Unofficial Portkey Archive

You're Still the One by husker_fan_2006
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

You're Still the One

husker_fan_2006

You're Still The One

Summary: Fifteen years following Harry and Hermione's wedding, their friends decide to throw them a party for their anniversary. Memories come to mind in both people, and they reflect back on the last
fifteen years. The summary sucks I know, but hopefully you'll like the story/songfic. It's a sequel to I Wish. To the song, `You're Still the One' by Shania Twain.

A/n: I was looking through some old files, and stumbled across this one, and thought, when I posted `I Wish' I promised a sequel and never followed through, so I found this, edited it a little, and here you go! It's pre-DH, so pretty much pre-OBHWF or at least to where it started to get really bad. It's also un-betaed, so there's bound to be mistakes. Hope you enjoy, you'll probably need to read `I Wish' first though!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When I first saw you, I saw love. And the first time you touched me, I felt love. And after all this time, you're still the one I love.

"You have to wear nice clothes tonight." Ginny Malfoy told her friends; the old married couple for fifteen years, Harry and Hermione.

"What's going on?" Hermione asked skeptically. "You said we're just going out for dinner, why do we need to dress up?"

Ginny shrugged. "We are going out for dinner."

"And why do we have to dress up?" Harry asked.

"Cuz' it's fun to dress up, Harry," Ginny said brightly.

"Something's up, I can feel it," Hermione said to her husband who nodded in agreement.

"I know, they're all lousy at being sneaky," he replied. Ginny got a sudden idea and her face lit up as she grinned.

"Hermione, you should wear that green dress."

"What green dress?"

"The one you haven't worn in fifteen years."

"What dress are you talking about?"

"That green one; that you wore when Harry was going to get married to what's-her-face. Remember?"

"Ginny, I don't even think I fit into that anymore."

"Why not?"

"You try having two kids and then fit into a dress that you wore fifteen years ago." Ginny looked at her friend in disbelief.

"Are you a witch or are you not, Mrs. Potter? Did you or did you not graduate at the top of your class?" Hermione sighed and gave in.

"Fine. But I still don't understand why I have to dress up so much for a simple dinner," Hermione was muttering under her breath as she went searching in her closet for the dress. Ginny turned to the raven-haired man sitting on his bed.

"Alright, Harry, do you have like a muggle suit or anything?"

"Where are we going that we need to wear suits and fancy dresses and stuff?"

"Just don't worry about it. Curiosity killed the cat. You'll find out soon." Harry gave her an annoyed look.

"Yes, I have a suit, and it's black. Anything else?" Ginny shook her head and grinned again.

"Will you lighten up? It's your anniversary today, be happy! Go get dressed." Harry opened his mouth to say something, but Ginny stopped him by putting a finger over his lips. "Stop worrying, you're in good hands." Harry rolled his eyes and reached in the closet and grabbed his suit and tie and went to go change. Hermione walked out of the closet the dress in hand. She flicked her wand and the dress was on her body, the clothes she was wearing before folded neatly on the bed. Ginny smiled.

"It looks like you didn't need to alter it much, Hermione."

"A little. It's a little snug around the middle." Ginny helped Hermione do her hair, putting it in curls and combs. After finishing with her make up, Ginny smiled and looked at Hermione's reflection in the mirror.

"You look fifteen years younger, Hermione." Hermione smiled.

"Now if only I knew what I was looking fifteen years younger for…"

"Sorry, can't tell you that, it's a surprise. C'mon, let's go show you off to your husband. He'll be speechless." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Yeah right. Harry has seen me every day for fifteen years, Ginny. I think after so long you stop being able to render your husband speechless."

"Yeah, but this dress works wonders, remember? You never know. What, are you saying your marriage has lost its spark? Are you two unhappy?"

"No. The spark is still there, it's just…dull. Very, very dull."

