Unofficial Portkey Archive

Locked, Shocked, and Flat on the Floor by Silver Dragon
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Locked, Shocked, and Flat on the Floor

Silver Dragon
Locked, Shocked, and Flat on the Floor
Part 1

Story by: Silver Dragon
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This was the first fic I posted. I started this after stumbling upon challenge on the forums and couldn't resist writing a fic of my own in response. Hopefully you will all enjoy it!
Disclaimer: Harry Potter, characters, and all related names and phrases are either copyright and/or registered trademarks of J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. and/or their respective owners. This is a fanfiction, no copyright infringement is intended.

~*~*~*~*~*~


"Alright, clean up and put away your things. Then you can go to lunch. Mr. Malfoy, please stop poking the bubotubers before…" Professor Sprout sighed as Draco Malfoy shrieked and shook his hand violently. One of the pustules on the plant had burst under his prodding finger and covered his hand in yellow green puss resulting in an extremely painful blister forming almost instantly where it touched his skin. The greenhouse filled with snickers as Draco slammed his other hand down on the plant only to curse and shriek some more as it too was covered in yellow green puss.

"What's the matter Malfoy? Forget what happened fourth year?" jibed Ron.

Draco tried to glare at him but only managed to grimace in pain as he trudged from the greenhouse with his ever present lackeys Crabbe and Goyle following close behind.

"I can't believe how stupid that was," said Ron while snickering joyfully at Malfoy's misfortune. "Even I remember what happens if you pop one of those things!"

"Really? That's got to be a new record. Don't you agree Hermione?" asked Harry while grinning at a slightly pink Ron.

"Yea. I thought the only thing you remembered from each year was what we had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner." Hermione laughed at the scowl Ron gave her. "Now Harry here," she grabbed Harry's arm and rested her head on his shoulder for the briefest of moments, "at least remembers Quidditch and, usually, my birthday. Speaking of which, it would be nice if you could remember to give a girl a present on her birthday for once, Ronald."

Ron rolled his eyes at her. So he had yet to remember her birthday until at least a week after the fact. He didn't see the big deal about it since he did at least remember it. Not to mention that Hermione never complained about it.

"I've remembered every other year. And I didn't forget! It was 11:58 when I gave you your present," said Harry as the three grabbed their books and left the greenhouse. "But if you're so upset about it I suppose I should take back my gift then."

"No way!" Hermione exclaimed a little too loudly, drawing the attention of the other students in the hallway. "I mean it'd be nice to actually get a gift from the both of you on my birthday instead of after it."

"Anyway, it's the thought that counts you know…" muttered Ron. "Speaking of gifts, you never did tell me what Harry gave you."

"Oh…umm…" Hermione's cheeks reddened slightly as she felt her wrist. She slowly came to a stop before looking at her wrist in horror. It was gone! "I-I'll uh...be right back. I left something in the greenhouse!" Quickly, before either of her friends could respond, she turned and ran. How could I be so careless?! Hermione screamed at herself.

"What's wrong with her?" Ron asked Harry as they watched Hermione nearly run into a group of students that had just rounded a corner in the hall.

Harry shrugged and replied, "I don't know. You go on ahead. I'll see what's going on."

"Good luck mate. I hate talking to her when she's acting weird," replied Ron as he let his stomach direct him to the great hall and the food there in.

It's a wonder you talk to her at all then, Harry thought rather dryly while shaking his head. You think she always acts weird.

As he approached the greenhouse Harry could see Hermione through the glass wall and quirked an eyebrow at her. She was jumping on top of a table, apparently trying to reach one of the vines growing along the ceiling. Whatever it was that she left here surely couldn't be up there.

"So what is it you're looking for and how could it have gotten up there?"

Hermione, startled by someone suddenly talking behind her, tried to spin around as she landed. The only thing she succeeded in doing was tripping and falling. Luckily Harry's reflexes, honed by sixteen years of dodging Dudley and six years of playing Quidditch, were quick enough to allow him to catch her. Or at least it was lucky until she found her eyes locked with the deep emerald pools of his eyes and their lips only a few scant inches apart.

