Unofficial Portkey Archive

Dealing with a Percieved Threat by SHOULDBEHHR
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Dealing with a Percieved Threat

SHOULDBEHHR

Dealing with a Perceived Threat

Authors note: Just to let you know. As the story moves on the characters tend to say one thing but think something else. To make it easier to identify who is thinking what, here's the key for you. When Ginny Weasley is thinking it will be in is type. Harry Potter's thoughts appear as this. While last but not least Hermione's thought are shown as this. I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 1:

Hermione

Ginny Weasley was furious when she heard. The news had reached her ears quicker than a bolt of lightning flashed across a hot summer sky. And because of it, she was absolutely beside herself. What had just happened was not good; it was not good at all! It set a very bad precedent. Harry Potter, her future husband, according to her of course, while out on a date with his present, Miss Cho Chang, had blown off said date and immediately disappeared the minute his know-it-all of a best friend had appeared. Cho was beyond furious, but Harry couldn't have cared less, one minute he was there, the next, he was gone. He had just made it glaringly obvious to anyone who cared to notice, that Hermione Granger was by far, more important to him that some random girl whom he just happened to be dating.

Now, what could she do? Ginny had fully expected that one day, very soon in fact, the whole Cho thing would be over, and Harry would be hers. So now Cho was history and Harry was ripe for the plucking, as she had predicted, but….What about Granger? She hadn't even remotely considered Granger as any type of threat or worse, rival. Hermione and Harry were surely too blind to see each other as anything more than friends. But, if Granger ever came running…. How would she keep the same thing that had just happened to Cho from happening to her? How does one deal with something like this annoying Granger issue? There must be a way, and she would find it, that was for sure. She did not plan to spend her entire happily ever after life with Harry looking over her shoulder. Worrying and waiting for the day her Harry would finally notice that the bushy haired geek was actually a girl, and when he did, there was at least a chance that he'd be gone forever. They were already way too close. So what was she gonna do about it?

Ginny thought hard, "How bout I force them together. I make them date each other. I make them both so uncomfortable around each other that they not only give it up, but just the thought of being together as a couple will make them both so jumpy and agitated that they will never dream of trying it again! It might work, it sounded feasible." She smiled as she thought it through. "I'm gonna do it. He will be mine, and mine alone."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginny decided to get right to work. "The faster I can force them together, the faster they'll fall apart."

Ginny cornered Hermione later that afternoon as Hermione was leaving the library.

"Hey Hermione, you got a second?" Ginny asked as she ran up beside the other girl. "I want to talk to you about something important."

"Sure Gin, what is it?"

"Well, I have been watching Harry pretty closely as of late, and well, it certainly appears to me that….he likes you."

Hermione rolled her eyes at the younger girl and began walking again before she stated the obvious.

"Well of course he likes me Ginny, we're best friend!"

"No, you don't understand, I said, I think he likes you," emphasizing the 'likes' as she watched Hermione's face, waiting for it to sink in.

Hermione stopped and stared at Ginny with a perplexed look on her face, her brow crinkled, as she mulled over exactly what Ginny was getting at, and then, a look of shock appeared.

"You mean he…" she finally blurted out as a look of shock spread across her face. She had never even given such an idea a thought before.

Ginny nodded her head and smiled.

"But he couldn't…."

"Yes he could."

"But he's never…."

"Doesn't matter, he's a teenage boy. They shift gears very quickly."

Hermione then sputtered," But….but…." She was dumbstruck.

Ginny, in an exasperated tone finally snapped at her. "Oh for Merlin's sake Hermione, what's the big deal? You like him too don't you?"

"Of course I do! He's my best frr," but before she could finish.

"Stop right there! You're not getting this are you?" Ginny stepped closer to Hermione. She peered into Hermione's eyes. "Is anyone awake in there?" She stepped even closer to Hermione and began shifting back and forth looking from one eye to the other, before finally stepping back.

"Do you not get what I'm saying here? This isn't about friendship! Harry wants more. It's as plain as the scar on his head!"

Hermione couldn't speak; she looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

"Well?" The redhead asked sharply "Do you want to save your friendship with Harry or not?"

Hermione jerked back as if slapped.

"What? This could ruin our friendship?"

She was horrified.

"Of course, if you don't reciprocate his feelings, he'll pull away from you."

Hermione looked like she was about to cry. Her head was spinning. This was all so, so, unexpected. She had no idea what to do.

Hermione pleaded with the younger girl. "Are you sure?"

Ginny nodded. "I'm positive."

Hermione shoulders slumped. She looked very sad.

"I don't want him to pull away from me, I-I …just couldn't take that. He was my first real friend."

Turning to the other girl she added tentatively, "I not sure what to do, but I know I want Harry to be happy."

Taking a deep breath Hermione continued, "It'd be really weird, but I guess Harry and I could try dating, if it's what you think he really wants."

Ginny nodded that it was.

"Will you help me then, please?"

Ginny threw her arm over Hermione's shoulder, "Of course I'll help you. What are friends for? I'll fix everything, you'll see. I know exactly what to do. All you have to do is listen to me."

She then led the stunned brunette down the hallway.

"Okay, now the first thing we need to make adjustments to is…..your hair!"

Hermione looked at Ginny with wide eyes, and subconsciously reached up and smoothed out her frizzy locks as the young redheaded just grinned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry

Ginny figured that since Hermione was safely tucked away in her dorm room trying to comb through her rat's nest of a head, the time was right to draw Harry into her plan. She asked around the common room to see if anyone knew where he was. According to Dean, Harry was practicing a few Quidditch moves with Ron, but they should be returning soon.

Ginny ran up to check on Hermione. Based on how her comb out was going Ginny was sure she'd have a good solid hour to talk to Harry before Hermione was even close to finished. She gave Hermione a quick thumbs up on how the hair was looking so far, and making her excuses she ran off to find Harry.

She spotted Harry and Ron heading back to the castle as soon as she stepped outside.

She ran down to meet them.

"Hey Harry, Ron," she smiled at Harry and nodded to her brother.

"Hi Ginny," they both said as they continued walking toward the castle.

"Where are you headed?" her brother asked.

"Well….I actually need to speak to Harry." Ginny replied adding, "In private, if it's okay?" looking right at her big brother.

Ron blustered, "Hell no it's not okay, we have important Quidditch stuff to discuss."

"Fine Ron, be that way."

Looking at Harry, "We need to discuss some….girly issues."

Harry stopped dead but Ron, he kept right on walking. Looking back over his shoulder as he continued on Ron wished Harry a "Good luck with that mate," and smiled before running off leaving a speechless Harry to fend for himself.

"Now wait a minute Gin, I…"

But before he could finish his sentence Ginny waved him off.

"Relax Harry, I only said that just to get rid of my brother, but I do have something important to talk to you about."

Harry gave her a quizzical look, but said nothing.

"Okay, so….I've been watching Hermione a lot lately and it seems pretty obvious to me that she uh….

"Hermione? What? Is she okay?"

Ginny nodded.

"Uh, yeah, yeah she's fine. Well….sort of. Well kinda… No not really."

"What? Tell me! What is it, what's wrong with her?"

"Alright, here's the thing. Hermione…..likes you."

Harry burst out laughing.

"Yeah, no shit Gin, we're friends."

With that said he chuckled, shook his head and started walking away from the youngest Weasley.

He had gone no more than three steps when he heard Ginny say, "No Harry, she LIKES you."

He stopped dead, and the broom fell from his hand.

Harry slowly turned to face her.

"You're not serious, are you?"

"As serious as your buddy Snape," she replied and then smiled when Harry winced.

Harry sputtered and stumbled, "How? Why? But she's never…."

Ginny interrupted him, "Well she does now, so you better do something about it."

"Do? What am I supposed to do about it?"

"Harry, I'm here to help you. I'll get you through this; I've got a solution that I know will work."

"Oh yeah, so what's your solution?"

"Well that's easy; all you need to do is date her."

"DATE HER? Are you mad? I can't date Hermione; she's…. she's my friend, my best friend in fact. Best friends don't date."

"Yes they do. They give it a go if it's the only way they're gonna stay friends," she barked back at him.

Harry was speechless. After letting what Ginny had just said sink in for a few moments he asked, "So what you're saying is….if I don't date Hermione, I could lose her as my friend?"

Ginny quickly replied, "Could? No you would lose her. What do you think? She likes you, you reject her, and that'll be the end of that. No girl is gonna hang around the guy who just rejected her. And if you do reject her, then the great trio becomes a duo real fast."

Harry's head was spinning. He looked up a Ginny.

"What am I gonna do? I can't lose Hermione as a friend. I need her."

"I know Harry, I know, and that's why I'm gonna help you. Do you want to know what I think you should do?"

He looked at her as if she were an idiot before he replied.

"Yeah, of course I want to know, I have no idea what to do."

"Good, here's what you do. The first thing you need to do is…start being nicer to her."

"I'm nice to her," he retorted looking rather offended.

Ginny frowned at him.

"Not nice, nicer, a whole lot nicer. You need to compliment her on her outfits, her hair, her smile, girls like that kind of thing, I should know."

Harry looked confused.

Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Just take an interest in her….as a girl, not just as a buddy. Understand?"

"I-I guess. I can do that. I can compliment her. I do actually like her hair," he said nodding his head. "I've always liked it, it suits her."

Ginny placed a reassuring hand on his arm and patted it as she nodded her approval.