-------------

Harry was sitting in the living room staring off into space, thinking of his anniversary and the fifteen years he spent with his wife. He remembered vividly that night of his first wedding where he singlehandedly broke his ex-fiancé's heart, and how afterwards he had asked Hermione to marry him. He laughed to himself at the memory of how impulsive he used to be, and how impulsive Hermione was too, for she had said yes right away. Things had moved fast for them, they were married six months later, and about seven months later their family had grown from two to four, when Hermione gave birth to twins, Aurora and Christian. After a few years, the novelty of a new marriage and new children had worn off, and the real world started to settle in, and the two began to drift apart. He still loved his wife, and wouldn't considering leaving for a second if he had a chance, but things had gotten dull. Life together had lost its spontaneity, and practicality and sensibleness had settled in.

Harry was brought out of his reverie when he heard someone come down the stairs. He looked up and saw his son brushing off something from his shoulder while he was walking down the stairs. Christian was dressed in a black suit, a lot like the one his dad was wearing. His messy hair that he inherited from his father, stuck up in all directions, and his bright green eyes surveyed his suit for any other particle that needed to be brushed off. Harry couldn't believe sometimes that his kids were fourteen already. In three years they both would be out of Hogwarts and off on their own. It was one thing no one ever told Harry about having kids; you'll never believe how fast they grow. Christian looked up at his dad and smiled.

"You ready to go?"

"Yep."

"Ok, that makes two of us. Mum and Ginny are still fixing Mum's hair and stuff, and Aurora's taking forever as usual."

"Shut up, Christian, I'm ready," Aurora said from the top of the stairs. Harry smiled as his daughter came down the stairs, glaring at her brother. She was dressed in a dark red dress that had off the shoulder sleeves, and was form fitting to the waist before it flared out, making a little bell shape. She, like her brother, had inherited her father's hair, but it wasn't messy and uncontrollable like Harry's and Christian's was. Aurora's hair was half held back by little fancy combs, all in curls, the rest of her mid-back length hair fell in curls down her back and around her shoulders. Aurora looked so much like her mother, and her personality was a lot like Hermione's too. She loved to read, was the top of the class, but, along with Christian, took after their grandpa Potter and his three best friends when they were in school. Hermione often commented that their house was a second home for the school owls because they were there so often carrying letters telling of the latest crimes the twins had committed. Aurora stopped on the step above where her brother was standing and still glared at him. She said, "And I do not take forever getting ready."

"Yes you do."

"No, I do not."

"Yes you do." Aurora opened her mouth to reply, but stopped herself and closed it. Christian smirked.

"See, I win."

"You did not win because you're that good, Christian James Potter, you won because I was the bigger person and let you win. I don't want to argue with you tonight." Christian gave his sister a cheeky grin.

"Either way, I still won."

Aurora rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Dad, why couldn't I have been an only child?" she asked her father.

Harry laughed. "That's just the way it worked out I guess." Aurora looked at her brother who grinned and shrugged, and she rolled her eyes again.

"You clean up pretty well Dad, you look nice."

"Well thank you. You two both look nice too. Do you know anything about this thing going on tonight? Like where we're going?" Harry questioned his daughter. Aurora shrugged and smiled mischievously .

"Not a thing." Harry turned to his son.

"How about you?"

"Nope," Christian said, with the same look on his face as his sister. Harry knew he was being lied to, but decided to give it a rest. He'd find out sooner or later.

-----------------

Hermione refused to give up. She was still asking questions of Ginny, trying to get some answers out of her, but to no avail. Ginny refused to give anything up.