She felt her pulse quicken and could hear the beating of her heart reverberating in her ears like a tiny drum. Each thump seeming to send warm tingly feelings throughout every fiber of her being. Hermione didn't particularly care at that moment whether it was from how she was being held or just by whom it was that was holding her that caused this new exciting, and yet frightening, reaction. All she knew was that it felt good. Damn good. But then her mind, which seemed to have shut down upon realization that Harry was holding her in a way that wasn't exactly friend like, kicked in and Logical Hermione took over partial control of her thoughts. What was wrong with her? Harry, her best and closest friend for the last six years, was the one holding her! Why did it feel so wonderful, so wrong, so wonderfully wrong, to be held in Harry's arms like this? Surely wasn't…couldn't be… He's my best friend, thought Hermione. I can't bebeI just can't be… She couldn't find the words to describe it. And that realization scared her even more. Never in her sixteen years of life had she been at a loss for words. Why doesn't he kiss me already? Hermione blinked upon realizing what she had just thought and seemed to come back to reality.

"T-thanks," she stuttered after somehow managing to find her voice.

"You're," Harry cleared his throat nervously, "welcome." For some reason he hadn't been able to move since Hermione fell into his arms. Or, to be more exact, he couldn't move in a manor that would end without him getting slapped, punched, kicked, or hexed into oblivion. His heart was pounding in his chest and screaming for him to close the distance between her lips and his own. To kiss her. To kiss his best friend. To kiss Hermione! But he couldn't. Could he? No! Definitely not, he decided. This was Hermione after all and she wouldn't want that. Oh but he did. For the first time since he'd met her on that first train ride to Hogwarts he wanted to kiss her. Well…maybe it wasn't the first time he'd thought about kissing her. He had had plenty of dreams about doing that, and a lot more, to her. But she's Hermione. His best friend! The person that seems to know him better than he knows himself. What was that? Had Hermione just said something? Yes, he could tell by the look in her eyes that she had and that she was awaiting his reply. "What did you sa-ay?" asked Harry, his voice cracking.

"I said you can put me down now."

"Huh?" he blinked several times before realizing he was still holding her in his arms. Somehow he had managed to forget that she was in his arms. "Oh r-right… Sorry." Harry released her, though his hands remained on her arms a tad longer than was perhaps necessary.

They both stood there feeling rather foolish and embarrassed at what had just transpired. What was it exactly that had just happened? And for that matter, why did it happen?

Harry ran a hand through his unruly black hair while seeming to find the stone floor of the greenhouse very interesting. Why had he wanted to kiss Hermione? Not that I wouldn't like to kis- Stop thinking like that Harry! This is Hermione for Merlin's sake! Out of the corner of his eye he saw Hermione quickly bend over and pick something up off the floor. But before he could get a glimpse of it she had stuffed it into her pocket. "What was that?" he asked, silently grateful for the distraction.

"What was what?" Hermione replied rather nervously. She had hoped he hadn't seen her pick the bracelet up off the floor.

Is she trying to hide something? thought Harry while saying, "What is it that you just picked up?"

"Huh? Oh… It was just…" Hermione contemplated what to say for a second before blurting out, "My quill!"

"Ok…" Yep. Definitely hiding something.

Hermione felt relief wash over her since Harry had apparently bought the lie. Or so she thought.

Harry smiled at her and said, "Now you and I both know that it wasn't your quill that you picked up."

Why was he pressing the issue? Normally if she didn't want to tell him something then he'd let it slide.

Hermione stood nervously biting her lip. I can't tell him it's the bracelet he gave me! What would he think if he found out I never take it off? He knows I never wear jewelry

"Hermione?" said Harry, causing her to jump slightly, when she hadn't replied after nearly an entire minute had passed. It didn't seem like it had been very long to her. When she looked at him Harry could see fear in her eyes. Fear that he knew he had somehow managed to put there. And that didn't sit well in the pit of his stomach. Then it hit him. He had seen the object glitter in the sunlight when Hermione had quickly picked it up. And that seriously narrowed the possibilities of what it could be. His mind raced with what it could be before screeching to a halt as he realized what it must be, jewelry. Hermione must have gotten a piece of jewelry from someone and dropped it by accident. This realization caused anger, jealousy, and sorrow to well up in him. Anger at some guy having the gall to give his Hermione a piece of jewelry. Jealously at the thought of said guy having her affections. And sorrow that she was now, apparently, taken. Of course he forgot the fact that he had gotten her a bracelet as a birthday gift only a few weeks ago. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he said softly.

