Unofficial Portkey Archive

Monotonous by AquamarineCrystal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Monotonous

AquamarineCrystal

A/N: Hey everyone. I know, I have not posted anything in a long time. I realize that and I'm sorry. The past year has been extremely tough for me, as a couple of tragedies occurred in my family, and I have been wrapped up in the whole college search and application process. All I can say is that I'm sorry for anyone who reads and enjoys my stories.

Anyways, I decided to write this little one-shot, once the idea popped into my head today. I know this sort of premise has been attempted many times before, but I still thought I'd take a shot at it, and sorry if it's really similar to any you've read before. Nevertheless, I still hope you enjoy!

FYI, "Not My World" is paused indefinitely. I do hope, however, to work on it this summer, because I would really like to finish it!

Disclaimer: I do not own anything here. J.K. Rowling does!

Rating: PG

Warning: Starts off slightly R/Hr, with small mentions of past H/G. But it's completely H/Hr by the end!

Enjoy!

***

It was snowing.

Those are the three boring words that floated through 21-year-old Hermione Granger's mind as she opened up the front door of her flat and took a step outside. Large, wet flakes graced the top of her bushy brown head as she glanced at the inch or two that had appeared overnight. Sighing, she took another step and turned to lock the door of her flat.

As she started to make her way down the path that led towards the exit of the large parking lot and she was able to adjust to the newly fallen snow, her body fell into the rhythm that has started her day for the past five hundred and sixty two days.

Yes, five hundred and sixty two days.

When Hermione first accepted the job at Finicky Finkle's Finds, she had been ecstatic. She was thrilled to work at a wizarding shop filled with the oldest and rarest of all magical artifacts, and a variety of ancient volumes and manuscripts. She had been so exuberant, in fact, that she had offered to work all seven days a week, since she was completely convinced that she would never get tired of working there. And for the first few weeks, she was right; she bounced out of bed every morning and arrived at least an hour early to work. She worked diligently all day long, using her free time to either glance through the books the store carried, or study for the healing program she wished to begin in the near future. After less than six months, however, her happiness began to dwindle. She was finding it hard to get up in the mornings, and she was really regretting that she had volunteered to work every single day for nine hours on week days, and five on weekends. It didn't help, too, that the store had changed owners recently and her new boss, Kevin Gregory, had an attitude and demeanor that rivaled Draco Malfoy's.

In a nutshell, Hermione was not happy at work. Neither was she happy with her social life, for that matter, seeing as her relationship with Ron had reached a rut that she was not sure they could get out of. To sum everything up, Hermione believed her life was one hundred percent, positively…

Boring.

Sighing again, Hermione continued on with her walk to Finicky Finkle's. The shop was only a few blocks away from her flat, and so she found it best to just walk to work everyday.

Once she was inside the shop she pulled up her hair and walked towards the front desk, where she spent the first hour before the shop officially opened counting money and tidying up. Kevin was on vacation this week and had appointed her as a temporary boss until he returned. Thus, she was required to open and close.

It wasn't long after she opened that she heard the bell on top of the door ring, signaling the entrance of a customer. Hermione choose not too look, up, however, since she was currently focused on counting the last of the sales from the previous day.

"May I help you," Hermione was forced to ask when she felt the customer's presence in front of the desk.

"Yes, actually," a familiar voice sounded. "I was wondering where I could find a Miss Hermione Granger."

Hermione's head snapped up as to meet a pair of emerald green eyes and a dazzling grin. "Harry!" she squealed as she eagerly went around the desk to give him hug. "I haven't seen you in ages!"

Ever since Harry's messy break-up with his long time girlfriend, Ginny Weasley, Harry had pretty much kept to himself. He especially stayed clear of the Weasley family; Mrs. Weasley was crushed when she found out that her daughter and Harry had separated. She had dreamed of the day when they would announce their engagement, and Harry would officially become a member of her family.

