Unofficial Portkey Archive

Can't Decide to Love or Hate You by Liz21
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Can't Decide to Love or Hate You

Liz21

Disclaimer: I own nothing except for my idea. Trust me, I would own Draco if I could.

Summary: Ginny's heart is broken by the one man she's ever loved. She wants revenge, and who better to help her than Draco Malfoy?


Takes place in Draco's 7th year, Ginny's 6th

I started this story almost a year ago on ff.net and decided that I should share it with this site also. I go under Liz21 at both sites.

****This is a D/G/H triangle almost, but it is focused around D/G and will end up D/G. In the story there are mentions of H/G and R/Hr are only talked about. ****

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter One

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Ginny, I don't think we should see each other anymore."

Ginny Weasley felt like her boyfriend literally ripped out her heart and stepped on it over and over again. Her stomach tightened in a knot; she suddenly could not breathe.

She quickly searched Harry's sorrowful eyes, daring to believe him. "What?" she whispered, her trembling lips barely moving.

Harry sighed and ran one of his hands through his messy hair. He always did this when he was in an uncomfortable situation. "Ginny, I'm sorry. You are a great person and a good friend, but I don't think we were meant to be together."

Tears slowly slipped down Ginny's freckled cheeks. Harry was serious; he did not love her anymore. This wasn't supposed to happen. Ginny and Harry were supposed to be together, just like Ron and Hermione were. Ginny slowly shook her head. Half of Hogwarts were expecting them to get married and to grow old together. That's what she expected, something she dreamed of ever since she was ten years old. It was Harry's last year at Hogwarts and he was already throwing her away, breaking her heart.

Harry gently let go of her trembling hands and went to wipe the tears off of her pale face. Ginny stepped back before he could touch her, not looking him in the face. "Don't," she whispered. More tears fell.

She heard Harry step closer. "Ginny, please don't hate me,"

Ginny looked up at him. She was not sure if she was more upset or angry with him. "You told me you loved me," she whimpered, her voice slightly rising.

"Ginny, I-Ginny please understand that I do love you. But I don't feel, don't feel."

"Feel what, Harry?"

Harry sighed again. "I don't feel anything between us. There's no fireworks or magic, Ginny."

Ginny's throat felt tight. "How long did you feel this way, Harry?"

Harry looked down at the floor. "Since the first time we kissed," he muttered.

Ginny's eyes widened. The whole summer they were together, it's been fake. All of his words and promises were lies. She almost lost her virginity to someone who felt nothing for her.

Ginny slowly took another step back from Harry. He quickly searched her pained face. "You do have a right to hate me for waiting this long to tell you, but I didn't want to ruin your summer."

Anger quickly boiled in Ginny's blood. "Oh, but the first night of my sixth year is fine?" she screeched.

Harry quickly shook his head, trying to quite her down. He grabbed her hand.

"Don't touch me," Ginny snapped.

Harry's grip only got tighter. "Ginny, I'm sorry for hurting you. Please understand that I do love you."

Ginny's eyes narrowed with hate. With sudden strength she tore her hand from Harry's grip and slapped it hard across his cheek. "Don't you ever say those words to me again!" she yelled.

Harry's eyes grew in shock as he touched his stinging, red cheek.

"You used me," Ginny said in-between sobs. "You led me on until there was nothing left! Why would you do such a thing to me?"

Harry stood there quietly, too shocked my Ginny's outburst to respond. He opened his mouth several times to respond, but nothing came out. He just stared at her with sorrowful eyes.

Ginny slowly shook her head at him while taking a step back. "You stole my heart, Harry, and I'm not sure if I can ever get it back," she whispered. Taking one last look at Harry's frozen face, Ginny quickly walked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

By the time she turned the corner, Ginny broke into a mad run. She did not know where she was running to or for how long, but all she wanted to do was get away from Harry. Tears were pouring down her face like there was no tomorrow. She flew down the dark, empty corridors, not worrying about getting caught after curfew. The way her year was already starting out, she didn't really care if she got in trouble or not.

Once her thin legs could not move another step, Ginny slumped against a stone wall, gasping for air. 'This isn't real,' Ginny thought. 'This is just a horrible dream. I'll wake up and Harry will still be my boyfriend. He'll tell me he loves me and he'll hold me tight.'

She closed her eyes tightly, wanting so much to wake up. She reopened her eyes with disappointment. It wasn't a dream; it was real and it hurt.

