Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unwanted Love by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unwanted Love

Harrys Mistress

Hey guys! Thanks for the awesome reviews, as always! Here's another update! Hope you guys enjoy!

Much love!

~HM

Chapter 8

Dameon wanted to strangle Liam…along with every other guy in the crowded bar, who had his eyes on A.J. The only wizard he didn't feel the need to strangle was Dallas, because he only had eyes for Nora. He had already been there when they had arrived and happened to have a private reserved booth for them.

"I'm good friends with the owner," Dallas explained when they all crawled into the booth that was just a little snug with the five of them. "I know, it's a little tight…but it's a busy night and this was the best he could do. To make it up, he ordered us a bottle of champagne," he added as he gestured to the silver bucket that held a bottle perched in ice to keep it chilled.

"That was nice of him," Nora said as she snuggled closer to him, but was secretly thankful the booth was small so she had an excuse to get close. Dallas seemed to agree and placed a hand over her bare knee under the table and slowly swept his thumb in gentle circles.

Ava tried not to squirm in her seat. Somehow, she found herself sitting between Liam and Dameon in the tight booth. Her right side, which was touching Dameon, felt warm and safe and leaning into that warmth felt so natural she kept catching herself doing just that. As for her left side…nothing. Not one flutter or stir swept through her when she concentrated on Liam's touch. Dammit.

"I've never had champagne before," she finally said as she tried her best to ignore Dameon on her right. "Is it good?"

"I think so,' Nora said while Dallas poured her a glass. "I had some at a friend's wedding back in the spring."

"Pace yourself though," Dallas warned as he handed her the next glass. "Too much, too fast, can be lethal."

"Dually noted," she said accepting the drink. "Thanks."

"Sure…here you go Liam," he said handing out a glass to him.

Liam scoffed at it. "Champagne's a girly drink," he said in protest. "I'll pass."

"The hell it is," Dameon scoffed right back. "Hand it over, Cosgrove."

"You got it," he said shifting the glass to Dameon instead. "Liam, if you're too good for free champagne, then go to the bar and pay for your own…manly drink."

"Fine," he said with a roll of his eyes. Why were they even hanging out with him? He was hired help for Merlin's sake. "Let's go, A.J."

"What? No," she protested when he tried to take her hand. "I want to stay and drink champagne. Just…go get your drink and come back."

Liam scowled. He hated when she didn't do as he asked, which was pretty often considering how damn stubborn she was. It was one of the many traits of hers that he hoped to change in the near future. "Whatever," he said stiffly. "I'll be at the bar…this booth is a little too crowded anyway. Come find me when you want to."

"Liam…"

"Oh, let the ungrateful prat go," Dameon said as he nudged her to scoot over. She had been way too close to him and her scent was clouding his mind. He felt as if he had already drunken an entire bottle of champagne.

"Stop shoving, I'm moving," she grumbled as she happily shifted over to where Liam was sitting to give them all more room. However, Dallas and Nora didn't budge and still sat close together. "I'm sorry about Liam…he can get like that when he's in one of his moods."

"So I guess that means he's always in a mood," Dameon said. "The guy's a jerk, A.J."

"Just drop it, okay?" she hissed. "I'm sorry you two don't get along, but that's just the way it is. He's different when he's just with me."

"Oh, I just bet he is," he muttered softly, but still loud enough for her to hear.

When Dallas saw A.J. scowl, he immediately cleared his throat and held up his glass. "Er…how bout a toast," he said, hoping to change the subject. "Cheers ya'll." When they all stifled back chuckles and snickers, he rolled his eyes, knowing they were laughing at his southern twang that slipped out of him now and then. "I'm a Texan…I can't help it."

XXXX

Between the four of them, they knocked out the first bottle fairly quickly and Dameon insisted on buying the next bottle. "You can get the next round," Dameon said when Dallas started to protest. "Deal?"

"Okay, deal," he agreed after a moment then waved over their waitress.

"I love champagne," Ava said with a giggle. "It's so…bubbly and refreshing."

"I have a feeling we're going to be running into Grace tonight," Dameon teased, as he filled up her glass.

Ava responded by slapping him in the arm, but then went ahead and chuckled in agreement. "You're probably right."

