Unofficial Portkey Archive

Love Changes by Lady Starlight
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Love Changes

Lady Starlight

Author Notes: The request for this piece was "fluff, fluff and more fluff". This is the fluffiest thing that I have ever written. I am not responsible for any resulting cavities. Thank you to my beta, Anndee Granger. You have been my voice of wisdom through so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Harry," began Hermione as they were strolling through Hogsmeade one cold, January day, "I think we should name our first son Albus."

Harry stopped in his tracks, Hermione halting short a step later as her hand was still entwined with Harry's. "You… what?"

Hermione could hardly keep the smirk off her face at Harry's expression. His expression was incredulous, but he also looked like he was trying to find a polite way of arguing with her. Laughing, Hermione reassured him, "I'm joking, Harry! He was one of the greatest Headmasters Hogwarts has ever had…but there are much better names."

Harry continued to stare at her for a moment, before rolling his eyes, exclaiming, "You witch."

"Brightest of my age," commented Hermione loftily, pulling Harry along the street towards Scrivenshaft's.

Pulling back on her arm, Harry wrapped his arms around her, bringing her close, a little bump pushing against him where their child was growing inside her. He leaned down slowly, one arm around her waist and the other on her back, bringing her up towards him.

Hermione's heart started racing. She loved when he was like this, his entire attention focused on her, whom he repeatedly said was the most important person in the world to him. With his intense look and the hands on her back, she grew slightly weak thinking about what those hands had been doing to her last night. Raising herself up slightly on her tiptoes, she wanted him to kiss her so badly.

His head was now so close to hers that their noses were practically touching, but he bent farther over, practically skimming his lips along her jaw line, before breathing gently in her ear, "It's a girl, anyways."

Hermione stepped back, startled, before swatting him on the arse, "Prat."

"But you still love me," remarked Harry, grinning at her, but his eyes betrayed far more depth than his light tone.

"Yes, I do love you, Harry James," whispered Hermione, taking his hand again.

"And I love you, Hermione Jane," responded Harry, quickly pecking her on the cheek before they resumed their stroll through town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She's beautiful, Hermione," Harry breathed as he took their daughter into his arms for the first time. The tiny child was enveloped in his arms as he stared at her, his face full of wonder. He could barely believe that child had come from them, even though he had been watching Hermione's stomach swelling for months. Her dark hair was everywhere, and he could not help but smile. Not taking his eyes off their daughter, he whispered, "How could something so perfect come from me?"

"That's real magic, Harry."

He looked up and into his wife's eyes. She looked tired, as was to be expected after the ordeal that she had gone through. In moments like this, she displayed her true strength in that she was able to care for him after having gone through so much herself. Harry perched himself on the edge of the bed, wrapping one arm around Hermione as the other brought their daughter closer to them.

"She looks like an Emilia, don't you think, Harry?" Hermione asked, her free hand playing with their daughter's dark hair.

"I think Emilia is a perfect name," Harry commented, turning to nuzzle his head into Hermione's damp hair. "Hermione…I just… she's…it's just…"

"I love you, Harry," said Hermione, turning her head up to kiss him.

"I love you too, Hermione," Harry returned her kiss. After all the pain he had gone through, nothing was more important than the two females in his arms right now. He had never done anything worthwhile without Hermione's help. Now, with her, he had been part of something truly…magical. She was right in her description.

"I love you, Emilia," Harry whispered to their newborn daughter, who lay sleepily in their combined arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Meet Grandpa James and Grandma Lily, David," Hermione said, holding their newborn son in her arms. The graveyard was all green, so different from the first time that she and Harry had been there, years ago. Hermione looked over where three-year-old Emilia was holding her father's hand, having been at the gravesite a few times before.

"They were true Gryffindors, son," Harry explained, "They gave everything so that eventually a very bad man could be defeated."

"And you and mummy did that, didn't you, dad?" Emilia piped in.

Harry met Hermione's gaze and she could not help but remember the terror that they went through in their quest. Yet, it was their shared experiences, which brought them closer together-brought them where they were today. They could never have done it without each other.

Harry knelt down next to their daughter and gathered her in his arms. "Yes, sweetie, we did, but we had a lot of help."

Hermione carefully sat down next to them, still cradling David. It was times like this when it was easy to see that all their sacrifices had been worthwhile in the end. She knew that they were making a difference, and that their children would not grow up in the same world as their parents had.

The family sat quietly for a moment, until baby David started whimpering, having decided that it was much too peaceful.

"I guess we should be getting home," remarked Hermione, handing David off to Harry so that she could get up off the ground, "Ron and Luna will be over soon with Harriet."

"My best friend!" exclaimed Emilia jumping up and starting to take off back to the house.

"One moment, pumpkin," Harry called out, "Come take your mum's hand."

Emilia skipped back and dutifully held her mother's hand as her father stood up and the family started back the way that they had come.

Harry took Hermione's hand in his and squeezed it tightly. There was no need for words right now; they both knew what the other was thinking. Instead, they just continued along while Emilia prattled on about what she absolutely had to do with Harriet when the other young girl got there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"All aboard!"

"Are you ready, Emilia?" Hermione bent down and whispered to her daughter.

"I think so, mum. After all, I double-checked my trunk both last night and this morning and if I need anything else, I can just owl you guys," responded Emilia, obviously running over her mental list of everything that she had packed.

Looking over her head, Hermione caught Harry grinning broadly and Ron laughing quietly.

"Hush, you two!" she mouthed at them and turned back to Emilia. "That's not what I meant, Em. You're going to have a wonderful time."

