Unofficial Portkey Archive

Convincing Ronald by Catark
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Convincing Ronald

Catark

Convincing Ronald

A/N: stared out as a short cookie but grew slightly to a ficlet.

Ron pushed open the portrait and stumbled out of the hole into the dark corridor. It was after midnight and Ron knew he would probably receive a week's detention if he was caught out this time of night, but the sight that had he had witness in the common room had left him little choice but to flee for his life.

Ron had woken up fully clothed with a book covering his face. He had fallen asleep studying for his upcoming N.E.W.T.s. Ron had quickly thrown off the book and staggered out of bed to change his clothes. It was then that he looked over and noticed that Harry's bed was empty.

Ron figured Harry had either fallen asleep in the common room studying, or was down there acting like the tragic hero he was and brooding. Ron being a good friend, decided that it was his duty as the loyal sidekick to either wake him up to go to bed, or to lighten his mood by his witty banter. Either would require Ron to go down to the common room, so that's what he proceeded to do.

Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs he walked over to the fireplace that still held flickers of the dying fire, and expected to find Harry there. And he did indeed find Harry there just as he thought. Only he had something attached to him, well actually it was someone. Harry Potter was up at midnight snogging a girl.

Ron felt his eyebrows go up as a smirk came to his face. He was about to turn around and head up to his dorm to get some sleep. He figured he could press Harry for the details later. Just as he went to quietly turn, Harry's position changed and his snogging partner was in full view. Ron felt his mouth fall open and his eyes go wide. The girl attached to Harry's lips was no other than his other best friend Hermione Granger.

Ron's memory was a little fuzzy after that. All he knew is that he had to get out of there and fast. Instead of turning for the stairs, he made a beeline for the portrait hole. Now he found himself out in the darkness walking towards he knew not where. As he walked the dark halls his mind kept going back to the scene in the common room.. Harry and Hermione, doing ….that.

It didn't bother him, per say, in a romantic way. His crush for Hermione had long ended and she was more like an annoying older sister. It was just it was Harry, his best friend and almost his brother ,and Hermione is other best friend and almost sister and they were…. Ron shuddered thinking about it. He had never really imagined them doing something like that together.

Ron walked on for a while, but his mind was abuzz and he hardly noticed the distance he was covering. Before he knew it he found himself in the trophy room. Ron looked around a while and tried to focus on the different plaques surrounding him.. He tried to think of anything but of what he had just witnessed in the common room.

This tactic almost worked until his eyes laid upon the plaque that bared his name for a Special Services for the School award. His mind went from that to his second year to the chamber to Harry to Hermione to Harry and Hermione and ….. Ron shook his head, he had to get out of there. He turned around quickly and tried to walk to the other end when he tripped over something.

Ron cursed rather loudly as he his the hard floor, yet he fell silent as the something he had just tripped over made a soft sound.

"Oh dear," said the object Ron had tripped over .

That voice, Ron knew that voice. Ron sat up and turned around, taking his wand out of his pocket. He lit it and the narrow beam of light fell upon a blonde girl groping around in the darkness.

"Luna?"

"Hmm?" said Luna looking Ron's way. "Oh, Ronald, someone has seemed to knock my wand out of my hand. I suppose that was you."

"Oh yea, sorry about that," said Ron moving his wand to send the beam around the floor in a search for Luna's wand. "It must have rolled somewhere. I'll help you look."

Luna discarded the magazine she was reading and went on her hands and knees as Ron got in the same position holding his wand up. The two crawled close to each other searching with their eyes and hands.

"What are you doing here anyway?" asked Ron.

"Reading of course," said Luna.

"Reading, here? Why don't you just use your common room?"

"It's always full these days, no chance to concentrate. One needs up most concentration to study the mating habits of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack."

"Oh, yes of course ," said Ron as he continued searching for Luna's wand.

"No one usually comes here at night, so it's a nice place to read."

"Sorry I disturbed you then."

"It's all right, I was about to leave anyway," Luna sighed. "I suppose its after midnight and the common room will be almost empty now.

"At least yours will be," muttered Ron.

