Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fantastic Year by Jo Bob
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fantastic Year

Jo Bob

AN: Hey everyone! The feedback on my first piece was incredible! I can't thank you guys enough for the positive comments. Now I understand how inspiring getting a single review is! I actually wrote this fic before my first one. (Chapter 37 - Epilogue) However, even though I've completely written through the entire number, there are still a lot of mistakes to be caught on my part. I will do my best to post on a regular basis, however, since I have yet to locate a beta, I feel that I owe it to all of you to go through everything again to maybe catch some final mistakes. And of course, if you have any ideas for where I could take this, I'd be glad to hear (read!) them! Even though this is "finished" doesn't mean that it's completely done. There's always room to improve and to take this story in completely different directions! I hope that it all flows together alright. If you spot any problems that I may have missed, don't hesitate to point them out! As always, comments and suggestions are warmly welcomed! Thanks a lot, guys! Cheers!

Spoiler Alert: This story was started a while back. Before Deathly Hallows was released, believe it or not. However, it was completed after the seventh book was released. I actually took a break from writing in order to finish reading the Harry Potter series. Since I had the entire plotline planned out before I wrote it, this shouldn't spoil anything for the book. I make no guarantees though! Please read at your own discretion and my apologies for any unintentional spoilers. Honestly though, if you haven't read the seventh book, why are you reading Harry Potter fanfictions?

Disclaimer:I claim nothing in the Harry Potter universe. That is all the weavings of the fantastic J.K. Rowling! The only thing I own is this version of the plotline which I sincerely hope isn't accidentally copied from something else I've read!

A Fantastic Year

I

A sallow Halloween moon hung ominously in the air above a vast barren wasteland. The sky was painted a murky grey-not quite dark, yet not quite light either-that oppressed everything beneath it and enveloped the land in a chilling blanket. The few wispy clouds that floated into the foreboding atmosphere were swiftly dispelled by the cutting wind that swept the battlefield. The field of Godric's Hollow had been devoid of other life in every meaning. The only movement was the brush of light dust as insistent winds swept the ground, depriving it of the nutrient rich soil that was essential to life, and the collapse of age old supports that must have held a house at one point in their history. The contours of the ground implied a vast explosion of energy in the past, one that cleared the ground of grass, shrubs, and trees outright. A ring of torrential magical energy seemed to engulf the entire premise.

This was the battleground that Lord Voldemort had chosen for his crushing attack. And it was in this arena that a collection of valiant Aurors-wizards and witches alike-would make their last stand against the Dark Lord. Bright flashes of light streamed back and forth between the two masses as the intense battle raged on. Having fought since dawn, both sides were conceivably exhausted, but the sheer quantity of Voldemort's army was beginning to gain on the handful of talented Aurors. The small procession of freedom fighters was slowly losing ground as witch after wizard was killed by a crippling curse or Unforgivable.

Harry Potter wiped sweat off of his scar-bearing forehead and quickly glanced behind him to see his best friends Ron and Ginny Weasley fighting behind him. Noticing a burst of light to his left he quickly shouted, "Protego!" effectively deflecting the emerald ray. Turning back to his friends, he shouted "I have to go to find him! Stay here and hold your position! I have to end this now or we will all die!"

Ginny glared scathingly at him, "No, Harry! You're not getting rid of us like that! We're going with you. We know the consequences." Ron nodded supportively at her side.

Harry scowled and let out a frustrated sigh, "I don't have time to argue with you guys right now! I am not trying to push you two away to protect you. I have to do this because I'm the only one that can fight him. Please, Ginny, Ron, stay here and hold our position while I go, I'll be right back." Harry tried to smile but it didn't quite come out.

"You better come back, mate," Ron said threateningly, "or else when we win this, I'll come to your grave, dig you out and kill you again for leaving us! Don't think that I won't." He said, trying to make light of the situation.

Harry smiled, "Have faith in me guys," he looked again at his best friends, "I will come back!" He then turned around and dashed into unknown. Ron and Ginny did not have long to watch their friend depart as a burning-red hex flew in their direction. The two siblings barely dodged out of the way in time.

Knocked back to their senses, they looked meaningfully at each other, "For Harry," Ron said and Ginny nodded solemnly. The pair moved together and worked in cohesive harmony to dispatch their targets.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

"Incarcerous!"

Overhead, two figures flew resourcefully on brooms while hurling charms, hexes, and curses-as well as patented 'gag'-down upon the army of Voldemort. Ron and Ginny waved at their wacky brothers Fred and George who returned the gesture before continuing on their rampage.

"How about R's?"

