Unofficial Portkey Archive

Oxford Undercover by ladylaughalot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Oxford Undercover

ladylaughalot

Oxford Undercover

A/N - Well after a long sabbatical I am officially back. In my world "The Epilogue" never happened. Yes I know I'm delusional and No I don't care. So in this little world of mine Harry and Ginny never got back together in the end and Ron and Hermione only dated for a little while before coming to a mutual decision that they were better off as friends. Everything else I suppose I'll keep as stupid as some of it was. I don't necessarily remember all of the characters that died, I only read the final book once and quickly at that, so if somebody is alive in this story who is supposed to be dead I apologise.

Disclaimer: These characters belong to JK Rowling but the inspiration is drawn from the wonderful authors at PK. I own nothing but the plot and I make no money from this.

An unexpected surprise.

It had started like any other day. Hermione got her latte as usual from the coffee shop around the corner from the flat she shared with two of her fellow students and went to her first class of the day. Being a Monday the class was Philosophy of science. It was her favourite class in a course that she loved, though not many people she had gone to high school with understood why she chose to study the Physics and Philosophy at a muggle university, Oxford actually, she found it an absolutely fascinating study with more application to magic than many would give it credit for. She'd loved her first three years and now that she was entering her fourth that didn't look like it was going to change at all.

After her first class the day continued in a usual fashion, she went to the library and buried herself in books and research for a couple of hours and then at 12pm she went to meet her flatmates, and friends, in their favourite cheep local eatery for lunch and that's when the day started to become unlike other days.

They were all just sitting around talking about the favourite subject of University students (aside from the latest parties that is)

`Well I've got Cookson again this semester and I told you both know what I went through with him last year so I don't think either of you can top that!' Gina said laughing

`Really?' Hayley countered, `Well you have little faith in our college's choice of professors then because I have The Toad again this year! I swear I expect him to croak every time he opens his mouth... I never hear above half of what he says in lectures because of it!' They all laughed at that.

`Well I'm sorry ladies but I think I can trump you both!' Hermione said triumphantly, `I not only have Mrs Pernickety again as a lecturer but you would not believe the assignment that she's already handed out, on the very first day of Semester!' Hermione lent down and rummaged in her bag for the offending assignment.

`Only you Hermione would call someone "Mrs Pernickety" as an insult!' Gina said laughing.

`You'd know how appropriate it was if you'd ever had a class taught by her!' Hermione said head still buried in her bag. She finally found the paper she had been looking for and produced it with a flourish, but oddly the two girls she was with no longer seemed interested. They both had their eyes glued to the door.

`Well would you look at that.' Hayley said softly. Hermione followed her gaze and turned towards the door to see Harry. In the entire time she'd been at Oxford he'd yet to come and visit her there not because they'd had any kind of falling out but he was busy with work and she with school and it was just easier for both of them if they caught up in London while she was on holidays. So though Hermione was sure he must be there looking for her, she had absolutely no idea why.

`Harry?' she called out standing up to draw his attention to her.

`That's Harry?' she heard Gina whisper to Hayley, `I guess so' Hayley responded when Harry waved and made his way over.

`Hermione' he said happily enveloping her in a hug.

`What are you doing here Harry?' she asked, `Not that I'm not happy to see you of course' she rushed to reassure him.

`I got some leave from work and thought I'd come visit you.'

Hermione frowned; this was not typical Harry behaviour. `Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?' he asked plonking himself down on the seat beside her. She sat down as well and only then noticed Harry's play along look. So trying to act natural she smiled brightly, `Of course, Gina, Hayley this is Harry my best friend from school that I told you about.'

`So nice to finally meet you Harry, Hermione's told us so much about you.' Gina gushed at him.

Harry smiled back at her, `Only good things I hope?'

`Of course, anyone would think you'd saved the world the way she goes on sometimes!' Hayley said laughing.

Harry chuckled and looked at Hermione who blushed uncomfortably.

`So where are you staying while you're in town then Harry?' Gina asked changing the subject for Hermione's sake.

`I've got a hotel room just around the corner; I wanted to be close enough to hang out with Hermione when she's between classes.'

`You don't have to stay in a hotel! We've got a spare room you should just stay with us.' Hayley offered her eyes twinkling mischievously.

`I wouldn't want to intrude' Harry protested weakly.

`It'd be no intrusion! Any friend of Hermione's is a friend of ours.' Gina said encouragingly.

