Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Match by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Match

lilymione1203

A/N: This is just a little one shot I did late one night when I had time. My other fic, "Lives Intertwined", is still in the pre-Hogwarts stage and I wanted to write something romantic, 'cuz it'll be a while before I get to this part! I plan to do a few more one-shots because those are my favorite. I may incorporate some of them into my James/Lily 'saga', but I'd like to know what you think! Please read and review!

The Match

Somehow he was different this year. I can't put my finger on it, but something has definitely changed. Without realizing it I stared at him, his disheveled hair falling gracefully into his large hazel eyes. My forehead began to hurt from the pressure exerted by my furrowed brow, and I was suddenly aware of my intent gazing at the boy- man? -before me. Unfortunately I had been caught.

James Potter looked up from his scrambled eggs and glanced in my direction, quickly turning his head a bit more fervently to catch a double take. He cocked his brow, and the corner of his mouth slid upward in a smirk he did a horrible job of trying to conceal. He tilted his head upward, his golden frames glinting in the morning light, and mouthed, "Hi."

For some reason my cheeks turned the color of my hair and I quickly averted his gaze. I shot him a sideways glance and (for reasons I do not yet know) decided to return the greeting.

"Hi," I mouthed back as I cupped my chin in my hand, resting my elbow on the table.

"How are you?" he said silently, his mouth exaggerating every syllable.

"Fine, thanks," I whispered with a dazzling smile. What I hoped was dazzling anyway.

Apparently I was not the only one watching this charade, because a very disgruntled Alice began waving her hand in front of my face.

"Hello? HELLO? EARTH TO LILY. What exactly are you doing?" the brunette to my right asked with rapidly blinking eyes.

"Oh! Well, uh, I was just….nothing." Was it possible for my cheeks to become an even deeper shade of red?

" I know what she was doing," my friend Dorcas said in a sing-song voice, "and I cannot believe you, of all people, were doing it." She added with a triumphant smirk, her eyes alight with laughter through her pearly frames.

"I don't know what any of you are going on about, I was just-" but I was cut off by a quaint thunk in my porridge.

I looked down to find a paper swan swimming figure-eights in my "would-be" breakfast. I quickly glanced down the table to find the culprit: three snickering boys seated around another one with his elbow in his eggs, trying to ruffle his hair.

What I once would've thought was utterly pathetic, I suddenly found very…cute. I delicately picked up the graceful bird as the trio erupted with laughter, obviously at the fourth member's realization of his appendage in his plate.

I daintily opened the corner of the wing and slowly unfolded the ashen parchment.

'Fancy a walk about the lake?'

I had expected to see 'Will you go out with me' as I had read countless times before, but was mildly surprised at this new letter. Well I suppose it's not really a letter, but you catch my drift.

"Well?" Three sets of eyes were on me now, all gazing rather intently. By this time Marlene had joined the table, the other two apparently having "filled her in."

Dorcas was twirling a relatively long strand of flaxen blond hair around her finger, while Alice looked as if her eyes were about to bulge out of her head. Marlene seemed rather bored, lids drooped and head-in-hand, but her brow was cocked in an expression of mild interest. I cleared my throat and lifted my chin, looking down at the threesome, and spoke in my most authoritative voice.

"Official Heads' business. I've got a very important meeting to attend to," which wasn't entirely untrue.

I don't know why I did it. I still don't to this very day. But I went.

I rose from the table and turned on my heel, hearing a rather loud "Hmmmp!" behind me coming from Alice's direction. Head held high, I strolled out of the Great Hall (looking very business-like in my opinion) and headed for the tall oak front doors.

How did he get here so fast? Already waiting for me was a very anxious-looking James, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet and wearing the widest grin you've ever seen.

"Care for a stroll?" he asked with hazel eyes open wide, gesturing broadly toward the door.

I studied his handsome features; I've told the girls for years he wasn't that good looking, but I really wanted to eat my words. He was that good looking. His skin was a light bronze, tanned from a summer of quidditch I'm sure, and I don't remember him being quite that tall before. He looked down at me with smiling eyes, so close I could see the flecks of jade and gold sprinkled in the brown. His muscled arms pointed at the solid oak before us, and I noticed how broad his shoulders were. His jet black hair was still messy, but didn't really bother me as it had for six years before.

Apparently all this 'observing' took quite some time, because James' smile began to falter and his eyes took on a look inquiry and- was that hurt?

"Oh! Sorry, yes?" I babbled like an idiot. As he opened the door I realized how utterly stupid we must've looked; him standing there for Merlin knows how long with arms poking out at the entrance and me with eyes glazed over staring at him blankly- looking James over with green eyes full of lust. I'm surprised I didn't simply burst into flames, as hot as my cheeks felt at the moment.

