Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dancing with the Unknown Soldier by Gilksey
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dancing with the Unknown Soldier

Gilksey

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

Author's note: Hey guys, just a little something I wrote. It's kind of a companion piece to my other story and kind of a lengthened songfic. That doesn't mean you have to read my other one but I hope you do because I need the constructive criticism on both pieces. A bit dark but there is a bit of romance I promise. Oh! I used two songs, one for Ginny and one for Draco. Ginny's is the one on the top and it's `Dancing with the Devil Tonight' by Breaking Benjamin. Draco's is on the bottom and it's `Unknown Soldier' by breaking Benjamin. Alright well enjoy and review please!! The next chapter might be a little bit. Love you all! - Gilksey

Warning: the cruciatus is used a lot so don't freak out.

Dancing with an Unknown Soldier

His shoes clicked against the cold cobblestone down an endless hallway. The torches on the walls cast an eerie glow against his pale skin. He knew where he was going, many months doing nothing but wonder will do that to someone. He was on his way to question a prisoner his master had recently captured. He knew not of who it was or why she needed to be questioned but he dared not to defy his Lord.

He walked until he found two doors on opposite sides of the hall. He grabbed the handle for the one on his left. Upon entering he found two guards on either side of the door both he knew by name. The prisoner was chained by the wrists and ankles to the wall. She was curled in a ball trying desperately to remove the bag over her head.

"Welcome son." His father smirked at him from his post to the right of the door. "The dark lord has a gift for you. A little plaything if you will. Only two rules. One you don't kill her, at least until the Dark Lord says otherwise. And two, you are to clean up whatever mess you make when you're finished. Oh and any information she gives you, you are to report directly to me or Snape. Understood?"

"Perfectly father. Now may I take off the bag? I wish to look into the eyes of the little wench as I `question' her." He smiled evilly up at his father.

"Of course but I'd rather not see the little blood traitor's face. I don't want that filth so much as breathing my air. Dolohov." The boy's father left quickly, followed by the other guard who looked as though he wanted to stay and throw her around a little himself.

"Now you filthy creature, lets get a look at you." He slowly removed the bag. Shock spread across his features for a quick second before he could compose himself. "Well if it isn't the youngest weasel. I must say I'm surprised Voldemort didn't kill you already." Little Ginny Weasley, he thought, pathetic little girl. She looked up at him, hate burning in her eyes. She was dressed in her school robes, but they seemed to be torn in places and covered with dirt. Her forehead was slick with sweat from the small bag, and she had bruises and a few cuts in various places.

As much as he hated to admit it, she had grown up in the last few months. Her hair had deepened in color and had to be a good few inches below her shoulders now. He couldn't tell whether or not she had heightened as she was still in a ball. He couldn't help but notice that she had also filled out a little more.

"I could say the same for you ferret." She smirked up at him. She knew she struck a nerve when his golden brow twitched. She had watched him watch her. The one thing she just couldn't wrap her mind around was it looked almost appreciative. "In fact I would have to say I'm surprised you've even lasted this long without shitting in your trousers."

"Well well well the little weasel's got spunk. Although I can't help but wonder why you're quivering in fear, what with all that Gryiffindor courage and such." His eyes challenged her to continue.

"Are you that cold-blooded you can't tell it's absolutely freezing in here? Or are you just as stupid as that wretched ogre you call a father? Now tell me how did that oaf get out of Azkaban? Blackmail? Bribery? Oh wait I know! He made a few, let's call them friends, and promised them riches and his little boy's virtue when they got him out? Hmm? Am I close yet?" She knew she'd gone a bit far, but who the bloody hell cares? She's being held captive!

"You best hold your tongue wench! Or would you rather me make you scream with it?" Before she could blink, his wand was pointing down at her face, threateningly.

"Do whatever you want Malfoy, but I promise you. I won't scream for the likes of you." She glared defiantly at him as she watched his lips form the word of the spell.

"Crucio!" Pain. Lots of pain. Like she's never known it before coursed through her entire being. Her eyes snapped shut and her mouth dropped open. His smirk widened for what he knew would come next. "Scream little weasel. No one can hear you." Her body writhed on the floor in torment, fists slamming down on the cold stone all around her. Her chains were smashing against everything, music to his ears. However, against all the pain, all the noise, he could still hear her whisper as her eyes focused on him.

"I will never scream for you, Draco." And the pain stopped. Draco dropped his wand in disbelief. She was a stubborn piece of filth but he had to give her credit. She was strong. Stronger then he was. He'd always scream every time.

"You will scream for me. Maybe not today, but you will. Mark my words." His shoes clicked against the cobblestone as he walked down the endless hallway.

Here I stand,

Helpless and left for dead.
Close your eyes,

So many days go by.
Easy to find what's wrong,

Harder to find what's right

*

Border line, dead inside.

I don't mind, falling to pieces

Count me in, violent

Let's begin, feeding the sickness.

