Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ronald Weasley and the Costume of Doom by Longfletch
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ronald Weasley and the Costume of Doom

Longfletch

This was something I wrote for the 7 `Fore 7 festivities on the forums. It's kind of old, but it fits with the upcoming season. Enjoy and review!

-----------------------------------------------

Ron sat flabbergasted at his kitchen table. Luna's sketch of their Halloween costumes had left him speechless. His mind flashed to their conversation a week ago.

"Luna, I'm not sure about this."

"Trust me, Ronald. We're guaranteed to win the costume contest this year."

"But-I'm going to look cool, right?"

"Of course."

Looking at her finished result, Ron was reminded that her sense of the word "cool" was much unlike his own. He had thought of something like a vampire or a giant or even that Muggle superhero Superman, but this was ridiculous.

"You can't possibly expect me to wear that," he said, voice tight with shock.

"But we'll complement each other so well." She leaned over his shoulder to trace the sketches with her finger. "I know they're complicated, but I've already called in a few favors to make it work."

He turned in his chair with the intent of saying no. There was no way he could wear…that. He opened his mouth to speak, but then he made the mistake of looking into her face. She was smiling in that serene way of hers and her slightly bulging eyes had an excited look to them. It was their first Halloween together. He couldn't let her down.

So this is how Dad feels when Mum convinces him to do something, he thought with a sigh. "Okay. When do we get started?" he asked resignedly.

Luna's smile grew brighter. "Tonight if you can. We'll need…." Her voice faded as Ron glanced at the sketchers again.

What have I done?
* * *

Three weeks later, Ron thought the same thing as he shuffled to Harry and Hermione's door. He would never have agreed to this a few years ago. Must be losing my marbles, he mused.

Luna practically led him by the hand. "Come on or we'll never get to see our competition."

Easy for her to say; she looks beautiful, he mentally grumbled. Her white, short gauzy dress and hair decorated with sticks haphazardly sticking out from her hair emphasized her ethereal air. She would be watched half of the night for sure. If Dean so much as looks at her the wrong way… he growled.

His murderous thoughts were interrupted by Luna ringing the doorbell. Dread weighed down in his stomach. Maybe everyone got sick and couldn't come. Or Harry and Hermione had to go on a business trip. No one was going to open the door. No one at….

Harry, as a pirate, opened the door with a grin. "Luna, you look great! Ro-" He trailed off as he stared at Ron's costume and his jaw dropped.

"He looks handsome, doesn't he?" She beamed with pride. "Are we going to be let in?" she said dreamily.

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, come in." He stepped aside to let them in.

Luna glided through the door, not letting go of Ron's hand. Harry closed it behind them and stared at Ron's costume. "Er, Luna, what are you guys supposed to be?"

"I'm a wood nymph," she stated. "Tell him what you are, Ronald."

He sighed. "I'm the beech tree she turns back into after she's had her wily way with men," he recited in a monotone.

Harry's eyes followed the elaborate branches loaded with enchanted orange lights on Ron's head that grazed the ceiling and swept down to the humongous bottom half that included a trunk and roots for shoes. The corners of Harry's mouth started to twitch. "I see. Everyone's in the living room. Sorry I can't lead you in there, but I have to-ah-handle some business." Harry turned on his heel and disappeared into one of the rooms, shoulders shaking. Ron could have sworn he heard muffled laughter.

She grabbed his hand and made her way to the party. Given Harry's actions, he didn't have a good feeling about the rest of the night. Merlin, I need some firewhiskey.

When she opened the door, there were two reactions. Most of the women except Hermione crowded around Luna asking her how she had made her dress, effectively cutting Ron off. She walked out of the room quickly. The men on the other hand, guffawed into cups and hands or coughed. He blushed heavily and tried to squeeze himself into a corner. This could not get any worse.

Malfoy walked over from the door. "Looks like she got you to what she wanted again," he snickered.

"Shut it."

"I always knew you were whipped, but this? Come on."

"You keep quiet!" he hissed. "What are you supposed to be anyway, a clown or something?"

"I am a matador, thank you very much. Your sister," he pointed to the red-haired woman wearing a colorful dress, "is the woman I ravish after successfully defeating another bull."

Ron was about hit him with a group of twigs that was actually his fist when Harry stepped between them. "I know you two don't get along outside of here, but can we make an effort tonight? I'd for you to ruin your costumes."

Malfoy shrugged while Ron glowered. If only those stupid twigs weren't blocking his view, he would have had him. Harry handed him a cup. "Here, I thought you'd appreciate some liquor."

He took it gratefully and downed it all in one gulp. "Thanks, mate," he rasped as he handed the cup back.

"How did you end up-well-"

"Looking like you came out a forest?" Malfoy snorted.

"I don't know. I was going to say no, but she looked so bloody excited. I just couldn't after that." He scuffed at the carpet, and muttered, "It was impossible."

"It took a lot of balls to wear that," Harry said admiringly.

"Or none at all," Malfoy mumbled under his breath.

Malfoy's negative comments were forgotten as others came over to admire or kid Ron on the costume. For the rest of the night, he was the center of attention. "I have to say, Luna certainly made sure you stood out tonight," Hermione told him later that night.

Luna hugged his arm. "He always stands out. It's the red hair."

He grinned widely. He had to admit that this was one of the more exciting costumes from the past few years. If anyone could have pulled it off, it was his Luna. He gave her a peck on the cheek and said, "Thanks." She only smiled in response.

Twenty minutes later, Harry and Hermione stood at the front of the room and called for everyone's attention. "I know we all want to get to the part we've been waiting for all evening, getting sloshed," Harry paused to let the cheers subside and block Hermione's elbow from digging into his ribs, "but, it's time to pick this year's winner. The winner will have bragging rights, the first drink, and the honor of hosting the party next year."

Hermione continued, "We're going to do this democratically and vote with the volume of cheers. We're going to start with Dean and Seamus as Abbot and Costello!"

There was absolute silence. In fact, there was silence for everyone except for Malfoy and Ginny since Malfoy gave himself a rather loud whoop. When no other yells were forthcoming, Malfoy grumbled, "Wankers."

"And finally, Ron and Luna!"

The room burst into applause and shouts from all corners. "This is unfair. He's a bloody tree!" Malfoy tried to roar over the din.

Luna pulled a surprised Ron to where Harry and Hermione were standing. He was a bloody tree. They shouldn't have won at all.

"Will you do the honors, Ronald?" Luna purred.

"Uh, yeah. Let's get drunk!"

More cheers followed. Ron turned to Luna with a confused look on his face. "But-but--"

"I told you we were guaranteed to win," she said quietly and gave him a quick kiss. "Happy Halloween."

He was still confused, but that was life, and winning, with Luna. "Happy Halloween. I guess."

-->