Hermione, herself, had been shocked once she heard of the news. She had been so sure that the two were in love, and had asked Harry countless times what had happened. Harry simply said it wasn't meant to be, and that he couldn't picture himself spending the rest of his life with Ginny. Hermione, though, reckoned that there was something he was hiding. In fact, she would not be surprised if there was actually another girl Harry had his heart set on. Nevertheless, she was extremely pleased to see her best friend.

"So Harry," Hermione began once they had released each other. "How have you been?"

"Okay," Harry shrugged, stuffing his hands into his jeans pockets. "Life's been kind of boring, actually."

Hermione chuckled. "I know the feeling."

Harry looked up. "Really? How are things with Ron?"

Hermione sighed. "Awful. I hardly ever see him anymore, and when I do, we just sit there talking about the most mundane things!"

It was Harry's turn to chuckle. "That's exactly what happened with me and Ginny."

"But I thought she was devastated when you broke up!"

"She was," Harry paused. "But she understood that things were not going to work out."

Hermione nodded and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. "I've actually been thinking about breaking up with Ron, myself."

Harry tilted his head to the side, and a strange glimmer appeared in his eyes. "Are you really?"

Puzzled, Hermione nodded. "Yes. We barely do anything anymore and everything we do is just so monotonous! I really need a change."

Harry smiled and took a step closer to Hermione. He took her hand in his and said, "Why don't you come to dinner tonight with me."

"What?" Hermione frowned, taken aback.

"Well, you agreed with me earlier: life is boring at the moment. And I haven't seen you in weeks! So why don't we go to that restaurant you like - Alina's Cuisine - and just forget about our all our past and present `boring' relationships."

Hermione looked down at their hands and back into his eyes. "Okay. Why not?"

"Great!" Harry let go of her hand, and started to make his way towards the door. "I'll make reservations. Seven okay?"

"Sure," Hermione replied, slightly dazed.

"Great," Harry repeated as he exited. "See you then!"

Hermione stood frozen. What had just happened? Had Harry just…asked her out? In a way? Technically?

Did he have feelings for her?

And why had she been upset when Harry let go of her hand?

***

Two Hours Later

It was now well after noon, and the store was packed. The rest of the staff had come in not long after Harry left, and they were now all bustling around, trying to answer as many of the customers' questions as they could.

As Hermione was attending to a particularly rude man who looking to buy an ancient book on dragons, she noticed a flash of red by the front door: Ron.

"Hermione," Ron said once the customer had paid for his book and left.

"Ron," Hermione replied sternly. "And what brings you here?"

Ron laughed nervously. "Oh, you know, just wanted to talk."

"Yes?"

"About our relationship."

Hermione raised one eyebrow. "While I'm at work?"

"Yes," Ron gulped. "Well, you see, I've noticed that things have been kind of dull recently."

Hermione smiled slightly. "Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You see, I think it would be best if we sto-″ she suddenly broke off when she noticed Ron pulling a small black box out of his pocket.

"Hermione," Ron started.

"No," Hermione shook her head frantically. "No, please don't."

Ron ignored her. "Darling, I've thought about this long and hard, and I realize I want to be with you forever…"

"No," Hermione felt angry tears well up in her eyes. "Ron, please stop."

"And Hermione, I really love…"

"No!" Hermione whispered. "Please Ron, I'm sorry, but I want to break up."

"And…what?" a look of panic spread across Ron's face. "You what?"

Tears flooded down Hermione's face. "I'm so sorry, but what I was trying to say before is that I think it is time for us to call it quits, and move on."

"But, Hermione, I was going to propose to you! You can't…I mean you shouldn't…I mean…" Ron broke off looking heartbroken.

"Oh Ron," Hermione moved to hug him, but he took a step back. "Oh Ron, I'm sorry, but I've really been thinking about this for a while."

"And so have I," Ron's shocked face clouded with anger.