"I just hope Harriet and I end up in the same house," said Emilia, looking over to where her best friend was being patiently explained by her mum on how to avoid Gulping Plimpies.

"I doubt the Hat could separate you two," Hermione replied, grabbing David's hand as he tried to take off down the platform.

"Let's get the sprogs on the train," declared Ron, gathering his daughter's trunk as Harry similarly grabbed Emilia's.

Luna, Hermione, and their children, followed the guys onto the Hogwarts Express and got the trunks settled in an empty compartment. After a few more hugs and well wishes, everyone but Emilia and Harriet headed out and stood on the platform, watching the train pull out of the station.

"It's just 'til the Christmas hols, Hermione," comforted Harry as he noticed her expression.

"I know," said Hermione wistfully, "It's just that I've been waiting for and dreading this day for a long time. It'll be quieter around the house…though that may be a bit of a good thing."

Harry and Hermione smirked at each other. The Potter children had their parents' penchant for trouble, which had, at times, nearly driven their parents crazy.

"She'll be just fine. You did a good job raising her," said Harry.

"So did you, love," Hermione responded.

"See you three at our place on Saturday, then?" asked Ron, wrapping his arm around Luna.

"Sure, see you then," answered Harry, and then Ron and Luna Disapparated. He then turned to Hermione, "Time to go home, love?"

"Yes," Hermione replied, "I'll bring David. See you there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Mom and Dad,

Classes are going well, and it's nice to be back at the castle. I'm so glad that OWLs are done with and NEWTs aren't this year. I'll be busy enough being a Prefect and with Quidditch practice. Not that I'm slacking at all, you don't need to worry about that. After all, I did finish all my reading over the summer. I told you Harriet and I were doing more than gossiping. Speaking of Harriet, she's doing good too. We're determined that Gryffindor should win this year (I know Uncle Ron's been disappointed).

There's … something else. Teddy and I started dating. I don't think he's told Uncle Remus and Aunt Tonks yet, so don't tell them, but… I wanted to tell you both. Don't worry, Dad, he's a perfect gentleman.

Gotta get to Charms class, but wanted to let you know.

Love,

Em

"It's about time," remarked Hermione as she passed Emilia's letter to Harry.

"For what?" asked Harry, taking a moment to finish David's letter.

"Just read." Hermione smirked and sat back in her chair and took a sip of her tea.

"What! She's too young to be dating," exclaimed Harry setting the letter down and looking at his wife, who was smiling behind her mug of tea. How could he have missed that his little girl had grown up so much. It seemed like not that long ago that he was loading her trunk onto the Hogwarts Express for the first time. "What do you mean that it's 'about time'?"

"Honestly, Harry, they were mooning over each other all summer. I already lost a bet to Tonks as to when they were going to get together." Hermione sighed, and then returned her attention to Harry, "Plus, I seem to remember that you were certainly interested in dating when you were a sixth year."

Harry blushed and dropped his eyes, "Um…yeah, there was that."

"Harry," Hermione began, reaching for his hand across the table, "we've worked so hard to prepare our kids for growing up and this is part of that. I know you want to be her knight in shining armor, but she's found someone else for that role now. You can't save her from her decisions."

As he sat rubbing her hand with his, he realized that she was right. He needed to let go. They had prepared their children for life's realities, and taught them about more than just the life that they had experienced. He could not protect her from her choices, nor rush in to save the day. Then again, she was much like her mother and would not appreciate that anyways.

"I guess I do have a bit of a saving people thing, love," Harry said ruefully.

"And that's one of the reasons that I love you," replied Hermione, coming around the table and perching herself on his lap. "You're a good man, Harry Potter."

"I wouldn't be anything without you, Hermione," he whispered.

"And don't you forget it," teased Hermione and she wrapped her arms around his neck and bent down to kiss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wedding reception for Theodore and Emilia Lupin had been going on for three hours and showed little sign of stopping. All of their close family and friends seemed to be enjoying the company and glad for a chance to all be together.

"She does look radiant, doesn't she, Harry?" Hermione asked, gesturing over to where their daughter was slowly dancing with her groom in the middle of the dance floor. It was a happy day-no happy was not the right word. It was a joyful day, she thought. They both deserved each other and the fulfillment that came from finding that one person who made you better.

"They both look happy," Harry replied, wrapping his arms around his wife.

"I'm just glad that everything went smoothly. She's been stressing out so much about this day." Hermione snuggled back into Harry, glad that they were alone for the moment so that they could just enjoy each other's company. It had been over 20 years since they had said their vows and so much had changed since then. They were older, but not that much. Though just as passionate about their ideals, they had learned when to compromise. She never regretted saying yes to him, nor their life together. In truth, there had never been anyone else who she could have given herself to so completely.

"I love you, Harry," whispered Hermione into his ear.

"I love you too, Hermione. She really is all grown up now, isn't she?"

"Yes, she is. They'll make each other very happy," Hermione answered.

"Just like you and me, I hope," said Harry pulling her closer.

"I hope so too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's a boy!" announced Teddy Lupin as he carried his firstborn child out to the waiting family members.

"I was right," teased Harry, as he pulled Hermione back against him, letting Remus and Tonks see their grandson first.

"Yes, love, it would seem so," remarked Hermione. "I'll have to reward you later. But now, I want to see our daughter."

"And that grandson," Harry added. "I think they'll be great parents, Hermione."

"I know they will, Harry. We raised our daughter well."

"We did indeed."

Harry and Hermione joined hands and went to celebrate new life and joy with their family.