Dameon just grinned and as he took a sip, his eyes casted over to Nora and Dallas. They were in their own little world, leaning close together as they murmured intimately to each other. They weren't touching, but noticed both of their hands they weren't using to drink with, were hidden under the table. "Hey," he said to Ava in a low voice as he leaned closer to her. "Why don't we make ourselves scarce…give the two love monkeys some alone time."

Ava looked over at them, and her eyes turned soft. "Yeah…that's a good idea. Should we tell them we're going or should we just…go."

"I don't think they'll miss us. Let's just go." He then scooted out of the booth and stepped down the two steps off the platform the booth was on. He turned around just in time to reach out and grab Ava, who had tripped on the stairs, causing her to pitch forward and stumble into his arms. "Aww, there you are, Grace," he teased, smiling down at her.

Ava blushed as she tried to find her footing. "It's the shoes," she said as she took a step back. "Grace should be banned from wearing heels."

"That may be," he said looking down at her. "But they sure do show off her legs."

Although an exciting flutter erupted in her belly, she rolled her eyes. "You're so full of it, Malfoy," she muttered, then turned to walk off, only to be yanked back. "Hey!"

She had stumbled a bit, so he steadied her by grabbing her arms. "Where are you going?"

"To find Liam," she said as she shrugged off his hands.

He shoved his hands into his pockets. "Why?"

"Because I want to, Malfoy…he said to come find him at the bar."

"Oh, well in that case…we must do as Liam says."

"Ugh, leave me alone," she muttered, then turned away and fled.

She had to get away from him. She didn't know if it was the champagne…or maybe it was because he smelled exceptionally good tonight…but he was making her head spin. Then, she had to make matters worse by tripping into his arms like an idiot. Merlin, it felt good being pressed up against him like that…his body all warm, hard and masculine.

It was the champagne, she decided as she shoved her way to the crowded bar to Liam. What else could it be?

Putting Dameon out of her mind, she elbowed her way between Liam and another guy and tapped him on the shoulder since he was talking to another girl. "Liam?"

"Hmm?" He turned and his eyes went hard and cool. "Oh. Hey. Decided to finally join me?"

"C'mon Liam…you're the one who chose to leave me in the first place."

"Hmm…well I'll be with you in a second. I'm talking to Dede about our match tomorrow."

"Match?"

"Yes, I've been playing Quidditch with her…and other guys. Buy yourself a drink…put it on my tab."

Ava's jaw dropped when he turned his attention back to the blonde, who was not so attractive in Ava's opinion. She had a hell of a big nose and could her voice be any more annoying? All high pitch and nasally. With scowl on her face, she turned to the bar and waved over the bartender.

A tall, attractive man with dirty blonde hair and an easy smile walked over to her. "What can I do for you, sweetheart?"

"I'd like a drink…and put it on my boyfriend's tab, please."

The man looked over at Liam, then back at the girl. "He's your boyfriend? And he's talking to another girl?"

"Looks that way."

"Well then…what would you like?"

"Surprise me…and use all the good, expensive stuff."

He grinned. "My pleasure, cutie," he said as he got out a few different bottles and started mixing. "My names Tanner, by the way…I own the place."

"Oh, so you know, Dallas…I came with him. Well…sort of. Mostly my sister." She waved it off. "Anyway, thanks for the champagne…it was delicious."

"My pleasure." He slid her a fancy glass that was filled to the rim with a liquid that was a light green shade. "Have a taste."

Ava looked at it warily. "It looks like something I'd brew in Potions," she said, causing him to chuckle. "Well…here goes." She took a testing sip, smacked her lips, and then lifted her brows. "It's good…really good." She took another sip, a much longer, greedier one. "What is it?"

"Sour Apple Martini…made with all the expensive shit."

"Nice job, Tanner."

"Thanks, A.J."

Ava frowned. "Did I mention my name?"

"No, but I remember Dallas talking about Nora's sister, A.J. But mostly…he talks about Nora. He's stuck on her."

Ava grinned. "I can assure you, she's stuck on him as well."

"Good. He deserves it. Listen, I need to man the other end of the bar…you just let me know when you need a refill."

"I'll do that," she said with a slight smile and took another sip. When she heard Dede laugh, she looked over and rolled her eyes. He was being an ass on purpose, hoping she'd eventually give in and try to soften him up. Hadn't he figured out yet that she didn't work that way? It was Liam who eventually apologized, giving her that charming smile, or send her flowers to win her over.

It would take more than a charming smile and a bouquet of flowers this time around.

