Unofficial Portkey Archive

it's never gonna be that simple by Leonhart17
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

it's never gonna be that simple

Leonhart17

She felt detached from everything. They had won the war, saved the world. But nothing had turned out the right way.

She and Ron had broken up. She had expected that. That was the only right thing that had happened.

Harry and Ginny had not. Everyone said it was like a fairytale.

The hero gets the girl.

What happens if he chose the wrong girl?

She had toyed with the idea that being his sister-in-law would be enough. That wouldn't have been fair to Ron. Or herself. Or even fair to Harry. No one needed her to marry Ron just to be close to Harry.

Mrs. Weasley had been almost more upset than Ron about what had happened. She had reverted back to the tiny Easter eggs that reminded everyone uncomfortably of fourth year.

Oh Harry, I'm scared for you.

Now she was sitting on the couch in her flat, listening to Harry pour out his excitement following his date with Ginny. He goes out with Ginny and then comes to her.

If it wasn't so platonic, she would feel like the girl on the side.

"Harry I have a date." (Harold John Portence. Auror. Dark brown hair, blue eyes.)

Interjecting into a pause makes him stop entirely.

There's a look on his face that she doesn't recognize. She didn't think that could happen anymore.

"What? Why?"

She doesn't know how to answer.

"It's been eight years Harry."

She can't meet his eyes as she waits for him to figure it out.

"Hermione." Her name has never sounded like that coming out of his mouth.

She met his eyes and she has to use every bit of her courage not to look away.

Go, Go Gryffindor

"It doesn't change anything." It tastes like a lie even as she says it. She's not sure if he can see the truth in her eyes.

"You talked to me about girls in school." His voice is strange, choked.

"I'm your friend." It had always been that simple.

Four days passed with no word and she wonders if everything is ruined. She can't regret it.