Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Whole Bunch of Stories by tastethekiss
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Whole Bunch of Stories

tastethekiss

Author's Note: In my story Gryffindor Colors, it was written that Lily spilled her heart to James. Well, A Whole Bunch of Stories (no, no better name than that) is the background to what Lily tells James and all are set to lyrics from Disney songs.

--------------------

"There's a time for everyone,
If they only learn,
That the twisting kaleidoscope,
Moves us all in turn."
-Can You Feel the Love Tonight
The Lion King

"Lily, James!"

Mrs. Evans ran toward the couple, enveloping them in a tight embrace. Mr. Evans stood further back, surveying the scene and making eye contact with James. The two nodded at each other and Mr. Evans then headed to the kitchen, presumably to prepare tea.

Just with that, James knew luck was on his and Lily's side.

"Come to the kitchen," Mrs. Evans said, leading them through the house. James tried not to gawk or stare, but could not hide his astonishment at how... muggle the entire area was.

Lily herself was moving slowly, inspecting her childhood home for changes.

"The picture frames are different," she announced as she entered the kitchen, greeting her father with a hug.

Mr. Evans laughed. "You don't forget anything, do you?"

"Maybe I just remember everything."

"No, I'm sure it's the opposite," James remarked from his seat. "Or else I wouldn't have wound up on the sofa so many times."

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Maybe I won't forget that comment either."

The group laughed.

"Oh, Mummy, is Tuny here?"

Mrs. Evans froze and slowly lowered her tea cup. "No," she managed. "No, Petunia hasn't visited often lately."

Lily's face fell.

"She mentioned she might stop by," Mr. Evans added, uncertainly. No one looked at anyone else. They - James included - knew Petunia would not stop by.

Lily sighed. She had hoped Petunia's condition had improved over the course of the weeks, but Lily supposed the loss of a child was hard to recover from, especially a second time.

"I guess it's better she's not here," Lily said, glancing at James. "There's something we have to tell you," she said as James took her hand.

Her parents looked a them expectantly.

"I'm pregnant." It sounded almost like a question when she said it, and James wished she did not have such an uncertainty about it. He repeatedly told her that her parents would be happy for them, but Lily still wondered. After Petunia's situation, she reasoned, how could they possibly be excited?

Mr. Evans jumped from his chair and grabbed his daughter. "Oh, Love!" he cried, holding her close. He began to whisper in Lily's ear and she nodded. From her deep breathing, James guessed she was crying, as was Mrs. Evans who got up to hug him after their eyes met.

"This is amazing news," Mrs. Evans said, staring into his eyes. But even as she said the words, James could sense a bit of melancholy. In memory of Petunia's child, in upset because the eldest daughter did not have the first child, James wasn't sure.

It was over, though, as Lily stepped away from her father. She and her mum began to discuss baby needs as the group moved into the sitting room.

--

"Mum? Dad?"

The laughing foursome paused as the Evans' eldest daughter entered the room. "Oh, there you are. I was... wondering.."

She trailed off at the site of her sister. Petunia's eyes then moved to Lily's husband. "Oh... I... I wasn't aware you had company."

Lily jumped up from the couch. All eyes trained on her and she had not a clue what she was doing. Petunia's face was stoic. She was so trained in society living, Lily couldn't help but notice. Petunia felt deeply, but she had succeeded in blocking it out.

Blocking too much out.

"James and I..." Lily paused, glancing at her husband, who shrugged. For once, he had no words. "We just stopped by to visit. We had... we'd hoped you would... visit."

Slowly Lily lowered herself back onto the sofa.

Mr. Evans cleared his throat. "Your sister just had some important information to tell us."

"Oh?"

Lily couldn't tell if Petunia was actually interested or if she really didn't care.

"Yes," Mr. Evans continued. "They just wanted to say--"

"I'm having a baby."

Petunia's head snapped up and her composure was gone. Eyes wide, her face drained of color, she looked at Lily before she shakily stood up and left the room.

Lily stared at the door after Petunia disappeared from view. Lily didn't know why she had done it, why she had announced it like that. For some reason, Lily felt it was something she herself had to say. Lily had to own up to this.

"I think..." she began, but ran from the room instead of finishing.

Mrs. Evans sat back on the sofa after her daughters left and groaned. Mr. Evans leaned back and wrapped an arm around his wife. "I know."

--

"Petunia! Tuny!" Lily frantically ran around. Finally, she found her sister lying on the ground, staring up into the sky.

Lily slowly approached her. "Hey," she whispered, lowering herself to the ground.

Petunia didn't respond.

"Talk to me, Petty."

Petunia was silent. Then, suddenly, Lily heard it, barely loud enough to comprehend.

"It's not fair."

Lily stayed silent.

"You get a baby," Petunia continued, growing louder, bolder. "You never even wanted to be a mum. You wanted to be the Prime Minister, you wanted to be a princess, you wanted to be a doctor. You wanted to teach people or talk to people. But you never wanted to raise people."

Lily's eyes filled with tears, but she didn't say a word. She had a feeling this was something Petunia had been holding in for a long time, something that had to get out or she would burst.

"All I ever wanted was to be a mum. When we were younger, I watched you; I watched our cousins. I helped the neighbors and my friends when they became mothers. I helped everyone and watched all the people around me get pregnant."

Petunia was silent for a moment.

"And then I thought I was going to get my chance. A second chance. I was so happy." Her voice was cold, closed off. "It was all I ever wanted, Lily," she choked, her demeanor transforming in a split second. "I just wanted to be a mum and I knew I would be good at it too."

Lily sniffled. "You would have."

Petunia turned her head away. "And now you, who never even wanted to have a baby, you get a child while I'm left watching. Again."

"I'm sorry," Lily whispered, tears streaming down her face as she turned toward her sister.

"It's just not fair," Petunia repeated, her words faint.

Hesitantly, Lily reached her arm toward Petunia. When Petunia made no retreat, Lily pulled her into a hug and the two cried together. Their sobs mixed, their pain building and toppling to the ground.

"I'm so sorry, Tuny. One day it will be your turn, I promise. You'll have oodles of babies and they'll love their mummy and you'll be so happy."

Petunia said nothing, just continued to cry.

-->