Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Truth About Rose Weasley by Searcy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Truth About Rose Weasley

Searcy

The truth about rose weasley

I know you are all awaiting the next installment of "Always Wanted" which I am diligently working on and hope to have it out soon. However during one of my recent perusals of the site I read a couple of fics from the Truth About Rose Weasley challenge and this one-shot jumped into my head and wouldn't leave me alone until I'd given it its due.

Enjoy.

Searcy…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Going home early Rose!"

"Must have plans with that gorgeous husband of hers!"

As Rosalind Lupin passed by the open doors of the St. Mungos staff break room she stopped at the sound of her fellow healers Jonathan Winters and Abigail Carter. Pausing in the doorway Rose smiled as she replied.

"Adam came in a bit early today and I didn't see much reason to keep working if he was on the job so I decided to head home and surprise Ted with a home cooked meal for once."

Jonathan nodded.

"A man always appreciates a home cooked meal. I know if I could find a witch who had some skill in the kitchen I'd marry her in a heartbeat."

Jonathan threw a hopeful glance in Abigail's direction, who in turn rolled her eyes as she stood up and said.

"Sorry Jon, the only thing I can make in the way of food is reservations."

Rose giggled at the openly put out look on Jonathan's face as Abigail linked arms with her and steered her down the corridor. She just managed to shout a call of "Goodnight" over her shoulder to Jon before being whisked away by Abby. Giving her friend a sideways glare Rose said.

"You know you really could be a bit easier on Jon. He's a nice bloke who genuinely seems to fancy you…"

Rose paused for a beat then added.

"You could do a lot worse than a wizard who might be a bit goofy but is also sweet, caring and honest."

Abby eyed her back as she answered.

"Yes all that is great but a girl likes a good bit of handsome sexy trouble every now and again as well."

It was Rose's turn to give the patented eye-roll.

"Handsome sexy trouble is not always as good as its cracked up to be…me I'm rather partial to my sweet, caring, honest and sometimes horribly goofy husband thank you very much."

Abby snorted sarcastically.

"Yes I'm certain you do prefer your sweet, caring, honest and sometimes horribly goofy husband who also just happens to be quite a bit on the handsome and sexy side as well!"

Rose opened her mouth to protest Abby's portrayal of Ted but then an image of her gracefully built husband fluttered across her mind's eye and with a slightly saucy smile she murmured.

"You're right about that!"

The two young women shared a girlish giggle as they stepped into the lift at the end of the corridor. Once they were inside Abby asked.

"How are things with you, Ted and the Weasleys?"

Rose wrinkled her nose in distaste as she answered.

"Better I suppose but there's still a fair amount of tension. As you'd expect cousin Victoire and auntie Fleur are still a bit cool towards me. Christian and Emile only act civilized towards Ted when our granddad or their father is within hearing range. But Uncle Bill and everyone else seemed to have moved on. With the exception of my grandmother Molly who, though she'd never admit, comes up with all these concerns about why she thinks we'll never work in the end, personally I think she's still hung up on the fact that Ted called off things with her precious Victoire…"

Abby cut in.

"But they'd ended things ages before you two got together!"

Rose nodded.

"I know that but when a Weasley woman gets a notion in her head about love all the logic in the world is rubbish. Just look at my aunt Ginny, she and my uncle Harry had been miserable for ages and everybody knew it. But when uncle Harry finally decided to end their marriages, after their children told them both it was best for all concerned mind you, aunt Ginny still fought him tooth and nail for nearly three years before the divorce was final."

Abby gaped at her friend incredulously.

"What'd she hope to gain by doing something as spare as that?"

Rose shrugged.

"She called it love…although my mum reckoned that it was her trying to fight against losing all the perks that came with being Mrs. Harry Potter."