"Oh, did you flee because Gryffindor was crowded as well?" asked Luna turning to look at Ron.

"Well, lets just say two's company three's a crowd."

Luna gave Ron an odd look but didn't say anything.

"Oh well, this seems hopeless. I can just come back to tomorrow and look," said Luna sitting up.

"We don't have to give up yet. I don't mind looking," said Ron.

"You really don't want to go back, do you?"

"What? Can't I just be a nice guy who is trying to help you out?" asked Ron looking at Luna who had both eyebrows raised even more highly than usual. "Ok, fine I don't want to go back."

"Why?" asked Luna.

"I suppose you could say its complicated."

"Complicated how?"

"Just complicated, its hard for me to explain. It would be hard for you to understand," said Ron sitting up as well next to Luna.

"Hard for me to understand? Are you sure? I am in Ravenclaw you know."

Ron breathed heavily and shook his head.

"I just don't know where to begin, or even if I should. I mean, its just…well, I walked in on two people, and they were…"

"They were what?" asked Luna, wide eyed.

"They were, well you, know, doing the Astronomy Tower Tongue tango," said Ron going red.

"Oh, that, and you got embarrassed because they saw you?"

"No, they didn't see me. It was just because of who it was."

"Oh," said Luna as she lapsed into a thoughtful silence. "Was it Harry and Hermione?" asked Luna after several seconds.

"What? How did you know?" asked Ron, shocked.

"I said this place was usually deserted , not always deserted. They were here the other night," said Luna.

"You mean they've been doing this for a while?" asked Ron still shocked.

"I suppose so. I mean I know they've liked each other since the beginning of the year. I'm not sure when they've actually started doing that though."

"I can't believe this. I'm not sure I can breathe," said Ron massaging his chest.

"If you can talk you can breathe, Ronald. And why does this bother you?"

"Well, its them! I mean it's Harry and Hermione. They're like my best friends! It's just weird," said Ron.

"Why?" asked Luna simply.

"Why? Because we've all been friends forever. I mean I can't imagine kissing Hermione, not now anyway."

"But you aren't Harry, Ronald. Perhaps its not so strange for him."

"I don't see how. I mean she's Hermione his best friend."

"So I guess it seems strange for you because they've been friends for so long?" asked Luna scooting closer to Ron.

"Yea, I guess that's it," said Ron.

"Can I ask you something, Ronald?"

"I guess."

"Am I you're friend?"

"Of course, Luna. I mean I know I haven't always been really nice to you, but we've been through a lot together these past two years. I think of you as a friend if that's ok," said Ron thoughtfully.

"Yes, it is ok."

"Good," said Ron grinning.

"Ronald?"

"Yes , Luna?" asked Ron still smiling at her.

But, instead of asking another question, Luna kissed Ron fully on the lips. Ron's eyes got wide as it took a moment to realize what was happening. Luna Lovegood was kissing him and while it was strange , it wasn't so bad. Any further thought was obstructed as Ron felt himself settle into the kiss. His eyes closed and his hands went into her hair, pulling her closer. After a nice long kiss, Luna pulled back, a slight smile on her face as Ron's eyes were still closed and his mouth still puckered up.

"Ronald?" asked Luna quietly.

"Hmm?" said Ron dumbly as he opened his eyes.

"Was that strange for you?"

Ron shook his head slightly, "Yea a little."

"Oh, " said Luna looking a little disappointed.

"But, not in a bad way," said Ron quickly. "Not in a bad way at all."

Luna smiled , "Then perhaps it's the same with Harry and Hermione."

"Who? Oh, them," said Ron. "Yea perhaps, but Luna?"

"Yes, Ronald,?"

This time Ron answered with a kiss. Several minutes and kisses later the two stood up. Ron walked with Luna unitl it came to where their paths would split.

"I suppose Harry and Hemrione might still be in there," said Luna looking at her watch.

"Perhaps, but it doesn't matter anymore."

"Oh? And what's changed?" asked Luna.

"Let's just say you were very convincing," said Ron as he kissed Luna on the cheek.