Unofficial Portkey Archive

Thanksgiving Harmony by Jo Bob
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Thanksgiving Harmony

Jo Bob

Holidays

A Compilation of Tales

~

AN: Hey everyone! I've been absent as of late, but this is the latest thing that I've produced. I want to wish everyone reading a very happy Thanksgiving! Hopefully, this fic will become a compilation of stories that show exactly how "right" Harry and Hermione are together! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and as always, reviews are highly appreciated! Cheers!

Disclaimer: None of this is mine! Regardless of the many plots I have to conquer the world and proclaim Harry Potter as my own idea, these ideas have yet to come into reality. Ah well, good things come to those who wait, no?

~

Thanksgiving Harmony

In which there is still sweetness leftover from Halloween

Hermione skipped down the steps from the Girls' Dormitory lightly. She was going home today-and not alone either! This was wonderful news indeed. It wasn't Crookshanks (he was still going home with Hermione, by the way… he just wasn't the important guest… eh… more important guest, sorry Crookshanks), it wasn't the colony of termites that lived happily in her trunk (they were going home too, but that's not important either), and no it wasn't even the lice in Hermione's hair (which are nonexistent, for your information).

One excited Harry Potter was coming home with Hermione on this fine day. Yes, the one and only Harry Potter, the vanquisher of the Dark Lord Voldemort (that's another story entirely), the single most celebrated wizard in history, was coming home with Hermione Granger, the Brightest Witch of her Age, the infamous Nagger, the… well… normal eighteen year old girl. All it took was some honest begging and cold reasoning (he didn't have parents… what was he supposed to do back here in Hogwarts anyways.)

With all of those nasty Dark Lords and their followers disposed of, the world was an entirely brighter place. Even the occasional cloudy sky had its own sparkle of joy hidden in its dark mass. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, being the benevolent school that it is, would be letting all students out for the remainder of the week to spend time with their families through the period of time commonly known as "Thanksgiving". Dumbledore and his insane fascination with muggles…

Now this holiday is rather self-explanatory, but for those that wanted a little insight, Thanksgiving is a time of "giving thanks". Pretty neat, eh, you just switch the position of those two words and BAM! you have the name of a holiday. Not too creative you might say? Blame it on the Americans, they weren't the brightest crayons when it came to naming important events. Now of course, you should definitely give them credit for getting to the point. Where we could have had "Grand Collision of National Superpowers, V 2.0", they have "World War II" it gets right to the point. The world was at war… for the second time… We digress though, enough about Americans and clever holiday names. Let's dig a wee bit deeper into the meaning of Thanksgiving. It's a time to give thanks for the things that one often takes for granted. And considering the massive turmoil that the wizarding world just emerged out of, Thanksgiving is definitely a necessary and apt holiday to instate. Before we leave the subject of being creative (or the lack of creativity), the wizarding world just happened to decide that this very special holiday would happen around the same time as the Muggle holiday. Why make things complicated? Voldemort was defeated not too long before this day, might as well keep this simple.

Now, if we could return from our long tangent back to Hermione skipping (go ahead, you can check that she's skipping if you want), we will continue with our tale.

Hermione reached the bottom of the stairs and quickly checked her hair. She had attempted to brush it (note the operative word). Hey, it never hurts to try to look nice for a guy-even if he is completely out of your league, which entirely missed the point anyways. She had arranged to meet Harry down here in the Common Room of the Gryffindor Tower. They would go down to breakfast and board the Hogwarts Express which would take them back to the land of the Muggles. Knowing Harry though, he would probab-definitely be late. Hermione didn't mind too much, he was a boy after all and they're not known for being right on time. Hermione pulled a book out of her pocket, enlarged it and continued where she had left off previously…

After he secured the smuggled beer, George quickly shut the trunk of the car and swung around to the front of the car…

"Sorry, Hermione! I couldn't find my favorite pair of socks." Hermione quickly shut her book at the disruption and Harry (with his laden trunk) came crashing down the stairs.

"It's alright." Hermione answered smoothly as she shrunk her book and put it in her pocket once again.

"Yeah, yeah, I should have listened to you and packed last night. The Quidditch game was just so intense though." Harry offered her a weak smile. Hermione nodded in understanding. "What were you reading there? An insightful book?" Harry asked curiously.

Hermione averted her eyes quickly, "You could say that." She replied.

Harry grinned knowingly (oh, if only he really knew!) "Why don't we head on down to breakfast now? The train will be leaving right after and I'd hate to leave Hogwarts on an empty stomach."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Need any help with that trunk, Harry?" she offered.

"Nah, I got it." Harry whipped out his wand and with a wave, his trunk was hovering weightlessly.

"Show off," Hermione muttered with a small smile.