Abby's mouth contorted itself into a perfect "O" as she nodded her head in understanding. At that precise moment the lift clattered to a stop. As they stepped into the ground floor waiting area Rose immediately took notice of the crush of people lining the room. As always there was an assortment of individuals with various ailments vying to be the first to see a healer. But in addition to the expected hospital clientele Rose caught sight of literally dozens and dozens of black robed Ministry officials. Upon closer inspection she also saw more than a few of the deep purple colored robes of the members of the Wizengamut. A cold sense of dread stole over Rose and she caught sight of the knots of wizards and witches she saw standing guard around the various exits in and out of the area who were wearing the red aurors robes she'd seen her father, her uncle and now her husband don every day. Something terrible had happen. Without saying a word to Abby, Rose turned on her heal and strode over to the front desk. Marcia Mapleton was on duty and Rose was about to ask her what in bloody hell was going on when she heard two raised voices that made her stop dead in her tracks.

"GET OUT OF MY WAY BOOT!"

"I'M SORRY; I KNOW YOU'RE UPSET RIGHT NOW HARRY, BUT ONLY MEDICAL PERSONNEL IS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT!"

Harry Potter ignored the words of his former schoolmate Terry Boot who was now the Head Healer at St. Mungos as he made to step past and head into the restricted severe treatment area. Acting far more bravely than he felt Terry smacked his open palm into the chest of Harry Potter and in his most authoritative voice said.

"I'VE TOLD YOU, I'M NOT LETTING YOU BACK THERE…"

Harry pinned Terry with a gaze so venomous that Terry would later wonder how it was that he hadn't died right there on the spot. Harry's emerald eyes flashed fire as he turned his head slightly and Terry found himself lifted off the ground and slammed hard into the wall.

Seeing her uncle having it on with Chief Healer Boot made Rose's blood run cold. Her thoughts shifted to Ted. Please Merlin let him be alright. Changing direction Rose rushed to her uncle's side. She arrived just as Harry's voice lowered to a threatening whisper and he said.

"Hermione is back there so if I have to go through you to get to her then I haven't got a problem with that!"

Healer Boot blanched visibly at Harry's words as he struggled to remove the hand that Harry was presently using to crush his windpipe.

"What's happened to mum?!"

At the sound of Rose's voice Harry released his hold on Terry Boot, dropping him unceremoniously to the floor as he turned around and came face to face with Hermione's daughter. Looking at Rose was like looking at a mirror image of Hermione only with deliberate mistakes. Instead of Hermione's bushy brown curls Rose's hair was a deep rich auburn that was more wavy than curly. She had her mother's pert little upturned nose and her curiously intelligent eyes though Rose's were more hazel than chocolate in color. And though she had inherited Hermione's crooked teeth and penchant for biting her lips during times of stress and frustration, the slightly crooked always mischievous smile she generally wore had come courtesy of her father. Rose took a step forward and grasping Harry by the arm shook him forcefully as she asked again.

"Uncle Harry, what's happened to my mum?!"

Harry closed his eyes for a second before taking Rose's hands in his and saying.

"There was a mishap during the Camwood hearing at the ministry this afternoon..."

Rose had overheard Harry and Ted discussing something about some bloke called Camwood that they were investigating several weeks earlier. As she recalled that bit of information she interjected.

"What does one of your cases have to do with mum being here?!"

Harry took a deep breath before answering.

"Camwood is the son of a supposed Death Eater who was placed in Azkaban during the Second War. He took up the family business and so I went after him. I brought him in a few weeks ago. Because of the nature of the case, the level of security, Her…Her…Hermione was brought on to oversee the proceedings…"

Harry paused and took another deep breath before continuing.

"I was late getting there…out on another case…I got there as soon as I could…the full Wizengamut had been convened so I had to sit at the back…"

Harry shook his head. Rose squeezed his hands in hers; her voice sounded that of a little girl as she whispered in a pleading voice.

"Uncle Harry please…what happened to mum!"

Harry gritted his teeth as he replied.

"They found Camwood guilty and they gave him the harshest sentence possible…"

Rose surmised that this Camwood must have been a very bad sort to be hunted by her uncle, tried by her mother in the presence of a full convening of the Wizengamut and to receive a life sentence in Azkaban while having his magic bound and stripped, Rose refocused on the words her uncle was speaking.