`Well if it's ok with you Hermione?' Harry looked at her questioningly. The question hung in the air as the other three all looked at her. Hermione couldn't help but feel like she'd been set up for something but at the same time how could she refuse and why would she want to? It'd be great to have Harry around for a while visiting and since her friends didn't look like they would object she had no reason too.

`Of course its fine with me, I would have offered already if I'd known you were coming.'

Harry had the grace to blush, `well why don't you come to the hotel with me so I can get my stuff, you can show me where you live and I'll fill you in on what's been happening over the last few weeks?' Hermione knew instantly that was Harry code for "lets go somewhere we can talk alone and I'll tell you why I'm really here." So she agreed and they left the crowded little cafe and made for the street outside.

Soon they were walking down the cobbled stone street with the sunshine in their faces and Hermione, uncharacteristically ignoring the beauty of the day, saw no reason to delay the inevitable any further.

`Ok so we're alone now, so spill, what's going on?'

`Gee Hermione anyone'd think you weren't pleased to see me!' Harry exclaimed with an expression of mock hurt.

`Well you're not anyone and you know better so spill, I'm starting to get worried.'

`It's nothing to panic about,' he saw her look and revised, `well, not now that I'm here to look after you its not.'

`To look after me?' she repeated alarmed, `Harry what is going on?'

`We've been tracking this serial killer for some time, he's killed four girls already and I was getting worried about you and wanted to keep an eye on you until he's caught.'

`Is there a particular reason you think I'm in danger or is this a Harry Potter "gut-feeling" special'

`Well a little of both. There hasn't been any specific clue to make us think that he'll be after you but...' Harry trailed off uncertainly.

`But what? Just tell me Harry, I'm a big girl I can take it.'

`But he's been targeting muggle born. Girls specifically and they've all had brown hair, two of them had curly hair. The last one in particular bore such a strong resemblance to you I ... I had to come.'

`Ok so, there's nothing to suggest that I'm an intended victim but I'm defiantly his type and until he's caught you'd rather be here to take care of me than somewhere else and worried. Is that about it?'

`Yeah basically.'

`Can I assume that since I'm sure I'm not the only muggle born brunette witch left in Brittan that this isn't Aurora sanctioned surveillance?'

`No, the part about me being on leave is true. This is my hotel.' Harry gestured to the narrow four story building on their left.

`Well let's get your stuff then.'

It only took them a few minutes to get his things and for him to check out of the hotel and they were on their way back to the apartment that Hermione shared with Gina and Hayley. Now that Hermione knew what was going on and that there was no specific threat to her or someone she loved she found that she was much more relaxed and even excited to have Harry there. So many times over the last three years she had wanted to show Harry or Ron something or share some aspect of her life here with them and not been able to. Instead she could only tell them about it later when they caught up in London during her holidays, she supposed that was how Harry had known where to find her but when she mentioned it he just looked sheepish.

`Sorry to disappoint you but I couldn't remember the name of the place where you said you always had lunch. I've just been wondering around the town this morning but I did recognise the name when I saw it.'

Hermione just laughed and then couldn't resist teasing him a little, `I think you might regret agreeing to stay at the flat though.'

Harry looked confused, `Why would I, that's what I was hoping for?'

`Yes but perhaps you weren't counting on my flat mates finding you so unutterably handsome.'

Harry laughed and blushed a little at the same time, `I have to say you're taking the news of this psycho quite well Hermione.'

She shrugged but accepted his change of topic, `I don't suppose I've really got that much choice in the matter do I? I can't very well go into hiding not with the new semester just starting in my final year. Besides,' she added looking at her best friend with a wide grin, `Of all the muggle born brunette witches in Brittan I've got the best protection.'

Harry laughed, `Yeah well it was either this or go mad with worry about you.'

`It's very sweet of you and I really appreciate it.' Hermione looked thoughtful for a moment and then asked the question that had been bothering her since he'd told her the real reason he was here. `How long are you planning on staying with me? I mean if they catch this guy quickly then it's not a problem, but what if they don't?'

`Yeah, I've thought about that. I can't stay away from work indefinitely, and as much as you think your flatmates like me I'm sure they wouldn't want me around all year.'

`Right, so what's the solution then?'

`I was thinking that with your help maybe, we could catch this guy together?' he had no desire to put her in any kind of danger but she'd been spot on when she'd said all the other muggle born brunettes in England were absolutely defenceless comparatively. He was still worried how she would take this suggestion and in her silence was hesitant to meet her gaze. When he did finally get the gryffindor to look her in the eye he was surprised to see a familiar sparkle there. Hermione was grinning and an answering grin began to form on Harry's face in response, she was in and he knew it.

`What's the plan?'

-->