"Hermione, why don't you just drop it, and trust us? We're taking you and Harry somewhere nice for your fifteenth wedding anniversary. That's all I'm going to let you know, so stop pestering me about it. Alright; there, you're all pretty for the night. Ready?" Hermione nodded and stood. Ginny held the door open and followed Hermione out of the room. Hermione stood at the top of the stairs, and looked down and smiled when she saw Aurora and Christian all dressed up. She started down the stairs and Aurora and Christian's faces lit up with their smiles. Harry turned to see what they were looking at, and his jaw dropped slightly. He stared at her as she slowly made her way down the stairs. He hadn't seen her wear that dress in over fifteen years, and he thought she looked just as beautiful as the day she last wore it. Aurora and Christian grinned as they noticed the look on their dad's face as their mother walked down the stairs. Aurora nodded to Christian and they exited the room quietly as Hermione reached the bottom of the stairs. Hermione held her arms out and smiled.

"Well," She spun around, the skirt fluttering out a little, "what do you think?"

"You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." Hermione's cheeks went a little pink.

"Ok, you don't have to lie to me, Harry."

"I'm not. You're beautiful, and I'm the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to you. And I know I don't say it enough."

"It's alright. I know that you love me. And you know that I love you, even if we don't say it very much anymore." Harry smiled and leaned in and gave his wife a kiss.

"Happy anniversary, love."

"Happy anniversary." They kissed again.

"Well, should we go and see what Ginny has planned for us tonight?"

"Yep. Let's go." Harry offered his wife his arm, and she linked hers with it. They walked arm in arm to the door, where Aurora and Christian were holding black material in their hands.

"Ginny left already, and we're supposed to put these blindfolds on you," Aurora said, holding up the material.

"Why?"

"This way, you don't know where we're going." Hermione sighed as her daughter tied the blindfold over her eyes and tugged it into place, making sure it wasn't possible for her to see.

"Come on, you two, it's bad enough that we don't know where we're going, and now you're going to blindfold us too?"

"Yep. It'd give it away when we got there." Aurora then took her mother's hand and led her over to the door, and Christian did the same to his blindfolded father.

"Ok, Mum, Dad, take hold of this portkey," Aurora said, and grabbed her mother's hand and placed it on the portkey. Harry and Hermione heard Christian counting down on his watch,

"Five…four…three…two…one…" They all felt a jerk behind their navels and were transported across the countryside to where they were headed. Once they got there, Aurora and Christian removed the blindfolds and both their jaws dropped. The room was filled with people, who all yelled `Surprise!' when the gift of sight was given back to the married couple. The members of their wedding party were in the same clothes they were in at their wedding. Husband and wife were told to sit down at the table at the front of the room. Ginny stood in front of them, with the attention of the entire room. She smiled.

"Mr. and Mrs. Harry Potter, welcome to the recreation of your wedding reception for the purpose of your fifteenth wedding anniversary, thanks to the brilliant minds of your fourteen year old son and daughter. Almost every single witch, wizard, muggle, etc. who was at your wedding fifteen years ago is here tonight. There are more though, as most of us have had children, including yourselves. As you can see, your wedding party is here, in the same clothes that we wore for your wedding. Amazingly, they still fit without a lot of altering. So, if memory serves me right, I believe you two started your wedding reception with the first dance. Hence, it seems fitting that you do so tonight." A song that fit perfectly for an anniversary, `You're Still the One' started up, and Harry stood up, took his wife's hand and led her out to the dance floor. They danced, and while they danced, memories of the past fifteen years went through their minds.


Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

"I'm not getting up."

"Yes you are."

"Leave me alone, I want to sit here and feel depressed because I'm fat." Harry rolled his eyes and gave an exasperated sigh. I really tended to frustrate him during the time I was carrying his son and daughter.

"For the last time, Hermione, you're not fat. You're pregnant."

"And it's all your fault." Harry laughed shortly, like he was saying, `I'm not falling for that one.' That was always a weak point to argue with him.

"It's not all my fault, Hermione, you were there too. And I don't remember you protesting too much at the time." I gave up on that argument and returned to being stubborn.

"I'm not getting up from this chair. I'm not going, I don't want to."

