Unofficial Portkey Archive

Finding the Courage by Where the Story Ends
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Finding the Courage

Where the Story Ends

A/N Hey there this is my first fan fiction ever! I hope you enjoy! I posted it first on fanfiction.net about a year ago. I don't think it's very good, not gonna lie, I used to think it was alright. In hindsight I'd say I tried too hard to make it good, but whatever I've always wanted to post a story here so that's what I'm going to do.

Disclaimer: The HP Book Universe belongs to JK Rowling and JK Rowling alone!

I want to congratulate the Alabama Crimson Tide on a national championship and the Longhorns for a terrific season as well. But mainly I want to say way to go Huskers on a Holiday Bowl victory and #14 finish!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finding the Courage

An unusual sixteen year old boy walked slowly down the deserted corridors. He was too preoccupied in his musings to realize that the hall wasn't as deserted as he believed. He was completely unaware that concerned brown eyes were following him as gazed sullenly at the ground in front of him.

She found the will to make her presence known, stepping not only into his way, but also into her newest and most exciting adventure yet, that of love. Completely engrossed in his ponderings he still didn't notice her; however, that changed abruptly when he bumped into her.

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed, "I didn't see you there!"

"I would have never guessed," she said dryly though sporting a tiny grin.

His eyes scanned their surroundings, not allowing his desires to look at her to win out. If he had allowed himself even a quick glance at her he would have seen the flash of hurt flicker across her now emotionless face. His obvious desperation to escape wounded her, she always wanted him to see her as more, and apparently he didn't want to see her at all today.

She let her determination outplay her usual logic-driven mind set and reached for his hand, hoping for at least a glance her way. Against his better judgment he looked down into her warm eyes, seeking a moment of solace.

"How could we have let this happen?" she asked quietly.

"Let what happen?" He questioned back, feigning ignorance.

"This wall, it came up between us this year. You won't even look at me, we can't talk anymore, and you won't let me in anymore!" She exclaimed, letting her frustration and resentment betray her.

"I, um, well, er…" he stuttered and she cut him off

"Please talk to me, let me know what you're thinking, what you're feeling."

"I can't, I'm not brave enough, and you know I've never been good with words." He deadpanned, deepening her frustration. Seeing her annoyance made him hate himself more than he already did and against his better judgment he spilled his heart and soul into his confession, the truth of which he had been hiding for months. "Fine, I guess I've, well, been distancing myself from you." He paused for a moment looking extremely abashed, he quickly launched back into his monologue when he saw she was about to interrupt. "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Voldemort used you to get to me. I just need you around, even if we're not good friends anymore… as long as it saves your life. Ever since that fiasco at the Department of Mysteries I realized just how much you mean to me. When you were struck I was lost, shattered, I couldn't think for fear of moving, and couldn't move for fear of thinking. I was in shock, my whole world flipped, had Neville not had the presence of mind to check for your pulse I wouldn't have been able to go on. I realized then that I had fallen for you, though I was unsure of the depth of such feelings. But well, I realized when Dumbledore told me the prophecy that I was in love with you and would do anything to keep you safe." Harry hung his head, letting despair and pain wash over him, leaving him in a state of overwhelming depression.

After a mere moment of utter shock, she reached a hesitant hand to grasp his shaking hand and lifted a bold hand to his cheek. He raised his moistened eyes to see her blazing, watery ones. Unconsciously, they crept closer to each other, reveling in the closeness of the other. Two pairs of eyes, shyly sunk to moist lips, begging for something unknown. They met in a soft caress, whispering the love they shared in an unspoken manner. Hands moved, touching base, as their mouths melted together. Soft hands tangled in dark unruly hair, and calloused hands gently wound themselves around her slim back, pressing their bodies even closer. As the kiss progressed, so did their love.

"I love you." He said anxious eyes greeting hers once more.

She responded to him. "I love you too…always…

…and forever." He finished with a heart melting smile, tears threatening to spill from both their eyes, a promise held.

"Why tonight?" she questioned more to herself than him, but he answered just the same.

"It was all about finding the courage that has been lying dormant within me since the Department of Mysteries." He explained, letting her in, caressing her fingers. He captured not only her eyes with his penetrating gaze but also her soul.

"Yes, I guess it is a matter of courage, but I never realized you had lost it, you've always been so brave." She conceded, shocked.

"Never when my heart is concerned," he said, averting his gaze.

"I guess I can help you there," she smirked finding his wandering gaze once more.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." He breathed, wrapping his arms around her once more. He captured her lips again, as if to seal their futures, losing themselves once more in each other.

Unbeknownst to Hogwart's newest couple a tawny cat was slowly trotting away from the beautiful scene. As the cat rounded the corner it shifted into their strict transfiguration teacher. She wore a beaming smile, elated that her two favorite Gryffindors had finally revealed their love. All it takes is a little courage she thought, her cubs had finally stepped up and truly embraced the qualities which embellish the Lion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, there it is… there is a sequel called "Forgetting the Hate" that I never got around to finishing. If I can force myself to make a committed effort to working on it I'll eventually post it.

-->