"When he heard the ruling he went spare and made a run for it. Several of the Ministry's hit wizards and a few aurors tackled him and wrestled him to the ground. He was screaming and cursing…bleeding idiots should have hit him with a body bind…as they were dragging him out of the room he pulls out a wand…apparently he'd managed to get one off of one of the hit wizards that he tussled with earlier. I'd made it about halfway through the crowd when I saw him raise the wand. I did a nonverbal but I wasn't fast enough…his spell got to Hermione before mine got to him."

Rose wasn't sure how she heard the last ten words that Harry spoke, they were spoken so softly. She felt his grip tighten on her hands and she instinctively looked up into her uncle's eyes. She was struck by the tears filling Harry's eyes as he agonized over his perceived ineffectualness.

"I'm sorry Rose…I should have been there faster…I should have been protecting her."

Rose laid her palm to Harry's cheek and in a manner that was far too like her mother said.

"You're not to blame for the madness of others; none of this is your doing. I know you did your best to protect mum and everyone else in that room. I don't blame you and neither does anyone else."

Rose held Harry's gaze steadily for several moments before she spoke again.

"Everything is going to be fine, mum will be fine."

With that said Rose turned round and headed straight for the doors leading to the ward for victims of dark curses. As she made to push the doors open her way was barred by Chief Healer Terry Boot.

"Healer Lupin where do you think you're going?"

Rose's reply was simple.

"My mum is back there."

Terry replied matter of factly.

"I am aware of your mother's whereabouts but you can't go back there."

"I am a trained healer…one of the best you have on staff when it comes treating dark curses…"

Terry cut in.

"Yes you are a damn fine healer, of that there is no question. But that's your mother in there and I can't let you treat her."

Rose opened her mouth to object but Healer Boot's raised hand caused her to stop before she started.

"I can't allow you to take on that responsibility Rose…I just can't."

The tone of his voice and the look in his eyes told Rose how serious things were. Dejectedly she nodded her head in acceptance of Terry's words. Terry gently patted her shoulder as he said.

"I've got to get back in there. As soon as there's any change I'll let you know."

Rose nodded again. As Terry turned and pushed through the doors Rose called after him.

"Pl…please don't let her die."

Terry inclined his head and replied.

"I'll do my best, but I have to be honest with you Rose, things don't look good."

As the doors swung shut Rose turned and launched herself into the arms of her uncle and allowed the tears she'd been holding back to flow unchecked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hugo Weasley burst into the reception area of St. Mungos. The tall brown haired wizard's blue-eyed gazed searched the room frantically until he caught sight of the familiar auburn tresses of his older sister Rose. He strode quickly across the room, his garishly bright Canons practice robes rippling in the wake of his rapid strides. When he reached the row of seats on which his sister sat Hugo grasped her shoulder and in an urgent tone he called.

"Rose…I came as soon as I could…what's happened?!"

At the sound of her brother's desperate querying voice Rose raised her head and a fresh torrent of hot tears tumbled down her cheeks as she leapt to her feet and throwing her arms around her brother and cried.

"Oh Hugh…its mum…she was presiding over a case this afternoon and…and…she was hit with some dark curse…they're working on her now…but they won't let me in there…and its bad Hugh…its very bad…they said…they said…that things don't look good."

Rose buried her head in her Hugo's chest as her sobs overwhelmed her. Hugo bowed his head as he attempted to comfort his sister as best he could but he himself felt numb and nearly hysterical at the knowledge that he may be about to lose the only parent he had left. It had been just a little over three years ago that they'd lost their father, would fate be so cruel as to take their mother now as well.

