Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Perfect Life? by evilrubberducky
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Perfect Life?

evilrubberducky

A/N- this is a rewrite of a story I wrote a few years ago. The plan was to make it better and more readable, but alas I decided to have this be the response of my "How clichéd can you get?" challenge on HPFF. So beware.

Summary- Harry and Hermione lived the perfect life together until Harry became a workaholic and they started arguing a lot. Feeling fed up, Hermione leaves to be with her former boyfriend Viktor Krum. Harry willingly lets her go and starts dating Ginny Weasley. But what happens when Harry realizes he still loves Hermione? Will he get her back?

The Perfect Life?

Chapter One

Hermione Granger was sitting at her window, arms around her knees, watching the pouring rain outside and taking a sip of her tea now and then. With each drop landing on the window, Hermione felt sadder and ever more depressed. It was a lot like in the movies where when the character felt sad, it started to rain. Then again, Hermione Granger's life had been a lot like a movie lately, be it good or bad. The only thing was that usually after it rains in the movie, everything starts going okay again, and Hermione had a bad feeling that wouldn't be happening to her.

"What had gone wrong? Everything was going so perfectly. What on earth happened to make it change?" Hermione wondered out loud. The day had started off innocently enough. Hermione had gone downstairs to breakfast, only to find Harry sitting at the table, drinking coffee and reading the Daily Prophet. He smiled at her and said, "I made breakfast for you." in a way that would have made all his fan girls swoon. Not Hermione though, she just helped herself to some bacon and picked up a newspaper for herself. It felt almost like the old days, which is why when Harry checked his watch, sighed, and got up saying, "I have to go to work now. I should be late again. You don't have to wait for me to come home to eat dinner." Hermione put up a fuss.

"But you were gone all day yesterday, and the day before that, and basically everyday all day for a month!" she protested.

Thinking about it now, she realized she sounded like one of those over-needy clingy girlfriends, but if anyone deserved to act that way, it was Hermione. She didn't want to have a phantom boyfriend, no matter how much she loved him.

Hermione was continuing her pity party when the doorbell rang.

"Coming!" she shouted out of the window before rushing to clean her face so it wouldn't look like she had been crying only moments before. By the time she had leaped down the stairs and opened the door, she was panting. Her panting soon turned into a gasp, however, when she saw who was at the door.

"Victor! What are you doing here?"

"I vas in town and I thought I stop by. Can I come in?"

"Of course," Hermione said, regaining her sense of good manners and stepping aside so he could step out of the cold.

"I don't mean to bother you." Victor apologized.

"Oh, you aren't bothering me at all. I wasn't really doing anything." Hermione admitted.

"I vas vondering it you vould like to eat dinner vith me. As friends." He quickly added the last part when he saw that she looked she was about to refuse.

"I'd love to. Let me just put on some shoes." Hermione finally said after a moment's hesitation.

&&&

They arrived at a restaurant that Hermione had heard a lot about called Andy's, which was a wizard bar/restaurant with a touch of muggle influence. For instance, in the bar area there were several large TV's that was showing a Quidditch Match.

"Table or booth?" a waitress asked, grabbing two menus.

"Booth," Victor decided. Hermione was a bit put off (usually Harry asked her if it was okay with her in instances like this), but decided to go along with it. After all, she wanted a booth anyway.

"Right this way, please." The waitress (who had a nametag on her shirt that said Roxie) led them to a table near the back that was fairly quiet compared to everywhere else.

Once their orders had been placed (Victor got a salad and Hermione got ravioli) Hermione started the conversation.

"Are you still playing Quidditch?"

"Off and on. I try to find a new job and improve my English but I still play."

"That's probably a good idea. Quidditch isn't exactly a secure career," Hermione said, remembering all the times she had to watch Harry's Quidditch matches with her hands covering her eyes the majority of the time. She was glad Harry had chosen his career elsewhere, though the fact that he was never home was definitely a bad thing.

"Vat about you?" Krum asked.

"Hmm? Oh, you mean what I've been up to. Well, I have a job at the ministry, and I've been trying to promote SPEW and I hope to be a librarian at some point."

They continued talking until the food came. What they weren't aware of was the fact that they were being watched.

-->