry his father and godfather, he wouldn't now what to do without Remus.

"Headmaster, Professor Lupin, I'm sorry to interrupt." A sweet shy voice pierced the air. "But Nelly and Sally blew up the cauldrons again." She blushed after glancing at her Headmaster.

"It's all right Violet." Harry answered. "I'll come with you."

"No Harry, I'll go. I believe you have an appointment to keep." Remus stood pointed towards the hanging clock.

"Oh, I almost forgot. They are going to curse me for being late."

"You mean she's going too." Harry received a fatherly pat.

"I'll tell her you said that." He quickly rushed towards the door. "See you later Papas."

"Say hello for me son," Remus chuckled to himself. "Now Violet, what should I do with the explosive twins?"

(At the same time)

Deeper in the city of London or Diagon Alley to be exact, stood an impatient bushy hair woman with wise chocolate eyes. The street was busy as usual with tired wizards and exhausted witches. She nibbled on her lips, wondering where her two best friends were. Slowly the crowded area, seem to increase hotter and hotter. She took off her simple black robes, revealing a slim figure and a comfortable blue dress suit. Unaware of the common male glances, she searched persistently for a familiar face. Then like a blazing fire, she spotted her towering red hair friend.

"Ron, over here!" She shouted out, hoping he would see her. Soon they made eye contact, and smiled at each other. Ron having his 6'5 frame easily weave through the crowd towards his frantic friend.

"Hermione, how's my little friend today?" He stared down, at her 5'5 height.

"I would be better, if you weren't so annoying." She reached hitting his head.

"Hey, I could charge you for assault." Ron placed a protective arm around her shoulder.

"Yes, you could. But who would believe a man like you could be hurt by little old me." Hermione winked playfully.

"Mione, the entire wizard world would believe me." He glared at the men leering at his best friend. " Come on, let's get to the Leaky Cauldron. I'm crazing a firewhisky."

"How you could stand that is beyond my comprehension?" She smiled from his easy-going manner.

"It evens out Mione. You have your books and I have my ale." Unable to hide her mirth, they laugh carelessly while waiting for their late friend.

Soon the sun was slowly setting, and Harry knew he was late. After racing out of Remus' room he quickly showered and changed with pure speed. He was running so behind that he didn't even correct two of his older students. Of course he also understood why they would chose the North Tower, but still he was the authority figure. Now with agile paces and repeated pardons, he hoped to reach his friends before he became Hermione's next experiment. Then like all people in a hurry, he literally ran into someone from the opposite way. Being the man he was, quickly rushed up to apologies to his victim.

"I'm sorry. I'm running…" He looked up to see an annoyed expression plastered on a pale white face.

"Potter, what else would I expect from you? Trying to save another damsel in distress." The man brushed his silky blonde hair away from his light gray eyes. "Or is it just the Weasel and Ms. Walking library?"

"Malfoy, first off don't call Ron and Hermoine that. And second what the hell are you doing in this part of town?" Harry looked extremely peeved at his lack of response.

Sighing, Malfoy reached into his pocket to reveal a wrapped box. "She said that quote, ' I do not understand that though my words are honest, it still hurts like a bird pecking my eyes out.' Or at least that is the cleaner version."

Harry unable to control his chuckle, grin from ear to ear. "Well after 3 years, I would think you would understand her by now."

"Shut up Potter, I don't need your great comments." He placed the gift back into his robe. "Do you think, she'll accept it?" Draco Malfoy asked in a private unsure manner.

"Don't worry Malfoy, I didn't hear from her or Hermione. So you're probably still able to fix this with that." Harry pointed at him.

"I hope so." He looked up sincerely. "Well I got to go solve damage control. I'll meet you next week. I need to go over those documents with you." He returned to his usual arrogant tone.

"I look forward to it." Harry replied with mock enthusiasm.

"Whatever Potter, say hello to the side kick and bookworm." He left through the crowd, receiving envious glance at his wealthy attire.

"Malfoy, some things never change." Harry muttered to himself, while quickly returning to his goal ahead.

"Where is he? I swear, I'm getting him a new watch for his birthday." Hermione growled sitting in the back table of the tavern.

"Calm down Mione," Ron smiled. "I'm sure he got stuck with some starry-eyed teenager."

"Watch it Weasley, I know where you live." The missing voice threatened lightly.

