Unofficial Portkey Archive

Those Were The Days by [x]Mrs_H_Potter[x]
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Those Were The Days

[x]Mrs_H_Potter[x]

Ok I hope this is done right, because I have never written a song fic before.
Disclaimer: None of the characters belong to me


Those Were The Days

Once upon a time, there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours,
Think of all the great things we would do

"Hurry up Hermione" I heard mum yelling at me. I slowly brushed my hair and pulled it back into a messy pony tail. I applied some make-up and looked at myself. Nodding in approval I walked out the door and then down the stairs.
"About time" mum sighed. "Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked me one last time. I nodded silently and we headed out the front door.

When I first found out I was shocked. It was like I was having a nightmare and I was telling myself to wake up. As the days went on I realized that I wasn't dreaming and now was my final chance to say goodbye.

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way

We arrived at the church about twenty minutes later. I walked over to Ginny and gave her a hug. Her cheeks were tear stained and she looked worse then she did the day before; when I saw her. I stood next to her as everyone began to arrive in black suits or dresses.
"Why black?" I asked silently.
"Tradition" Ginny responded. I nodded at her and stared back at everyone who was walking past us. They would walk up to Ginny and then me saying how sorry they were for our loss.
"He wouldn't have wanted it to be like this" I whispered. Ginny just nodded her head. After everyone had arrived we all silently walked into the church. A coffin lay at the front; it was a whitish cream colour with gold lining around the edges. I slowly made my way to the front and sat down next to Mrs Weasley, Mum, Mr Weasley and Ginny.

Then, the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If, by chance, I'd see you in the tavern,
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

I remembered back to when I last saw him. He was in such a mess; his eyes had dark shadows underneath them and his face was pale. If only I knew this was coming I would have stayed at head quarters longer. The priest walked up to the stand and began the funeral; he began talking about his life and how he would be sorely missed, if only he knew how much.
"I can't believe he is gone" I sobbed into my hands. Mum wrapped her arm around me and held me close.

The funeral didn't last as long as I expected. We all walked outside and remembered all the good times we had with him. There was only one thing I needed to do and that was to get home.
"Mum can we go?" I asked. She didn't need to ask why she knew straight away. She nodded and we headed for the car. The trip home was silent, which was good for me; seeing as though I didn't want to talk.

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days

As I walked through the door a familiar body came running up to me. I picked it up and walked back into the lounge room; paying the babysitter before sitting down.
"Where daddy?" the little girl asked. I didn't have the heart to tell her. She had been missing him for months.
"He is at work" I replied, with a fake smile.
"I miss him" she cried.
"So do I baby…so do I" I sobbed, cuddling the girl tight.

It didn't take long before she was asleep in my arms. I slowly and very carefully carried her into her room and laid her on her bed. I pulled the blankets up and kissed her on the cheek before silently walking out. I slowly walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where my mum handed me a hot cup of coffee.
"Thanks" I mumbled. I wasn't in the mood for talking; I hadn't been in the mood for talking in a long time; ever since he left. I sat on the stool and stirred my coffee not really with it.
"I'm sure he is ok" mum smiled.
"How do you know?" I snapped. I got up and stormed into my room. I was now angry at what my mum said but mostly angry at him for leaving us.
"Please come back to me" I cried, looking at a picture of us

Just tonight, I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass, I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me?

I awoke the next morning with a start. I had another one of my dreams; which led to a sleepless night. I had a quick shower and got dressed before running out the door before anyone could question me. I stood outside the coffee shop remembering all the times we had gone there. The many times I had skipped work so we could talk. He was the best friend I could have asked for and now he was gone. Slowly I turned myself around and began to walk away. The memories were to strong and I couldn't pull myself together to go in there. I walked home at a slow pace wondering why this had to happen to him

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days

The next couple of days after the funeral were the hardest for me. I sat in my room and cried a lot and though I knew my daughter needed me, I couldn't be the support she needed. I just wish her father would come home to us. I walked down the stairs feeling slightly peckish; my daughter jumped into my arms as soon as she spotted me.
"I love you" she smiled.
"I love you too" I replied. I sat down at the table and grabbed myself some toast. Everyone was silent and the only sound was the sound of toast being eaten or mum taking a sip of her coffee.
"Don't ever go away" Lily whispered. I looked up at her and a small smile spread across my face.
"I could never leave you baby"

Through the door, there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts, the dreams are still the same

We continued to eat breakfast in silence; until there was a knock at the door.
"I'll get it" mum smiled. She got up and walked over to the door. The next thing I knew Lily jumped off her seat and ran towards the direction the voices were coming from. As my back was turned to the door and I didn't have the energy to turn around I brushed it off and took a sip of my orange juice.

As I put my glass down a pair of hands wrapped their way around my head and covered my eyes.
"Guess who?" a familiar voice laughed. My mouth shot open and I pulled the hands away from my eyes before looking up. Tears began to form in my eyes as I jumped out of my seat and into the arms of the person standing behind me.
"I thought you weren't coming back" I cried into their shoulder.
"I said I would be back" they laughed. I pulled back and looked into their eyes; I couldn't believe they were standing in front of me.
"After Neville's funeral" I began to say before being cut off.
"I'm home now that is all that matters" he smiled.
"I love you Harry" I whispered, leaning in and kissing his lips.
"I love you too Hermione" he smiled.

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days


Song: Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkins