Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ringing in the New Year by I Heart Harry
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ringing in the New Year

I Heart Harry

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! =D 2009 baby, woo!

Okay, so anyways, this fic is just a little something I came up with after my new year's plan of getting completely wasted was canceled. I was hoping to finish this New Year's Eve, and then post the next chapter on New Year's Day but that didn't work out the way I planned.

Just a side note, since I didn't really ellaborate in the story. Harry and Ginny dated for a bit after the war, then broke up on good terms. Ginny started dating Neville and Harry went onto the auror program.

Oh, and I apologize if there are any spelling/grammar errors. The Microsoft Word that came with my laptop was only a trial version so I'm using a knock off program with no spell check.

Enjoy!

- - -

"I cannot wait for Ralph's New Year's party! I've been saving up my Christmas money just to buy the alcohol for this night! Man, I'm going to get so smashed."

Twenty-one year-old Hermione Granger rolled her eyes, a soft smile on her face as the teenager and her friend chatted loudly beside her, oblivious to the snarky look they were getting from an elderly lady a table away.

"Me too!" The teenager's friend replied, practically bouncing out of her seat. "And you know a certain someone is supposed to be stopping by before midnight, right?" She asked, giving her friend a sly look.

"Ohmigod, shut up!" The girl squealed, "Are you serious, Mandy?"

The girl, Mandy, nodded her head. "He told me he will stop by for a bit to see how the party is."

"Oooh!" The girl squealed again, "Make sure he stays for the count down! He will be my kiss for the new year. Ha! Tera's expression when she sees the guy she wants with me is going to be priceless."

Hermione chuckled quietly to herself and shook her head. The little muggle cafe her and Ginny decided to go to for lunch was packed full of people, ranging from those teenage girls to the elderly lady glaring at them. Hermione could've sworn she heard the lady mutter "Girls today... keep their damn legs closed" under her breath as she shuffled past Hermione towards the door.

"Here's your tea, ma'am." The waitress said, placing a tea cup and saucer in front of Hermione, "Your muffin will be here in a minute, I just have to warm it up for you."

"Oh, thank you." Hermione said, smiling. Grabbing a spoon, she briefly stirred her beverage then took a sip, wincing as the liquid burned her tongue. She placed the tea cup down on the table and looked around the cafe. Though it was December twenty-eighth, there were still some Christmas decorations up around the room.

The door to the cafe opened, bringing in a rush of cold air. Ginny spotted Hermione and began to make her way to her, uncoiling the knitted scarf that Mrs. Weasley had made for her. "Hey, sorry I'm a bit late." Ginny apologized, sitting down. She placed her scarf on the chair beside her and took off her mitts, putting them on the table. "Work held me back."

Hermione smiled, "Don't worry about it."

The waitress returned with her muffin and a little tray of butter. "Oh, that looks good." Ginny commented, grabbing her purse, "I'm going to get one, be right back."

"Wait." Hermione said, leaning it. She lowered her voice, "Remember that this is a muggle place. Be careful with your money."

Ginny flushed, remembering the incident where she gave the clerk a fifty pound note instead of a ten pound note then told him to keep the change, not understanding why the clerk was being so giddy about her tip. "I know, I know," Ginny hissed, marching up to the counter to place her order.

When she returned, she gave a smug look to Hermione, who was smirking at her from across the table. "It went perfectly fine, thank you." Ginny said.

"Oh if Adam is going to be at the party I'm going to have to find something else to wear!" The young girl at the other table wailed, catching the attention of Hermione and Ginny.

"They've been like that before you got here." Hermione explained, "You know how teenagers are with getting drunk and partying."

Ginny laughed, "Yeah... I didn't even need an excuse back then. My friends said 'party' and I was there."

"You're talking after you were seventeen, right?" Hermione asked, grinning.

Ginny grinned back, "Of course."

The waitress returned with Ginny's muffin and the two women ate in silence, enjoying the noisy clatter of the cafe. "So." Ginny said, popping a piece of muffin into her mouth, "What are your plans for New Year's?"

Hermione shrugged, idly stirring her tea. "Nothing, really." She replied, "I was thinking of staying home and reading the book my parents got me for Christmas."

Ginny's nose wrinkled, "No, Hermione!" She said, "It's New Year's! You should be having fun!"

