Unofficial Portkey Archive

Betrothed by E. C. R. Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Betrothed

E. C. R. Potter

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter series belongs to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros. Inc., Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Raincoast, and any other affiliated party.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chapter 4: Terror of Ravenclaw

With the attack of Snape, what was previously just a tense atmosphere became full-scale panic. The fear and chaos that ran through the corridors of Hogwarts was a tension filled sight and no one felt safe, even with Dumbledore. The only time Hogwarts had ever been filled with this much fear was when the Chamber of Secrets had been opened in Harry's second year.

Still, classes continued as usual with the exception of potions. It was now common knowledge that the source of these attacks was a succubus and students were working hard at Defense against the Dark Arts classes, as Dark Arts defense became a very real thing. Lupin had his work cut out for him. On the day before the Gryffindor-Ravenclaw Quidditch Match, he was teaching the Gryffindor sixth years.

"Now, can anyone tell me what a carbon succubus is?" asked Lupin. Like always, Hermione's hand was the first one up.

"About twenty years ago, You-know-who was working on a project in an attempt to give a wizard or witch the powers of succubae and incubi. The supposed products of these experiments were called carbon succubae."

"That's right, Hermione. Five points to Gryffindor." Lupin stood up and addressed the rest. "It was theorized that a carbon succubus wouldn't have the limitations of genuine succubae and incubi, namely their inability to affect the physical world. Also, while succubae and incubi can only attack members of their opposite sex, a carbon succubus can attack anyone she chooses, whether the victim be male or female. However, no one knows for sure whether the experiments were a success. Most likely they failed so you wouldn't have to worry about a carbon succubus running around."

After class, Lupin asked Harry to stay behind and talk a little. "Harry, I just wanted to say that Sirius has reached Romania."

Harry slapped his forehead. With all the chaos of running around he had completely forgotten about his problem of being betrothed to Cassandra. "So has he found Cassandra's mother yet?" he asked.

"Not yet, but his search seems promising. From the last I heard, he's figured out where Mrs. Frost actually lives."

Harry nodded. "Well OK. Do you think you could keep me posted on Sirius's progress, professor?"

"I'll do everything I can, Harry," said Lupin. "Good luck with the Quidditch Match tomorrow." Harry grinned and left the classroom.

* * *

With all the fear that was running through Hogwarts those days, the Quidditch match was anticipated to be a much-needed relief. Like always, Harry was too nervous to eat before the match.

"Come on Harry, you need to eat something," said Ron as he took a sip of his pumpkin juice.

"I'm not hungry," mumbled Harry. He stared at the potatoes on his plate.

"Well don't say I didn't warn you when you fall off your broomstick because of starvation," said Ron as he stuffed a bread roll into his mouth.

At around then, Cho Chang came by the Gryffindor Table. Harry had once had a crush on her, but she had ended up breaking Harry's heart around the beginning of the trio's fifth year. Of course, that was the past now, and Harry had his sights on someone more closer to him.

"Hi Harry."

"Hey Cho."

"I just wanted to say good luck on today's match. You know Cassandra's one of our chasers."

"What?!" Harry stood up looking surprised and stared at his former crush. Cho was a little startled by Harry's outburst but decided to think nothing of it.

"That's right, she's got a Firebolt. Well anyway, may the best team win." With that, Cho made her way back to the Ravenclaw table. Harry dropped his head on the table and groaned.

"Now she's going to be flirting me with on our broomsticks," groaned Harry. He looked up. "Well, I've got to go. Wish me luck."

"OK," said Ron as he gobbled up the potatoes on his plate. Harry glanced at Hermione right next to him. She had her eyes on her plate and was scraping her potatoes around. She looked plain miserable. Harry decided to take a risk. He put an arm around Hermione's shoulders and kissed her on her forehead. This move startled Hermione and she blushed a little. Harry stood up and left the Great Hall with the rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

Hermione slowly fingered her forehead where Harry had kissed her, still blushing. She started gathering her stuff and said, "I'm going to the library."

"What? Aren't you going to see Harry play?" asked an incredulous Ron.

Hermione stared at her red haired friend, a melancholy look in her eyes. "I don't think I could stand watching Harry and Cassandra Frost on the same pitch," she whispered. "Besides, I need to study."

Ron snorted. "Since when have you needed to study? And like you don't spend enough time in the library." Hermione chose to ignore Ron as she dragged herself toward the library.

* * *

As it turned out, Cassandra was one of the best Quidditch Players Hogwarts had ever seen.

As Harry circled overhead, he caught sight of Cassandra intercepting the Quaffle in mid-pass. She zoomed to the Gryffindor goalposts and threw the Quaffle through the hoops. The score was now 140-20 Ravenclaw. Amongst those 140 points, 110 had been scored by Cassandra. The rest she had assisted.

Cassandra flew up to Harry and blew him a kiss. Harry shook his head and concentrated on finding the snitch. It was hard to do with Cho Chang trailing behind him like a hawk. In the meantime, Cassandra scored another goal, making the score 150-20.

Finally, Harry spotted the glint of gold near the Ravenclaw goal posts. He had plenty of confidence in his Firebolt to outrace Cho, so he zoomed away as fast as he could to the snitch. In a blast of speed, Harry snagged the golden snitch out of the air. Immediately, the Gryffindor stands erupted in cheers: Gryffindor won 170-150!

Harry and Cho touched down on the pitch and shook hands. "Good game Harry," said Cho with a smile. Harry also grinned.

At that moment, Cassandra touched down next to Harry. She threw her arms around Harry and kissed him on the cheek. "Oh beloved. That was just marvelous!" she beamed. Harry looked like he wanted to be anywhere but right where he was.

* * *

After the match, both teams proceeded to their respective changing rooms. Everyone changed at their own pace and eventually, Cassandra and Cho were the last ones in the Ravenclaw changing room.

"Cho, could I speak with you?" asked Cassandra.

"Sure," said Cho.

"I heard that you once broke Harry's heart," said Cassandra in a neutral tone. Cho looked very uncomfortable.

"W-well. He…he once asked me out about a year ago…and…well…I was reminded to much about Cedric whenever he was around and I needed some space to recover…so…I turned him down. H-he was down cast for a while…but I never meant to hurt him." Cho made a weak grin. "You're…you're not upset because I broke your fiancé's heart, are you?"

Cassandra simply walked up to Cho, still wearing a neutral expression on her face. Suddenly, she pulled Cho into a kiss! Cho pulled away looking horrified.

"Wha…What…Wha…?" she spluttered. Suddenly, Cho felt her knees give away and she collapsed to the floor. Her eyes became blurry and she felt her body weakening. She barely registered Cassandra standing over her with a malicious look in her icy blue eyes.

"No one hurts my Harry," hissed Cassandra.

Cho stared at her in disbelief. She managed to say, "I…it was…you," before she blacked out.

No one discovered what had happened to Cho Chang until the following day when the rest of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team went to the changing room for practice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/N A note of clarification, Cassandra can switch between fatal kisses and regular ones. So that's why Harry isn't affected when Cassandra kisses him. Read and review please.