"Exactly what I was thinking, dear brother of mine."

"Reducto!"

"Rictusempra!"

"Riddikulus!"

"Reducio!"

"Touché! I believe we are tied in this one."

"And how would you know?"

"I can't think over anymore."

"Agreed… Let's say we go on to S's…"

Elsewhere in the battlefield, Harry had since found Voldemort's location and was pursuing him avidly. The dark wizard, however, did not seem to want to be found which was greatly frustrating the young wizard. "Stupefy" He shouted and incapacitated yet another Death Eater that got in the way. He leapt to the right to unceremoniously avoid an ocean blue beam of magic from connecting with him, looking back at where it hit the ground he only saw the lingering steam from where a chunk of the earth had been vaporized. Glaring avidly at the offending minion, Harry flicked his wand and shot out a pallid shaft of light that knocked out the target. Having trained his entire teenage life for this day, Harry was not about to let a random minion detain him from his ultimate destiny. Glancing around again, he spotted the evil leader and pounded off again.

Ron and Ginny continued fighting and watched in horror as their friends and peers fell to the ground lifelessly after being tormented by the Crucio curse or blasted by an Avada Kedavra. It was all nearly too much to bear. Ron gasped and jumped when he saw Luna Lovegood fall after being hit by a blazing red bolt of magic. "Luna!" Quickly, he rushed to her side, Ginny following behind him closely while watching his back.

"Is she alright?" Ginny shouted over the rumble of the battle.

"Aguamenti." Ron quickly muttered and doused Luna's brow with a splash of cool, revitalizing water.

Luna's eyes fluttered open weakly, "Don't die, Ronald…" was all she got out before falling back into unconsciousness.

"Luna!"

Ron brandished his wand to revive her, but before he could cast the spell, Ginny stopped him, "I think she's seen enough, Ron. Let her rest."

Ron nodded before hastily casting some healing magic over her just in case. A soft sky-blue light emitted out of his wand and remedial magic leapt nimbly into her body. "Don't die, Ronald? What is that supposed to mean? She's the one that's unconscious!" Ron muttered.

The break was short-lived as the duo was quickly knocked back into reality by the screams and yells of their companions and enemies. They returned to the frontlines to defend their very right to life!

Harry finally caught up to Voldemort. The Dark Lord's back was turned to him, but it seemed as if he was expecting Harry because all of the Death Eaters around the two stepped back to form a tight dueling ring. "Voldemort!" Harry shouted to gain his attention. Slowly and dramatically, the evil wizard turned to face a determined Harry Potter.

"I've been expecting you, Potter." Voldemort drawled calmly.

Harry resisted rolling his eyes, "Enough with the clichés, Voldemort. The time to determine our destinies is now! I will not stand down while you murder and slaughter countless innocent people."

Voldemort laughed before answering, "That is the price that must be paid for the new world that I envision creating."

Harry was confused, "New world?"

"Yes, Harry. Are you surprised? That has been my whole intention from the very start of my campaign. Imagine, Harry, a perfect world. One where there are no more wars, where everyone respects and likes everyone else. There would be no more competition over such brainless things such as money or power. Everyone would live in harmony. You see, Harry, you really know nothing about my intentions or me, what you have heard already has been corrupted and twisted until I seem like an evil person."

Harry was frozen in shock, "I-I see through your mind tricks, Voldemort. You are inherently and completely evil."

"I know why you are hesitant, Potter," Voldemort answered, "it must be difficult for you to grasp all of the wonderful ideas that I have laid out. Join me, Harry Potter, and the two of us could oversee the grandeur of a perfect world where everyone is the same…"

Everyone is the same…

'You're daft, Ron!' Ginny said as she hurled a chicken leg at her brother.

'Oh shut up! You know it's true.' Ron said countering with a flick of his carrot-casserole laden spoon.

'No, no, no! I refuse to acknowledge that the Canons are better than Puddlemere. It's been ages since the Canons have won anything substantial for crying out loud!' Apple pie catapulted.

'Oh don't worry, Ginny, they're just prepping for a huge comeback-the greatest in all of history! I know it for sure.' Ron grinned, 'This pie is good.'

Harry, having wisely stayed out of the brawl shook his head, 'You two are absolutely insane!'

'Hey now, Harry,' Ginny reprimanded, 'just because we're siblings doesn't mean that we must think on the same wavelength and agree on everything. Not everyone is the same…'

Harry, finally shaken from his reverie, looked at the Dark Lord again, "That is where you are wrong, Voldemort. The world would not be perfect when everyone is the same! In fact, that would be the opposite of a perfect world. I cannot imagine a world without my two best friends constantly bickering and arguing. It just wouldn't be the same, and I am positive that the sentiment is shared throughout the world. It's time to end this!" Flourishing his wand, Harry launched a jet of purple light at his enemy. Voldemort whipped out his wand and erected a quick shield charm, averting the blast.