"Yes, you are. Ginny and Draco invited us, you told Ginny we'd be there last week. You can't back out now." Ginny had invited us to dinner, ever since she herself had become pregnant, she had been wanting to cook all the time, and was always wanting to have people come visit and try her new concoctions. A pregnant Ginny was not fun to be around, especially when you're pregnant too. It wasn't all about refusing to go to Ginny and Draco's, it was partly about just creating an argument with Harry. Because when you're still newlyweds, you pick a fight just so you can make up later.

"Yes, I can. I don't want to go."

"Then why'd you tell her we'd come over?"

"You try and tell her `no' sometimes. It doesn't work, it's like the word doesn't have any meaning to her, and she won't quit until you say yes."

"Well, either way, you promised, so you're going."

"No, I'm not."

"You're getting up from that chair if I have to personally drag you from it myself." I noticed the hint of humor in his eyes, and I looked at him with mock stubbornness on my face, grabbed the sides of the chair, my wedding ring clicking on the wood.

"Do your worst." I grinned at him, taunting him, stuck my tongue out at him and said mockingly, "And just how do you expect me to get up?"

"I'll tickle you." The grin fell from my face instantly.

"You wouldn't."

With an evil grin on his face, he said, "Oh, I would. You know I would." Being very ticklish, being threatened to be tickled was just about as bad as being threatened to be killed. I shot up from the chair.

"Ok, I'm up." He grinned. I love that grin, though sometimes I hate it, especially when it surfaces at times like these.


They said, "I bet they'll never make it."
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong.

"Ah, look, it's Potty and his Mudblood." I looked over at Hermione and saw her roll her eyes. All we wanted was a quiet time in Diagon Ally, and thanks to meeting Pansy Parkinson, that hope was shattered.

"You know, we all have bets going on how long this marriage of yours is going to last. The longest is a week." I stopped and slowly turned to face Pansy.

"Well, let them bet. My money's down for eternity."

"I heard the only reason why you two got married was because the Mudblood was knocked up, is it true?"

"Funny, I don't see your husband around Pansy. Oh that's right, there is no husband."

"Shut it, Potter."

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you," I said sarcastically. Pansy glared at me.

"If I were you, I wouldn't be so sure of myself as you are. Mark my words, Potter, you'll be a single man again soon; your marriage'll never last. And if it does, which would be a surprise to many, you both will meet the same end as the preceding Potters." Hermione turned around, with such calm on her face, the kind of calm I could never achieve when people were provoking me.

"What are you trying to start?"

"I'm not trying to start anything, Mudblood, just stating facts."

"Then let me stat some facts, Pansy, you would be the one who would be so unlikely to take a husband, because one, you're a terrible, mean-spirited person, two, you're arrogant, and three, no man in his right mind would touch you, even with a ten foot pole." Anger crossed Pansy's face and she pointed at Hermione.

"You wait, you'll be eating those words soon when you've met the same end as your in-laws." She turned and left. I wrapped an arm around my wife and we continued walking.

"Bloody brilliant, Hermione," I said to her, planting a kiss on her temple. "You're so much better at this than me."

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

"Harry, please stop pacing, it'll be fine. She'll be fine." I stopped pacing and looked at Ron and snapped,

"How do you know? How do you know everything'll turn out all right?"

"Ok, I don't know for sure, Harry, and will you please stop biting everyone's head off when they speak? I know you're nervous, but that's no reason to yell at your friends." I sat down and sighed, running a hand through my hair nervously.

"I'm sorry."

"Well, think of it this way, the birth is the easy part, you've got seventeen years of stress coming your way. Double stress actually, since you're getting twins."

"Is that your way of making him feel better, Ron? Cuz' I don't think that'll work." Luna said. Ron grinned at his wife.

"You think you can do better?"

"Yes, I do."

"Really? What makes you think that?"

"Because I am more sensitive than you." Ron motioned to me for Luna to try.

"Be my guest." Luna traded seats with Ron and sat next to me. I was staring at the floor, not willing to look at her, but I listened as she said one of the most normal and comforting things I had ever heard her say.