While on assignment in Yangon Ronald Weasley had contracted a particularly virulent strain of the Burmese Scarlet Plague. Within a matter of weeks Ron's otherwise healthy body had been overcome by the disease and Rose and Hugh had been left without a father for the second time in their lives. The first time had come seven years before that Ron and Hermione had separated and divorced. Though Rose and Hugh had been told that their parents' relationship had always been tempered by a fair amount of friction it had always been tempered by the deep abiding love they shared. But somehow over the years that love seemed to dissipate until all that remained was the friction which led to an endless litany of shouting matches and slamming doors. Not wanting her children to endure her and Ron's incompatibility Hermione had filed for divorce and moved herself and the children to Bloomsbury. Immediately following the divorce Ron had taken a post as a hit wizard and spent the next two years traipsing around Europe eradicating would be threats to the wizarding world. After his stint as a hit wizard it had taken another year and a half for Ron to rebuild his relationship with his children but gradually they had made peace. Then just when things finally seemed to have truly righted themselves Ron was gone. And now it looked as if the meager Granger-Weasley brood was marked for yet another tragedy.

"Hugh how is aunt Hermione?"

Hugo turned around and saw his cousins James, Al and Lily Potter hurrying towards him, their faces etched with concern. Hugo replied dismally.

"Not good."

Hugo recounted the story that Rose had told him upon his arrival at St. Mungos. After hearing of their aunt's bleak prognosis the three Potters sat huddled with their Weasley cousins in silent commiseration. They had been sitting for several minutes when Harry strode into the waiting area. Catching sight of his father Al took Rose's hand in his own and asked.

"Where's dad been?"

Rose's reply was muttered but discernible to Al.

"They wouldn't let him back to see mum and he was doing his nut here waiting to hear something…then word came that they were going to interrogate Camwood…the one who did this…he said he needed to be there."

Rose fell silent and a chill ran through Al as he imagined what all his father might have done to this Camwood. Rose seemed to share the same thought. The pair stared after Harry as if attempting to divine what had transpired at the Ministry. As if he could feel their gazes upon him Harry looked up. He cast a hopeful glance at Rose. It was clear he was eager to hear of a positive change. With a heavy heart Rose shook her head. A defeated expression crossed Harry's face as he turned to stare blankly out of the window. Rose turned her gaze to Al who was still watching his father; she squeezed his hand and said.

"He's taking this pretty hard…"

Al turned to look at Rose and finished her sentence.

"He has it in mind that it's all his fault."

Rose nodded.

"Thinks he should have been faster…you should talk to him, he generally listens to you."

Al nodded and simultaneously got to his feet. Leaning down he affectionately kissed Rose on the forehead before heading towards his father. Al had covered half the distance between himself and his father when Teddy Lupin burst through the door just to Harry's right. Safely ensconced in his arms was Caleb, Teddy and Rose's one year old son. Seeing Harry Teddy strode over to the man who was the closest thing he had to a father and asked?

"Is there any change?"

Harry shook his head. When nothing further was forth coming Teddy placed a hand on his godfather's shoulder and was about to ask Harry how he was holding up. Harry interrupted Teddy before he had the chance to pose his question by plucking Caleb from his arms and saying.

"Rose could use those shoulders of yours just now, I'll mind Caleb."

Teddy recognized the dismissal as his godfather's not wanting to discuss himself at the moment. For the moment he acquiesced. Patting Harry on the back Teddy turned and headed across the room to where Rose was sitting. He'd taken about four steps when he stopped again to speak with Al.

"He as bad as he looks?"

Al inclined his head towards his father. Teddy replied without looking back.

"Worse I reckon. And Rose?"

"Just barely keeping it together I'd say."

Teddy nodded and clapped Al on the back as he went to sit beside his wife. As soon as he sat down Teddy pulled Rose into his arms. He didn't ask her any questions he simply held her close and told her that everything would be fine. That her mother was the strongest witch he knew and that if anyone could pull through this she could. Their intimate moment was broken up by the arrival of Chief Healer Terry Boot. Rose and Teddy stood together. Hugo came and stood at his sister's right side. They clutched hands as Terry began to speak.

"We've isolated the curse and stopped its progress. We've treated the damage that'd been caused internally as best we could. Now, all we can do is wait."

Rose locked eyes with Healer Boot. Their gazes held for a few moments before Terry cleared his throat and said.

"I sorry, I wish I had better news."