"Reading is fun." Hermione said defensively, glaring at Ginny.

"Okay, but not on New Year's. You should be with friends, telling stories of things that happened during the year, not sitting at home reading."

"Even if I wanted to do something, it's too late now." Hermione said, "It's three days until New Years Eve, everyone already has plans."

"Just come to my place." Ginny said eagerly.

"I don't know." Hermione replied, "I sort of just want to have a quiet New Year's this year."

"Hermione," she whined, "My place will be quiet."

"Who all is going?"

"Just some friends," Ginny replied, shifting slightly in her chair.

"Like who?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow. A party at Ginny Weasley's was never quiet.

"Harry, Ron, Neville, Luna, some other family, and some people from work."

"And how many people are bringing a few people with them?"

Ginny paused and bit her lip, then gave a sheepish smile, "Not all of them. Harry, Ron, Luna, and Neville aren't bringing anybody."

Hermione smirked and leaned back in her chair, "Gin, your house is going to be packed full of people. People who will be drinking heavily." She said, shaking her head. "I don't want to ring in the new year by having someone throw up on me."

"No one is going to throw up on you." Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

"Well I would rather not take the risk." Hermione sniffed.

"Awe, come on Hermione, just come to my party." Ginny pleaded, "Please."

"Why do you want me to go so badly?"

"Because if you don't go then we can't get you and-" she began then cut herself off, slapping her hand over her mouth.

"Can't get me and what?" Hermione asked, narrowing her eyes.

Ginny shook her head, "Nothing!" She said quickly.

"It has to be something." Hermione said. Ginny was looking uncomfortable, fidgeting with the handle of her cup. "Tell me."

"It really is nothing." She replied, "You just... should go to the party."

Hermione was curious now, and a bit suspicious. Ginny had an anxious look on her face, like she just said something she wasn't supposed to say. "Give me a good reason why I should go." Hermione challenged.

"Because it will be fun?" She said, sounding unsure.

"Yeah," Hermione said slowly, "nice try. Now tell me what you're hiding."

"I'm not hiding anything!" Ginny protested.

"Then why can't you tell me?"

"Because I don't want to."

Hermione was really curious now. She sat up and rested her elbow on the table. "If I say I'll go to your party will you tell me?" She didn't want to go to the stupid party, but Ginny was clearly hiding something. Something that involved her.

"Like I'm going to fall for that," Ginny snorted. "I'll tell you then you'll make up some excuse to not go."

"No I won't." Hermione replied. If Ginny told her what she was hiding, she would go to that party, her pride wouldn't allow her to back out of it. She would just leave after about twenty minutes.

Ginny stared at her for a couple moments, trying to decide what to do. "Fine," She began, "if I tell you what's going on, you have to promise you'll go. No backing out."

Hermione nodded. "Okay."

"You promise?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Yes, I promise."

Ginny took a deep breath, "Okay. No backing out though."

"Get on with it," Hermione said impatiently, rolling her eyes.

"Some of us were thinking that you and Harry could... get together this New Year's."

It took a moment for Hermione to realize what her friend said. Her eyes widened and she felt her face heat up, "W-what?" She squeaked.

"We want you guys to hook up -" Ginny began.

"I know what you meant." Hermione interrupted, feeling her face get even warmer, "Why? What makes you think -"

Ginny sighed, "Hermione it's obvious that you like him." She said, interrupting her, "Don't say anything, everyone can see it. And, to be honest, it's getting almost painful to watch."

Hermione felt her face flush with embarrassment. She did like Harry. A lot. She might even venture to say that she loved him. But they had been friends for ten years now, a decade, it would be strange to just jump into a relationship. "How do you know he feels the same way?" She asked in a small voice.

Ginny gave a frustrated sigh, "For someone so smart, you really are stupid. It's obvious to us that you like Harry, and it's also pretty obvious that he feels the same way!"

Hermione's head snapped up. She stared at her friend with a dumbfounded expression, "Y-you don't know that." She protested.

"You're right, we don't." Ginny admitted, "But we're pretty damn sure of it. He hardly dates, and when he does go out with a girl, he finds some flaw kind in her. And you know what I noticed?"

Unable to find her voice, Hermione shook her head.