"Harry, Ron's right, it will be stressful, but in the same way, you'll love every minute of it. For the next seventeen years you get to raise them in whatever weird way you see fit." I laughed, and so did she.

"You're about to have two people in your life that are a part of you and the woman you love. And you get to help raise them, and watch them grow. I know you'll do a good job."

"How can you think that? I don't have any example to follow. I never knew my dad."

"Parenting is something that's already part of your personality. You already know what you need to know, and what you don't know, you'll learn from experience. You're good with people, with children, so you'll be a good father." I finally looked at Luna and smiled.

"Thanks." She smiled and nodded a `you're welcome'.

"And Harry, all these doubts you're having, I almost guarantee are going to go away when you take your first look at them. These worries won't matter in a few minutes." Ron said, and Luna and I both looked at him, surprised that he said something helpful in a sensitive situation.

"Wow, Ron, I'm impressed that you came up with that," Luna said in awe. Ron shrugged sheepishly and grinned.

"Well, I was due." The three of us laughed. I stopped laughing when I heard someone call my name.

"Mr. Potter?"

I turned my head to the sound of the voice, and saw a nurse standing behind the chair I was sitting in. Her gaze was glued to my scar, and I broke her out of her trance by saying, "Yes?"

She took her eyes off of my scar and moved them down to my eyes.

"You're supposed to come with me. There are some people you get to meet." She smiled, as did Ron and Luna. I got up and followed her, to the room that I knew Hermione was in. She opened the door and stood aside for me to pass her.

"Go ahead and go in. I'll be right back with them." I went inside, and saw Hermione lying in bed, eyes closed, resting. I stood next to the bed and took her hand in mine. Her eyes flew open and she looked at me and smiled brightly.

"Hey," she said softly.

"Hey. How're you feeling?" Hermione sighed tiredly.

"Exhausted." I smiled, and gave her a kiss.

"Harry, wait till you see them. They're beautiful." The door opened and the nurse came back with a bundle with a blue blanket in one arm and a bundle with a pink blanket in the other. She handed the pink bundle to me, and the blue one to Hermione. I looked at my daughter, seeing she looked exactly like her mother. I looked over at my son, and saw he looked exactly like his father. Hermione slid over to make room for me to sit down. I took a seat next to my wife, and we sat there admiring our children.

"Aren't they beautiful?" Hermione said, sounding like she might cry.

"They're the most beautiful things I've ever seen in all my life. Apart from you, that is." I said, planting a kiss on her head. Ron was right, when I first saw my son and daughter, all worries of being a bad father flew out of my mind, and were replaced with thoughts of love towards them and the woman who shared them with me.

"I didn't know anyone could love someone so much that they just met."

"I know. I guess this is where the phrase `love at first sight' came from. What shall we name them?"

"I don't know, what would you suggest?" She looked at our daughter.

"How about we name her Aurora?"

"Aurora? Where'd that name come from?"

"I read it in a story a long time ago and kind of fell in love with it. Do you like it?" I looked at the baby girl, trying the name out in my mind. Finally, I nodded.

"I think it fits her. She needs a middle name though."

"You pick one."

"Aurora…Elizabeth. That was my mother's middle name."

"Aurora Elizabeth Potter. I like it. And how about this little guy over here? You get to pick the first name this time." I looked at our son and thought for a little bit. Suddenly, a name came to me that like the name Aurora, it was a name also found in a book.

"Well, since the name Aurora came from a book, how about the same for his? You might not like it, but it's just an idea."

"What is it?"

"Christian."

"Christian…hmm, I think I like it. Christian…James Potter."

"Christian James Potter?"

"Mmm hmm, I think James is a good middle name."

"Alright, Aurora Elizabeth and Christian James Potter. I like it."

