Unofficial Portkey Archive

New Year Revelations by katediggory
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

New Year Revelations

katediggory

"Are you sure you don't want to join us?"

Hermione smiled at Ron as they stood on the doorstep.

"I'm sure Ron, that you and Luna should have a night to yourselves, and besides, Andromeda is visiting some friends and Harry's working so I get Teddy all to myself for the evening."

Luna and Hermione exchanged an amused glance at Ron's expression.

"Not everyone is terrified of children Ron…" Hermione teased. Colour spread to his ears as he glanced between his girlfriend and best friend. Luna decided to save him by ending the conversation and wrapping her arms around Hermione in a hug.

"Happy New Year Hermione"

"You too Luna, have a lovely night" With a hug for Ron, Hermione smiled as she watched them wander across the road hand in hand, her shoulder leaning on the doorframe, they waved as they reached their front door just across from her own and she turned to head inside to check Teddy was still napping before picking up a book and curling up happily on the sofa.

Minutes later she found herself gazing into space and thinking back on just how far they had all come in the last few years, and hoping for happiness for everyone in the new year. It all seemed so long ago, whilst at the same time it was almost as if only yesterday she had been standing in the Great Hall looking at Voldemort's lifeless body. She shook her head lightly as if to remove the image from her consciousness and let her mind guide her through moments in the past. It had been later that night as people began to leave the Great Hall and wonder what was to happen next that she had felt a hand on her arm and turned to see Harry. The anguish in his eyes stilled the question on her tongue.

"Teddy…" was all he said, his voice cracked and hoarse. Her eyes had widened and she had linked her arm in his, and led the way to where a tired Professor McGonogall sat with several colleagues, comforting younger students. She looked up at their approach and they stood in a quiet space in a room of chaos for a conversation which would shape the direction of the next years of their lives.

They had thought of waiting for morning before visiting Andromeda to break the news, but with a glance at the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall they could see that morning had broken some time ago, and only stopping to let a grieving Ron know that they would be back soon, they walked silently across the grounds to the edge of Hogsmeade and apparated away. Harry had warned her before they crossed the boundaries of the Tonks estate that Andromeda resembled Bellatrix, and she had tensed inside at the memory of their time at Malfoy Manor, but taken the hand he extended towards her and wrapped her fingers around his tightly.

How odd that she had once dreaded meeting Andromeda, a woman who had become such an important person in their lives since that day. She had been expecting a visit, having spent the night in vigil with her sleeping grandchild by her family tree tapestry, and had seen the fated moment that her beloved daughters name was elegantly crossed through with thread. Hermione's heart had sunk with relief as Andromeda had hugged Harry to her and sat quietly with them as Harry gazed down at his sleeping godson.

It had been weeks later, following many heart breaking memorial services, and endless days of rebuilding wards and repairing damage to wizarding buildings and homes across Britain that things were beginning to settle down. Largely down to Kreacher's dedicated work Grimmauld Place was not only repaired but more of a home than it ever had been in Hermione's memory. The house was now also filled with life as she, Harry, Ron, Andromeda and Teddy settled into the enormous house with an assortment of pets and magical paraphernalia.

Three years on and Andromeda lived in her own wing of the house, Ron and Luna had bought a house just across the street, and Teddy was growing up in a house full of love and memories of his parents and others lost. She had thought of staying with her parents at one point, but having spent so much of her life with Harry and Ron she couldn't stand to be away from her best friends. Her thoughts were interrupted by the familiar sounds of Teddy beginning to wake.

"Hey sleepyhead"

Teddy raised his head from the pillow and a wide grin spread across his face.

"Emmy!"

Hermione crouched by his head and his little arms were promptly thrown around her in greeting, his bright purple curls brushing her face.

"What shall we do this afternoon Teddy?"

His eyes lit up and she knew his answer even before his mouth had opened.

"Finger painting!" He said excitedly and giggled as she laughed at his happiness.

It was an hour later that Harry popped back from work for a forgotten piece of paperwork. Apparating into the front hall he followed the sound of laughter to the kitchen where he saw Teddy, Hermione and Kreacher sitting at the large table, covered head to toe in red, yellow, green and blue paints, their works of art scattered and drying over the countertops. He watched his best friend and godson unobserved for a few moments before forcing himself to grab his missing papers and head back to St Mungos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Junior Healer, Harry worked long and unpredictable hours, hours which he adored for the opportunities it gave him to learn more each day. It almost reminded him of flying in that he could concentrate completely and the outside world remained just a background noise as he worked. This evening however, his mind was drifting and it was disconcerting. He gave up on completing the paperwork from his previous patient, and sticking his hands in his pockets he wandered down the corridors to the wards to the long term spell damage ward where he knew he'd find an old friend.