Hermione brushed a stray lock of hair behind her ear and gave Harry a questioningly look. She would have had to be deaf to miss the hurt undertones in his words. The sorrow in his voice gripped her heart painfully. "Harry…"

Harry watched as Hermione reached into her pocket and ever so slowly, as if she were trying to torment him, began to take out the object she had been so quick to hide from him.

Uncertainty was twisting his insides into knots. Did he really want to know what it was? Did he really want to know what guy had had the audacity to give Hermione jewelry? Did he really want to know who it was that Hermione apparently liked so much? Did he really want to know why she had hidden it from him? Yes, he growled under his breath. I want to know so I can hex him to death and then beat him to a bloody pulp!

But then Hermione's hand was out of her pocket and there, lying on her palm, was a bracelet. The bracelet. The one that he had given her for her birthday. Harry felt relief flow through him along with a sense of euphoria at seeing it. But if it's just the one I got her then why's she acting like this?

"Hermione," Harry looked at her face to see that she was blushing terribly. "Why are you embarrassed about that? It's just the bracelet I got you?"

WHAT?! Hermione screamed in the confines of her head. JUST the bracelet… "Just the bracelet you gave me?" she spat, her tone almost angry, as a confused Harry stared at her. "Harry! This isn't just…" she trailed off, suddenly afraid of what she almost said. "This bracelet means a lot to me. Ok?" said Hermione before biting her lip and hoping that Harry wouldn't question her further.

"Ok," replied Harry while nodding slowly before stepping closer too her and taking the bracelet out of her hand.

Hermione opened her mouth to ask what he was doing but shut it when Harry gently took her hand, causing a cloud of butterflies to take flight in her stomach, and tenderly fastened the bracelet around her slender wrist. Their eyes met and locked again for the second time since they had reentered the greenhouse.

"T-thanks," replied Hermione, looking away while making a show of checking to make sure everything was still in her bag.

Harry merely nodded and found his eyes resting on something that, while extremely attractive and pleasant, didn't help his troubled thoughts, Hermione's legs. Just now, as he had fastened the bracelet around Hermione's wrist, he had again felt a desire to kiss her. And, like he had done earlier when holding her in his arms, he had forced it aside. Though this time he had found it more difficult to do so. Glancing at the clock above the door he realized that lunch was almost over. "We better hurry or we'll miss lunch."

Hermione nodded, her brain not fully working. Was it her imagination or had Harry's fingers lingered on her arm a little longer than needed? And why had it suddenly felt like dozens of butterflies had been set loose in her stomach when he had touched her? For that matter, why was she embarrassed that she had rushed back here to get the bracelet he had given her? But I couldn't have gotten it later since the greenhouses lock after a professor has… "Oh shite!"

For a second Harry stood there thinking that his ears had deceived him. But no, the look on her face told him otherwise. Hermione Granger, little miss prim and proper, had just cursed! And that realization caused him to burst into a fit of laughter. Now whether it was because of the look on her face or the fact that she, for the first time that he could remember, had cursed he didn't know.

"Why are you laughing?!" demanded Hermione.

"I'm sorry…you…cursed…" Harry managed to say through peels of laughter.

Hermione glared at him, stomped her foot, and yelled, "Well stop it!"

Harry instantly fell silent, nearly choking in the process. An angry Hermione was something he never liked to see, namely because it scared him more than Lord Voldemort and all his Death Eaters combined ever could. And right now she was really pissed off. In fact, Harry had never seen her so upset. Or at least he hadn't seen her this angry when Ron or Malfoy weren't involved. "I know I shouldn't have laughed at you but I don't think it's something to get worked up about."

"What are you talking about?" asked Hermione only to continue before Harry could reply. "We're trapped in here! And unless someone happens to notice we're missing and then happens to check here we'll be stuck here until Monday!"

"Err... What are you talking about Hermione?" Hermione rolled her brown eyes.

"This greenhouse locks after a professor has been out of it for fifteen minutes! And since we don't have a key or spell to unlock the doors with we're stuck here!" Harry stared at her. Obviously not understanding, or perhaps choosing to think her wrong, about the greenhouse doors. So, instead of voicing his opinion, he walked to the door. The second his hand touched the doorknob he yelped and jumped back, shaking his now numb hand. "It shocked me!" Hermione, her bad mood vanishing in an instant, snickered and shook her head at him.