With that he turned and disappeared back down the ward. Hugo dropped into the chair behind him and buried his face in his hands. Lily sat down beside him and wrapped her arm around his shoulders as she tried her best to comfort him. James walked over to where Al and Harry were cloistered to give them the latest news. It was then that Rose looked up and caught sight of Caleb nestled securely in Harry's arms. Despite her worry over her mother Rose couldn't help smiling at the sight of her son.

Not long after she and Ted had married Rose found out she was pregnant with Caleb. Though he hadn't been planned both she and Ted had been ecstatic. They weren't the only ones either. Though most of the Weasleys had been quite vocal in their protests against Rose's marriage her mother and her dear uncle Harry had been her and Ted's staunchest supporters. And while everyone else had been shocked by news of the pregnancy Hermione and Harry had been overjoyed at the news. With their own fathers gone Rose and Ted had awarded Harry the title of grandfather to little Caleb Alexander Lupin. It was a role he cherished. From the moment they'd laid eyes on each other there was an instant bond between Caleb and Harry. They seemed to understand each other in a way that no one else could. It was a running joke of Andromeda's that Caleb had spent so much time with his honorary grandfather that he was starting to look like him. As that thought crossed her mind Rose looked over at Caleb. His dark brown hair stood haphazardly around his head in a fashion exactly like the three Potter men surrounding him. A smile lit Caleb's face and he flashed that lopsided grin of his that so reminded her of the crooked smile that so often illuminated Al's face. And then there were his eyes, Caleb had the most beautiful eyes; almond shaped and hazel brown, with high arcing brows exactly like her uncle Harry's save the color which matched James' exactly. Rose froze as she took in the sight of her son cradled in the arms of his honorary grandfather yet looking so much like him it was as if he were James or Al's son instead of hers.

Suddenly Rose was striding across the room, before she fully understood where she was going and why she was standing staring at Harry with the most peculiar expression covering her face. Without ever taking her eyes off Harry Rose spoke.

"Al, James, would you mind taking Caleb over to Ted, I'd like a word with your dad."

The two younger men replied with nods of their heads. Al then took Caleb and the brothers headed off. Harry inquired.

"Have you had more news about Hermione?"

Rose responded to Harry's inquiry with one of her own.

"Why does Caleb have your eyes?"

Harry's head snapped up.

"What?"

"Why does Caleb have your eyes exactly…well except for the color, they're the color of James'. And he has Al's crooked grin and the notoriously uncontrollable hair that all three of you have. He's always borne an uncanny resemblance to you but I always put it down to the strength of the Weasley genes but you're not a Weasley…you're a Potter…so how is it possible that my son can look so much like you when you're only related to him through marriage?"

Harry expelled a deep breath and asked.

"Is there someplace we can speak more privately?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rose strode into the family conference room with Harry hot on her heels. As the door swung shut behind them, Rose turned to face him and asked bluntly.

"Are you my father?"

Though he was fully expecting the conversation to eventually end up on the biology of her parentage Harry hadn't expected Rose to put it out there so candidly.

"Rose…"

Harry's attempt at an explanation was cut across by Rose's forceful reiteration of the question.

"Are you my father?!"

Rose stood glaring at Harry, her hands clenched into fists at her sides, mouth set in a tight thin line, eyes flashing angrily. Seeing her standing there before him reminded Harry of a time not so long ago when he'd been a bit younger than Rose was and had learned some truths about himself that he would've appreciated knowing long before he'd stumbled into the knowledge all on his own. Remembering the resentment he'd harbored towards those who'd kept the truth from him Harry sighed as he said.

"Yes Rose I am your father."

Rose took a step backward as she shook her head in disbelief.

"How…how could you do that…to your best friend…to your wife…how could mum have…have…how could the two of you have done such a thing?"

Frowning quizzically Harry shook his head.

"How could we have done what?"

Rose snorted in disgust.

"Done what you say…how about the commission of adultery that resulted in the birth of an illegitimate daughter that was subsequently passed off as another man's is that enough of a what for you!"