"Me too." Aurora opened her eyes and bright green eyes identical to mine took in her surroundings. Christian, like his sister, opened his eyes up too, and looked around. When I saw his eye color, I knew my speculations on what color his eyes would be were correct. As soon as I saw Aurora's eyes, I figured that Christian's would be the same color as Hermione's. I was wrong. They were just as green as his sister's. Later, Ron and Luna came in to see their godchildren. Soon, it was just the four of us again. I looked at my wife, my children and thought; life just doesn't get any better.


Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'

"Ok, hands clean?" Three-year-old Aurora showed me her hands.

"Yep."

"Ok, let's stick our hands in and mix up this dough." We were making Christmas cookies, something I loved doing with my mother as a little girl. We stuck our hands in the dough, mixing in the chocolate chips with our hands. The chips could've been mixed in with a spoon, but let's face it, sticking your hands in is so much more fun. Aurora's bright green eyes were filled with laughter as she squeezed the dough between her fingers. The girl was covered from head to toe in flour, something I wasn't sure of how she accomplished. After mixing dough for a while, the door opened and the love of my life, my husband, came in the door, with the number two man in my life, Aurora's twin, Christian, following close behind.

As soon as Aurora saw her father she yelled, "Daddy!" She ran to him and he scooped her up in his arms. Harry smiled.

"Mmm, you smell like cookies." Naturally, Harry was wearing dark clothes so the flour on Aurora rubbed off on him and he had flour on the front of his robes. He looked at the state of his robes and said teasingly, "You've gotten me all floury, Rory." Aurora giggled.

"Sorry." Christian had taken Aurora's chair by the dough and was going to stick his hand in the dough to taste it. Aurora screeched, right in her dad's ear, making Harry jerk his head back away from her, surprised by the sudden noise.

"Christian! Get your dirty hands out of the cookies!"

"They're not dirty." Aurora squirmed so Harry would let her down and once he did, she ran over and roughly jerked her brother's hands out of the dough.

"You have to wash your hands!"

"They're not dirty!"

"Yes they are, you have to wash your hands before you touch food with them!"

"Do not!'

"Do too!"

"Don't!"

"Do!"

"Don't!"

"Do!"

"Don't!"

"Do!"

"That's enough you two," I said, stopping the argument. Of course, Christian, always having to get the last word in…

"Don't." Aurora opened her mouth to argue, but I looked at them both sternly.

"Stop it." Christian finally gave in and went to the bathroom to wash his hands. Harry came over and stood by me. I looked at his navy blue robes speckled with flour and laughed, brushing him off. Harry grinned.

"You think this is funny, me covered in flour?" He said, trying to sound defensive. I didn't answer, just tried to keep a laugh from coming out of my mouth. He grabbed my wrist and grabbed a handful of flour in his other hand, still grinning.

"You think it's funny?"

"You wouldn't dare." He flung the flour at me, and I screamed. I spit flour out of my mouth and glared at him.

"Oh, you didn't." I reached for a handful to get him back with, and flung it at him. He had started a war. We were flinging flour at each other, being watched by our children, when Aurora innocently threw a handful of flour at her brother, who wouldn't take that lying down and flung flour at her. After using up most of the flour, we stopped our wars. Harry tried to brush the flour off of my face, but it was useless, as his hands were covered with flour. He laughed and tilted my head up with his hand underneath my chin and we kissed a very floury kiss. Aurora and Christian watched us, making grossed out faces, and went back to mixing the dough. I looked at my children and my husband and think how much I would've missed if Harry had married Danielle.

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

"Oh my God, Harry!" I turned and was surprised to see my ex-fiancé running towards me. Danielle reached me and engulfed me in a hug. I politely hugged her back, but not taking my eyes off of Hermione, who was standing there with an unreadable look on her face.

"So, how have you been?" Danielle said, keeping her hand on my arm.

"Been fine."

"That's good, so how have things been going with you, with your job, and such? I read about you every once in a while for catching dark wizards."

"Yeah, things at work are going good. Well, as good as they can for an Auror." Danielle nodded.

