Unofficial Portkey Archive

Birthdays and Blackouts by Mudbloodcaz
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Birthdays and Blackouts

Mudbloodcaz

I randomly found this fic hiding out in my computer. Completely AU now, but whom gives a darn.

All characters belong to J.K. Rowling,

"That will be £11 pounds please." the woman behind the counter said. Hermione went to hand over the money ; however, Harry got there first. Hermione grabbed his hand.

"Harry, let me pay." she said

"Nope." She frowned at Harry.

"You paid for lunch . Therefore, it's my turn." she said, trying to push Harry's hand out of the way. The woman behind the counter sighed.

"Hermione, it's your birthday , therefore it gives me the reason to treat you all day long." Harry said, pulling his hand free of her grip. Hermione tutted as he pulled out his wallet.

"You've already given me my presents." The woman behind the counter knocked on the glass, Harry and Hermione both turned to look at her.

"Excuse me, could your boyfriend pay, you're holding up the queue, and men never hardly pay nowadays, let him treat you before the museum closes for the day."

Hermione blushed. "He's not my boyfriend." she said shyly. Shaking his head in amusement, Harry moved Hermione gently to the side and finally paid, also purchasing the museum's guide.

"I hate it when you do that." Hermione said, following him through the barriers and into the main area of the museum. It was still busy for being late afternoon.

"Do what?" Harry asked innocently, handing her the guide.

"Pay for things. I do have a job , you know, and I'm able to pay for most things myself."

Harry grinned at her. "I know you do, and you're very good at your job, but it just happens to be one of my best friend's birthday and if I want to her to have a charming birthday, which may include the buying of items and the payment for stuff, so no more complaining." Hermione exhaled, knowing that she did not really have a choice in the matter.

Harry bent down to read the little information board attached to the display, glanced up at the rather large Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton and tugged on Hermione's sleeve.

"Aren't you glad I didn't have face on of those in the first task in fourth year, I don't think I would have lasted a second - it would have eaten me and my firebolt for a midmorning snack." Hermione looked up at the mammoth skeleton and winced.

"Palaeontologists think the T-Rex was quite slow, it took them some time to build up speed and even then they wouldn't be able to run for any lengths due to the size of their back legs." Hermione said. Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Dinosaur expert too, Hermione, is there any end to your talents ? So instead of chasing me it would have just stomped on me." He said with a smirk. Hermione smiled.

"Good thing they're extinct."

"If they were still around today, I could see Hagrid having one or two as pets." Hermione made a face and laughed.

"Just as long as we wouldn't have to feed them. Did you want to see more of this display or move onto a new one?" Harry flipped open the guide.

"The Arthur tales: Myth or face." he said, reading aloud.

"That's the display I wanted to see."

Together they walked to the room that held the display. The room itself was quite large and Harry and Hermione were the only visitors to the room . Tall glass cabinets held clothes, swords and bows and arrows. In the middle of the room was a group of mannequins dressed in medieval clothes, representing the main characters of the Arthur era. A long bench was near to the mannequins. Harry walked up to the 'Merlin' character, which had a long white beard , small half-moon glasses perched on the edge of his nose . He was dressed in purple robes.

"Look like anyone we know." Harry said. Hermione nodded.

"Just a little ...maybe they were related."

"Maybe, so why did you want to see this area?" He asked, watching as Hermione walked over to one of the glass cabinets

"I want to see how muggles represent the so-called legend."

"Is this for work?" He asked.

"Just for personal research really."

Harry smirked and moved around to look at Guinevere, who had long brown hair and was dressed in a full-length green dress, holding a sword in her hands.

"And what was that smirk for, Harry James Potter." Hermione asked rising an eyebrow.

"Nothing." Harry replied, still smiling to himself.

"Out with it, Harry." Hermione demanded.

"Even on your birthday you're still doing work."

"For personal gain." Hermione said, trying to explain, but Harry shook his head

"You wouldn't be you if you didn't, Hermione." Harry said moving onto the next mannequin, which was that of a dark haired older woman, pointing a finger at Arthur's back.

"So who's this then?" Harry asked, Hermione turned around and rolled her eyes.

"Did you ever pay attention or stay awake during a history of magic class?"

"Nope, 'cause you were there, my own personal note taker." He said with a grin.

"That is Morgan le Fey, she's half sister to…." Suddenly, the lights went out, plunging the room into darkness. Inky blackness surrounded Harry and he heard Hermione's startled gasp.

"Hermione?" He called out .

"Yes?"

"What do you think is going on with the lights?" He asked into the darkness

"Power cut, but it shouldn't be too long before the lights come back on, we should just wait here."

They waited. To Harry it seemed like hours passed before Hermione spoke again.

"I guess I was wrong. Do you think we should just wait until someone comes around or try and get out into the main lobby?" She said.

"I think I'm closest to the door, I could try and find it and then I'll call you over." Harry told the darkness.

"Okay."