"I told you that the doors are sealed."

"You said locked! Not that it'd shock me!"

Hermione grinned at him, "You should have asked. And it's only a mild shock. Just enough to keep the more adventurous plants in here."

"Well how was I… Oh forget it!" replied Harry while rubbing his tingling hand in an attempt to relieve the feeling of thousands of tiny needles pricking him.

"So how long do you think we'll be stuck here?"

"Not too long," replied Harry. "I'm sure Ron will finish lunch and realize we're not there."

Hermione raised a skeptical eyebrow at him, "Are you sure about that?"

A light chuckle escaped them both as Harry said, "No, actually, I'm not sure. But I am sure that there's another way out of here."

"I doubt it Harry," replied Hermione. "All of the greenhouses lock now. Or have you forgotten what happened to those two Hufflepuffs that thought it be a nice place to snog last year?"

"Err… No… I didn't forget about that at all," said Harry while grinning at her. It was extremely obvious to Hermione that he had no recollection of the event.

"Honestly Harry," Hermione rolled her eyes and took a seat on one of the tables, "sometimes I think you're more scatterbrained than Ron."

"Now that's hitting below the belt," replied Harry. "But I can guaranty you that if it had been two Slytherin's I'd remember it."

Hermione smiled at him and said, "Of that I have no doubt," before tugging at her robes and waving a hand in front of her face. "Is it just me or did it just get really hot in here?"

Harry shook his head and said, "It's not just you," as he shrugged off his robes. The air was suddenly heavy and thick with humidity and it felt like it was at least ten degrees warmer than it had been a few minutes ago. He sent Hermione a puzzled look since, unless his eyes were deceiving him, he could clearly see it snowing outside of the greenhouse.

When he looked back at Hermione her eyes were downcast and she was biting her lower lip, two clear signs that told him that she was thinking over the situation rather seriously. And he knew from experience that it was best to let her finish. In the meantime he removed his tie and undid the top two buttons on his shirt while looking about the greenhouse.

"This is one of the tropical greenhouses," said Hermione a short time later while removing her robes. "The temperature and humidity drop while classes are taking place. The rest of the time it's like this." Hermione sighed and fanned herself in a vain attempt to cool off a bit. It had only been a few minutes since the greenhouse had turned into a tropical forest and sweat was already starting to run down her forehead. "At least it won't get any hotter in here since it's already noon."

"Thank Merlin for small favors," replied Harry as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. "When we get out of here remind me to ask about why the doors lock when there's someone in here."

"Only if you remind me to never complain about a hot summer days again," said Hermione.

Harry chuckled and said, "You and me both," before remembering what he had seen Hermione doing when he had first gotten here. "'Mione?"

"Yea, Harry?" she asked, looking up from rummaging through her pockets.

"Why were you jumping on top of that table earlier?"

"One of the vines had picked up my bracelet and was dangling it from the ceiling," replied Hermione, causing Harry to raise an eyebrow.

"You couldn't have been in here that long. How did you find it so quickly?"

Hermione blushed and pulled a handkerchief from one of the pockets of her robes, "I…" the rest of what she said was too quiet and mumbled for him to make it out.

"What?"

Hermione turned her face away from him and said, "I put a tracking spell on it so I can find it easily if I lose it or someone takes it."

As her words sank into his brain the butterflies from earlier returned with a vengeance. If she had put an enchantment on it then it meant an awful lot to her. And if she cared so much about the bracelet then maybe she felt for him the same way he felt about her? Though what did he feel for her exactly? He couldn't yet answer either question. But the thoughts of what the possibilities could be seemed almost too good to be true. Thankfully though, a guy can dream.

When several long seconds had passed without a reply Hermione looked at Harry to find him staring at her with the most peculiar expression on his face. And for what she was sure was the first time since she had met him, Hermione couldn't tell what Harry was feeling. And that inability made it seem as though the floor had suddenly dropped away from under her feet. There was but one reason for why she couldn't tell what his thoughts and feelings were. Harry was feeling something that he'd never felt before. And Hermione was sure that that was a terrible, catastrophic, event for their friendship.

"Does…" Harry swallowed a lump that had somehow formed in his throat, "does the bracelet really mean that much to you?"

~*~*~*~*~*~

To be continued...

~*~*~*~*~*~