"Crucio" Voldemort shouted.

"Protego!" The shield came up but Voldemort's curse blasted through it like a bomb to a toothpick structure. Searing hot pain lanced through Harry as he dropped to the ground writhing. Voldemort grinned wickedly above him. Quickly focusing his mind, Harry expanded his focus throughout his whole body and with a tremendous heave, he thrust the curse off of his body and gained his balance again. "Impendimenta!" he shouted, but the curse missed.

"Inflego tergum" Voldemort yelled. There was no beam or ray of light, however, Harry felt a massive body of energy collide with him knocking him back several feet.

"Incendio!" A stream of fire erupted from Harry's wand, lighting the Dark Lord's cloak aflame. Then he quickly followed up his spell with another, "Impervius." This effectively blocked off all of the water charms that were cast.

Voldemort glared menacingly at Harry before muttering, "Totus terminus." which extinguished the spells affecting him. "Clever, Harry, but it is finally time to end this. I'm sure you know what curse I'm about to use on you." Time stopped for Harry as he watched his lifelong nemesis cast:

"Avada Kedavra!"

The time had come. This was the moment the Harry had spent his life training for. Calling up the wonderful memories he had at school with his friends and peer, Harry focused his entire being on the feelings of love and joy. "Subsisto Absolute!" Harry shouted. A large, opaque dome of protection rose around Harry. The flashing jade beam crashed against the enigmatic fortification before completely dissipating.

Voldemort suddenly crumbled to the ground. "What sorcery is this? My power-it is all gone!"

Harry released his spell and pointed his wand levelly at the evil wizard. "The reign of Voldemort, the Dark Lord, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Tom Riddle, is over." Rapidly flicking and swishing his wand about, Harry formed a complicated pattern before directing his wand at Voldemort for the last time, "Goodbye, Tom. Signumis Fatum!" A pure, unblemished white ray of light pierced Voldemort through his middle and his fake body promptly exploded. His spirit was ejected from the body and brutally captured by the ancient magic.

A piercing scream exploded throughout the field and all of the fighting stopped. "I… will never be forgotten…"

The battle was over. The Death Eaters having lost their leader all fled while the Aurors quickly reacted and began to round them up. The sky-as if on cue-began to brighten as the morale-raising sun crept up over the horizon. Suddenly, a weight seemed to have been lifted off of the land. Harry stared transfixed at the spot where Voldemort had had been just a moment before. "No, you will never be forgotten…" then he collapsed onto the ground with the call of his friends in his ears.

~<>~

Regaining consciousness, Harry glanced around quickly to find himself in a clean white room, complete with white curtains, a white comforter, a white pillow, and white sheets. Rolling his eyes to himself, he heard the whispers of his concerned friends from through his bed curtains. "If I had a guess… I'd say I was in the hospital…again." He wondered aloud to himself.

All of the talking immediately stopped and the drapes around his bed were thrust open as he was assaulted by Ron and Ginny. Ginny sat up from hugging him and slapped Harry. Ron's eyes widened in surprise, "What was that for, Gin?"

Ginny grinned tearfully before embracing Harry again, "Sorry, Harry, but you gave us a right scare there. How could you be so inconsiderate as to faint on us! We thought you were dead!"

Ron laughed, "Yeah Harry, how could you even think about falling unconscious after defeating the most feared and powerful wizard in history."

Harry smiled a genuine smile, "I'm glad it's all over guys. How is everyone else?"

"Most everyone else is alright. We lost a lot of people though…" Ron trailed off.

"Luna's alright though, after Ron saved her!" Ginny winked at her brother whose face turned scarlet.

"Luna, eh?" Harry smiled, "Nice work, mate. Anyways, how long have I been out?"

"Just a week, we were all expecting longer though, but you heal pretty fast."

"A week!? How?"

Suddenly, Madam Pomfrey bustled into the room. "Ah! I'm glad to see you're awake, Mr. Potter! Welcome back to St. Mungo's."

"St. Mungo's?" Harry asked, "We're not in Hogwarts."

"No, Harry, your injuries had to be treated here."

"Why are you here though?"

The Healer huffed before replying, "I wasn't about to let those brainless Ministry Healers have at you. You would've been confined to your bed while they had you practicing your fine motor skills by signing rotten papers that you don't even half understand!"