How do I simplify,

Dislocate - the enemy's on the way.

The stench was beginning to become unbearable. It smelled as if rotting corpses were in the room with her. Young Ginny Weasley, being held captive. It's been a week since Draco's first encounter with her. Since that day he'd created a routine. He'd come every morning with just enough food to survive for the day. He'd return around midday and would perform the cruciatus on her repeatedly until dark then he'd leave for the night.

She started to realize that every time he performed the curse, it was only for a short period of time. Even though he made up for it in frequency, it usually only lasted just a few seconds. That and he always let her rest a bit before the next stream of curses. He had told her it was so she could regain her breath to scream for him, but she saw through his fib. She knew from Harry's experience, that to perform that unforgivable you had to truly want to cause them pain. Otherwise it would only last a second or two. As she had thought about this late one night, she realized that if she wanted to make it out of here alive she needed to get to Draco. Not just getting him angry, no. She needed to get under his skin, get him to trust her, at the very least want her. She needed him to change sides and if what Harry said about his flinch with Dumbledore, then it shouldn't take too long. And so little Ginny planned, and devised her scheme to perfection as she waited for pain to return once again.

Draco was impressed. She was strong and anyone to deny that would be lying through they're teeth. Whenever he himself was treated to the curse had screamed out in agony. His cries would echo off the cold grimy walls. The pain would course through his veins, pulsating dangerously, as though he would explode at any time. Except it would never let him. It held it all in, the explosion of needles would stay contained inside his body. When his father had started training his emotions he was unfortunate enough to endure the pain on countless occasions. Each sign of emotion, each scream would cost him more of it.

He could hardly believe that a Weasley no less, could last so long. Draco had even spoken to his aunt Bellatrix about it. Her eyes widened only slightly before she too composed herself.

"Well just let me at her for a bit love. I'll make her scream and them some." Her smirk was of evil perfection, causing even a Malfoy to shiver a bit. He knew not to give Ginny too much credit. He knew his curses were gradually quickening in length. They weren't lasting as long as they should be, and he knew why too. Should a wizard or witch cast the cruciatus curse they must want to truly cause their target excruciating pain. In his own conclusion, he realized he didn't want to cause her pain and for the life of him he couldn't figure out why. He was contemplating some more on it to himself as he walked in to her chamber for their afternoon session.

"Good afternoon weasel." He was infuriated at himself for the sudden flare of appreciation he received upon entering the room. It being one of those rare occasions where he would find her already standing, showing of her long milky legs.

"Still alive ferret? When will your `dark lord' get some brains and just be done with you?" Her eyes taunting him; challenging him. Her plan had begun.

"About the same time you learn your place and shut that mouth of yours I presume. Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while love." He smirked in retaliation.

"Whatever. Let's get on with this then, I've things to do." He had to stop himself from laughing out loud, managing a slight chuckle as he looked around her room. Bare except for the chains and the platter with her food.

"The only thing you need to be doing is screaming. Crucio!" Three seconds of a throbbing chaos, of erratic daggers trying to escape from within her. She couldn't describe it accurately enough. She imagined it would be heartbreak for a romantic's first love, like the swift, blunt rip of a lettuce head about to be eaten.

He watched her writhe like a pair of snakes fighting for food. A look of awe at her willpower yet anger of same. She slammed her fists, kicked her legs, he thought he even heard the crunch of a bone and still nothing past her lips but her ragged breaths.

"Draco. Why are you here?" He looked incredulously at her.

"My Lord gave orders for me to do so. Not that it's of any concern to you."

"No. Why are you here on this side of the war?" Her voice was soft.

"No reason you need to know about." He was angered with her for questioning him. For trying to understand him. "Crucio!" It was the longest yet. Seven long seconds of torture for the young witch. When he released her she was breathing deeply, eyes wide with something close to fear. It was working. He continued casting and casting until he was as tired as she. By now the moon would be near its peak.

She was exhausted and pain still hummed throughout her body. All she could think about was that she had almost screamed. She was so close to screaming, he had to have noticed. He had to have noticed and yet, he stopped. She took advantage of this turn in events to resume her questions.

"If you won't answer that then at least answer me this, Why are you doing this? Have you no heart? Do you hate everyone that much?" He flinched at her questions. She struck deeper than either would have thought. His eyes softened and glazed over as he thought deep into his memories.

"No Ginny. I don't hate everyone. I do love, rarely but I do." He turned to leave.

"Who is it?" It was almost impossible to hear her as she had lowered her voice even further for fear of breaking his trance.

"The only one to not be tempted by the evil ways of my family." He turned halfway to look at her from the corner of his eye. "My sister." And with that he left. Thinking to himself that he really needed to cast some sort of charm. The stench was beginning to become unbearable.

I believe in you,

I can show you

That I can see right

Through all your empty lies.

I won't stay long,

In this world so wrong.

*

Show me

what it's like

To dream in

Black and white,

So I can leave

This world tonight

-->