Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Surprise by Trojan#12
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Surprise

Trojan#12

JKR owns.

A Surprise

---

Hermione quickly turned her key in the lock, trying to open the door. It was an exceptionally chilly January afternoon, and the brunette witch was eager to just get inside her apartment and think. Finally the latch released, allowing her to open the door and come in. Her flat was dark inside, seeing as her boyfriend was still at work. With a sigh, Hermione ambled her way through the hallway until she reached the living room. She quietly shrugged out of her jacket before dropping down on the couch, her thoughts remaining on her absent boyfriend.

He hadn't known that she had skipped out on work today to go to St. Mungo's for a check up. Secretly, seeing as she didn't want to cause a fuss, she went to see a healer to get some insight on why she had been sick for the last couple of weeks. Her symptoms were primarily nausea, but it got to the point where she was waking up every morning and running to the loo to empty her stomach. Even certain smells made her gag.

Even though these symptoms were unlike anything she'd ever experienced before, she didn't think it was anything serious. Maybe a touch of the flu or something, but definitely nothing important enough to concern others over. Oh, how wrong she had been. The news that Healer Greysmith had given her was the last thing she'd ever expected. Today, Hermione Jane Granger found out that she was going to be a mother.

The news wouldn't only change her life, but the life of her friend's and family as well. How would everyone react? She was twenty-two; maybe a little young in some people's books. She wasn't married, even though she wouldn't say no if her boyfriend ever got around to asking. In Hermione's eyes, she was as ready as she'd ever be to be a mum. With all the things Harry, Ron, and herself had gone through in their teenage years, it made her attain a greater sense of mortality. She was with the man she loved- why waste any time? And plus, it wasn't like there was any going back. The baby was already seven weeks along…

Already seven weeks. Hermione's eyes subconsciously flittered close as she remembered back to the night she personally thought was the night she'd conceived. Everything had been so intimate between them- like no one else mattered. That thought kind of scared her though. Honestly, she enjoyed her time alone with him, and she was positive that he did as well. A baby would change that though; a baby would definitely rearrange their priorities. Would he be ready for that? Would he be ready to give up his youth and to dedicate his life to the one he had created with her?

Was he ready to be a father?

Hermione bit her lip as the uncertainty washed over her. To be honest, she didn't know what she'd do if he didn't want the baby. The sort of dazed cloud of happiness and delight that had been hanging over her head ever since the healer's office would most surely darken, and turn into an ominous cloud of loneliness and angst. She could never be happy if her baby didn't get to know his or her father. Their life would never be complete!

Hermione couldn't take the radical thoughts anymore, so she shook her head, trying to clear her mind of any more rampant worries. She didn't know why she was being so pessimistic. Her baby was healthy… that should be the only thing that mattered.

Subconsciously, her eyes darted down to her still pretty flat stomach. The healer said that she would start showing in a few more weeks. That was when she'd really have to start worrying about people's reactions. Hermione knew she shouldn't keep something this huge from her family and friends, and even though she was excited about her baby, her nerves were nearly eating her alive. It was bad enough that she only had about another half hour before her boyfriend returned from work, but then she'd have to worry about notifying everyone else too. With that thought in mind, she immediately found herself thinking about their best friend. She knew that everyone else would eventually get over their shock and be happy for her, but with him, she wasn't so sure. How would she explain herself to the boy she'd been friends with for thirteen years now?

She sighed, as she continued to think about her best friend. He hadn't much been talking to them lately, and she figured she knew why. It seemed like he had never really been able to get over her. It saddened Hermione, because deep down in her own heart, she knew that they never really had a chance. They had dated, and it wasn't like that didn't mean anything to her. But the feelings she had harbored for her other best mate had been there much too long to ignore. Especially when he finally came back…

The door suddenly opened from across the flat, and Hermione turned to see her boyfriend of a year, struggling under the weight of a few brown grocery bags. Hermione smiled, albeit her previous thoughts, as she noticed the bouquet of lilies on top.

"You know, the pantry and fridge are full. We really didn't need any more food."

He jumped, dislodging the three grocery bags and sending the flowers flying from top. Thankfully, his seeker reflexes snatched them in mid air before they hit the ground.