The trio laughed at this, "Thanks Madam Pomfrey." Harry added gratefully, "When will I be out of here?"

"You seem fine now. So I should be able to release you. But you used a fine great deal of magic at the final battle. I would refrain from any strenuous magic work for the next couple weeks-but knowing you, I don't know why I bother suggesting! Just your practical class work shouldn't be too stressful on you-assuming that you do return to school." Ron, Ginny and Harry raised their eyebrows, "You're a hero now, Harry, if you wanted, you could probably do nearly anything you could want."

Harry looked to his friends before replying, "I'm definitely going back to school! I finally have the chance to be a normal teenage boy, and I'm not giving that up for anything!" Ron and Ginny smiled, relieved, while Madam Pomfrey nodded.

"Alright then! I will let them know that you are up and I'll have everything taken care of for you, Harry. You may go. I expect to see you again sometime in the next couple weeks."

Harry grinned, "I'll see what I can do about that, ma'am."

The trio promptly flooed back to The Burrow before they could get swamped by reporters and interviewers. Landing back in The Burrow, Harry barely had time to brush off his robes before he was enveloped in a bone crushing hug by Mrs. Weasley. "Hi Mrs. Weasley! Agh-I can't breathe…"

"Come on, mum," Ron groaned, "Just because Voldemort didn't kill Harry doesn't mean you should take up his job!"

Molly Weasley glared at her youngest son before releasing Harry to go embrace her other children. "I was just so worried about you, dears. I'm glad that it's finally all over."

"I am too. Thanks again, for letting me stay until Hogwarts starts again!" Harry grinned.

"I'm so proud of you, Harry for deciding to return to school! That was a very mature decision." Molly said, glancing at Ron who just rolled his eyes.

"Harry!" a loud exclamation came from the stairs. Fred and George bounded down to greet their friend. Their heads were heavily bandaged and it gave the twins a comical look. Harry looked at them questioningly.

"Ah, these?" Fred asked pointing at the bandages.

"No worries, we just got ah-"

"Careless!"

"Right! That's the word."

Harry laughed, "Nice work at the battle guys, I saw what you guys were doing."

"Anything to be of service-"

"-To the grand ol' Harry Potter!"

"We thought it would lighten up the mood-"

"-Considering how serious everyone was! Everyone deserves a good laugh."

Molly intervened here, bustling past the twins into the kitchen, "Why don't you all go into the living room to recall those-exciting-memories."

The friends all grinned at each other before they made their way into an adjacent room. A nice warm fire was growling-as opposed to roaring-gently in the hearth and the squashy beige chairs actually added to the room's "homey-ness". The five teenagers settled themselves into the couches around an oval coffee table. There they entertained each other with jokes, stories, and whimsical tales of what could be.

"And so," George said while Fred continued,

"We tell them that," the brothers look at each other and grin widely, "What they're drinking isn't tea-but it rhymes with that!" they announced in perfect unison. Harry, Ron and Ginny burst out in laughter!

"Oh my goodness!" Ginny exclaimed with Ron rolling on the floor.

Harry stopped laughing long enough to ask, "Did those Ministry Monkeys, as you call them, still let you open the new shop after that?"

"Well, that's an approval letter we've been waiting on since that day." George said with a wink.

"Well, it's not our fault. The application guidelines specifically said that the Examiners as they're called enjoyed a good joke and an entertaining idea. I don't even know how you could get more 'entertaining' than that, though!" Fred added.

"How is it that your shop is actually open then?" Ginny asked, she quickly kicked a laughing Ron. Ron got up with tears streaming from his eyes-but nobody thought that those were from pain.

"Let's just say that we know some high up people that owe us their lives." George answered mysteriously.

With that, Fred and George got up and the two shook Harry's hand again, "Congratulations again, Harry. We'll see you around-maybe the next Hogsmeade visit! Be sure to visit! We have a 'World Savior Discount'!"

Harry rolled his eyes and waved as Fred and George Weasley apparated out. Harry looked at his smiling friends, and by the delicious aromas coming from the kitchen, it became obvious to him that he would have a fantastic year.

AN2: I hope you enjoyed that! Again, comments are appreciated. I you guys don't really like this, then I see no reason to continue so let me know if I should continue posting! As a random fact that popped into my head, I was listening to Nobuo Uematsu's Sairin: Kata Tsubasa no Tenshi (One Winged Angel) while typing the battle scene. So… I'd like to credit wonderful Mr. Uematsu for inspiring everything!

AN3: Wow! Sorry to be doing this to you. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to center text here at Portkey. Nothing I've tried seems to work. Thanks again!