"Rose you've got the wrong end of things. Hermione and I…we never…not to say I haven't thought about it…but…your mother and I we've never been intimate…at least not in the way you're implying…"

"Implying…I'm not a bloody implication…"

Seeing the fury etched on her face Harry interjected.

"Of course you're not an implication Rose…you're an amazing young woman who inherited her mother's brilliance and her father's temper. And yes you are my daughter but only in the biological sense…"

Harry paused and expelled a frustrated breath that fluttered the locks of graying black hair that he attempted to use to cover the lightning bolt shaped scar that marred his forehead.

"Rose it's a long and complicated story."

Pulling two of the chairs away from the table Rose sat down, gesturing towards the other she said.

"We've got time."

Harry sat down and for the next three quarters of an hour he told her the truth of her parentage. Harry told Rose about how despite Ron and Hermione's having been married a year before he and Ginny they were still childless even after Ginny had given birth to James. Hermione suspected that something may be wrong. Helen, Hermione's mother, had had a difficult time conceiving; she'd had two miscarriages before she had gotten pregnant with Hermione. Hermione suspected that she may have been suffering from the same troubles as her mum and had gone to see a healer for confirmation. In the end it turned out that it wasn't Hermione who had the problem after all. This was how the young couple found out that Ron was sterile. It was a devastating blow. The healer they'd seen was muggle born like Hermione and suggested that they look into some alternatives. Ron and Hermione spent the next several weeks going over every possible option available to them. They decided their best hope was invitro fertilization. Ron liked the idea of their child being biologically linked to Hermione even if it wasn't so for him. However he wasn't as keen on the idea of the father being some nameless, faceless stranger. That was how Harry got involved.

Ron asked Harry if he'd consider being his and Hermione's donor. Ron said he would feel more comfortable knowing who the biological father of child was and that he couldn't think of anyone he'd trust more with this than Harry. Harry had of course agreed, after all their years of friendship and the many sacrifices that Ron and especially Hermione had made for him he felt it was the least he could do for them. Ginny on the other hand had thought the idea mad. She didn't believe that Harry would be able to separate himself from a child that he knew was his. Ginny also took issue with the fact that it was Hermione Harry was siring a child for. The many months they had spent together during the horcrux hunt had increased the closeness between Harry and Hermione considerably. A fact that Ginny resented. Harry went ahead with his plans in the face of wife's protestations.

Albus Severus Potter and Rosalind Catherine Weasley were born exactly three weeks, four days and seven minutes apart. Hermione hadn't been entirely wrong about inheriting her mother's problems in relation to child bearing. The pregnancy had been exceedingly difficult on her and the delivery itself had been worse. She'd hemorrhaged so badly that they'd nearly lost her. After her recovery Hermione was advised by the healers not to attempt another pregnancy. Having been an only child and not wanting the same for her daughter Hermione and Ron adopted Hugo two years after Rose was born. His parents, both wizards, had died in a car crash. Hermione's inability to bear more children and Hugo's adoption had always been public knowledge but the rest had been a well kept secret. Rose looked over at the man who she now knew to be her father and softly queried.

"Was anyone ever going to tell me about all of this?"

Harry shook his head.

"There was nothing to tell. You were meant to be Ron and Hermione's daughter and that's who you are."

This time it was Rose who shook her head.

"But I'm not…not entirely…"

Harry gently laid a hand atop Rose's.

"Ron and Hermione raised you. The beautiful intelligent woman you've grown up to be is all their doing. All I did was increase your chances for having knobby knees, an explosive temper and incredibly buggered up hair."

For the first time since much earlier in the evening Rose laughed.

"You did far more than that. You've always been there for me and Hugh and for mum. All the times mum and dad rowed, you were there helping to sort things out. And when he and mum finally split and he went away you were there for us again. You stuck up for me and Ted when everyone else was against us. You walked me down the aisle. My whole life you've been there loving and supporting me…what's that if it's not parenting."

Rose turned her hand over and slipping her fingers through her father's said.

"And as it happens I rather like incredibly buggered up hair."

It was Harry's turn to laugh. Leaning over he tenderly kissed his daughter's forehead as he whispered.