"Come on, let's go find Ron." Harry said ignoring her jibe, "I want to at least say goodbye."

The two made their way out of the Common Room and down the stairs to the Great Hall.

~<>~

"Harry" Ron started through a mouthful of food, "are you sure you're okay with going back with Hermione? It's not too late to change your mind. Mum would love to have you over for our first Thanksgiving celebration. You know how she likes to cook…"

Harry laughed and grinned mischievously, "Nah, I'm sure, mate. Hermione's right, I've never gone over to her house for anything. I'm sure you wouldn't want me around to distract you from Luna anyways!"

"Luna?" Hermione asked with a raised eyebrow.

Ron flushed and Harry smirked, "Luna's going to be present at the 'family' celebration!"

Hermione grinned too, "How wonderful, Ron! You must say 'hello' to her for me. You two would definitely make a great couple."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Ron waved the comments off and attempted to bury himself in the food before him. It was difficult to miss how red his ears had suddenly become though.

Dumbledore stood up regally at the head of the room. The entire hall was silent within moments as the students waited patiently for him to give the final announcements before they were released to board the train and head back home for a well-deserved break. "Good morning students. I don't have much to say, however, over the course of your break, do not forget the reason that we celebrate. If it wasn't for the sacrifice of hundreds of honorable wizards and witches, we would not live in the safe world that we are enjoying now. With that said, in the rush of today, do not forget the most important things in life. Those are the things that will always be there… your friends and family." Dumbledore now broke out into his characteristic smile, "With that said, you may enjoy your wonderful breakfasts. The Hogwarts Express should be leaving soon after breakfast."

~<>~

Breakfast continued and concluded without any further notable event. Harry, Hermione and Ron made their way down the train station together as they were discussing their plans for the break.

"Dad said that he'd heard that some muggles ate an entire turkey during their Thanksgiving! I'm going to see if I can get mum to get one for us. You should come just in case she does, Harry." Ron said with great enthusiasm.

Hermione rolled her eyes and Harry simply laughed. "You seem to forget that Hermione is from a muggle family. I'm sure we'll be having a nice turkey at your house, right Hermione?"

Hermione nodded, "Of course! Mum cooks the absolute best turkey ever! You'll love it, Harry. I can't wait for my parents to meet you." Hermione smiled, "We'll have so much fun this break."

It was Ron's turn to roll his eyes, "I'm sure you'll have loads of fun spending the entire break studying, mate." Harry laughed.

Hermione's radiant smile instantly turned to a frown. She turned to glare at the two boys. "If that's how you really feel," she huffed, "Then that's fine. You two can spend your first Thanksgiving break together for all I care." With that, she stomped off into the train. The door closed with a loud slam behind her.

"What's got her knickers in a twist?" Ron asked.

Harry sighed. This wasn't how he had planned this break out. "If you want to get anywhere with Luna, then you've got to learn to be more sensitive, Ron." He said simply. Harry then quickly left Ron to go in search of a distraught Hermione.

Harry moved from compartment to compartment in search of Hermione. Each attempt proved fruitless as he peeked inside every compartment only to find giggling girls and boys that were excited for the break. Harry had almost given up hope when he heard crying from inside a lavatory. Looking up quickly, Harry blushed when he realized it was a girl's restroom. It was one of the last places to check though… Harry looked around quickly and as soon as he determined that the corridor was relatively devoid of other people (you can never be too sure), he swiftly let himself into the occupied restroom.

Whoever it was that had been sniffling stopped immediately. Harry couldn't quite tell if it was actually Hermione… how embarrassing it would be if it turned out to be someone else. He was left with no choice though; Harry swallowed loudly and called out, "Hermione?"

Harry heard movement from one of the stalls, "Harry?" Hermione emerged shortly after.

Harry let out a breath that he didn't even realize he was holding. He smiled slightly, but was at a loss for words. What was there to say?

"What are you doing here, Harry? This is the girls' restroom."

"Uh…" Wow, really smooth… Harry had to do some quick thinking here, "I came to check up on you. Are you alright, Hermione?"

"Yes." She answered stiffly.

Harry sighed, "Look, Hermione, I'm sorry about earlier. You know that Ron was just poking fun at you." Hermione only grumbled intelligibly so Harry continued, "you should also know better than anyone else that I'm really excited to be spending the entire break with you-and your family."

"Aren't you afraid that I'll just make you study the whole time?"

Harry was rather confused. The Hermione he knew was never insecure about anything, especially not such trivial things. What was it that was bothering her so much? Harry moved to envelope her in a warm hug which she returned. "I don't care." Harry said firmly, "What matters is that I'm studying with my best friend over a wonderful Thanksgiving break. As long as I get to spend time with you, it doesn't matter what we do, I'm sure we'd have fun."

