Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sanctuary by Amethyst
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sanctuary

Amethyst

Title: Sanctuary (2/?)

Author: Amethyst

Author E-mail: AmethystJackson@hotmail.com

Category: Drama, Angst

Sub-Category: Romance

Keywords: Draco Ginny Voldemort Dumbledore sanctuary

Spoilers: PS/SS, CoS, PoA, GoF, OotP

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Sometimes, sanctuary can be found where one least expects it - the only thing keeping it out of reach is pride.

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Author's Note: So…yeah, I must admit, I wrote this at the last minute. You see, I wanted to do a Christmas fic for this particular week, but the Christmas fic turned out to be way too long for the time I allotted myself - and then I remembered that I'd started a miniseries and really ought to work on that first and foremost. So…here you have it, and I'm sorry if it lacks in any way.

~

Witch Weekly

Volume 012, No. 3

Week of December 21, 2003

Welcome, readers, to installment number two of 'Sanctuary.' You may have been expecting some sort of Christmas ficlet this week, it being the week that contains Christmas…but, according to our Editor-In-Chief, we really ought to stay non-denominational about things, and Amethyst was too lazy to finish her Christmas ficlet anyway…so…Happy Non-Denominational and Politically Correct Holidays!

Sanctuary II

By Amethyst

Ginny was shaken by her conversation with Draco Malfoy.

She still didn't know what had inspired her to approach him like that. Perhaps it had been the look on his face - a look that showed emotion for once. And perhaps it had been the despair in his eyes that had convinced her to sit and talk with him.

Nobody had really ever considered him as dangerous before. He was just Malfoy, the immature prat who constantly irritated the Gryffindors. He had come up with silly plans to get them in trouble, of course - but none of them were very cunning at all. Sure, he knew his share of hexes - but what Hogwarts student didn't?

Never, however, would anyone have thought that Draco could seriously hurt anyone.

And now, Ginny was burdened with her knowledge. She felt like she could trust him, but what if all the cliches about listening to one's gut were not true? What if she had played right into his hands like a ball of clay? Perhaps she should go to Dumbledore or McGonagall about him, but if he was truthful, perhaps he would go to Dumbledore himself. It seemed more likely to Ginny that pride would stop Draco from seeing Dumbledore than ulterior motives would.

She would trust him as much as she dared. If she didn't learn that he had visited Dumbledore within a week, she would do it herself.

That settled, Ginny felt that she could quit pacing the castle and finally return to Gryffindor Tower. Normally, she would have been better off thinking something like this over outdoors, but she couldn't risk running into Draco just after she had walked off on him. That would be horribly awkward. Gryffindor Tower was no better, always full of students, some nosy, some noisy, and others, just annoying.

When she entered the common room, she found Ron and Dean sitting together, both looking up at her. She frowned. This couldn't be good.

Ron stood and approached her, Dean following. "Ginny - "

"Something you want, Ronald?" Ginny asked curtly. She hoped her use of his full name would be enough warning for Ron to not do something stupid.

"Dean told me you were talking to Malfoy, Ginny."

Ginny was torn between rolling her eyes and smacking Dean. "So, you were following me, Dean?"

"I'd just wanted to talk to you," Dean responded defensively. "When I finally caught up to you, I realized who you were talking to and -"

"And you decided to run to my brother?" Ginny interrupted, her quick temper rising. "I don't need a babysitter, Dean. And you need to stop whatever the hell you're doing, because we're over. I thought I made that clear the last time we discussed the matter!"

Ron stepped in, his eyes narrowed. "Ginny, whether or not what Dean did was right, you shouldn't have been talking to Draco Malfoy! He's dangerous, Ginny - and he hates our entire family. He wouldn't hesitate to hurt you if he had the opportunity, and you ought to know that, especially after what he said to you!"

Ginny turned back to Dean, glaring. "You eavesdropped, too?!"

"I was concerned for your safety," Dean said.

"I can take care of myself. I can hex better than even Harry, and you know it - in fact, you've experienced it firsthand! So just stop following me around and stop trying to protect me!"

"Fine," Dean snapped. "Chase after Malfoy instead of staying with someone who actually cares for you - and when he hurts you, I'll be thrilled to say I told you so!"

Dean left. Ginny didn't pay attention to where he went.

"I know you're angry, Gin," said Ron, "but Malfoy is dangerous, no matter how stupid he acts - and even though you're a very capable witch, if you're taken by surprise, you may not be able to react in time."

Ginny's temper was dampened slightly by her brother's concern, but she was not ready to give in yet. "You didn't hear what I did, Ron. I don't think he would hurt me."

Ron shook his head. "You're mad if you believe that, Ginny. I don't want you talking to him again, and if you do, I'm writing Mum."

~

"Professor?"

The hook-nosed man looked up from a stack of parchment. "Yes, Draco?"

Draco didn't want to show how nervous he felt. "I need to speak with Professor Dumbledore."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "Dumbledore is an extremely busy man, Draco. You'd better have a good reason for it."

He should have been expecting that. As it was, he had no idea what to tell him. The truth was out of the question; Draco knew that Snape was a Death Eater.

"I can't tell you," he said, knowing that it was the lamest possible response, but he was pressed for time and ideas.

"I can't help you, then."

Draco left wordlessly. He had a better idea.

~

"Professor McGonagall?"

She looked surprised. "Yes, Mr. Malfoy?"

"I was wondering if I could talk to Dumbledore. It's…it's about my father."

She looked even more surprised. "Certainly, Mr. Malfoy. Follow me."

Draco was surprised at his own brilliance. Who knew that the truth could be so useful?

McGonagall led him to a stone gargoyle, which Draco assumed was the entrance to Dumbledore's office. "Pumpkin pasties," she told the gargoyle, and it hopped aside.

"Just go up the stairs, and you'll find yourself right at the door."

"Er…thank you," Draco said. The words felt funny on his tongue. He stepped onto the bizarrely moving staircase as the gargoyle behind him hopped back into place.

He knocked on the door. It opened several seconds later. Dumbledore smiled. "Mr. Malfoy. I'd been hoping I'd see you."

To Be Continued

A/N: I'm evil, I'm evil! *dances about evilly* And this was extremely boring! But have no fear. It will only be three weeks until the next part.