"Oh my little rosebud."

At the sound of the pet name that Harry had given her in childhood, a name that he'd stopped using when she'd turned twelve and told him she was far too grown up for pet names. Rose wrapped her arms around her father's neck and said.

"Thank you."

Harry returned Rose's embrace.

"You're welcome love, you're welcome."

That was the way James and Teddy found them when they came to deliver the news that Hermione was awake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six Months Later

"So what did Healer Fernson say?"

Rose looked across the table at her mother who was sipping pumpkin juice. Hermione set the glass down lightly and picking up a chip from her plate she fed it to Caleb who was sitting on her lap.

"Healer Fernson and Healer Boot agree that I have quite fully recovered. I've even been given clearance to return to work."

Rose smiled as she popped a bit of fish into her mouth and chewed vigorously making sure to swallow before she spoke.

"Hmmm…I feel so honored …I'd have guessed that you'd have headed straight for the Ministry as soon as they gave you the all clear."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Ha Ha Ha…I'd forgotten how cheeky you can be?"

Rose just smiled impishly. Ignoring her daughter's teasing Hermione continued.

"Actually I've been thinking about extending this leave of absence for a few months yet."

Rose was shocked.

"Really...for how long?"

"At least until September."

Intrigued by what her mother would do with all of this new found free time Rose posed another question.

"What will you do?

Hermione shrugged.

"I haven't really decided on anything beyond the month in Spain with Harry."

Rose quirked an eyebrow. In the months since her mother's attack Rose had noticed that her parents had grown closer than ever. Having watched them so closely Rose had seen the devotion and tenderness they held for each other. She'd also noticed the longing looks Harry bestowed upon her mother when no one else was watching. Rose had come to the conclusion that her father was heels over head in love with her mother and she suspected that he always had been. And she was equally certain that her mother harbored similar feelings for her father as well. Hermione's voice drew Rose back to the present.

"Rose."

Rose spoke.

"You two've been spending an awful lot of time together lately. And now you're planning a month's holiday in Spain, is there something you aren't telling me."

A furrow creased Hermione's brow as she looked at her daughter and asked.

"And what exactly do you mean by that?"

Neither Rose nor Harry had mentioned to Hermione that the secret of her birth was not longer a secret. Deciding to throw caution to the wind Rose replied.

"Is something going on between you two.

Hermione's mouth flapped open in surprise.

"Rose I honestly can't believe that you of all people would ask me such a thing. You know very well that Harry and I have been friends for ages. We've spent most of our lives together to be honest. I suppose it just looks as if we're spending more time together because Harry's been in overprotective worry mode since that whole Camwood affair."

Hermione shifted the now sleeping Caleb so that he was snuggled contentedly in the crook of her arm. Her attention was pulled from the sleeping form of her grandson by her daughter's voice.

"Yes mum, I know that you and Harry have been friends since forever. And I know that he can be very overprotective but I think it's a bit obvious that Harry's care and concern in regard to you goes deeper than mere friendship."

Hermione looked askance at her eldest child.

"And why else would he be so concerned about me if not because of our friendship?"

Rose replied evenly in three quick words.

"He loves you."

Hermione smiled.

"Well of course Harry loves me, we've been friends so long and we're so close…"

Rose interjected.

"No mum I mean he's in love with you."

Hermione sat up a bit straighter and quirked an eyebrow.

"Rose what in the name of Merlin would make you think something like that!"

"Mum its obvious how he feels about you. I reckon if Caleb could express himself a bit better even he'd tell you how mad about you Harry is."

Hermione shook her head.

"Rose you're being ridiculous."

Rose leaned back in her seat.

"I'm being ridiculous…well what exactly would you call it when a friend who just so happens to be the Head of the Auror Department takes an indefinite leave of absence so that he can be on hand to make you your favorite meals and pick up the post."

"That's Harry and that silly saving people complex he has. He feels guilty over my having been hurt in the first place."

