Unofficial Portkey Archive

Combined: The Power by Darkened Skies
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Combined: The Power

Darkened Skies

Combined: The Power

Disclaimer: None of the characters are mine, they all come from the brilliant mind of J.K Rowling and I had nothing to do with it…unfortunately. I just write for your entertainment entirely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter 1: Dream Angel

Two months passed by slowly, and for those two agonizing months he sat there staring out the open window of his bedroom looking out on the world that was oblivious to the dangers that were quite apparent in a seemingly different dimension. Somewhere passed the rolling hills, where the green of the grass met the darkened sky and the sun disappeared behind it there were troubles that couldn't be conceived by the unimaginative mind and he was prophesized to put a stop to it all.

For two months he had been forced into a life of isolation dwelling on the horrors that had befouled his mind; the mind of a teenager, also the mind of a child. He was a child that had been forced into adulthood faster than his voice could crack, and now he was broken. Broken and left to pick up the pieces by himself.

He convinced himself that he didn't want to go back and he vowed to himself that he would never return to the place that had abandoned him and given him the best home he could ask for at the same time. He said he would never return to the people that had left him alone, not knowing what kind of mental torture that he was putting on himself…oblivious to the pain that he had been caused.

And yet…here he was.

Harry Potter trudged through the crowded terminals of the King's Cross Station maneuvering the flatbed that carried his two trunks, other packaged items and his owl Hedwig who was sleeping quietly in her cage. He stared straight forward, not bothering to indulge himself in his surroundings. If one had known Harry before the past year they would have described him as a troubled boy who tried desperately to be happy and have a life of his own just at first glance, but now just by looking at the sixteen year old raven-haired, green-eyed boy, bursting into tears and reeling into a fetal position was a common option.

His skin was a sickly pale color due to extreme lack of sun, fresh air and food. His hair was longer than it had been the previous year and was currently mussed about his head covering his ears and cascading down his face halfway over his thick wire-rimmed glasses that had once again been held together in the middle with any bit of scotch tape that he could find. The glasses shielded his emerald green eyes that held so much pain and anguish that they had begun to look cold, dull and unfeeling.

His faded jeans and six-size-too-big jumper hung off of him like an elephant skin, and under them was a torso that had been beaten black and blue from his own self-infliction.

The summer had done him horribly, that was for sure. Everyday he woke up in the same chair by the window and stared at the sky until the sun blinded him. He went to the bathroom, and then went back to the chair. On more than one occasion he began scratching at his skin nervously, not feeling the pain he caused himself. He was waiting…waiting for something bad to happen, to see some explosion off in the distance, or some dark hooded figures pass by a house in a menacing manner. It had begun to drive him mad, so in his wakeful nights he began beating himself up. The Dursley's fed him scraps from their table, one or two times a day, but he hardly ever ate. Eating was for the people who deserved it…and in his mind he did not.

He would sit some more and think…and think…and think until the sun went down and his eyes willed him to sleep. No one could tell what he was thinking, the Dursley's certainly didn't care and for some reason, Hedwig seemed to just ignore Harry by pretending to sleep. On the occasions she was allowed out, she'd be gone for days and days at a time, avoiding her master. Maybe she sensed a sudden change in him, an angry change that she feared. But what did they know? They all lived sheltered lives, and they knew nothing of the battles raging in his head.

Harry didn't receive any letters from his friends to keep his sane, or from anyone else for that matter. The only connection he had to the Wizarding World was through the Daily Prophet, but he would rather line Hedwig's cage with that rubbish then read it.

Harry had become so angry; he blamed himself for what happened to his Godfather at the Department of Mysteries. He blamed himself for the injuries, and possible deaths of his friends…he blamed himself for everything, for all the things he couldn't control and for all the things he could. Horrible nightmares plagued his mind once sleep overtook him. Nightmares of Sirius falling through the veil, his friends were dropping at his feet one by one, lots of blood, slow and painful deaths and those sinister red eyes that kept showing themselves right before the morning came, leaving him to cradle his head in his arms because of the searing pain in his scar. The voices in his head were just the icing on the cake.

They did nothing but agree with the horrible things he said about himself, which only caused him to hurt himself more, not intentionally of course, but how was he to know? He hadn't been paying attention much to anything over the summer. He hated it, he hated everything…but then, what was hate anymore? He didn't know. How could anyone see where the lines of hate stopped and love began after all that he'd been through?

For Harry it was all the same, not even black and white anymore…it was all gray.

He found, that when he snapped out his reverie that he was coming up to the support beam standing tall directly in the middle of Platforms Nine and Ten. He didn't look around to check and see if anyone was watching him, he just slipped through the bricks, immediately greeted with the intimidating sight of the great Scarlet train.

Ever since first year Harry had always had a sense of calmness wash over him whenever he approached the train, he had always been happy to see it for it meant that there was someplace protected that he could go to…a safe haven that he didn't have anywhere else.

But that haven was gone and that sense of calmness was replaced with a sense of impending doom.

Harry ignored this feeling and grabbed his things off of the flatbed, continuing on towards the train. He was very aware that people were staring at him as they were saying goodbye to their parents and guardians. He knew they all thought he was insane, insane or troubled. Either word would go well to describe the Great Harry Potter, their Savior from the damned.

`Some Savior I am. I can barely keep myself alive. Let alone anyone else.' He thought to himself as he made his way to the very back of the train where he was sure no one would be. It was true, all times Harry had been faced with danger it was luck and his friends that had helped him through it…and those friends probably were sick of helping him.

Harry sighed as he began settling in. He put his belongings in the overhead rack where things like that were stored and he nestled back into the comfy overstuffed seat. It was more comfortable than he had been for those whole two months away for summer, and soon he found himself drifting off into a raging battle filled sleep.

- - - - - - - - - -

Harry Potter awoke to the sounds of his own startled screams and somebody gently shaking him awake. "Harry…Harry wake up." It was a soft voice, a voice that he had never heard in his dreams before. He was sure it was the voice of an angel that wanted to take him away from all of this.

`Yes, wake up Harry, wake up and face your destiny. Wake up Harry, wake up and feel.' The voice changed to the sinister slither that was always in his head, and he screamed louder, clutching around in the darkness for the angel to protect him.

"Harry!" the voice was more forceful this time, but still gentle. Harry reached out with his arms and tugged, sure that he had caught the angel, sure that he was leaving everything behind, when he felt a sharp pain in his head.

His eyes flew open, clouded by tears of pain and he looked into the familiar face of none other than one of his best friends, Hermione Granger.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Don't forget leave reviews and what not, feedback, and tips are greatly appreciated.

-->