Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Best Anti-Depressant by HogwartsHellion
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Best Anti-Depressant

HogwartsHellion

Yeah, I own HP. LOL. If I did, I would never have even considered H/G.

I, Harry Potter, am officially depressed. I am also completely in love with my best friend, Hermione Granger. And therein lies the root of my depression. You see, I fell in love with her two years ago when Ron left me over the Goblet incident.. I realized then than she would never leave me, and I could never leave her. But recently, she has become infatuated with Ron, who, in turn, ignores her for Lavender. She keeps coming to me for advice, which makes me feel like life is throwing the painful irony in my face and laughing. So, I go through my life, depressed and not caring. So I've taken to getting up as early as possible and hiding in the common room while everyone else sleeps, hoping that it will dull the pain. So here I am, at four in the morning, in my favorite chair by the fire. I stare into the flames, and scratch Crookshanks behind his ears. I sighed.

"How can I do this, Crookshanks? How can I live like this? I love her, and she doesn't even talk to me anymore, not as her friend. I would do anything for her. She is the only reason I live, and now I don't even have that. Maybe I should just accept this...make it easier to face Voldemort. If noone cares, noone else will have to die for me this time." I asked the half Kneazle. He looked up at me and purred. I sighed again. I watched the fire for a while until I drifted off to sleep.

I woke to sunlight streaming through the windows. Crookshanks was gone, and I could hear the sounds of a few early risers stirring. Glancing at my watch, it said that it was 730. Yawning, I stood, grabbed my bookbag, and crawled through the portrait hole. Winding my way through the familiar castle, I made my way to the Great Hall for breakfast. There were only a few students, and the only teacher present was Snape, who I shared a glare with before sitting down. Helping myself to bacon and eggs, I tried not to think too much. Just as I was finishing up, I heard shouting and turned. Crookshanks was barreling towards me as fast as he could. Hermione was right behind him. Jumping up, I ran and grabbed him at the same time Hermione did. When we touched, an electric tingle ran up my arm. I picked up the ginger furball, and Hermione smiled at me. My heart simultaneously melted and hurt.

"Thanks, Harry. He slipped out before the portrait closed, and followed me down."

I smiled back at her. "No harm done. I'll take him outside."

"Thanks again, Harry." As I walked away, I saw her rubbing where our fingers had touched and look at me oddly...

I set Crookshanks down and walked off. He followed. I strolled along, not really thinking or feeling. Lost in thought, I didn't watch where I was going and bounced off something large. Looking up, I saw a tangle of hair.

"Morning, Hagrid."

"Morning, Harry", he said, pulling me up so hard I almost went flying over him. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Yer seem to be distracted."

"Nothing", I said, brushing myself off. He chuckled.

"Its Hermione, isn't it?" I raised my eyebrows. He continued as if he hadn't noticed. "Ah mean, everyone can tell that yer in love."

I sighed again. "I may be, but she isn't. At least not with me." Hagrid smiled, beard twitching, and walked off. I looked down at Crookshanks, who stared at me out of his squashed face, and trotted off, his tail in the air. I went back inside to get everything for classes. During class I actually paid attention, memorizing everything the professors said, using my studies as a way to drown out my pain. The last thing on my schedule was double Potions. I walked the path to the dungeons on autopilot. I arrived in time to see Hermione be pushed into a wall by Malfoy. I snapped. Red clouded my vision. Before I knew what was happening, I was forcing his arms away from her. I saw Crabbe and Goyle draw their wands, but I didn't care. I drew my hand pack to break open Malfoys face. Just then, the door opened and Snape billowed out.

"Potter! Twenty-five points from Gryffindor! If you do not release Mister Malfoy immediately it will be detention!" I dropped Malfoy and stalked into the classroom. After a horrible time cooped up with Snape and the other Slytherins, I headed outside as soon as the bell rang. As I wandered around the edge of the lake, I watched the giant squid swim lazily in the sun. Sitting and watching the sun dance on the water, I wasted the afternoon away. I must have dozed off because I woke to the angelic voice that was Hermione's.

"Harry? You awake?" I opened my eyes. She was sitting next to me, beautiful in the sunlight. She smiled, tucking a wayward strand of her hair behind an ear. I smiled back at her.

"Yeah. What's up?"

"I just wanted to thank you for earlier. Malfoy was going to 'teach me some manners' as he called it."

"Git," I said.

"Mhmm." She looked out over the water, at the lake, shimmering in the setting sun. "Its beautiful isn't it?"

"Most beautiful thing I've ever seen," I said, never taking my eyes off her. She turned and looked at me intently. "What's wrong?" She asked. "Your smiling, but your hurting, I can tell." I looked away. There's no easy way to answer that, is there, I thought. "Its nothing." She looked at me in a way that told me plainly she didn't believe me.

"Sure. When your ready to talk, I'll be ready to listen."

"Do you want to hang out tomorrow in Hogsmead?" I blurted. She stood, and I mimicked her.

"I'd love to." Strolling back to the castle, my heart soared as we walked side by side. I was happier than I have been in a long time. That night, I went to bed with a smile.

Saturday morning, I woke feeling invincible. I'd asked Hermione out and she said yes! Well, kinda...not really...but hey, beggars cant be choosers, I thought. I bounded out of bed, dressed quickly, and went downstairs to the common room, before I realized it was six o'clock. Noone was awake but me, and Crookshanks. Knowing I couldn't go back to sleep now, I slumped in my chair, Crookshanks on my lap and watched the fire. A few minutes later, I jerked from my doze to the sound of footsteps. Light footsteps, coming up behind me. I smiled.

"Couldn't sleep either, Hermione?" I asked, never taking my eyes off the fire.

"How did you know it was me?" I heard her ask as she came around in front of me and sat in the loveseat that was situated across from my chair.

"Educated guess. Besides me, you're the only other person crazy enough to be awake this early on the weekend." I said, watching her wiggle around, trying to get comfortable. Crookshanks purred. Hermione laughed.

"He sure has taken a liking to you." She said, brushing her hair out of her eyes.

"He's been pretty much my only friend for a while." I replied, watching her try the innocent look.

"What do you mean?"

I smiled, and not in a good way.

"Well, with you chasing after Ron like a lovesick puppy, and Ron trying to eat Lavenders brain out through her mouth, I've been pretty much cast to the wayside, haven't I?"

I watched tears well up in her eyes, and instantly regretted what I said. I jumped up, dumping Crookshanks off in the floor, and went over to her. Sitting down and wrapping her in my arms, I spoke softly to her.

"I'm sorry, Hermione I'm so sorry, baby don't cry", I cooed, holding her as she tried to fight back the tears.

"Y-y-your right, Harry, I shouldn't ignore you," she said, wiping her eyes on her sleeve. "Your more than my best friend, your always there for me and I love you for that..." She froze. Looking panicked, she pulled away from me, but I held her firm. I looked deep into her beautiful brown eyes, leaned in close, and kissed her. Bliss. Pure bliss. She felt perfect in my arms, and she melted into me, her hands grasping at my back and tangling in my hair. Time slowed, and the rest of the universe stopped. The only thing that existed to me was Hermione. After a while, though, I had to pull away so I could breath. She was breathing heavily, almost panting. She pulled me back down to her. A minute later we had to separate for air. I smiled at her.

"I love you too," I said. She smiled into another kiss.

Life is good.

Okay, so it wasn't the best. First fic, people, don't hate. But review! More reviews mean better fics, better fics means happy readers, happy readers means happy me, and happy me means more fics! You see how reviews benefit you?