Hermione finally smiled, "You mean that, Harry?"

"Of course I do." Harry answered softly. This was his chance! He'd been dying to confess his feelings to Hermione for the longest time. This supposedly romantic confession might be hindered just a little bit by being in the girls' bathroom, so… maybe he should wait just a while longer. Harry wanted the moment to be perfect. "Are you sure you're okay? Why did you set off like that? It's not really like you to react to Ron like that."

She blushed prettily (which Harry didn't quite understand) and said, "I dunno…" Harry was skeptical about this answer but decided to let it go for the moment. The important thing was that Hermione wasn't upset anymore. "Harry?"

"Hmm?"

"I was upset because I wanted you to have fun at my house."

"What do you mean?"

Hermione sighed, "Ron's house is always so exciting and fun. I just want you to have a good time with my family-and me. I know that my house probably isn't nearly as eventful as the Weasley household but-"

Harry promptly stopped her from speaking, "It's alright Hermione. Excitement is great every once in a while, but it's always nice to have some quiet time as well. I'll really looking forward to a nice and simple week with you-and your parents!"

Hermione smiled, "I won't disappoint you, Harry."

"Good." Harry released her from his embrace and winked at her.

Looking into her beautiful eyes and at her characteristic smile, Harry finally succumbed to his feelings. Who cares if it's in a bathroom anyways? "Hermione?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"I, erm…" Harry gulped. What was he supposed to say again? All of that time rehearsing in front of the mirror… completely wasted…

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked. Worry quickly clouded over her features.

"No, no!" Harry said quickly, "Nothing is wrong. I just wanted to… erm… tell you something."

"What's that, Harry?"

"Well…" Harry took a deep breath, "I like you."

Hermione blinked. "That's nice, Harry. I like you too."

Harry was blushing furiously. "No! Not like that." Hermione raised an elegant eyebrow. "Wait, I mean-I do like you. As a friend and all. But… eh… I also fancy you!... I think…"

Hermione blinked again, "You fancy me… you think?"

Harry smacked his forehead. "Just forget it, Hermione. Sorry." With that he made to leave the lavatory.

"Wait just a minute here, Mr. Potter." Hermione said.

Harry reluctantly turned around to face her. Here it comes. Complete and utter rejection. Confusion replaced his dejection when he noticed a smile playing on her lips. Confusion became realization and finally: "You were putting me on this whole time weren't you!"

Hermione burst out into laughter, "Not the whole time, Harry. Just when you were trying to confess. I figured that was what you were trying to do at least."

"You're too smart for your own good." Harry muttered.

"Come on, Harry. It was just a joke."

"Yeah, yeah." Harry said offhandedly.

Hermione turned Harry to face her and said seriously, "Harry, I really do appreciate you coming to look for me. So many good things have turned out of that."

"Wait. Does that mean that you like me too?"

"Haven't I already told you that?" Hermione answered matter-of-factly.

Harry rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. "Just checking."

The two smiled at each other for the longest time. Finally, they started leaning in. Just as Harry got in close enough to feel Hermione's breath on his face, the door burst open!

The couple sprung apart to find Ron coming into the bathroom. "Harry?" he asked loudly. Hermione rolled her eyes. "Harry? Oh! There you are! Some second year told me that they saw you coming in here and I thought I'd give it a shot." It took a moment before he realized that Hermione was also here. "Oh, Hermione."

"Oh you too, Ron." Hermione answered evenly.

"Okay look, I'm sorry Hermione. I was just teasing you. I'm sure that when Harry made his decision, he'd already considered all of the potential study time."

Hermione rolled her eyes, "So much for that apology." She sighed dramatically, "Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?"

Ron nodded emphatically and Harry grinned. Ron then began fidgeting a little. "Well, you know that we're in the girls' bathroom, right Harry? I don't want to be in here too long so… eh… I'll go find a compartment for us…"

"I think I saw Luna farther down the aisle, Ron." Hermione said teasingly.

Ron's ear tips turned red and he did not answer before hastily making his way out of the bathroom.

Harry looked at Hermione again. The moment was definitely gone and Harry didn't want to push things too quickly. "Shall we go?" Harry asked while motioning towards the door.

Hermione smiled sweetly at him and nodded, "Sure. Let's make sure that Ron found the compartment I was talking about!"

Harry chuckled and gave her a quick hug before leading the way out of the lavatory.

It's surprising where relationships can begin!

AN2: Well, that's it! If I can find the time, I may extend this segment just a little bit. The focus of this fic is around several holidays though so don't be expecting too much of a major involving plotline! I hope you guys enjoyed that. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I think it's relatively acceptable. I'm considering rewriting it however. What do you guys think? Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!