Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nothing Gold Can Stay by michou
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nothing Gold Can Stay

michou

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to lead.

So Eden sank to grief

So down goes down to day

Nothing gold can stay

Nothing Gold Can Stay - Robert Frost

Draco Malfoy kept his head high during his court. He refused to waver in front of those who wished to see him fail. He may not have felt strong but he was determined to appear so. He couldn't and even if he could, he would not show he was heart broken. He believed that she loved him. The first time he opened himself up to anyone and she was just trying to pin him for murder and Death Eater activities and somehow managed to find enough information, no matter how false, and he was now facing life in Azkaban with not parole. Dementors may not have residency in the Wizard's prison but life in prison wasn't an appealing prospect either way a person looked at it.

"Draco Malfoy, you have been charged with the murder of numerous persons who for confidential reasons will not be mentioned, as well as a few Death Eater activities. Twelve of your peers have given you, and without objection from me, we have charged you life without parole."

How had this happened? Just a month ago he was happily in love with Virginia Weasley.

It was spring, and he had just decided to walk around in Diagon Alley. He was consumed with just how beautiful the day was he did not realize till it was too late that he was heading straight first into a curvy red head. He collided with the redhead but being a Seeker had its perks and steadied himself and the girl before either of them could fall.

"Malfoy? Dazed? What is the world coming to?"

"I was thinking, yes Weasley, I think."

The littlest Weasley smirked, "Care to share what could've caught the mighty Draco Malfoy in a daze?"

Draco shrugged, "The company of a pretty young woman known for her intellect? Draco could think and had experienced a worst ways to waste time.

**

It was summer and some had the idiotic sense to knock on his door. Despite his apartment was cool; he did not want to welcome any of the unwanted heat in his home. He however risked the coolness of his place and opened the door to find a smiling Ginny. He pulled her in then slammed the door shut and looked at the sweaty woman in disdain.

"What are you doing out?"

"Working, some of us have to you know."

Draco decide to ignore the comment and asked, "So why are you here?"

"I knew you're chilling charms would work."

"So you are only using me for my magic?" Draco asked archly.

Ginny shot him a glare that matched his own. After reflection, Draco realized, he should've stopped hanging around her then. But company, any company, that wasn't after his money was welcomed. However odd a family enemy was slowly becoming what was become a friend with no interference from her family. He shrugged the thoughts away as she smiled.

"You figured me out." She shrugged, "Besides I haven't seen you in over a week. What have you been up to?"

**

They had been friends for almost nine months. The longest friend Draco had ever had! The only friend Draco had. He felt like he could tell her anything. He wanted to tell her everything that happened to him and he wanted to hear everything that happened during her day. He heard the pop and judging from the time it had to be Ginny.

"Hey Draco," It took her a whole month of prodding to get her to say his first name.

"Gin." He greeted, "A little bit late tonight."

"Work. Been on my case to get something done."

"The Ministry has been getting tight lately." He paused as he reached for a plate on a high shelf, "You never told me what you do that the Ministry."

"I told you I can't tell you Draco."

Draco shrugged, "It was worth a try. Put more rice?"

"Nope. That's enough." She answered, "Who'd thought Draco Malfoy could cook so well."

"With years of nothing better to do, I had to learn something." He set both their plates down, "You will at least tell me what you do one day right?"

"Maybe," She took a hold of his hand, "Maybe."

It may have made him a fool, but he couldn't bring himself to hate her. She was doing her job and who was he to say anything. He was innocent, but with a community that knew the reputation of the Malfoy name, the accusation of murder was nothing new. He never saw her in the court room, there were no witnesses, only information, dates, and wand tests. Through the whole thing he was silent, he had nothing to say. Perhaps his father was right; trust only yourself, because you can depend on yourself to get the job done. He nodded his head at the judge's decision and allowed himself to be led to the bus that with take him to Azkaban. He met brown eyes at the back in the room and only nodded his acceptance. She couldn't bring herself to smile back. It was unparticular bright that day. The leaves in the trees were turning brown, orange, and red, decorating the streets and sky beautiful. This would be the last time he saw the beauty of London's fall. Or so he thought.

He'd only been in his cell for an hour when he felt the presence of someone on the outside of his cell. He was prepared to tell them to leave, thinking it was some irrating reporter and seeing the red hair and brown eyes, the wind was knocked out of him. Ginny Weasley outside his cell!

"Gin! What are you doing here?"

"You didn't do anything and I am going to get you out of here." Her voice was so bland and emotionless, it sounded nothing like the girl he'd grown to know and possibly love. What had happened to her?

"Ginny don't be foolish, leave here now!" He didn't want her in a prison where guards where known to do ungentlemanly things.

"No!" She took a deep breathe, "I'm getting you out now."

"You can't Ginny." He took a step forward, "There are wards!"

She didn't answer and a minute later Ginny was standing right next to him.

"You were saying?"

Draco by now was sure he was dreaming. The pinch he gave to himself however, proves his theory wrong, "How did you do that?"

"Don't worry about it." She grabbed his hand, "Let's get you out of here."

After he got over his nausea he looked around and found himself outside a forest. The air was clear and he the view was beautiful. He was facing a large two storied mansion that was surrounded by land then grass. He had the feeling it was protected by more than forestry.

Draco took a step towards Ginny who was a few feet away from him, "Ginny where are we?"

Ginny turned to him and shook her head, "I'm not Ginny."

The tone of voice that spoke to him struck a cord in him; it was familiar. He stood frozen as we watched the glamour fade and stared into the same gray eyes as his.

"Kaida?"

***

So what do you guys think? Kinda choppy right? I was reading a mystery book by some guy and then right after that I read a Nora Roberts book (not a good combination) and the idea just popped into my head. I always wanted to go a mystery anyways so here it is. Thanks to my Natalia for beta reading this and thanks to all who read, I hope you all liked it.