"Ron," Hermione said softly. "I'm so sorry, but I don't love you in the way you want me too." She put her head down and started to walk away. "Excuse me…"

Quickly, Hermione made her way from the desk and informed one of her co-workers, Tina, that she wasn't feeling well and was going home for the rest of day. On her way out of the store, she took one last look at Ron, who was silently seething, and made her way onto the busy street outside.

***

Once inside her flat, Hermione collapsed on her sofa. What had just happened? Had Ron really attempted to propose to her, while she was trying to break up with him? And had she just walked out on him, as he filled up with rage?

Groaning, she put her head in her hands. Well for one thing, she thought with a snort, life was certainly not boring anymore.

And what about Harry? What was with him? Why had he acted so exuberant earlier when she said she wanted to break up with Ron? And why had he preceded to ask her out to dinner? Could he really…like her?

Hermione raised her head and looked out her window. Could he? Could Harry Potter, her best friend for more than a decade, have feelings towards herself, Hermione Granger?

And could she maybe, just maybe, like him back?

Smiling, Hermione realized that to that question, she actually did know the answer.

***

At exactly 6:55 PM, Hermione heard a knock on her door.

"Coming!" Hermione yelled as she grabbed her purse off her bed, and practically ran towards her living room.

"Hi," Harry said once Hermione opened the door. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," Hermione nodded as Harry stepped aside to let her through.

"Shall we," Harry asked as he held out his elbow to her.

"Sure," Hermione blushed, grabbing on to him.

The walk to the restaurant was a quiet affair. Both of them were too wrapped up in their own thoughts and feelings to utter a sound. Once they arrived though and were seated, conversation started flowing.

"You look nice tonight." Harry stated as they were looking over their menus.

"Thanks," Hermione blushed, looking down at her simple pair of jeans and teal sweater. "So do you."

Harry smiled faintly. "How was work?"

At this, Hermione's eyes darkened. "I went home early."

Harry looked up, concerned. "Why, were you sick?"

Hermione shook her head. "No."

"Oh."

Hermione paused. "Ron stopped by."

Harry froze. "Oh."

"He proposed to me."

Harry's shoulders slumped as a dejected look washed over him. "I see."

"As I was breaking up with him," Hermione finished quietly.

A glint of hope brightened Harry's emerald orbs.

"And then I just left him there." Hermione slumped back, now feeling awful for what she had done earlier. "And he was getting so angry, and I was crying, telling him I never truly loved him, and…"

"Hey, hey," Harry reached for her hand. "Don't worry about it. Ron will eventually realize how wrong he was about your feelings towards him, and knowing him, he'll be fine."

"But I just can't see why he proposed. His timing was completely awful! We hadn't gone out on a date in weeks and we barely even talked recently!"

"Well, Ron's Ron." Harry snorted. "Wasn't it you who once stated that his emotional range was comparable to a teaspoon?"

"Well, yeah," Hermione grinned. "But he was still my boyfriend. And our best friend."

"True," Harry nodded. "But I think he'll be alright."

"I hope so," Hermione sighed.

For the next half hour, the two were fairly silent as they ordered and ate their meals. As they were waiting for their waiter to come back with their desserts, though, Hermione suddenly broke the silence.

"Harry?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

The world seemed to stop turning at that instant. Harry's eyes widened in surprise as Hermione looked away sheepishly.

"W-What?" Harry stuttered. "You, you love me?"

"Yes," Hermione picked at her napkin. "I do."

Another moment of silence passed, in which Hermione started to feel disappointed. Harry had not said anything back, which must mean that he didn't feel the same way about her.

Another moment passed before Harry finally opened his mouth.

"Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"I love you too."

The two grinned at each other and leaned in for a kiss. And that night, when the two were wrapped up in each other's arms in Harry's bed, after a long, romantic evening, the two decided that life was definitely no longer boring.

Nope, not at all.

In fact, it was pretty exciting.

The End.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed! Please review!

:)

-->