Maybe everyone was right about him. Maybe she was wasting her time. But…he could be so sweet when he wanted to be and that always pleasantly surprised her. And he also has been patient with her when it came to sex…something she wasn't ready to do. He hadn't pressured her once since they've been together. A little frustrated now and again, especially that one night a few weeks ago when she almost gave in, but changed her mind at the last minute. That couldn't have been easy for him, but he backed away as soon as she asked him to.

So...he wasn't so bad. Nobody was perfect. Not that she'd forgive him easily for tonight. He was going to have to make it up to her. Big time. The expensive sour apple martinis were a good start, she decided as she ordered another one from tanner, then decided to leave the bar and venture out on her own.

She slid off the stool, muttered "asshole" under her breath as she passed Liam, who was still focused on Dede. She pushed Liam out of her mind, lifted her chin and walked off with as much pride as she could muster. She went to the table first, but immediately turned away when she realized the two "love monkeys" were still in their own little universe.

She'd track down Malfoy. Yes, he was an annoying prat, but most of the time an entertaining one. So, she'd search him out and maybe buy him a round of drinks….on Liam's tab of course.

Hmm, where was he? The bar was crowded, but it wasn't necessarily big, so it shouldn't be hard to find him. Maybe he was in the loo, or up at the bar. Or maybe he was…

She stopped in the middle of the crowd when she spotted him. He wasn't at the bar, or at the loo, but at a small cozy table with…of course…a woman. She was blonde…what is it with men and blondes? She had big boobs, curves…two things she didn't have. Okay, so maybe she wasn't exactly flat as a pancake, but she was damn near close compared to the busty blonde who was now practically glued to Dameon's side.

Jeez, could she be more obvious? She was practically getting naked right in front of him, the way she was shoving her breasts in his face. At least he had the decency to advert his eyes whenever she deliberately leaned over to show him the goods.

The busty blonde whispered something in her ear, and Ava watched in horror as Dameon actually blushed. What the hell? Dameon didn't blush. Yet, there he was…blushing like an idiot while he looked all flustered and embarrassed when he answered back.

Ava let out a frustrated huff, as she made herself turn away from the unpleasant sight. She was sick of men tonight…she was sick of feeling so damn alone and she was damn sick of being there. She wanted to leave…go home, take the ridiculous dress and painful heels off of her and bury herself under the covers.

She tossed back the rest of her drink, slammed the empty glass at a nearby table and strutted towards the entrance of the bar, and sauntered out.

XXXXX

Dameon was in a bind. He had been ever since the overly clingy, cleavage overload wearing, giggly, ridiculously obnoxious, from a potion bottled blonde, had joined him at his small private table he had been lucky enough to find.

She was clinging to him now, yapping in his ear like an irritated toy poodle. Merlin, did she have an off button? He had to get away and he had a feeling he would have to be straight with her. Subtle wouldn't get the job done with this one.

"Ah look…Lacey…"

"Lisa," she corrected with a giggle.

"Lisa. Sorry. Listen, I appreciate your…charming offer to…accompany you out in the alley…" Merlin, help him. "But, I really need to…"

"Excuse me."

Dameon immediately looked up at the man and silently praised him for interrupting. "Yes?" he asked suddenly as he flew to his feet.

"Ah…you're with Dallas, right? And Nora and A.J.?"

"Yeah…I'm Dameon." He casually lifted Lacey…no, Lisa's…hand off his thigh. "Everything okay?"

"Not sure. I just saw A.J. charge out of here looking quite peeved. I'm Tanner…the owner. I had served her a few drinks, then happened to catch her leave."

"Alone?" Dameon asked suddenly.

"Looks that way…I just thought I'd ought to let someone know. I don't think it's quite safe for her to be walking back home by herself."

"Agreed. Thanks, Tanner, I'll go after her…ah, shit…I still need to pay for my…"

"Don't worry about it…I'll put it on A.J.'s jackass of a boyfriend's tab."

Dameon grinned. "I like you. Thanks."

"Wait, you're leaving me?" Lisa pouted when he started to walk away. "For another girl?"

"She's not just another girl," he said flatly. "It's been a pleasure, Lacey."

"Lisa!" she called out as he walked away.

"Whatever!" he shouted over his shoulder and then muscled his way to the door.

He took a deep breath as he geared himself up for a fight, because he had a feeling he was about to have a big one once he caught up with A.J.

-->