Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dirty little Secret by Dead On Impact
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dirty little Secret

Dead On Impact

Disclaimer: I don't own anything that you recognise - just the plot =]

A/N: Another Harry/Hermione… I should say that this isn't one of those `spoilt Harry Potter falls for plain-Jane Granger who changes him into a better person' fics. I can't tell you what it is without ruining the plot so I suggest you read on! It's a slow starter though, so you won't see where it's going until about chapter…five.


Extra Notes (Things you need to know): Hermione will be well in character, if not slightly quieter due to the fact that she and Harry were never friends, and she spent a lot of time on her own. Harry is very OUT OF CHARACTER (for emphasis), because he was brought up by his mum and dad, and is very like his dad. He grew up without having to work for a single thing in his life, and he's used to getting what he wants. So, obviously James and Lily are alive, so are the rest of the Marauders, Voldemort exists, but he isn't a direct threat to Harry (i.e. no prophesy). The Weasleys won't play a big part in this, other than the fact that Ginny is dating Draco, and Harry used to date her back when they were in school. All of this should come to light over the course of this first chapter though, but it'd definitely help if you'd bothered to read this.

Warnings: Strong Language, Mature Scenes, Smoking… Alcohol abuse… (The last ones not really that important)

Song: I Don't Love You by My Chemical Romance

--

Dirty Little Secret

Chapter One: Not What You Thought

The soft breeze drifting across the stately Manor house sitting precariously on the edge of a monumental mountain in the deep south-east of England drug the soft whips of smoke down through the outside of the building to the patio sitting at the back of the house. A woman with long bright dark red hair and startlingly green eyes looked up to the right, her eyes landing on the source, her son, standing out on his balcony with a cigarette to his lips, leaning heavily against the black bars, watching the sea water ripple down below.

She sighed loudly. "I wish you'd talk to him about that, James." She looked to her husband, who sat lounging across the top of a picnic table, a woman with long curly brown hair and cloudy blue eyes sitting at the table with her arms crossed on his stomach.

James flung one arm over his eyes to shield from the late spring sun as it burst out from behind a cloud. "Talk to who about what?"

"Your son about his smoking habits!" She snapped, folding her arms and spinning around to look at him. He yawned and ran both hands through his unruly black hair.

"Calm down, Lils, he's 18; I can't tell him what he can and can't put into his system. If he wants to fuck his body over, let him. He won't do it again, will he?"

A man with sandy blonde hair streaked with the barest glimpses of silver snorted in a near by deck chair from behind his paper. "You have an odd way of looking after your kids, Prongs."

He smiled at his old nickname. "He'll be fine."

Lily Potter glared at him for a full thirty seconds before storming off into the kitchen.

Sirius Black, sitting on the opposite side of the picnic table to the brown haired girl, also sitting with his arms crossed over his mates stomach and his head rested upon them, broke his staring contest with her to laugh loudly, leaning back to clap his hands. "See I knew there was a reason other than complete and utter laziness that he was still in his room at two in the afternoon!" he exclaimed.

The other three people outside looked up to the balcony in unison, with varying stages of curiosity. Remus Lupin, on the deck chair, shook his head and went back to his paper immediately, whereas James shielded his eyes with his hands and lifted his upper body onto his elbow to get a better look while the final, Mary Black (Nee MacDonald), leant back in her seat, hands clutching the table and tilting her head right back to, like James, regain a better view of the scene up above them.

A girl wearing nothing but a barely buttoned up shirt that obviously didn't belong to her had walked up behind James' only son and wrapped her arms around his chest from behind, whispering something in his ear. He took one last puff of the cigarette before flicking it out off of the balcony and turning around to lift her up off of her feet.

James clacked his tongue. "Huh."

Marys cheeks flushed and she looked down to Sirius again, who was smirking to himself. James lay back down again after they'd disappeared back into his room. "Did either of you even see her enter the house?" he asked quietly.

Sirius shrugged. "No, I don't think so."