"Hermione! You're home early…" he said, his voice mixed with surprise and disappointment. He walked over and set the groceries down on the bar counter connected to the kitchen. Hermione smiled as she got a glimpse of his jet black hair, scuffed up more than usual with snow flurries scattered on top.

"Um, yeah… I- I didn't go into work today," she told him as he came and plopped down next to her on the sofa.

Harry leaned in and gave her a quick kiss, "How come? If I would've known you were going to ditch, I would have stayed home too."

She swatted his shoulder as he chortled, "Harry James, I did not ditch work! I was going to go, but I got sick."

Harry stopped smiling instantly, "You got sick? Again?"

"Yeah," she replied, starting to get quieter. The nerves related to the outcome of the healer's visit was starting to weigh in on her.

"Look, I don't care what you say, if it happens again we're going to the doctor. It can't simply be the flu," he said back. Harry put his arm around her shoulders and drew her into him, rubbing her arm softly.

"That won't be necessary," she answered without meeting his eyes. Harry was about to argue when Hermione continued, "because I actually went to St. Mungo's today."

"You did? Why didn't you ask me to come with you? You know I would have left work-"

"I know, I know. I um, I wanted to go by myself," she muttered, starting to chew on her lip.

"Why?"

Hermione shrugged and gazed down to her fidgeting fingers, "I just wanted to hear what was wrong with me by myself."

Harry frowned, "I don't understand. What's wrong with you? Something bad?"

Again she shrugged, "I think that's up to you to decide…"

"What?" he asked, his confusion quickly increasing. If she was sick, why was it up to him to decide whether it was serious or not? "Hermione, tell me what the healer said."

"Um, well…" she took a deep breath before looking up into the eyes of the man she loved, so full of concern and care. It was in that moment that she was reassured that she had nothing to be worried about. He loved her, she loved him, and together they would love anything that came from that bond.

"I'm pregnant."

Hermione watched on quietly as Harry's face froze in place. It took a couple minutes, but eventually he blinked and started to make some signs of consciousness.

"P-pregnant?"

She bit her lip and nodded slowly, "Yeah. Pregnant."

"Like… like with a baby?" Harry asked again, his expression completely dumbfounded.

Still biting her lip, a shy smile etched across her face, "Yes…"

Harry nodded deftly, "Okay… pregnant with a baby…" Hermione raised her eyebrow at him and was about to ask him if he was alright when he suddenly sprawled back on the couch and kicked his feet up on the coffee table, "Hermione, I feel woozy."

Hermione couldn't help but let out a laugh, "Yeah, that's kind of how I felt when I found out."

"Bloody hell, this is so…"

"Good?" Hermione chanced timidly.

"Amazing," he corrected, "Hermione we're going to be parents."

She couldn't control the grin that came over her face. For some reason, she was relieved more than ever when she heard him say those words. Somehow, it made everything seem totally perfect. Still reeling, she nodded, "I know."

"Do you know how far along you are?" Harry asked, the excitement evident in his tone.

"The healer said seven weeks. My due date is in August."

"August?" Harry repeated happily, "That's right in between our birthdays. Is it a boy or a girl? Did the healer say?"

To his disappointment, Hermione quickly shook her head, "No, it's way too early to tell."

"Oh," he muttered, before giving her a bright smile, "This is still amazing though."

Hermione nodded, "Yeah, I made an appointment so we can go back in a couple weeks and get an ultrasound."

"Are those when they take the little live pictures of the baby?" Harry asked in anticipation. He'd heard one of his fellow aurors describe his wife's ultrasound a few months ago, and it sounded totally fascinating.

Hermione nodded, "Yeah. Even though it's not really a baby yet. The healer today only showed me the heartbeat…"

"It already has a heartbeat?" Harry asked, gently placing a hand over Hermione's small bump. She hadn't gained any weight, and apart from the way she'd been sick lately, Harry would've never guessed that their child had been living inside of her for the past seven weeks.

Hermione nodded, "Yep."

"That's insane," Harry whispered in awe, not taking his eyes off of her stomach.

"I can't believe you're happy," Hermione whispered, equally dazed.

Harry must've taken her sentiment the wrong way though, because he quickly looked up to her with narrowed eyes, "What do you mean you can't believe I'm happy?"