She smiled inwardly because she knew that at that very moment Hermione was in the process of changing the one thing about herself that Harry had just specifically mentioned that he liked…..her hair.

But she said,

"Good, that's a nice start. Fuss over her, you know, carry her books for her, stuff like that."

Harry winced slightly as the though of carrying Hermione's books. Her book bag looked pretty heavy most days.

He hesitantly asked, "Gin, you sure about the books thing?"

"Yes….yes, of course I'm sure about the books. Boyfriends carry books, it's important."

"Okay, if you say so………… Boyfriend?"

Ginny took his arm and began to lead him back toward the castle.

Ginny made a mental note to tell Hermione to bulk up on the books in her bag for a while. She'd explain to her that she thought that Harry might ask her to let him carry her books to and from class. Then she'd tell Hermione how guys were always looking for just such opportunities to show a girl how sweet they can be, but also how strong they are. It's a guy thing, she'd explain. She'd also have to remind Hermione that she'd be helping Harry feel good about himself if she were to let him carry around a much heavier book bag than normal.

The youngest Weasley positively beamed as she led a befuddled Harry up the path to the front doors of the castle.

"They are both so clueless, sabotaging them is gonna be way too easy."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron

Ginny lead Harry thought the Portrait and into the common room where Ron was sitting on the couch.

She then steered Harry towards the stairs to his dorm and told him, "You think about what I said. If there's anything you want to talk about, come find me, okay?"

Harry nodded absently and ascended the stairs; he had much to think about. Ron took in Harry's appearance as he headed up the stairs and then turned to Ginny with a smile on his face.

"Bloody hell Gin, what'd you say to the poor guy?"

"Nothing much," she said with an evil glint in her eyes. "I just got him to agree to date Hermione is all."

Instantly all the blood drained from Ron's freckled face and then he grimaced murderously, an explosion eminent.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" He bellowed at her at the top of his lungs.

Ginny laughed at her brother predictable reaction.

"I said, my dear dense brother, that I got Harry to agree to date Hermione. Do you have a problem with that?"

She knew damn well that Ron had a HUGE problem with that, but it was just too much fun seeing him pitch a fit.

Ron closed his eyes and tensed up before exploding again, "YES, YES I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU GINNY? ARE YOU INSANE?"

She walked calmly over to him, took his arm and led him back to the couch. Then in what was her most condescending voice she said to him, slowly.

"Are you done? You feel better? Tantrum all finished? Are you willing to listen now?"

He just sputtered, "Listen? Listen to that? I don't ever want to hear you say anything like that again. Kill me why don't you."

"Silly brother, I'm helping you. I'm guaranteeing your future. Do you not see that?"

"Helping me…..helping me? How in Merlin's name are you helping me?"

She frowned at him. "Okay, try to follow me here will you? But first things first, answer me a simple question. Do you hope to someday have a future with Hermione?"

Ron's face went beet red.

Ginny looked at her brother who was blushing furiously.

"I should take that as a yes then?" she asked with raised eyebrows waiting for some form of acknowledgement from him.

He gave a curt nod and looked away.

Ginny slapped him lightly on the leg, "Good. It's about time you finally admitted it you dimwitted git."

Ron glared at her.

"You ready to listen?"

He nodded again.

"Okay, here's the deal. You know I plan to be Mrs. Harry Potter someday right?"

Ron smirked at her but said nothing.

"You also saw that Harry left his date with Cho when Hermione showed up?"

Ron grunted out a, "Yeah."

"Well the way I see it, those two are too damn close. He left his girlfriend while out on a date for Christ sake because Hermione asked him to, right?"

"Yeah, so?"

Ginny got angry.

"So…So? Let me tell you mister, that's not happening to me! EVER! You hear me? And I have a plan to make sure it doesn't, and my way I get Harry and you get Hermione."

"Do you want to hear it?"

Ron replied, "Yeah, of course I do."

"Okay then." Ginny smoothed out her outfit as she calm herself down.

"Here's what I'm thinking. I've already told Hermione that Harry likes her, and I just told him that she likes him. Now, I force them to date. Which I plan to make as awkward and uncomfortable for them as it is within my power to make it. Seeing as how they are both listening to me, it'll be easy. Then after a few days, maybe a week or two at the very most, the two of them are so miserable dating each other that they'll pack it in. And then, with the lingering memory of how truly awful it was, we'll never have to deal with it again. And ….you and I can move in to pick up the broken pieces."

She smiled as she finished. She looked over at Ron, who had a far away look in his eyes, but he was also smiling, but in a slightly scary, evil sort of way. It actually made her uncomfortable for a moment before she slapped his head to get his attention

"Are we good now? Are you gonna behave and go with the program?"

Ignoring her smack he nodded enthusiastically, "Yeah, it sounds great, whatever I can do to help."

"Good. Just follow my lead and everything will work out for both of us!"