Mary bit her bottom lip. "Is that a different girl to the one he was out with on Saturday?"

James hummed. "Why? Is that something else I need to talk to him about? The fact that he hasn't actually dated a girl for more than a couple of week since he was fourteen?"

Sirius shook his head. "Nah, mate. I was like that `til me and Mary got together before graduation."

"Yeah but you two were younger than him then…" James sighed. "I dunno if I should be worried or not. On the one hand, he's only 18, but on the other…well I'm just worried that he's not going to ever at least try and settle with someone… Lily and I where married when we where his age, you two where engaged, and Moony over there was on his fourth year dating Dorcas Meadows, you remember her."

The Daily Prophet in Remus' hands rustled as he noticeably winced at the mention of his deceased ex-girlfriend.

"He'll be alright, James." Said Mary. "I'm telling you know, out there, there is a girl who can take him for who he is, and love him no matter what, and he's gonna do anything to keep her by his side."

--

It didn't exactly come as a shock to Hermione Granger when Luna Lovegood, her kooky best friend, came to her with the news of the `famous Harry Potter' supposedly being in the building, ready for a meeting with the head of the Auror Department.

He'd been acting out in the Auror Academy again, and wasn't immune to the consequences despite his heritage. He was James Potters only son, the most influential billionaire in the Wizarding World. He was at the top of the ranks in the Auror Department, though he refused placement as the Head of Department, and owned several businesses and shares across the country. He was also known for being the lead in the search for Lord Voldemort.

Harry, being his only heir, had grown up getting everything and anything he wanted, living the life of luxury, never having to work for a single thing in his life, which was why he didn't quite fit in at the Academy. He didn't like being told what to do. This bothered Hermione because she was usually the one who had to do the lengthy paperwork that righted what he'd done, and set him his punishment. Then she'd send it off to the Head of Department, who'd double check it and have it delivered to the Head of the Auror Department, where it would be given to Harry Potter in person while he was being lectured on proper conduct.

Only today was different. Today, Harry Potter came to DMLE himself, right to her office. He leant against the doorframe with that trademark smirk plastered across his face, green eyes sparkling with mischief. This was the first time she'd seen him in person in three years.

"Hello Miss…" he looked at the name on the open door opposite him. "Granger. I do believe you have my papers."

"I - Yes, of course, just… sign here." She stood, and held out a quill as she flipped to the correct page and turned it to face him.

He plucked it from her fingers and scrawled a messy `Harry Potter' on the dotted line. "Is that it? Or do I have to get shouted at by you as well?"

"No, Mr Potter. You can take those and go." She said sharply.

He smiled at her and handed her the quill, picking up the stack of papers. "See you then, Granger." He was on his way out of he door when he stopped for a moment and frowned, turning to look at her curiously, head tilted slightly to the right. "Have we met before? I could have sworn I've seen you before."

She willed herself not to blush with embarrassment. At least he acknowledged that they knew each other. "I was in your year at Hogwarts School. A Ravenclaw. Hermione Granger."

He continued to frown, brow crinkling as he thought hard, trying to remember. Then he relaxed slowly, a grin spreading out across his handsome face. "You were top of the class, very quiet, really frizzy hair, always had it back. That's why I didn't recognise you." He pointed at her hair, and she touched it nervously as he looked her up and down appraisingly.

She wore her hair down mostly these days, now that it had calmed down a bit and was left in loose ringlets… so long as it wasn't humid. Feeling slightly uncomfortable under his gaze, she sat back down in her chair, but, to her dismay, he pulled up a chair opposite her.

"You've changed a lot since then…" he commented. "You know I never saw you in 7th year."

It was almost a question, and she conceded, closing her eyes. "I graduated a year early, taking my NEWTs at the end of my 6th year. Professor Dumbledore thought be capable enough, and my test scores had caught the attention of the Ministry. They offered me a job here when I graduated, and he helped me along."