"Just that, this is so all of the sudden… I didn't think you'd be so happy at first. I expected for you to be in a shocked state for a little longer…"

"Well, I'm definitely shocked, but it's a good shock."

Hermione smiled as she nodded. Harry started to rub his hand over her stomach while she glanced back to the abandoned groceries, "So why are you home so early? And what's up with the groceries?"

"Oh, uh…" Harry paused for a second, trying to think of a nice cover. However, with the news Hermione had just given him, he knew he didn't really have to lie. Instead, he just gave her a sheepish look, "I wanted to make a nice dinner for you tonight."

"Really?"

Harry nodded, "Yeah. I just figured that we both have been working a lot lately, and we hadn't really had a lot of time for a nice night…"

"That's true," Hermione said, giving him a soft smile.

"Plus, we have to celebrate. I hope the baby likes Italian."

Hermione let out a laugh, "Well it's mum definitely does. Since I'm eating for two I guess I have a good excuse to go at it like a pig."

Harry nodded amusedly before mentioning, "I bought a bottle of wine, but I guess you can't have any…"

"Not even a drop," Hermione shook her head.

"So, you'll be eating like Ron tonight and I'll be getting drunk all by myself of my expensive merlot. Merlin, what has this baby done to us already?"

Hermione laughed, and gave his shoulder a hard shove, "You're not going to get drunk! And I won't eat like Ron…"

Harry smirked, "You say that now…"

"That's very cheeky, Potter," Hermione muttered, giving him a pretend glare.

Harry grinned in a charming manner, "I'm just kidding… tonight's too important."

Hermione smiled triumphantly, before leaning in and pecking his lips, "I love you."

"I love you, too." Nothing he'd said had ever been more true in his entire life.

"Mmm," Hermione sounded, coming into the kitchen where Harry was currently tied up in an apron and stirring something on the stove, "Something smells good in here."

Harry turned around and grinned, "Are you getting hungry?"

"I'm starved," Hermione said in a desperate tone, coming up to get a closer look of the sauce Harry was stirring.

He let out a laugh, "Easy. It's almost done; I just have to check on the garlic bread and then set the table."

Hermione's eyes went bright, "Ooh, garlic bread?!"

Harry turned to her with a strange look before nodding, "Yeah… in the oven…"

"I'll check on it," she muttered before hurrying over to the oven and pulling the lid open. Her mouth watered when her eyes caught sight of the pieces of delicious yellow toast, sizzling in the heat.

"They look so good…"

Harry quirked an eyebrow, "Hermione, back away from the bread."

She glanced back at Harry who seemed quite bemused by her antics. Finally, she let out a sigh and closed the oven. "Fine," she grumbled.

Harry grinned, "Only a few more minutes, love."

"Do you want me to set the table?" Hermione asked, trying to take her mind off her sudden appetite.

"If you can…" Harry answered skeptically.

Hermione rolled her eyes lightly. Harry had always been a chivalrous bloke, and now that she was pregnant, she was positive that his chivalry would be taken up a few notches. Though, at the moment he seemed to be forgetting that she was a witch. With a patient look, she pulled out her wand and pointed it at the cupboards. After muttering a quick spell, the plates, knives, and forks all zoomed from their respective storages and floated over to the kitchen table.

"All done," she said mockingly, giving Harry a winning look.

Harry only shook his head with a smile, "Well this is done, too. Go sit down and I'll bring it out."

Hermione hurried over to her seat. When she finally sat down, she subconsciously put a hand to her stomach before she glanced back to Harry with a grin. She didn't know why she had been nervous before; she couldn't have asked for a better reaction from Harry, nor could she ask for a more perfect bloke to father her child. It was true that they'd had a rocky beginning, but now all that seemed like a distant memory. The past year, and now… it all seemed like a dream to her. She couldn't wait to have their baby there with them so that he or she could experience the same love she felt.

"Hermione, do you want water or pumpkin juice?" Harry called from the kitchen.

"Water's fine," she answered, slipping out of her reverie.

A second later, several dishes full of food came floating into the kitchen, followed by Harry who walked in holding a butterbeer for him, and a glass of water for her.

"Here you go love," he said, setting the water down in front of her and kissing her on the forehead.