"Every flaw he points out, you don't have. She isn't smart enough, she's too wild, she's too self-centered." Ginny smiled, "Plus, you two are so in tune with each other. You guys seem to know what each other is thinking without having to say it."

Hermione licked her lips. She wanted to believe what Ginny was saying, she did. The butterflies in her stomach were flittering and the bubble of hope was expanding, but there still was a lingering doubt that Hermione had, that she always had. "He's Harry Potter, he can have any girl he wants." She began slowly.

"Don't you start." Ginny growled, pointing a finger at her. "You know Harry. You know he doesn't want a girl who loves his money and fame more than him. He wants someone who understands him, who loves him for who he is."

Hermione swallowed thickly. "Alright." She said, giving a small smile. "I'll go."

"Yes!" Ginny shouted, pumping her fist into the air. The people at tables near the two, looked over at them, and Hermione felt herself blush even more. "This is so exciting! I've been waiting for a long time for this."

"You have?" Hermione asked, laughing uncomfortably.

"Well, yeah." Ginny said, shrugging. "After Harry and I broke up, I assumed that you guys would eventually hook up. But I got to head over to mum's to help baby sit. Come by my house around five on New Year's. Oh, and dress up, I'm making it a formal thing."


- - -

New Year's eve was something that Hermione both dreaded and was excited for. She told herself after she and Ginny left the cafe a few days ago that she wouldn't get her hopes up too high, Ginny could be wrong about her assumption of Harry, and that if she got her hopes up, she knew she would be hurt all the more if it didn't work out. But even though she told herself not to get excited, Hermione felt herself daydreaming little scenarios involving her and Harry, getting little shivers when she imagined them kissing.

Hermione twist and turned, staring at her reflection in the mirror. She decided to splurge when Ginny told her the party was going to be more formal, and boldly bought a dress she normally wouldn't be caught dead wearing. The red halter dress hugged her body like a second skin, showing off her soft curves. She liked the way the dress looked on her, though the dip in the front reveled a little too much cleavage than she would have liked. Her brown hair tumbled past her shoulder in waves thanks to half a bottle of Sleekeasy, and she even put on a little make up to boot.

Crookshanks meowed from the bed behind Hermione. She turned to him and smiled, "Happy new year," she told him, grabbing her wand. She apparated to Ginny's house and was surprised to see that there was already a fair amount of people there. Looking around, she spotted Ginny talking to a pretty blond.

Ginny noticed her friend, her eyes widening as she took in her appearance, "Hermione!" she said, "You look amazing."

"Thank you." Hermione replied softly, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

The blond nodded to Ginny, smiled at Hermione then walked off to another group. "Dressed up for Harry did we?" Ginny said slyly, grinning.

Hermione flushed, "You said to dress formally." she muttered, smoothing the dress.

"Uh huh, sure." Ginny said. "He isn't here yet." She informed, catching Hermione look around the room.

"Gin, we have a bit of a problem." Neville said, hurrying over to them. "Harry - Hermione is that you?" Neville seemed to do a double take of his friend. "Wow, you look amazing."

"Thanks, Neville." Hermione replied, feeling her face warm up.

"What's the problem?" Ginny asked her boyfriend.

Neville glanced at Hermione and she instantly knew what was going on by the look of his face. Feeling her heart sink, she straightened up and squared her shoulders, "I know about your guys' plan, Neville."

Neville bit his lip, looking extremely uncomfortable. Ginny sighed impatiently, "Neville, tell us what's going on."

From the corner of Hermione's eye, she spotted Harry enter the room. Turning her head, her stomach dropped when she saw his arm draped around the shoulders of a beautiful brunette. She looked back at Ginny, who had a look of shock on her face, "Oh." Hermione said softly.

"I thought you said he wasn't bringing anyone." Ginny hissed at Neville.

"He just decided to bring her today." He explained solemnly, "Hermione I'm sorry."

Hermione shook her head. She felt foolish, really foolish, and felt even worse now that Neville was staring at her. She didn't want pity. "It's okay." She said, forcing a smile.

"Hermione," Ginny began, looking extremely apologetic, "I'm so sorry. I was sure that he wasn't going to bring anyone and -"

Hermione held her hand up, cutting of her tirade. "It's fine, Ginny." She said. To her dismay, she felt her eyes prickle with tears forming. "You weren't for sure on this, you just based it off on an assumption."

