Unofficial Portkey Archive

Midnight Musing by Jo Bob
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Midnight Musing

Jo Bob

AN: I'm back everyone! Sorry for my prolonged absence. I've been working on a new piece, but I just lost my computer (it can't find the hard drive!) and everything is gone!! This made me really sad, but I still wanted to get something out for you guys so I hope you enjoy it. There are neither Voldemorts nor evil Weasleys in this fic so it's straight and simple H/Hr! I personally think it's not that well developed, but I hope it comes across alright. You will also find that this story is quite obviously AU. Also, the time period of this isn't really that important, it's probably happening around fourth year. Finally, this is for the many authors that find that they get their best ideas late in the night (or early in the morning!). And yes, I wrote this between 12 AM and 3 AM so please excuse any glaring mistakes! Cheers!

Disclaimer: Even after being gone from Portkey for nearly four months, I still have not obtained the rights to Harry Potter. All of that good stuff belongs to J. K. Rowling!

~<>~

Midnight Musing

Jo Bob

A hard Quidditch game won, the Gryffindor team made its way happily back to the Common Room. The Ravenclaws had played a competitive game, but the combined prowess of the mighty Gyrffindor lions had prevailed. The entire house energetically followed the team back to the Gryffindor tower for a good old fashion party-the celebratory sort.

Harry Potter, seeker extraordinaire headed the group with his best friends, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, at his side. Harry and Ron excitedly recounted the games many spectacular plays while Hermione walked proudly next to her best friends.

"Didja like the game, Hermione?" asked Harry in an attempt to include his other best friend in the conversation.

"Very much," the pretty brunette replied, "Congratulations on a good game, Harry." She glowed happily at Harry's considerate actions. Little did our famous Quidditch star know, he had one best friend that had more than just friendly feelings for him. And for the record, it wasn't Ron!

"It wasn't just me! The entire team helped make today a success." Harry answered modestly.

"That's right, mate!" Ron cheered, "Hermione, did you see that fantastic save I made? The one where I…" Hermione's mind wandered off as she started to block Ron out. He often went on extensive rants about Quidditch, and Hermione had more important things to worry about: her feelings. Lately, her feelings had been confusing her. One moment, she'd be studying for Transfiguration. The next, she was suddenly lost in thought about how divinely green Harry's eyes were. Not having too much experience in these thoughts, Hermione was at a loss for what to do. She tried her best to just ignore and to block out the thoughts, but the feelings kept coming back to rampage like a group of rampaging pixies.

Fortunately for Hermione, she had discovered an outlet for her thoughts. Perhaps she wouldn't lose her mind after all.

"… So, did you see that one?" Ron prompted.

"Of course I did." Hermione answered smoothly, "It was a really great save, Ron."

Ron nodded happily, "One of the best moments of my life. I'm still on a high from that awesome twist!"

"It was pretty good, mate. Nice improv." Harry agreed.

Much Quidditch talk later, they arrived at the Common Room.

~<>~

The Common Room was quickly reconfigured to suit the needs of the eager students. Chairs and couches were pushed to the walls. The tables were quickly laden with food from the kitchens and butterbeer from… well, no one really knows! Someone turned up the wizarding wireless and popular dance music was enjoyed by all.

After a few minutes, the room had warmed up with the fire and a mob of dancing people. Harry removed his thick robe and set it carefully on the arm of a chair. He then returned to his conversation with Ron and a couple first years. They happily narrated the greatest Quidditch maneuvers they had ever seen and the younger students kept right up with Harry and Ron with fascinating stories about professional and even non-professional players.

Harry looked around the room, his eyes finally settling on Hermione. She happened to be turning to look at him at about the same time and the two shared a small smile. Harry quickly excused himself from the little group and got up to talk to her.

Ron snickered and smiled deviously at the first years. "Anyone want to bet how long it takes for them to get together?" he asked pointing at Harry and Hermione.

"I'll put a Galleon on this year."

"Psh… I'll match your Galleon and I'll say this month!"

Ron laughed, "This'll be fun." After thinking for a moment and glancing at Harry talking quietly with Hermione, "Ah what the heck, I'll join in too. I'll say a Galleon that they get together this week."

"Tonight!" another first year exclaimed.

"Aren't you ambitious." Ron said dryly. "Alright, so we have four Galleons here. Whoever is closest gets the money. Sound fair?" The young students nodded. Ron gazed at his best friends again. How long would it be, indeed, until they got together?

~<>~

Finally, the party was ended when Professor McGonagall came into the Common Room to inform the still partying students that Slytherins were complaining about the noise down in the dungeons. That is all she said and left with a small smile. It was clear that she was pleased with the magnificent Gryffindor win. Everyone figured that with classes continuing the next day, it would be in their best interest to get some shuteye.

Hermione watched Harry head up the stairs with Ron and the other boys. With a small smile to herself, she turned back to the coffee table that was pushed close to the warm fire. Hermione seated herself comfortably and pulled out a tiny booklet from her robes. With a quick swish and flick, the small volume became a more decently sized tome. Flipping to the next blank page, Hermione pulled out a quill and began to write.