Hermione smiled and thanked him. Her smile grew as he placed her plate in front of her, "And there you go. Lasagna rollatini; your favorite."

"Your amazing. This is why I love you," Hermione said deadpan, eagerly grabbing for her fork. In her defense, she hadn't eaten since she got home from St. Mungo's…

Harry snorted before shrugging his shoulders lightly, "Well, I can understand that. I mean, you are a rotten cook."

Hermione narrowed her eyes as she chewed on a piece of lasagna, "I can make some things."

Harry smirked, "Some things."

"I'm going to let this slide," Hermione muttered, giving him another glare before turning back to her food.

"That's a good thing, I suppose," Harry quipped, "Aren't your hormones supposed to be getting all out of whack? I won't hold anything you say against you."

"Harry…"

Harry grinned sheepishly, knowing that he was getting quite the rise out of her. Still smiling, he reached out and squeezed her thigh, "Just kidding. I'm sure I'll love your hormones."

"It'll be such a pleasure if the baby winds up with their daddy's sense of humor," Hermione said sarcastically, taking a bite out of her much anticipated piece of garlic bread.

"Watch out," Harry teased, "He or she will probably come out looking and acting just like me."

Albeit herself, Hermione smiled wistfully, "I guess that'd be okay."

Harry again squeezed her leg, "I knew you'd come around."

The two spent the rest of the dinner talking about their baby, and what the future months might hold for them. They lightly touched on the topic of telling everyone else. So far, they only agreed to make plans to tell Hermione's parents. They both figured that it would gradually come out with their friends. Harry particularly didn't want to put any stress on Hermione by putting a deadline on when they should tell everyone else, and he wasn't so sure himself that he was ready for the media to find out. The Daily Prophet had gone crazy when Harry came back from Australia and got with Hermione; he could only imagine what they'd say when they found out that the Boy-Who-Lived would soon be a father.

"Do you want help with the dishes, Harry?" Hermione asked, coming back from the bathroom and watching him as he started to pile the plates into the kitchen sink.

Harry turned and shook his head, "No. I was just going to save them for later anyway…"

"Oh, okay." She was totally fine with just taking it easy for the night. So much had happened that day, and really all she wanted to do was relax with Harry.

"Do you want to go out on the balcony?" Harry asked, seemingly reading her mind.

She smiled and nodded, "Yeah. It's really lovely out right now."

Harry wiped his hands on a towel before walking towards her. Hand-in-hand, they made their way towards the corner of the dining room where the sliding glass door led out to their balcony, which overlooked greater London. Hermione was right- it was quite a lovely night out. It was still a bit chilly, but that was nothing that body warmth couldn't fix.

Harry let out a subtle, nervous breath as they walked out and sat down on the cushioned loveseat chair. With an air of appreciation, Harry noticed that the sparkling lights of the city helped set the romantic mood…

"This has been one of the best days of my life," Hermione murmured, folding her legs up onto the chair and resting her head on Harry's shoulder.

Harry smiled, hoping that he'd be able to make it even better soon enough. "I'm glad this is happening to us," he chose to say instead, "You're the only person I've ever wanted to make a family of my own with."

Hermione also smiled, "I feel the same. You're the only bloke I've ever truly loved."

"You're the only girl I've ever loved. You were the first person to show me what love is, and now you're giving me a family… I could never thank you enough…" Harry finished quietly, turning to look back out into the distance. Now that he was here, in the moment, his nerves were finally getting to him. He tried to spend all of today getting over them so he could be as smooth as possible tonight, but it looked like Hermione was in for some rambling instead.

Hermione kissed the side of his neck, "You don't have to thank me for anything Harry."

Harry nodded before glancing down to his knees anxiously. Nonchalantly, he let one of his hands slide over the bulge in his pocket. It strangely gave him a sort of courage to proceed, "So… I have something to tell you."

Hermione frowned, worried by his tone, "What?"

"I-I didn't really go to work today," Harry admitted.

"You didn't?" She pushed herself up so that she could look him fully in the eyes, "Where were you then?"

Harry smiled as he stealthy reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring box. Hermione's eyes went wide as he pulled it out and opened it, "Getting this."