Ginny flinched, "I understand if you want to go home," she said, "you didn't want to come to this anyway."

Hermione shook her head. She felt depressed, but she was already here. It would be stupid to go home after she put all that work into getting ready for tonight. Plus, going home would be a cowardly thing to do, and Hermione wasn't a coward. "I'll stay, I'm here anyway."

"Are you-"

"Hey guys!" Harry said, cutting off Neville. Ginny stiffened as he and the beautiful brunette came up to them, "Happy new year."

Hermione forced another smile, "Happy new year, Harry." she said.

"Who is this?" Ginny asked. Hermione caught a bit of hostility in her tone. Neville noticed too, and gave her a little nudge.

Harry didn't notice though as he turned to the woman with a big smile, "This is Tallia, she transferred over to our department just after Christmas. She's from Canada."

"From Canada?" Hermione asked. She needed to act like nothing was wrong. Harry didn't do anything so there was no reason for her to snarky.

"Yes, I transfered from Saskatchewan," Tallia said in a slight accent.

"Sas - what?" Ginny asked, looking confused. "I've never heard of that place before."

"Not many people have," she laughed, "it's the province where I'm from."

Harry grinned at her, "I just came over to introduce her to you guys," he said, looking around, "I'll be back later." Tallia waved and Harry led her off to another group of friends to introduce her.

"Skank," Hermione heard Ginny mutter under her breath.

"Ginny!" Hermione scolded, "She seems like a lovely girl. Don't be stand offish towards her. Harry didn't know about your 'plan', right?"

"No." she grumbled.

"Then don't be angry. It isn't his fault." With that, Hermione walked away from Neville and Ginny and went into the kitchen where all the food and alcohol was. She leaned against the counter, the back of her head hitting the cupboard.

"Lookin' good, Hermione!" Seamus said, grabbing a bottle of firewhiskey and looking appreciatively at Hermione. "Come find me at midnight." He flirted, winking at her.

Hermione smiled as Seamus walked out of the kitchen. Shaking her head she grabbed a glass and poured herself some wine.

"Hermione Granger, drinking?" Ron said, coming through the door with a mock expression of horror on his face, "The world is coming to an end!"

"Sod off, Ron." Hermione replied, taking a sip.

Ron grinned and gave her a one armed hug, using the other to grab a bottle of beer. "You look great, Hermione." He said.

"Thanks." She replied, going to sit down at the kitchen table.

"So," Ron said, playing with the cap of the bottle, "is, uh, Harry here yet?"

Hermione sighed, Ron was in on the 'plan' too it seemed. It was also apparent that he didn't know about Tallia either."Yes, he's here." she said. "He'll be introducing you to Tallia once you go out there."

Ron blinked, "Tallia?"

"His date for tonight."

"His date?"

Hermione nodded, taking another sip of the wine. "He brought a girl who just transferred to his department." She swirled her wine around in her class, wondering who all knew about this plan of Ginny's. Tonight would be harder to deal with than she thought.

"Hermione," Ron said slowly, taking in her appearance. "You did this for Harry, didn't you."

Hermione stayed silent, staring at the liquid in her glass.

"That bastard." Ron growled, turning towards the living room.

"Ron, no!" Hermione said, setting her glass and quickly moving in front of him. "He didn't know about Ginny's plan so don't you go protective best friend on him."

Ron looked at Hermione and sighed. "We just want you two to be happy," he said softly.

Hermione smiled, "Thank you," she said, "come on." Ron nodded and grabbed his and Hermione's drinks then led her into the living room. More people had shown up, and the place with getting pretty loud. Someone turned on the radio and a Weird Sisters song was playing loudly.

The rest of the night went by in a blur for Hermione. She tried having a good time catching up with people from Hogwarts, and for the most part, she did have a good time. But every time Hermione would forget about Harry bringing Tallia, she would always see a glimpse of the two together.

Around eleven-thirty Hermione was sitting with Ginny, Neville, and Luna. Ginny was sitting on Neville's lap, glaring daggers at Tallia. She was across the room with Harry, Ron, Dean, and Seamus who were playing a drinking game. "I bet you she's some kind of slut over in Canada," Ginny said, slurring slightly. She rested her head on Neville's chest, her face flushed from the alcohol. "You could take her, Mione."

