Unofficial Portkey Archive

Any Other Way by ShellyLove
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Any Other Way

ShellyLove

The expansive ground of Hogwarts were still, quiet as the first stars of twilight began to shine in the blue-black sky. A light breeze rustled the trees of the Forbidden Forest, the moon sending its pale light to illuminate the Whomping Willow nearby. Just behind the line of trees were one out to look, would see a pair of teenagers huddled together and a large half-eagle half-horse animal. The young boy and girl sat close together for warmth in the chill night air. The young man was deep in though, his arms resting on his knees pulled against his chest, the young girl looked on with concern. she lifted a small hand to sift through his messy jet-black hair. He slowly raised his head, her toffee brown eyes meeting his emerald green pools. "Are you alright, Harry?" she questioned in a soft voice.
"I'm alright, Hermione. Just trying to make sense of all this." Hermione waited patiently for him to continue, "Sirius is innocent, Pettigrew is alive and is the death eater who handed my parents to Voldemort. You and I are back in time to make things right by saving Buckbeak and Sirius, we were saved by a patronus that I think was cast by my father. It's a lot to process," Harry explained, dragging a hand through his raven locks. Hermione sighed, "There's always a lot on your shoulders, Harry. I can't imagine how you feel but I am here for you. I'd do anything for you, Harry." Harry put a hand on her leg and softly said "I know, Mione, I wouldn't be able to save Sirius without you. Us going back in time is going to save him which means I have family. Actual people connected to me from my parents, which I thought impossible. Sirius wants me to live with him," Harry trailed off smiling. "That's great, Harry. No one deserves happiness more than you," Hermione responded quietly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.
Harry looked off into the night sky thoughtfully, even with Pettigrew returning to Voldemort, I've found Sirius and Lupin, people from the life I never had the chance to live. We'll help Sirius escape, which wouldn't be possible without Hermione. It's not the first time Hermione's love of knowledge has saved my arse. I'll never have to go back to the Dursley's, I have Hermione to thank for that, Harry thought to himself. The young witch in question had gotten to her feet to settle the restless hippogriff tied to a tree a few feet away. He's so happy, she thought, thank God for that.
Harry looked over his shoulder at his friend, a sliver of moonlight through the trees gave him enough light to see her. Hermione has changed this year, in more ways than one, he thought. On the physical side, her wild brown hair now fell to her shoulders in deep mahogany waves, her large brown eyes more clever and knowledgeable. More so her personality had changed, the young bright, careful Hermione Granger, had become a courageous, confident young woman with brains and brawn. Just this year, she had dropped a class, though it was a flawed subject, punched Draco Malfoy in the face and ahd still chosen to help him after acting like a prat over the Firebolt. Harry thoughts ran a mile a minute as he summed up in his mind, Hermione is a wonderful person, a person I've taken for granted.
Harry stood and made his way over to her slowly. "There, there Beaky, its okay. You'll be free soon," he heard her say soothingly, she stroked the feathers on Buckbeak's neck absently and jumped slightly when she heard a twig snap behind her. She spun around, wand at the ready pointing directly at Harry's heart. "Harry, you scared me. Could you make more noise," Hermione teased, lowering her wand. Harry chuckled, "You're just so clever, I just wanted to say thank you," "What for?" Hermione questioned. Harry took a step toward her, their bodies almost touching, "For being you, Mione," he said softly.
Hermione's eyes stung with happy tears, "Harry," she whispered. She pulled him into a hug, "You're always there, Hermione. No matter what kind of trouble I'm in or what I've done," Harry said, resting his chin atop her head. Hermione smiled into his chest, squeezing his slim waist. "I'll always be here, nothing you could do could change that," she said tenderly, raising her eyes to meet his. Harry looked into her eyes, he saw something there that made his breath hitch in his throat. Shining at him through her eyes was loyalty, courage and beneath that was love. A smile formed on his lips as he said "I know, and I wouldn't have it any other way."
Hermione's heart swelled at his words; she stood on her tiptoes to lay a chaste kiss on his cheek. Harry's cheek where her lips had touched sent fire shooting to his heart, he smiled a big goofy grin and cupped her face in his hands. Hermione's heart pounded against her ribcage as his lips touched hers in a soft kiss. Her arms wrapped around his neck as she kissed him back heatedly.
The kiss abruptly ended as the sound of voices met their ears. "Run, Run!" they heard Sirius yell, followed by a guttural howl from their teacher as he transformed. The pair raced to the tree line just in time to see a large black dog leap on the back of a large gray werewolf. Hermione cupped her hands around her mouth and howled as loud as she could, halting the werewolf from killing Sirius. Lupin's ears perked at the sound before running into the cover of the trees heading straight for the young wizards. With nothing to do but cower from the adult werewolf, Harry shielded Hermione from their teacher. Buckbeak pulled lose from the tree and struck at the werewolf sending it sprawling backwards. Harry and Hermione dashed through the woods as they watched themselves leave Ron and an unconscious Professor Snape bolt into the trees following an injured Sirius to the opposite bank of the Great Lake. "Let's go," Harry said, Hermione nodded and the two ran through the forest as a sudden cold descended over the forest. Hundreds of Dementors glided overhead towards three shapes across the lake they knew to be themselves and Sirius as they reached the shore. "Where's my dad? He should be right here," Harry said panicked pointing to a spot just ahead of them. Hermione took his hand, "It wasn't your dad, Harry. It was you," she said encouragingly.
Coming from anyone else Harry would have never believed that he had been the one to fight off this many Dementors. Hermione only gave him truth and strength, he believed in her just as she believed in him. Harry raised his wand and called out "Expecto Patronum!" thinking of every happy memory he'd ever had. A silver stag erupted from his wand, chasing down every last Dementor before coming to a halt in front of them and dissipating. Harry's hand never left Hermione's as they flew to the highest tower of Hogwarts astride Buckbeak, rescuing his imprisoned godfather and watching him fly into the night on Buckbeak. The two exhausted teens climbed the stairs to the hospital wing where they had disappeared from hours before. "Harry," Hermione called to him quietly, Harry stopped at her tone and turned to her, "Hermione?" Hermione lowered her eyes to the ground in front of their feet and whispered "What happens now?" Harry lifted her head with a finger under her chin, and said tenderly," I know I can be difficult and hotheaded, but if you'll have me, I want this, us." Hermione took his hand, kissed his lips lightly and said, "I wouldn't have it any other way."