Having accepted an autograph from Lockheart Harry managed to make it to the last two beds in the ward where he found the Longbottom family preparing for New Years Eve. Neville waved a hand in greeting as he helped his mother to hold his baby daughter, as Susan stood to greet Harry with a hug.

He spent much time with the Longbottoms both outside of work, and at work when he needed a friendly face, or some peace or perspective and tonight was no exception. He had never celebrated New Years Eve with the Dursley's and as a holiday it had passed him by until after the war had ended and he had spent his first December 31st with the extended Weasley family. It had been a mixed celebration with the notable absence of Fred, and the marked change in George following the death of his twin. Just before midnight he had found himself standing outside the kitchen door in the freezing cold with Hermione.

"You know I never saw the point in New Year Resolutions. If it's truly a resolution it would mean more if it wasn't prompted by the coming of another year…sorry for being a scrooge…it's just…I know people have these picture perfect nights at New Year but I've never had one and part of me will always think they're fictional…" Hermione mused.

"I know exactly what you mean `Mione. I've never had that either, and tonight…it just feels so forced, and I can't imagine how George must feel with everyone trying to be merry around him."

They had smiled sadly at one another and quietly wandered back into the house as the countdown began.

Years had passed and now he found himself not far from another turn of the years. As Susan settled baby Abigail into the travel cot beside her, Harry and Neville talked quietly.

"Nev, do you enjoy New Years Eve?" Harry asked thoughtfully.

"Well, enjoy maybe isn't quite the right word, but I suppose I relish the chance to look back and look forward. I think most years there are things that I'd like to leave in the past, and some things I'd like to focus on and take forward as memories in the future. But I've never been one to make resolutions. The most important thing throughout my life has always been my family, and New Year is just one of many holidays that makes me want to gather my family as close as possible, especially since we had Abi. It seems so odd that last New Year Abi wasn't here with us last year…and that I used to be able to have quick conversations without pondering life the universe, and everything…" they chuckled together, "…but right now, everything that's important to me in the universe is in this room and nothing will ever make me happier than that, it's what every holiday is for me but New Year reminds me that it's what I want every year."

"When did you get so smart Nev?"

The two friends smiled at each other

"I guess we all had to grow up at some point Harry"

With a hug for Neville and Susan, Harry wandered out of the ward and headed back towards his office. A glance at the large clock on the wall of reception told him that it was just two minutes to midnight and he suddenly knew exactly where he should be standing as the clock moved from one year to the next, and with a smile that would have had many Witch Weekly readers weak at the knees he broke into a run and burst out the front doors of the hospital.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hermione hadn't been planning on even staying up until midnight, but something had convinced her to turn on the wireless and listen to the countdown with classic wizarding music and a bottle of Harry's favourite beer from the fridge. It was as the countdown reached one minute that she heard the distinctive sound of apparition and she turned to the doorway in surprise, her eyes widening when she saw Harry rush into the living room, his eyes shining with happiness.

"Hi" she said happily as he walked towards her determinedly.

"Hi. I know you don't believe in Resolutions at New Year, but this isn't one…it's a revelation `Mione. I was just with Neville and he said the most amazing thing - that the only thing he cared about over holidays was that everyone he loved most in the universe was in the room, and I realised I was in the wrong room - that I should be here with you and Teddy." He grabbed her hand and apparated them both silently into Teddy's room where the little boy was sleeping soundly cuddling his toy wolf.

"What are you saying Harry?" Hermione asked softly

"This" he whispered as they heard the clock chime midnight from downstairs, and wrapping his arms around her waist he pulled her close and kissed her.

The clock had long finished chiming when they pulled apart and Harry looked down into her face to see her eyes shining with tears as she beamed up at him.

"I want to be with you every holiday, and every day, forever"

Hermione reached up and kissed him once more

"It sounds like a plan to me Dr Potter" she said with a smile.

"You know I should really be getting back to work, but right now I'm not sure I'm ever going to want to go to work again" he murmured against her lips. Hermione smiled again.

"Not even the days that I'm working the same shift?"

"Ok, you're always right, those ones I wont mind going in as long as I can walk behind you to enjoy the view…" she giggled and he grinned at the sound.

"Happy New Year `Mione"

"Happy New Year Harry".

-->