"Oh its guilt is it. And was it guilt when he stepped in after every row you and dad had to sort things out. Was it guilt when he took on the part of being a surrogate dad to Hugh and me after you and dad got divorced. Is it guilt that makes him smile when hears your name. And is it guilt that makes him stare after you like you're the beginning and ending of all things where he's concerned."

Hermione stared after Rose in complete shock as she continued on.

"When you got hurt he threatened to flatten Terry Boot on account of his keeping him from being near you. And Merlin only knows what he did to that Camwood once he got hold of him. He's in love with you, I know he is. And if you need more proof than that consider the fact that Caleb wouldn't be here if it weren't for Harry."

At those words Hermione sat up ramrod straight in her seat. Peering across the table at Rose she gasped out.

"You know…how long…"

Rose responded before her mother could form a complete sentence.

"I sussed it out when you were in hospital."

Rose nodded towards her sleeping son cradled in her mother's arms.

"Can't stand the Potter men round Caleb and not notice the resemblance."

Hermione opened her mouth to explain but Rose held up a hand to silence her.

"You don't have to explain anything, dad already did that. I'm not angry or upset. I'm really not. It's been such a relief finally knowing why I've always felt so drawn to `uncle' Harry. Growing up I could never understand why I felt so safe whenever he hugged me…now I know and it's the most wonderful thing getting to know him and finally understanding the parts of me that could never be explained away as a trait from you or from Ron. And it's been in that getting to know him that I've learned how much my father truly loves you."

Rose paused for a brief second and smiled.

"I know I'm a bit old to be wishing for a picture perfect family with a mum and a dad…and in this case five fully grown children…but when Ted and I got together and I was worrying about how it would look to everyone you told me that the only thing that mattered was that I loved him and he loved me. You said that everything outside of that fact was irrelevant."

Mother and daughter stared at each other in silence for several minutes before Hermione stood to her feet. She covered the distance separating her from her daughter in three dainty steps. She gently placed Caleb in his mother's arm. Brushing a kiss across Rose's forehead Hermione grabbed her things and disapparated with a crackle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione Granger apparated into the foyer of number twelve Grimmauld Place. She stood there quietly for a few seconds before heading down the hallway to the below stairs kitchen. She pushed open the door and found Harry standing at the kitchen counter piling crisps onto a plate alongside a turkey and ham sandwich. Feeling the presence of another in the room Harry turned around and found Hermione standing in the doorway.

"Hermione what brings you…"

Harry's words were cut off as Hermione strode across the room and framing his face in her hands Hermione drew Harry's mouth to hers and kissed him fervently. It took about two seconds for Harry to realize what was happening and return Hermione's kiss. Slowly and breathlessly the pair drew apart. Harry stared at Hermione in disbelief. Breathing deeply he asked.

"Hermione…what…"

Hermione laid a finger against Harry's lips to shush him.

"Harry I'm in love with you, have been for ages and right now in this moment it doesn't matter how or when it happened all that matters is that it's true and it's real. And I need to know if you feel the same."

Harry lovingly cupped Hermione's cheeks in his palms and replied passionately.

"I love you too."

With that said Harry drew Hermione to him and proceeded to kiss her again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Albus and James Potter arrived at number twelve Grimmauld Place a bit past one. They had it in mind to invite their father out for a pint at their favorite pub. They reached the doors to the below stairs kitchen and pushed them open. They had expected to find their father having a bit of lunch, thus, they were quite surprised to find him in the throes of a quite ardent embrace with their aunt Hermione. Al quietly eased the door shut. With a rakish grin marring his face he turned to his brother and said.

"I don't reckon dad would be much interested in the pub, eh."

James nodded in agreement.

"No Al I don't think he would be much inclined to forego his current activities for a trip to the pub just now."

Grinning madly the two young men turned and headed back up the hall they had come down just seconds before. As they walked James wondered aloud.

"I don't reckon it'd be proper to call her auntie Hermione anymore would it."

Al burst into laughter. And clapping his brother on the back replied by saying.

"No…wouldn't be proper at all."

James joined in with his brother's laughter and the pair disapparated with two thunderous cracks.

A/N: Well there it is…what do you think?

-->