"Good." Hermione cleared her throat so I wouldn't forget her.

"Oh, Danielle you remember…" I had gone temporarily blank, I couldn't think of her name. I guess it was from nervousness with my ex-fiancé meeting with my wife again. Hermione sighed and gave me a hurt look.

"Hermione." She stuck her hand out for Danielle to shake.

"Oh, right. I remember you. You remember me, right?"

"Of course." Hermione said, trying to sound polite, but the coldness was evident in her voice.

"So, what are you up to now, Hermione?"

"Nothing much, just busy with Auror business and Aurora and Christian."

"Aurora and Christian?"

Deciding I should say something to show that I hadn't forgotten everything as soon as I saw Danielle, I said, "Our children. They're going to be seven."

"Oh! How sweet. Twins?" I nodded.

"Well congratulations."

"Thank you."

"Are you married?" Danielle said, looking from Hermione to me.

"Of course," Hermione said, the coldness more evident.

"I'm just wondering, I didn't know." It was an awkward silence.

"So, how are things with you, like marriage and stuff?" I said, trying to kill the awkward silence.

"Well, I'm not married, nor have any kids, but I'm just busy with work right now so I don't worry too much about it." I nodded conversationally, and another awkward silence followed. Then Danielle said something that should've put all thoughts that Hermione had that I still had feelings for Danielle out of her head.

"You know, Harry, when you and I broke up, I figured that you'd probably end up with Hermione. But, no offense, I didn't think it'd last long though. How long have you been married?"

"Seven years."

And if that wasn't enough, she went on, "And your kids are seven right?"

"Right."

"Just out of curiosity, are they the reason why you're married?"

"Of course not. For your information, Danielle, we got engaged the day you and I broke up. I proposed after I left you." I enjoyed the look of shock on her face and let it sink in of how fast I moved on from her. Deciding to leave the conversation, I said, "Well, we'd best be going anyways, it was good to see you again, Danielle."

"Yeah, goodbye, Harry. Hermione." We left, and apparated home. That night, Hermione kept me awake, although she didn't know it, by moving around next to me, not being able to sleep herself. Finally, I got tired of it, after seeing her turn from her back onto her side facing the wall.

"What's the matter, Hermione?"

"Oh, I didn't know you were still awake."

"You've been keeping me awake."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"What's the matter?" She turned over to her other side so she was facing me.

"I was thinking."

"Thinking. You've moved around so much because you were thinking?"

"No, more like worrying."

"About what?"

"You."

"What about me?" She sat up.

"Can you promise me something?" I sat up too, facing her.

"Anything."

"Promise you'll never leave me." I sighed and laid back down.

"Hermione…"

"I'm serious, Harry."

"Whatever gave you the idea that I would leave you?"

"Danielle."

"What makes you think that?"

"Today when we saw her, you were introducing me and couldn't even remember my name. Don't think I didn't notice, because I did, and it hurt, Harry. It seemed as though when you saw another woman you forgot that you were married and what your wife's name was." I sighed again, and beckoned her with my finger.

"Come here." She laid back down, and I pulled her close to me, wrapping my arms around her.

"You know that's not true. I would never leave you. I would rather die than cause you that kind of pain. I couldn't live without you. I don't love Danielle or any other woman, I love you, I always have, always will. She just…made me nervous." Hermione still wasn't convinced. I tried a different tactic.

"'Mione, you remember our wedding day, right? Seven years ago tomorrow?"

"Of course I do."

"You remember our vows? How I promised to stay with you in sickness and health, for richer and poorer, till death do us part?" I emphasized the last four words, hoping that would convince her. Luckily, it was enough to convince her.

"I took those very seriously, Hermione, I don't intend to break them."

"I'm sorry to think you ever would."

"I'll never leave you. You're stuck with me till the day we die." Hermione laughed and mock sighed.

"Well, I guess I'll just have to put up with you then."