Fortunately I don't think James noticed, because he immediately regained his composure and confidently stepped out onto the lawn. He slowed his gait for me to catch up, my short little legs hurrying in his wake. We found a comfortable pace and walked in silence, watching the beams of morning sun sparkle atop the placid water. Our arms brushed once or twice, sending a wave of electric current coursing throughout my body.

Why do I feel this way? I don't like him! I can't like him! He's so arrogant and cheeky and lazy and pompous and handsome and sweet and athletic and charming… No! I can't feel this way about him.

But deep down I know I do.

I thought back to the House Cup last year, the memory still fresh in my mind:

…………………………………………………………..(this segment is a flashback)…………………………………………………………

I watched the roaring crowd around me, clad in everything gold and scarlet. I saw the tiny airborne players whizzing by, zooming around the pitch in a heated match of whit and skill. The one I sought was not the one I should have seeked, but I did it anyway. I should have sought the seeker, but my heart wanted to keep up with the chase. So I sought a chaser instead.

"Looking for someone?" a voice whispered in my ear from behind.

"Remus!" I whipped around and swat him on the arm, my red hair fanning out behind me. The sandy-haired boy chuckled and looked at me with smiling eyes, softening the piercing blue.

"No," I added defiantly, slightly shaking my head from side to side. I averted his gaze, trying to sound convincing, but to whom I no longer knew.

"I think you are," he said with a mysterious grin. Oh how I hate that look. That all-knowing smirk. Remus knows me better than anybody- better than Alice, better than myself. And when he knows something's up, he knows something's up.

Remus and I had been close friends ever since our fifth year. As the two Gryffindor prefects, it was natural to get to know one another on the long, boring patrols. Not to mention we had many of the same electives, and he was in the library nearly as much as I was. For some reason nothing romantic ever developed between Remus and myself, or if it did I never noticed. I don't even know if my group of friends and his marauders even know we're as close as we are.

Well maybe Peter, but I always seem to forget he's there…

"Oh, there's Benjy. Hi!" I waved wildly, bouncing up and down in false excitement as a boy wearing bright yellow robes suddenly swooped by the stands and threw me a wave, accompanied by a stunning white smile. He had light brown hair and deep blue eyes, and was known as the 'heart-throb' Hufflepuff seeker- Benjy Fenwick.

I sheepishly turned back to Remus and gave him an extremely fake smile. I tried to give a genuine one, I really did, but my face muscles just didn't want to work that day. I was trapped.

"No, not him," he said in undulating tone, glancing upward and toward the left.

I followed his gaze and landed on exactly what I had been after in the first place. James.

"Remus! What are you going on about? Didn't you hear Benjy asked me to the last Hogsmeade weekend this year?"

"Yes."

"Well then yo-"

"And you didn't reply."

I froze on the spot. How did he know that? All the buzz was that I had said yes. Correction: assumed I had said yes. Apparently this was a topic of deep discussion within the marauder circle. Or was it square? There are four of them. Anyway, what's it to him I hadn't said yes. I was going to, wasn't I?

"Well he's going to get his answer after the match today. Happy?"

"I am if you are."

"Goo-"

"But you're not."

"Ugh! And what makes you say that?"

"He's changed, Lily."

"What? I do not know to whom you are refe-"

"Come off it, Lily, don't play dumb. He's changed and he did it for you. And you like it," he said with a smirk.

Okay. So I knew exactly who he was talking about. James had changed. He more than made up for 'the incident' after our O.W.L.s. He no longer hexed Slytherins in the corridors or set off dungbombs in the common room. He's completely left Snape alone, even when I would've wanted to send a bat bogey or two his way. I've even seen him studying- without a marauder in sight. He stopped asking me out every other breath and it's actually driving me somewhat crazy.

Benjy and I have been on and off for several years now. Completely non-serious, just a Slughorn party or two and we doubled with Alice and Frank-before Frank graduated. He's absolutely perfect in every single way, but for some reason that's just not what I'm looking for. And Remus knows it.

"Remus…" I gave him a pleading look and bit my lip, hoping he'd find pity on me. I've heard I look quite cute when I do it, who is Remus to resist?