Hermione, who didn't have as much to drink, shook her head. "Just give up on it, Ginny." she said, getting annoyed. All throughout the night, Ginny would say snarky little things about the Canadian. She could be quite the mean drunk, Hermione discovered.

"You are so much better than her!" Ginny continued, ignoring Hermione. "She isn't that pretty either."

Sighing, Hermione got up and walked out of the room to the hall to go get her jacket. She needed to go outside for some fresh air, and to get away from Ginny. Her friends constant reminder that Harry was with Tallia was really beginning to get to her. The more she thought about it, combined with the alcohol she drank, the more upset she was getting about it.

On her way out of the room, she glanced over in Harry's direction. He looked up and smiled at Hermione. She gave a small smile back then pulled on her jacket and walked out. The cold air felt refreshing to her as she stepped down the steps and out into the front yard. Checking her watch, she noted that it was ten minutes to midnight.

"It's chilly out here."

Hermione jumped, looking back to see Harry closing the front door. Rubbing his hands he skipped down the steps and walked over to Hermione. She could tell he was a little drunk, his eyes had a shine to them and he was a little unsteady on his feet. "What are you doing out here?" he asked.

"Just needed a bit of fresh air," she said. "What about you?"

"I saw you come out here." Harry shrugged, "We haven't really talked much tonight, have we?"

"Yeah." Hermione said, smiling. Just act normal, she kept chanting to herself, act normal, act normal, act normal. "But you've been busy introducing Tallia to everyone."

Harry grinned. "What do you think of her?"

"She seems nice." Hermione said slowly.

"She really is." He paused. "It's the holiday's and she's only been in the country for a couples days, I thought I'd bring her here so she can meet new people, make some friends. She's really smart too, you know?"

"Really." Hermione said, staring straight ahead.

"I'd recken she's about as smart as you. I think you guys would get along great, she seems to have the same interests as you."

That's sounds lovely. Hermione thought snidely. She forced a smile, "That'd be... great." Hermione checked her watch, "It's a couple minutes to midnight, we should get back."

"Oh, alright." Harry followed Hermione into the house. Everyone had a refill of their drink and were now chatting excitedly, waiting for the new year. Tallia saw Harry come in and smiled, hurrying over to them.

"There you are, I was worried you wouldn't be back by midnight." Tallia said grinning.

"Happy new year Harry, it was nice to meet you Tallia." Hermione said, smiling at the girl.

"It was nice meeting you too."

Hermione walked away and over to Ginny. She wanted to go home, she was tired, and it was pretty clear to her that Harry was pretty smitten with Tallia. She knew deep down she didn't have a chance with Harry. But with Ginny convincing her that he did have feelings for her, and her being stupid and getting her hopes up, the realization hurt so much more.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven," everyone began. Ron pulled Hermione to his side as he joined in loudly, "six, five, four, three, two, one, HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Everyone in the room yelled and cheered. Ginny pulled Neville down for a kiss. He stumbled for a moment then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her up against her. Ron gave Hermione a quick kiss on the top of her head then pulled Luna up to him for a kiss.

Hermione looked around the room, feeling a bit awkward in front of the two couples. She saw Tallia pull Harry down for a quick peck on the lips and pull away, blushing. "I'm going to go guys," she said to the still kissing couples, not caring if they heard her or not, "Happy new year."

She brushed past them and walked to the hall to apparate. Back at her flat, Hermione kicked off her heels and hurried into her bedroom, stripping off her dress. Tears began to flood her vision as she yanked a pair of pajamas out of her dresser, pulling them on. Flinging herself down on her bed, she hugged her pillow, a sob escaping her. After trying to act like nothing was wrong for the evening, Hermione let her defenses down and let her emotions take over.

Having your heart broken was a horrible way of entering the new year.

- - -

A/N: There you have it, hopefully it wasn't too bad. I did have a bit to drink while writing the ending part but I think it's okay. The next part should hopefully be up by Friday, though don't get mad if it's up Saturday or Sunday.

And for those who are waiting for me to update Mistake?, I really am trying. I've probably written out ten different chapters before scrapping them all. This is the worst case of writer's block I've ever had! Maybe getting some of my other ideas out onto paper will clear my head. But I will try and update as soon as I can.

-->