"Yep, sorry, you're gonna have to." She sighed again, and we both laughed. And then to seal the statement I made, I leaned in and gave her a long deep kiss.

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

"Another letter from Hogwarts."

"What'd they do this time?"

"Hexing Slytherins again." I could tell Harry had a hard time keeping his smile from surfacing on his face. I knew that deep down he was proud of the way his children were such troublemakers.

"I knew I'd rue the day that Christian and Aurora met Remus. He's turning them into the next generation of Marauders." Again, Harry was seen in battle with the smile that tried to surface.

"Well, somebody has to do it; he's the only one left."

"That's not the point, Harry."

"Hermione, you can't keep them from causing trouble or breaking the rules. They're Potters, it's in their blood."

"I swear our house is practically a second home for the school owls, they spend most of their time here bringing letters from school telling us of all the mischief they cause."

"Are you going to send them a howler?" I thought about it, and then reached my decision.

"It won't do any good, they won't stop."

"And before you say that they seem to be following in the Marauders footsteps, or Fred and George's footsteps, you'll remember our rule breaking days."

"I didn't break any rules," I muttered, though I know I was lying. Harry laughed.

"Ok, Hermione," he said sarcastically.

"I didn't."

"Uh-huh, how about wandering around after hours to go visit Hagrid on many occasions? Or being part of the D.A., sneaking down to the kitchens, just to name a few?"

"Ok, ok."

"See, Christian and Aurora take after us."

"We weren't this bad."

"I know, that would be the work of Remus and Fred and George." Harry stood up.

"I'm going to bed, you coming?"

"I should take care of this. I have to do something about it; I can't just let them think we accept this type of behavior."

"Do it in the morning, before the post will arrive." I got up, leaving the letter on the table. We went upstairs, changed clothes and got into bed. Before turning off the light, Harry leaned over and gave me a kiss and whispered,

"Good night."


You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

The song ended and more began, but Harry and Hermione went around and mingled with their guests.

"Thank you for party," Hermione said to Ginny. Ginny smiled and shook her head.

"It wasn't my idea. It was Aurora and Christian's." Hermione looked over at her daughter and motioned for her to come so she could give her a hug. She kissed her forehead.

"Thank you, Rory."

"You're welcome." Aurora went to go find her brother, hopefully not doing what she figured he'd be doing, snogging his girlfriend, Julia. Thankfully, that's not where she found him. He was talking to Remus; Remus was telling him a story about when the Marauders were in school, Aurora and Christian's favorite topic for stories. Aurora joined in on listening to the story, and soon Hermione was over there, a suspicious look on her face.

"What are you doing?"

The three of them, trying to look innocent, said at the same time, "Nothing." She looked at them all suspiciously.

"I'd better not get any letters informing me of the trouble you two have caused."

"You won't," Aurora said.

"Yeah, we'll just do better not to get caught this time," Christian said. Hermione narrowed her eyes sternly at her son, who tried to look innocent. Hermione walked away, thinking about how Harry would handle this. He'd just let it go on. She didn't like it but hey, someone has to break the monotony of schoolwork sometimes. She found Harry again, and they went out onto the dance floor again. They danced and danced, happy for the fifteen years of happiness, joy, good times and bad times, but most of all, love. At the end of the song, they smiled and kissed a long kiss like the ones they shared when they were newlyweds. Even though they weren't newlyweds anymore, and life had fallen into a routine, they still loved each other, and would always love each other. The party went on long into the night, both Harry and Hermione glad to have made it this far, and ready to last for the rest of their lives.

I'm so glad we made it

Look how far we've come my baby.

THE END

A/N: Hope you liked my sequel to I Wish. I'm sorry it took so long to post it; I honestly had forgotten that I had mentioned a sequel. It was already written; I just needed to fix some things before posting. I haven't forgotten At the Beginning With You! It's still in the making! Anyways, hope you enjoyed!! Please review!!

Husker_fan_2006

-->