After scribbling a few lines, Hermione looked up from the pages in deep thought. The fire crackled merrily in the midst as Hermione's mind wandered through the vast corridors of imagination. So enthralled was she by her thoughts, she didn't realize when she was no longer the only person in the room.

~<>~

Harry was preparing to change for bed when he realized that he had left his cloak downstairs. Turning to Ron, he pointed back to the Common Room, "I'm going to get my cloak."

"Just get it tomorrow."

"Nah, it'll only take a minute." With that said, Harry tiredly padded down the stairs again to retrieve his cloak. When he got to the bottom though, he realized that he wasn't the only one down there. Harry noticed Hermione sitting close the fire, bent over a little book. He grabbed his cloak off the chair and slowly approached his friend.

Hermione was still writing when she noticed another presence in the room. "Hermione?" She could recognize that voice anywhere. Hermione spun around and quickly shut her notebook.

"Harry, what are you still doing up?" Hermione asked breathlessly.

Harry held up his cloak, "I left this down here. But I could ask the same to you."

"I was just catching up on some work." Hermione answered after a moment.

"Why are you doing it now? It's so late."

"Sometimes I just think better and have my best ideas really late at night."

Harry looked thoughtful, "What is it you're writing?"

"Nothing," Hermione answered quickly, "It's just this." She said, holding up the small book for Harry to see.

In an instant, Harry had snatched the book out of her hands. "Harry!" Hermione hissed quietly. "Give it back! I should have remembered your Seeker skills!"

"Yes, you should have!" Harry replied with a smirk.

"Give it back!" Hermione insisted again.

"I just want to see what you're working on so late!" Harry replied and flipped the book open.

The room was suddenly deathly silent.

After several moments, Harry broke the silence, "Hermione, what is this?"

Hermione's face was flaming and she answered quickly, "Harry, I can explain…"

"Is this about me?" asked Harry.

Hermione only nodded. Harry's mind was running in hundreds of different directions and he had to quickly sit down to take it all in. Harry looked back at the book in his hands.

…Harry approached me with shining eyes. I looked deeply into them and smiled softly. "You're beautiful." He said and I blushed prettily. Then, out of nowhere, he asked, "Would you like to dance?" "But there is no music." I answered. Harry smiled at me again, "Love needs no music."…

"What is this?" Harry asked, "I don't understand."

Hermione bit her lip and opened her mouth. Sadly, nothing seemed to come out. She couldn't think of anything to say.

"Hermione… Do you… like me?" Harry asked dumbly.

After slowly coming to terms with the situation, Hermione figured that it was now no use to hide her feelings. With a deep breath, Hermione replied, "No, Harry, I don't just like you." At Harry's appalled expression, Hermione smiled slightly before continuing, "I love you. I have ever since I first got to know in our first year. You've been the sweetest and most courageous person I've ever known in my life. And you've also been my very best friend when I needed it the most. All of the years we've spent together as friends have shown me that you are a loyal, trustworthy, and truly genuine friend."

Harry's mind spun at the revelations. Was this really happening to him?! "But what is with this writing?" he asked dimly.

Hermione smiled again, "You're too distracting for your own good, Harry. I have to write down my thoughts or else I'd go crazy."

Harry was silent again. After taking in all of the new information, he decided that it was finally time for him to take the initiative, rather than the pretty girl in front of him. Harry set the book down beside him and reached out to take Hermione's hands into his own. "Hermione, I have a confession of my own. I really like you too. And while it may not seem like it, it's because I'm still very confused about my own feelings. You're pretty, smart, and an incredible person. I count myself very lucky to even have you as a friend. That's why I would never want to jeopardize our friendship." Hermione nodded and Harry continued, "Knowing how you feel though, I wanted to let you know that I feel the same."

Hermione beamed, "Oh, that's wonderful, Harry! But you don't need to say those things about me."

Harry nodded and grinned jovially. "You really are beautiful, Hermione." He insisted.

Hermione blushed prettily. "Thank you." She said softly.

"You're welcome." Harry whispered. Then after a moment, "Would you like to dance?" he asked with a smile.

Hermione laughed quietly, "But there's no music." She replied dutifully.

"Love needs no music." Harry answered smoothly and kissed her on the cheek. He then led Hermione across the room in a waltz (or at least he hoped it was the waltz!). Hermione grinned widely the entire time as Harry attempted to lead the dance.

In their own world, neither of them noticed Ron on the stairs watching them. Ron shook his head with a grin, "Harry owes me a Galleon." He then headed back up the stairs to bed.

Harry finally stopped pulling Hermione across the room. "Hey Hermione, I was wondering if perhaps you want to go to Hogsmeade with me sometime."

Hermione beamed, "That sounds like a lovely idea."

Harry smirked, "I get my best ideas late at night!"

FIn