Silently, Hermione stared down at the diamond ring nestled in the silk box. Her lips fell apart slightly as she stared down at the beautiful gesture that Harry was presenting to her. After what seemed like forever, her eyes glanced back up to his.

"Is this really what the dinner was about?"

Harry grinned, "Yeah…"

"Harry-"

"Wait, let me get this out while I still can. I love you Hermione- I always, always have. When we separated, it was the worst for me because I couldn't see you and kiss you whenever I wanted. I need you there in my life; and I want you more than ever now that you're having my baby. I've wanted to do this for a really long time now…"

Hermione held her breath as Harry scooted off their chair and knelt before her, "Hermione, will you marry me?"

She bit her lip as the tears pooled in her eyes. Moments passed as she stared down at the moment she had ironically wished to happen only a few hours earlier. She didn't remember moving, but Harry smiled as she nodded her head in approval.

Harry couldn't help but jump up and go for her lips. Hermione kissed him back just as zealously, before he deliberately pulled away and plucked the ring from its box.

A grin broke out on both of their faces as Harry slid the ring onto her left hand. Hermione could only marvel in its beauty and perfect fit, but didn't have much time to because Harry soon leaned back in for another kiss.

"This is so perfect… I can't believe you said yes," Harry mumbled in between kisses.

Hermione rolled her eyes playfully, "Like I would have said no."

Harry shrugged, "I was still nervous…"

"I can not believe how amazing today has turned out to be," Hermione sighed to herself as Harry crawled back up onto the loveseat and pulled her into him.

"This is by far the best, craziest, coincidental day of my life."

Hermione nodded in agreement, "I've secretly been wanting you to ask me for a really, really long time."

"Are you serious?" Harry asked in a flattered tone. He couldn't believe she'd really wanted to marry him that bad.

Hermione nodded, "Ever since you let it slip that night at the Burrow… it made me regret not going to Sydney with you so much because I realized how bad I loved you and wanted to be with you."

Harry smiled before leaning down and pressing a gentle kiss to her lips, "Well no more regrets. I'm sorry it's taken me so long."

"Harry, you don't have to apologize for anything. Like you said, no regrets."

Harry kissed her temple, "This is perfect timing in my mind."

She nodded, "So how are we going to do this? Before the baby, or after?"

"I don't really care Hermione," Harry shrugged honestly, "As long as I get to marry you- I don't care when or where."

A smile slowly grew on her face until she was full out grinning wickedly. Today really had been the best day of her life. Not only was she going to become a mother, but she was becoming a wife, too. She couldn't believe she'd ever doubted Harry's reaction. This is what they both mutually wanted. It was like their dreams of peace and happiness were finally coming true.

Without even thinking, Hermione pulled Harry's lips back down to hers. There was no where else in the world she'd rather be, besides as close to him as possible.

If Harry was surprised by her vigor, he didn't show it. Instead, he kissed her back just as eagerly while still pulling her closer. Their enthusiasm got to the point where Harry, in old practice, began to shift Hermione's hips towards him and tug up on her leg. Immediately, Hermione knew what he wanted and didn't waste any time in giving it to him. Expertly, she lifted her leg and swung it over Harry's waist so that she was straddling him.

It was definitely a good thing that their balcony was pretty secluded from perverted onlookers, and also that the loveseat bench was quite sturdy, or else Harry would've had some issues as he gently laid Hermione back onto the cushions.

Now hovering over her, one of his hands started to enticingly inch up her stomach, and under her blouse. Just as Hermione was going to start unbuttoning her top herself, Harry's lips suddenly pulled away.

Hermione's eyes popped open and found Harry kneeling in between her legs and giving her a worried look, "Wait- are you sure doing this is okay for the baby?"

Hermione quickly nodded, "The healer said it was fine."

"Yeah?" Harry asked, his tone instantly lighter.

Hermione quirked an eyebrow, "Healthy, even."

"Healthy? Well… I would do anything for your health…"

Hermione grinned as he settled back over her. Affectionately, she swept his hair back, away from his eyes, "I love you, Harry."

With a tender smile, Harry softly kissed her cheek, "I love you too, Hermione."

"Completely?"

Harry nodded, "Completely."

---

This is the sweetest little piece of fan-fiction I've ever written… I can't wait to get back to my gritty angst, lol!

Please, please, please review on your way out!