All of a sudden cheers erupted all around us and the crowd was on its feet (if they weren't already). Sirius' voice came booming over the pitch "THE SNITCH HAS BEEN SIGHTED! THE SNITCH HAS BEEN SIGHTED! IT'S DEARBORN AND FENWICK, NECK AND NECK, RACING FOR THE GOLDEN TICKET. DOWN THEY GO, BROOMS CLASHING, THEY'RE FORTY FEET FROM THE GROUND! THIRTY FEET, TWENTY FEET, TEN FEET, MERLIN'S BEARD IT'S GONNA BE CLOSE!"

The crowd collectively held its breath, waiting on tenterhooks to see if the two would crash into the ground below. Complete silence filled the stadium as both brooms collided and two figures tumbled across the dirt, finally coming to a screeching halt. There was a huge gasp and the right side of the pitch exploded with roaring applause. Banners were waved and flags were brandished about as a sea of black and yellow stormed the field.

Benjy caught the snitch.

I should've been happy. I really should have. I looked down to see my 'date' hop triumphantly back on his broom and begin his victory lap, gracefully weaving in and out of the elegant hoops, looming in the distance. I watched as Gryffindor landed in defeat, heads down and shoulders hunched, slowly trudging their way toward the locker rooms. I saw James staring at the ground, his team leaving him behind in his despair.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder and Remus whispered in my ear, "I think now is the time to tell him."

At the time I thought he meant tell Benjy my answer. I assumed he was talking about me running down to the pitch and making Benjy's day- by getting the cup and the girl. Perfect ending to the perfect story for the perfect boy.

What I realize now that I didn't know then, was that Remus was telling me to do exactly what I ended up doing, and I didn't even know it.

Sidling my way through the fervent crowd, I came across a beaming Benjy surrounded by his teammates, all fighting to touch a piece of the glinting cup. James was standing off to the side, knowing what I was about to do, and watched me with haunted eyes. He looked so helpless, so sad, so alone. After what seemed like hours, I finally reached Benjy, who grabbed me up in his arms, twirled me about, and set me down in a group of cheering Hufflepuffs.

"So, Lily, what do you say, yeah?"

The sea of black and yellow turned to me with widened eyes and smiling faces, waiting with baited breath. My bright green eyes locked with James' darkened hazel, and I slowly exhaled the breath I wasn't even aware I was holding.

My eyes never left his, and I quietly told my suitor, "I'm sorry Benjy, I can't go with you to Hogsmeade. I have a prior engagement." And I turned and left the crowd in total silence, never looking back.

………………………………………………………………….(end flashback)………………………………………………………………………

James' arm kept twitching beside me, causing me to furrow my brows in confusion. I think he couldn't decide whether or not to try and hold my hand. A small smile spread across my lips and I quickly solved the dilemma.

I slipped my tiny hand in his, feeling the calluses on his palms and the warmth of his fingertips. He looked down at me and I couldn't help but blush, but I noticed his cheeks were just as flushed as mine. A few other couples were strewn across the lawn, some surely behind "the kissing tree" as Dorcas liked to call it.

Before we knew it we had reached the edge of the lake, and low and behold, there was Benjy with Gwendolyn Bones-lounging against the infamous beech tree. He saw us holding hands, and his gorgeous face screwed into a very unattractive one, right before storming off and leaving a very confused Gwendolyn behind.

She looked at James and me with an expression of utmost bewilderment, her curly blond hair bouncing about her head as she shook it in disbelief. Her blue eyes wide she shrugged at us and awkwardly stumbled into a standing position before taking off after Benjy.

"I guess Mr. Perfect got his knickers in a twist."

I snickered at James' commentary and his face broke into a grin. When the laughter died down we stood in silence, listening to the giant squid splash a tentacle or two against the surface.

"Would you still rather go out with him than me?" he said, jerking his head toward the lake, brows raised in inquiry.

"Well he's never asked me."

James chuckled at this and replied, "I know someone else who's lost to the squid. I think he couldn't stand to have all three of you in the same vicinity. That's why he left."

I absolutely died laughing at this, clutching my sides for support. When I finally came to, I noticed somehow both my hands ended up in James'. Both of us were smiling broadly and we were suddenly face to face. The grins slowly slid off our faces, and I gazed up into his sparkling eyes.

"Unless you're referring to yourself as the giant squid, then that's not who he lost to."

James' mouth was on mine so fast you couldn't say quidditch. I felt his warm lips press against mine and felt his hands grab my waist, pulling me close. I tangled my hands in his hair, and deepened the kiss, tilting my head and pressing us closer together. It was pure and utter bliss.

After mere minutes of beautiful passion, we broke apart and stared into each other's eyes, never wanting to look away. We lazily made our way back to the castle, swinging our clasped hands back and forth with each step. Benjy may have won the game, but James won the match.