Unofficial Portkey Archive

She Looked at Me by lilymione1203
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

She Looked at Me

lilymione1203

She Looked at Me

She looked at me.

She never looks at me. But she did today. There I was, sitting in my usual window seat, actually minding my own business- and she looked at me. And get this, on purpose.

It was a normal September day; I was staring languidly out the window, watching the golden leaves drift gently in the breeze, tuning out McGonagall as she (yet again) went over the less than excitable properties of tea cups. I leaned back in my chair, balancing on two legs, and saw the first years stumble out on the lawn, bumping into one another as they scrambled for their brooms. Ah, the first flying lesson. I remember those days. Amateurs.

My hand reached for the back of my jet-black head to ruffle my already tangled hair; what was once an attention mechanism was now done out of habit. My hair's been a right mess since the day I was born, why fight it? Embrace what you've got I always say. And go after what you don't.

Bringing me back to my original discovery. The look.

Again, my hazel eyes were glued to the window, watching the pathetic firsties bark at the ancient brooms, when something caught the corner of my eye. She was watching me. I wasn't certain so I snapped my head in her direction, but it was like frightening a deer with the snap of a twig underfoot.

She looked away.

So I took up where she left off. I watched her bring her hand up to the back of her neck, which looked as strawberry red as her long silky hair. Was the lady…embarrassed? Oh I am definitely going to take advantage of this.

I couldn't help but smirk. My head was in the clouds and you could've offered me a million-galleon contract with the Wasps and I wouldn't have responded. I don't know how much time had passed since 'the look,' but apparently she simply couldn't resist, because before I knew it she was at it again. But why was everyone else?

"MR. POTTER! Would you KINDLY answer my question, for the third time?"

Uh-oh.

"Er-sure, professer. Erm-"

I looked down at my parchment, wildly searching for any indication of an answer, only to find tiny JP and LE's scribbled everywhere. What can I say? I like art.

Sirius, who was snickering madly to my right, quickly shoved a crumpled piece of parchment under my nose and hastily turned his head, covering his face in hand. Yeah, that's not obvious. Good job, mate. Desperate for answers, I ripped open the wrinkled parchment and read the contents aloud:

"Dragon bogies"

The class erupted with laughter, but McGonagall did not seem at all amused. The elderly witch rolled her eyes and sighed, pursing her lips before giving a sure-to-be degrading response.

"No, Potter, I'm afraid one of the materials comprising tea kettles is not 'dragon bogies', and you can thank Mr. Black for his more-than-sophisticated contribution after class. For now, however, why don't you read for us what is written on your parchment?"

Today is just not my day. Why didn't I sit by Remus? At least he would've given me a more plausible answer. Well, if you're gonna go down, go down big.

I stood up proudly, spreading my feet apart and rotating my shoulders. I took a deep breath, tilting my head from side to side and adjusted my golden frames in a very business-like manner. I held my parchment straight out in front of me, stiff with importance, and loudly cleared my throat. Here we go.

"A-hem. I, James Alberic Potter, Head Boy of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, love with my whole entire heart, the beautiful and perfect Miss Lily Marie Evans, Goddess and Head Girl of said school."

The room was completely void of movement, so still you could've heard a quill drop. Suddenly a collective "Awwwwwwwwwwwww" filled with longing sighs rose harmoniously from a chorus of female voices. I looked at the girl in question, whose head was buried in her arms, red hair fanned all around her on the desk. If I thought her neck was red before I'd hate to see it now.

The bell rang for dismissal and the shuffle of students gathering their things commenced. Sirius clapped a hand to my shoulder, shook his head in pity, and left without a word. Now you're at a loss for words? Thanks a lot, Padfoot. What would I do without you.

The room cleared fairly quickly and all that remained was her (and myself of course). Even McGonagall had left, doesn't she have another class? I began packing my books and was taken aback by a startling pair of vibrant green eyes, staring up at me from between my frozen arms.

"Why do you say those things?" was all she said. It was not an accusatory voice, but a voice laden with general interest and concern.

"You looked at me." Why I said this, I do not know.

"I looked at you?"

"Yeah, you looked at me. It's about time you returned the favor."

"What makes you think I was looking at you?"

"Because you were."

"And what on Earth gives you that idea?" She was trying to be stern with me, but I could tell she was being cheeky. Was Lily Evans, dare I say it, flirting with me?

"Well let's see here. The lesson was at the front of the room, and you were clearly focusing on the devilishly handsome gentleman behind you-"

"But Sirius and I are only friends"

Cute. Real cute.

"Well how come when I spotted you 'looking at Sirius' you immediately turned away?" I have you now, you little witch…

"I don't have the faintest idea what you're talki-"

"Cos you got caught," I said with a grin.

She took a few steps closer, and I felt myself being drawn to her like a magnet. An unstoppable outside force was pushing us together, and I couldn't stop it even if I tried. And I didn't want to.

Our bodies were mere centimeters apart- I could feel the warmth of her breath on my chest. She looked up at me with sparkling gems, her fingertips gently tracing my muscled arms. I held my breath and softly touched a strand of scarlet locks that trailed her back, feeling the smoothness between my fingers. Our eyes locked and my heart began to palpitate, fiercely beating against my ribcage as if trying to escape.

"Maybe I wanted to get caught…"

Her hand found its way into mine and the other pressed against my chest, surely feeling the rapid beating of my heart. She slowly rose on the balls of her feet and slightly lifted her chin, coming closer and closer til her eyelashes batted against mine.

Then I felt it. An electrical surge coursed through my body as our lips touched. I didn't register what was actually happening until about forty-three seconds in, and then the feeling came rushing back to my head like a wave crashing down on the shore.

I kissed her back with every ounce of strength I had in my body. I pulled her figure close to mine and wrapped my hands around her tiny waist as she tousled her delicate hands in my thick messy hair. Her pouty lips parted and my tongue searched the perimeter, requesting for entry. Our tongues wrestled for dominance and I felt her whimper with pleasure.

After what seemed like hours, we finally broke apart- smiling, flushed, and breathless. I honestly tried to conceal my grin, but I just couldn't help it. You don't know how long I've wanted to do that.

We stood in silence, watching each other grin stupidly at the other. I wanted to be cool and suave, I really did, but the cheeky prat in me came out instead.

"If I'd have known that was what you wanted every time you looked at me, I would've started paying much more attention years ago." I said with a wink, re-ruffling my hair in the process.

The corner of her mouth lifted in to a smirk and she replied without missing a beat:

"Well maybe you finally gave me something worth looking at."

And I grabbed her up in my arms and finished what she started, and she looked at me from that day on forever more.

A/N: Just a cute little ficlet I wrote one afternoon. I wanted to try out James' point of view and I love Sirius ever so much. I've gotta slip him in somewhere! Please read and review, hope you enjoyed!