"Right." He said slowly, still looking her over as if searching for something. Then he held out his hand across her desk. "So Hi, Hermione, I don't believe we were ever properly introduced. I'm Harry Potter."

She smiled weakly, shaking his hand. "I know who you are, Mr Potter."

He flashed her a bright smile, trying to loosen her up. "Oh, come on! Call me Harry."

She nodded. "Of course, if you want." She could feel her cheeks heating up.

He went quiet for a moment. "So… I'd quite like to get to know you a bit more, Hermione Granger. How about dinner with me, tonight."

It wasn't a question. "You mean like a…" she didn't want to seem forward enough to assume that he meant a date.

He stood up and leaned across the desk. "Yeah." He whispered as if it was a secret. "Like a date." He straightened up, and pocketed the papers. "So what time do you get off?"

"Half Six."

"Right. I'll pick you up outside the building at half past then!" he said cheerily.

She blinked at him helplessly. "Right after… but I need to change or something, surely."

"No, you'll be fine. I'll see you then."

And then he was gone, leaving Hermione to try and process what had just happened.

--

Hermione hadn't been sure what she had expected of him to begin with, but whatever it was she was wrong. He was charming and caring, if not slightly arrogant. He'd been the perfect gentleman throughout, which she definitely couldn't have anticipated, not after dealing with his Auror paperwork for so long. Some of the things he'd done where just plain horrible.

He was all the things a sole heir to a well known wizarding family should be, polite, sharp and confident. But he was also rather cheeky, condescending and unruly. He contradicted himself on so many levels that it made her dizzy just being around him. He seemed to be a direct split between muggle and wizard. He was a powerful man, but he also drove a car. He was one of the most well known faces in the Wizarding world, and while he basked in the glory of it, he liked to eat in muggle restaurants, away from the fuss.

He knew about everything she would talk about pertaining to her muggle heritage, and yet somehow knew more than she did about the wizarding world. All of this made sense, of course, when he explained that he had a muggle-born mother. Lily Potter. She was supposedly very kind, and motherly, but also strict with her rules and very precise.

He'd blown her away with secrets of the world she'd thought she had came accustomed to 8 years ago, and made her completely forget that she was supposed to be this reserved, quiet little bookworm who didn't date, or do anything other than befriend guys because she wanted to concentrate on her work.

She'd only just started to get to know him properly a few hours previous and yet she could already feel herself being pulled in. He made her laugh so hard she cried and completely understood her. She'd never met anyone who could do that before.

After dinner they'd walked out toward the pier, and she'd been completely at ease, her original awkwardness at the fact that they barely knew each other but where venturing out on a date gone. Harrys hand dropped to her lower back as they stood and watched the Thames ripple ahead of them. "So, what do you think of me so far?" he asked, charming grin in place.

She turned to face him, leaning against the bars. "I think you're incredibly full of yourself." She said simply.

He raised his eyebrows. "Well don't hold back."

She almost blushed. "What I mean is that you're so sure and arrogant… but you're also charming, and lovely."

"Lovely?" his lips twitched and she shoved him slightly.

"I can't think of the right word."

"Right. But it wasn't a complete disaster?" he asked quietly.

"No." she looked up at him, feeling compelled to keep her voice down even though everything around them was so loud.

"Good. I'd hate to think I made a fool of myself."

She laughed. "I'm sure you did that anyway."

He grinned. "Sure I did." He said sarcastically.

She chose this moment to glance down idly at her watch, and saw that it was well past 10. Her stomach jumped into her throat in panic. "Oh! I'm sorry! I was supposed to go see my parents at 8! I need to go." She turned, and was about to apparate away when he grabbed her arm and bent down to kiss her.

She squeaked in surprise, her hands gripping his upper arms tightly as his lips pressed gently into hers. It didn't take long for her to let herself relax into it, kissing him back tentatively, giving him incentive to kiss her harder, with more emotion, and she felt herself go weak at the knees. He pulled back, arms having appeared at her hips. "You still want to leave?" he asked huskily.