Harry turned in the darkness to what he hoped was the direction of the door. He held in hands in front of him and started to walk , only to crash into something made of metal. He cried out as his knees came into painful contact with it.

"You okay Harry?" came Hermione's slightly worried voice from somewhere behind Harry's left shoulder.

"Yeah, my knees just found the seats is all." He heard Hermione giggle.

He huffed, "I'm glad me and my rather bruised knees can give you amusement." Hermione giggled again and then cleared her throat.

"I think it will be best if we just waited till either someone comes, or the lights come back on. If you follow the sound of my voice we can wait together."

"Couldn't agree more, we could always play Blind Man's Bluff." Harry said turning in the direction he last remember Hermione being in when the lights were on, and not in the direction of the glass cabinets.

"You better start talking then otherwise I might walk into one of the cabinets." He said

"That would be more painful then a bruised knee." Hermione's voice came from the right side of Harry and he turned in that direction.

"This room seems a lot bigger in the dark. So, are you having a nice birthday so far?" He asked .

"Apart from this blackout, yes." Hermione's voice seemed much closer now and Harry started to wave his hands around in front of him, trying to feel.

"Good, a bit like Marco Polo isn't it?"

"But without the water."

"Marco!" Harry called out into the blackness.

"Polo-oh." Harry's hand finally brushed up against something, something soft and rounded and before he knew what he was doing he give a little squeeze and then realised with a shock at what he had his hands on and that he had finally found Hermione.

"Hermione." he said to be sure. He heard her gulp.

"That's me, can you please move your hands Harry."

"Sorry ," he mumbled, a flush creeping up his face. He pulled his hands away and then felt soft warm hands close over his.

"Found you." he said.

"Yes you did."

"Ummm, sorry about the fumbling."

"Its okay, you couldn't really help it, its dark and you couldn't see where you were going, and should we see if we can sit down." Hermione said quickly, changing the subject; she could almost feel the heat from Harry's blush. It almost matched the heat of her own.

"Might as well, we don't know how long we might be stuck here in the dark, might as well be comfortable."

"My back is against a wall, so all we need to do is slide our backs down against it." Harry moved until he could feel the wall solid against his back and did as Hermione suggested but half down towards the floor his head hit the wall.

"Ow." he said as his bum found the floor. He felt Hermione sit down next to him.

"You okay?" she said, her voice close to his ear.

"Yeah, just bumped my head, another bruise to add to my collection." He spoke into the darkness, feeling Hermione's hands lift from his to comb through his hair.

"Appears to be no bump so I think you'll live."

"Thanks." Harry said with a smile, but Hermione's fingers still ran through the strands and Harry found it very relaxing.

"I might start purring in a few seconds if you don't stop that, Hermione," he said , not wanting her to stop. He sighed softly into the darkness; the hands moved away.

"Don't stop ," he said, reaching out blindly with his own hands. They caught Hermione's wrists and she gasped sharply.

"Sorry," he mumbled, but he didn't let go; instead, he traced a path up her bare arm with his fingertips.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Hermione inquired.

"Nothing." He said whispered, tracing her shoulder and then her neck where beneath his finger he felt a faint scar. For a brief second in his mind , he saw Bellatrix holding a knife against Hermione neck. He shuddered, and Hermione's hand pressed against his.

"It was a long time ago , Harry."

"I know." Hermione's hand closed around his, pulling it away from her cheek. Before he knew what he was doing, Harry pressed his lips against their entwined hands.

"Don't blame yourself, Harry." Hermione's voice was so close he could feel her breath on his cheek.

"I try not to." he said before kissing her.

She gasped against his lips , and for a second there was nothing and then she kissed him back. Her lips were yielding, warm against his. Harry ran his tongue across her bottom lip; she opened to him. Harry nibbled gently on her bottom lip before he intensified the kiss, running his tongue over the roof of her mouth . His hands reached out into the darkness, one hand went to the back of her neck and the other tangled itself into Hermione's hair, playing with the strands. Hermione deepened the kiss, but soon the need for oxygen was a demand and Harry pulled away.

"Harry?" Hermione whispered

"Yes."

"What was that?" She asked.

Harry chuckled softly. "That was called kissing."

"I know that, but why did you kiss me?" Hermione asked. Harry was starting to feel very confused.

"Because I wanted to and want to again." Before Hermione could reply, Harry kissed her again. This time, Hermione met him halfway. They tumbled to the ground and Hermione moaned as Harry's lips found her neck. She slid her arms around him and pulled him close.

"Harry..." she panted as he found a soft spot just below her ear.

"Hmmm." he hummed against her skin.

"We're in a ah.." His hands slid up her denim-clad legs.

"What were you saying?" he said hoarsely.

.

"We're in a public-" he stopped her again by bringing his lips against hers, kissing her hard. Hermione returned the kiss before pulling away slightly.

"Harry, we are in a public place."

"In the dark."

"But…"

"Take a chance , Hermione." Harry said before kissing her again.