Unofficial Portkey Archive

One by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

One

Konflickted

Disc.: Empty pockets, no rights.

Four Years Prior

Harry looked up from his desk as Hermione and Ron stood in the doorway of his office. Harry looked up, brushing his hair out of his face. He grinned, letting the pen drop from his hand. He pushed back from his desk, grabbed his jack off the back of his chair, and headed out the office. He locked the door and joined the others queuing for the elevator. Ginny grinned at him as she joined them in a hurry, Luna and Neville rushing to join the rest on the elevator.

"I can't believe you're actually joining us for a change, Harry," teased Hermione as the doors closed them in and the group headed down to the parking lot.

"Hey, I come with you guys sometimes," Harry defended laughing as he pulled his jacket on around him. "I've just been busy."

"Too busy to call his dear old mum, too," Ron piped up from the back of the group.

"I'm not," Harry defended.

"Your mum left like six messages," Ron said as he pushed forward to the front of the crowd. "You've not called her back. I'd never do that to my mum."

"That's because your mum would show up on your doorstep with an army in her pocket," Harry laughed. The other's laughed.

"That she would," Ron said as the doors parted and the group exited the elevator door opened. The group exited the elevator and the building, standing on the curb.

"So, where are we headed?" Harry asked.

"Drunken Lizard Pub!" Ron cheered. Harry looked at him quizzically.

"A muggle pub?" Harry inquired.

"Ron has a thing for the bartender there," Ginny teased.

"A girl," Ron interjected quickly. His face turned red, straight to his ears. "And I don't have a thing for her." The others laughed and started down the street.

The Drunken Lizard was a quaint little pub with squat, square tables, dim lighting, and terrible music. Harry couldn't understand why Ron would frequent a place like that in any form, but yet there they were, crowded around a too small table while pitcher after pitcher of cheap brew was drunk. Ron grabbed Harry's shirt and pulled the boy close, his breath reeking of some hard liquor he had been doing shots of. Ron pointed to the bartender.

"That's her, mate," Ron practically screamed. Harry looked at the girl and nodded. The girl looked too young to be anywhere near a place like this, much less be behind the counter serving up drinks. She had light, wispy hair that was pulled up and clipped. Even from across the room, Harry could see that she had intense blue eyes.

"What's her name?" Harry asked him. Ron turned a little red.

"Dunno," Ron said. "Never been able to get the nerve to talk to her. I get all sweaty and mumbled."

"You want me to?" Harry offered. Ron grinned, his drunken smile a bit lopsided.

"Could you, mate? I've been dying to put a name to the face," Ron said. Harry nodded and pulled away from Ron, assuring that Ron was perched safely on his stool with the others. Harry walked confidently towards the bar and sat down at the end of it, away from the others who were milling up to it to refresh drinks and to start new orders.

"What's your poison, son?" A man asked as he stopped in front of Harry. Harry glanced up at the muscle bound fellow in front of him and hesitated.

"Actually, I was hoping she could serve me," Harry said. The man looked at Harry suspiciously.

"What business do you have with Addy?" The man asked.

"None," Harry said simply as he dropped his gaze from the man. The man paused.

"Hey, Addy, this man wants a word with you," the man said as he continued down the path away from the spot where Harry was sitting.

"Can I help you, sir?" She asked, drawing Harry's attention from the spot he was gazing at to her face. Up close, he could see why Ron was so smitten with her.

"You're not from around here," Harry said stupidly for a second.

"It's the accent, isn't it?" Addy asked as she looked at Harry expectantly. Harry nodded.

"I'm Harry," he said extending his hand to her. She hesitated before shaking it.

"Addison," she replied. "So, Harry. What can I get for you today?"

"Um, well. My friends are all doing shots and beer, but I was thinking a little something more non-alcoholic," Harry said quickly as he dropped her hand. She smiled at his sudden discomfort.

"Perhaps then a straight cola with a bit of soda water to lighten it up? It fools them every time," Addy offered. She quickly prepared it and handed it to Harry. He placed the money on the counter.

"Keep the change," Harry said grinning and he headed back to his large group of friends.

Ron was beside himself with the knowledge of her name, and begged Harry to remind him of it in the morning. Just in case. Harry nodded, promising, and the crew continued their night until last call at three. By then, Ron was barely able to stand on his feet, but he was hell bent on going home with Luna. She was better off, even if her odd giggles seemed to pierce the night. The group stood outside of the closed pub waiting for the cab to come.

"Want me to walk home with you?" Neville asked reluctantly as Ginny kept edging closer. Harry shook his head.

"Nah, I'll be fine. The flats' only a few blocks," Harry said. Neville looked relieved and he climbed into the cab behind Ginny. Hermione grinned and waved good bye at Harry as she climbed into the second cab they hailed. Harry waited until the cars disappeared before making the long walk home. To his dismay, it began to sprinkle.

"Where are your friends, Harry?" a voice asked him as the person fell into step beside him. Harry looked to see Addy walking next to him.

"They all took cabs to the other side of town," Harry said. Addy nodded as the sky opened up around them, threatening to drown them. Addy took Harry by the hand and ran down the street, pulling him into the small door way of the first building they came to. It was a tight fit, the two crammed together among the crazy planters and the call buttons.

"Come up for some coffee until the rain stops," Addy said as she unlocked the door and lead him inside the building. Seven flights of stairs later, they were standing in front of her door as she fiddled with the lock.

"Problem?" Harry asked curiously. Addy made a face.

"It always gets stuck and I swear the super here is useless," Addy said as she frowned at the key. "I'll be right back as soon as I fetch a can of oil."

"It's open," Harry said as he pushed the door open. Addy turned to look at him at the door, surprised. Shrugging she headed back to the door, unaware of Harry placing something back into his jacket pocket.

"Amazing, I must say," Addy said. "That thing never opens."

"Skilled hands," Harry said sheepishly as he peeled off his wet jacket. She brought him a stack of clothes.

"Don't worry," Addy said grinning. "My brother won't need these back."

"You have a brother?" Harry asked. Addy shook her head.

"Had a brother, about two years ago he married some strange girl and they practically disappeared. It was odd," Addy said shrugging. "At least he's happy."

"So, do you have a boyfriend?" Harry asked as he headed into the bedroom she pointed at for him to change in.

"If I did, would it matter?" Addy asked as she stepped into the doorway. She had a look in her eyes, and Harry was by far a stupid man.

"My friend, Ron, really likes you," Harry blurted out as Addy slowly unbuttoned her shirt.

"The ginger boy? He's cute enough," Addy said though she did not cease her activities. Harry hesitated before throwing caution into the wind. After all he had been through, and how long it had been since he had been with a woman, he could afford to throw caution to the wind for just one night.

The next morning, he awoke alone in her bed. Beside his glasses was a note from her, stating that she had a great time and that she'd call him. His clothes were dried and hung at the foot of the bed. He was to let himself out. Just like that, Harry had his first one night stand.

-->