Unofficial Portkey Archive

Separated by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Separated

Konflickted

A/N: Here, my dears, is the epilogue. It is a little cheesy, but it wraps things up nicely. Read and review, my friends.

The Epilogue

It was almost fall already, five years later, and still it seemed like yesterday that Harry had finally been able to hold Hermione in his arms the way that she was meant to be in his arms. He had nodded a good bye to Andromeda, who had promised to have them both over to get properly introduced to young Teddy Lupin, and the two of them returned to Hermione's house. Harry couldn't deny that Malfoy had done the right thing, killing his own father. Harry would have done the same to save Hermione, though he doubted his father would have ever been like Lucius Malfoy.

"Honey, you have better be going if you want to make it with enough time to not miss the train," Hermione said from the bed. Harry glanced over at her and smiled. She was a sight of undeniable beauty. She was tired looking, but then again, their new little son was a ravenous beast of a child.

"Are you sure that you and Jay are going to be ok while I am gone?" Harry asked uncertainly as Hermione's eyelid drooped. She jerked awake and looked at the small baby that already looked just like Harry, suckling hungrily at Hermione's breast.

"I will be fine, and Ginny has the day off, so she said that she would stop by with Fleur. Plus Ron and his wife, Carol, are coming by for dinner," Hermione said sleepily. She looked at the clock. "Really, Harry, you have to go. The train leaves in half an hour and you promised you would be there."

"I'm going, really," Harry said as he gathered his coat. "I am heading over to see Draco afterwards, so don't hold supper, ok?"

"I remember, I know, now go, ok?" Hermione said grinning at her husband sleepily. Harry laughed and kissed Hermione on the mouth. He pressed a kiss to his son's forehead.

"Now, Jay, you take care of mum while I am gone, and you be a good boy. No house parties, ok?" Harry told the tiny baby. The baby passed gas in response and Harry laughed.

"Sound just like his Uncle Ron, doesn't he?" Hermione said grinning. Harry nodded.

"See you later, dear," Harry said. He apparated to a bathroom stall near the train platform nine and three quarters. He hurried through the barrier and looked around until he saw Andromeda standing there with a very eager looking boy.

"Uncle Harry!" Teddy cried, throwing himself at Harry. Harry hugged him tightly.

"I can't believe you are already going to Hogwarts," Harry said as he released the boy.

"Me, neither," Andromeda said as she hugged Harry.

"I am so going to be in Gryffindor, just like my dad!" Teddy said eagerly. His smile faded. "What if I am not put in Gryffindor?"

"I wouldn't worry about it, Ted," Harry said reassuringly. "You will do fine, I promise."

"The train is going to be leaving soon," Andromeda said. "I will give you two a few minutes."

Harry waited until Andromeda was safely out of ear shot and reached into his pocket, pulling out a familiar looking piece of parchment. Teddy looked at it curiously and Harry sat down on a bench, followed by Teddy.

"What is that?" Teddy asked. Harry grinned and lowered his voice.

"Our fathers, yours and mine, joined by Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew, made this. It is the Marauders Map, and it made my life at Hogwarts so much more interesting. You need only say `I solemnly swear I am up to no good'. When you are done, you need only say `mischief managed'. Normally, I would hang on to this, but since your dad and my dad were best friends, I think you have every right to it as I do," Harry said handing him the map. Teddy took it and stuck it in his pocket quickly. "Anyways, it will be some years before Jay will be heading to Hogwarts."

"Thank you, Harry," Teddy said.

"I wish your dad could have been here to see you head off to school," Harry said after a few minutes of silence. Harry looked at the boy, who was smiling at him.

"My dad and mum are always with me," Teddy said placing his hand over his heart. Harry almost cried, but he was cut off by the blaring of the train whistle.

"You have a good school year, and write me, will you?" Harry asked. Teddy nodded as he headed to hug Andromeda good-bye.

"I will," Teddy said as he returned to hug Harry on last time before heading toward the train. Harry waited with Andromeda until the train pulled away from the station and disappeared from sight. Andromeda dabbed some tears away.

"You wait, Harry. One day, it will be you and Hermione standing here saying good-bye to Jay," Andromeda said through her tears. Harry couldn't make her out though, for he had tears of his own in his eyes.

After a while, the two parted and Harry headed to the minimum security prison that Draco Malfoy was being detained. After checking his wand in with the guards, Harry headed over to the table where Draco was sitting. For someone who had been in prison for five years, Draco seemed to be in high spirits. He actually smiled at Harry as Harry sat down opposite of him.

"Good to see you, Harry," Draco said with his hands shackled in front of him.

"You, too, Draco. You look well, amazingly," Harry said. Draco nodded.

"So far, it seems, that I am cured," Draco said. "Did Hermione get the package I sent her?"

"Yeah, she got it, and they are already mass producing the cure for those who want it," Harry said. He looked away for a moment, guiltily. Harry had been slightly jealous by Hermione's excitement from receiving Draco's notes.

"It is what got me a reduction of sentence," Draco said. He hesitated. "Is she happy? She never visits."

"She is, Draco," Harry said quiet awkwardly. "You know, we married two years ago."

"Yes, my mother told me. She said it was a beautiful ceremony. You are a lucky guy. Hermione is a wonderful woman," Draco said quietly.

"Yes, she is," Harry said. He hesitated again, pulling a picture from his pocket. Harry slid it across the table toward Draco. Draco took it carefully in his hands as if he was handling the person inside the picture.

"This is the two of you on your wedding day? You both look so happy," Draco said.

"We are," Harry said. He took out the second photo and pushed it across. "We have a son, James Draco Potter. We call him Jay. If it wasn't for you, neither she nor I would have had our happy ending."

"Harry, wow," Draco said as he looked at the picture in awe.

"Yeah," Harry said grinning. "He was born a few days ago, and already he is a handful, but we love him."

"Congratulations to both of you," Draco said as he handed back the pictures.

"When you get out, Hermione and I want you to come by and have dinner with us," Harry said as he put the pictures back in his pocket. "We want you to meet our son, and we want to thank you properly for giving us what you did."

"I would like that," Draco said as Harry rose from his seat. "Send Hermione my love, will you?

"Yeah, I will. Well, then, we will see you in what? Three months?" Harry asked. Draco smiled.

"Yeah, three months. For good behavior," Draco said. Harry and he laughed.

"We both know neither of us know the meaning of the words," Harry said. Draco nodded.

"Oh, and Potter? I know I tell you this every time we see each other, but I feel I have to. Take care of her," Draco said. Harry nodded once.

"I always do," Harry said. He headed out the doors to the minimum security prison and apparated home. He sought out his wife and kissed her.

"How did it go?" Hermione asked as Harry gathered his son up in his arms and climbed into bed next to her.

"Good," Harry said. "Teddy has the map, so I am sure Andromeda will thank me for that later."

"Right," Hermione said laughing.

"And Draco sends his love," Harry said ducking his head so that Hermione wouldn't see his jealousy. The motion didn't go un-noticed by Hermione, who laughed.

"Harry, please tell me that you are not jealous," Hermione teased. She grinned at him, taking the baby.

"I am not," Harry lied.

"Liar, but that is ok," Hermione said smiling at her husband. "It is you, not Draco, that I have ever imagined having my happily ever after with."

"Ok, so we will," Harry said, smiling as he embraced his wife, his son nestled in her arms.

"I can't think of anything more perfect than this moment in time," Hermione sighed.

"Me, neither," Harry said as he reveled in the beauty of his wife and his newborn son. It was the closest thing to a happily ever after that Harry could imagine. Nothing could be more perfect.

-->