Her mind was blank, and it took a while to clear the fog. "I have to - my parents…" she said unhelpfully.

He didn't say anything, his green eyes boring into hers. She couldn't bring herself to say anything else, chest heaving, and her eyes half closed. She shook her head. "I need to go. I feel guilty enough as it is." She put her hands on his shoulders, pushing him back with a smirk she was sure she had never pulled before. "And besides, this is only the first date, Mr Potter. Plenty of time for that later."

Then she apparated away, feeling a lot more confident about their relationship than she had that morning.

--

Harry was back home early by his parents standards. He didn't try to sneak in, walking straight into the main living room. James raised his eyebrows at his son. "You're back early."

"Am I?"

"Well it's half past 10."

Harry shrugged. "I was on a date with this girl from the DMLE; she had to go see her parents."

Sirius frowned. "What happened to Cho Chang?"

"We broke up on Tuesday." He said, sitting on the arm of James' chair

"And this girl would be…?"

"Hermione Granger, she was in my year in school, really smart. Pretty."

"Doesn't seem like your type." Commented James with a small smile.

An identical smile spread across Harrys face. "She's slowly becoming my `type'. You'd like her - she's all responsible and doesn't like to break the rules."

James laughed. "Oh yeah? You'll have fun with her then."

Harry stood up, running both hands through his hair. "Is Draco upstairs?"

Sirius nodded. "Came by looking for you about an hour ago. Says it's important."

He nodded, biting back a yawn as he dragged himself up to the second floor. He found his best friend lying across his bed, legs splayed out and his arms folded behind his head. "What do you want?" he asked bluntly.

Draco snorted. "I'm engaged."

Harry's eyebrows shot up. "Seriously?"

Draco's head lolled to the side, and up, looking over at him. "Yeah… I proposed to Ginny last night."

He sat down on the end of his bed. "And…?"

"Well she said yes, obviously, you prat." He shoved the side of Harry's leg with his foot.

It was then that Harry noticed he was still wearing his shoes. "Oi! Get off!" he pushed him off the bed none to gently.

Draco was on his feet shortly after, looking slightly ruffled, and glaring. "Hey!"

"Don't `hey' me. Keep your shoes off my bed."

He rolled his eyes, sitting back down. "She wants to get married around November time…"

"This year?" he yelped. "That's like 5 months away!"

Draco looked rather pale himself. "Yeah. She's really exited." He let out a small sound akin to a groan.

"So how's you're life?"

"I had a date with Hermione Granger today. You remember her?"

"The mousy bookworm from Ravenclaw?"

Harry blew his hair out of his eyes, shaking his head. "Not anymore. She filled out mate, seriously. And her hairs gone all… smooth."

"Filled out like fat, or…?"

He shook his head again and Draco smirked. "You and Granger then, huh?"

He nodded wordlessly, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. "She's… different, Drake. I've never dated anyone who's actually smarter than I am."

He snorted. "Making you feel beneath her?" then he paused. "Well… by the sounds of things you probably want get beneath her."

Harrys nose scrunched up at the crude joke. "Not funny, Draco. If I ever let you talk to her, you're not allowed to do that." He stood up and walked across the room, fully intending on having a shower before he went back out again.

He cooed mockingly. "'Let' me talk to her? That serious is it?"

Harry threw his shirt at him from the bathroom door, glaring at him as he disappeared into the other room. "Fuck off."

A/N: I know its not very exiting yet, but it'll get there, promise =] I have a lot planned for this! Reviews would be wonderful, I'm still not to confident on writing this ship. I love them together, but I haven't really tried writing it yet =/ other than that - if you are at all interested, The Beautiful People will be updated tonight, I have stuff to do between now and then!

Oh, and this chapter is unbeta-ed, all mistakes are mine, my beta'll add any corrections later - I'm too exited to wait to post this =]

Let me know what you think!

-Dead On Impact

-->