"Real scared Harry! I'm sure you might need to watch your own back first." Ron stood to hug his best friend.

"That mad," Harry whispered into Ron's ear.

"Extremely," he answered with a gentle shove towards Hermione.

"Harry James Potter! When I said don't be late, I would expect a grown man of 27, could understand that concept." She said with a tight brisk voice inside the noisy bar. Yet her tone could still quiet a herd of buffaloes if she wanted.

"I'm sorry Hermione. I got caught up in my discussion with Remus." Harry gently pleaded. "Could the great Dr. Granger please forgive me? I promise I will not be this late again." He moved in to kiss her on the cheek. "You look beautiful by the way."

Unable to stay mad at him, she gave a small smile and playfully nudged his shoulder. "Sweet talking me, doesn't mean I will not forget. But thank you, and you look great yourself."

"Why does he get a nudge, while I got a slap up side the head." Ron interrupted.

"Because Ron, Harry knows what to say to me." She grinned while drinking her butterbeer.

"Women," Ron sneered, receiving a kick under the table.

(An hour and 45mintues later)

"So I told him to shove it and listen when he is being told orders." Ron huffed about his new cadet.

"Ron, do you really have to be so crude?" Hermione tried calming the anxious emotional man.

"I can't help it Mione. He's young, arrogant, and knows that he's got potential." He complained taking an another sip of his firewhisky.

"Well Ron, I agree with what you did." Harry answered with support. "But you are liking your new promotion?" Trying to change the subject away from a disagreeing Hermione.

"It's fantastic! I mean who would have thought I would be Director of Tactical Operations." Ron said showing off his distinct dimples.

"Well I certainly thought you would." Hermione reentered the conversation. "After Mad-Eye Moody retired, it was obvious you would get it. What other aurors are as skilled as you?" She stated like it was common knowledge.

"I agree with Hermione. Who else would they pick? The job was meant for you." Harry smiled seeing how happy his two friends were.

"Thanks," Ron blushed from the complements. "So Harry, how's the school of Specially Gifted Buggers?"

"Real funny," Harry couldn't help but laugh. "It's great. We're thinking of adding another intensive class of how to enhance your mental control over invading thoughts."

"How's Remus?" Hermione interrupted. "I haven't seen him since Christmas."

"He's great. Just got the new grant for expanding his hypothesis on lunar energy waves and its connection with werewolves physical ability."

"That is marvelous! I will definitely send him a note of congratulations." Hermione gazed towards her wristwatch. "Oh, I have to go! I promised David I would go over to his place tonight. I have been so busy at the Center, that he feels neglected." She stood collecting her things.

"Heaven forbid he not consider your schedule." Ron muttered underneath his breath.

"What was that Ron?" She asked wondering.

"Nothing Mione," He smiled innocently. "Good night, I'll owl you those scrolls tomorrow."

"Good night Hermione. Say hello for me." Harry forced a smile.

"Bye guys, see you later." She soon disappeared through the crowd.

"How can she stand that bloody bloke?" Ron said vexed at his friend.

"Ron," Harry tried reassuring Ron and himself. "She's in love. We should be happy that she's found someone after that whole incident with Cane Shannon."

"Yeah, found someone totally wrong for her. Its bad enough that my sister his dating the ferret but now my best friend is dating a slime ball."

"I know Ron. I know. But unlike you, some of us have problems finding great partners." Ron immediately flushed at the comment.

"She is great, isn't she?" Ron smiled from a distant happy memory.

"When is the future Mrs. Weasley coming home?"

"Well she said after the trip to Congo with her dad, she wanted to visit her cousins in Sweden. So give or take another two weeks." Ron's forehead wrinkled in thought. "Who would have thought Luna 'Loony' Lovegood would be my fiancee?"

"The day you said, Harry I think I'm in love." They both laughed remembering their younger selves. Slowly their smiles tightened, while coursing by the harder times.

Ron took another sip, while barely whispering his words. "It's still hard not to think about it. All these years and I can still smell that awful year." He blinked allowing a moment of silence. "Did you ever think we would be sitting here now, discussion about our normal day lives?"

"The thought never crossed my mind." Harry looked up from his cramped hands. "But I thank whoever above, for everything I have now." He stared across into a reflection of understanding.

"Me too Mate," Ron lifted his glass, "Me too."