New tears quickly filled her eyes. She remembered when she first saw him at the 9 ¾ platform. She was positive that it was love at first sight. From that point on she didn't know when or how, but that her and Harry would be together, forever. Ginny frowned, remembering her conversation with her mother at the Burrow after they dropped off Ron for his first year.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Mommy?" ten year old Ginny asked in a high, happy voice.

Mrs. Weasley was in the middle of making lunch just for the two of them. "Yes, dear?"

Ginny sat down at the old table in the kitchen. She plopped her skinny elbows onto the surface and rested her left cheek in her left palm. She looked deep in thought. "Mommy, how do you know when you're in love?"

Mrs. Weasley smiled widely as she looked at Ginny over her shoulder. "That's something you just know, Ginny. You can just feel it."

Ginny looked at her mother with confusion. "Feel it? What do you mean?"

Mrs. Weasley smiled again as she took the seat next to her daughter. She looked at Ginny and chose her words carefully. "Well, when you and a boy are together," she paused, hoping Ginny wasn't getting ideas that a ten year old shouldn't be getting. Studying her face and realizing she wasn't, Mrs. Wesley continued. "You feel light headed, but in a good way. You feel so happy, like everything is perfect. That's why if you're with a boy and he causes you pain, you shouldn't be with him."

Ginny nodded her head, waiting for her mother to go on.

Mrs. Weasley sighed with a smile. "And when you kiss," Ginny giggled, "It feels like magic. Magic only you and that very special boy can make together." Mrs. Weasley noticed that Ginny looked slightly confused so she added, "If fireworks had a feeling, it would be like that."

Ginny nodded slowly. A wide smile crossed her face. "I'm in love with Harry Potter!"

Mrs. Weasley laughed and kissed her daughter on the forehead. "Oh really?"

Ginny nodded her head violently with excitement. "Yep! I love Harry Potter and one day he'll love me too and well end up happily ever after like that Cinderella girl in the Muggle book."

"My baby is growing up so fast!" Mrs. Weasley said as she got up to finish making lunch.

Ginny continued to sit at the table and daydreamed about her and Harry's future together.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ginny furiously wiped the tears off her face. She was such a foolish child; she practically set herself up for getting hurt.

She slowly kicked herself off the wall and was finally aware of her surroundings. She had no clue where she was, except in a dark, cold hallway. She swallowed nervously. She hated being alone at night, especially in a mysterious place. It reminded her too much of her first year.

She started to think of the diary when she heard footsteps down the hall. She was about to call out to them when she stopped herself. It could be a prefect, or worse, a teacher. As the footsteps were getting closer, Ginny quickly looked for a classroom to hide in. Her brown eyes flew to a door just a few feet away fro her. 'Perfect,' she thought to herself and put her hand on the door knob.

Ginny started to open the door, only to freeze. The hinges squeaked loudly, causing the footsteps to stop. "Who's there?" asked a male voice.

Ginny continued to stand still, hoping the mysterious male would go away. The steps quickly started up again. They were headed right towards her. 'Oh, fuck it,' she swore to herself. With one swift movement she fully opened the door and slipped inside. Once inside the room she closed the door and leaned her back against it, starting at a spiral staircase in the middle of the room. Shrugging her shoulders, she quickly ran to them. As she reached the top of the stairs, she heard someone else open the door. The person was following her.

Panicked, Ginny looked around for a place to hide. Layers of dust lay over an old couch and a huge telescope. The room looked like an old astronomy tower.

Ginny started to walk towards the couch when she heard a voice at the top of the stairs. "Gotch ya," it said, slightly out of breath. "Now turn around so I can see who I'm going to punish."

Ginny sighed deeply as she turned around. She gasped with shock and annoyance. It was Draco Malfoy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Draco rolled his eyes as he heard the student slip into a room. 'Honestly,' Draco thought as he followed the student, 'does he really think he can get away from me?'

Once inside the room, Draco looked at the spiral staircase angrily. Every new school year the new Head Boy and Girl has a meeting with the prefects, giving them times to patrol the school. Draco, unfortunately, was given the midnight shift. Draco snarled as he began to climb the stairs. 'That stupid Mudblood Granger. Now that she's Head Girl she thinks she can boss me around.'

His angry thoughts quickly left him as he came to the top. A head of long, fiery red hair caught his gray eyes. A smirk crossed his pale face. Catching a Weasley after curfew on the first night of school could even put Draco Malfoy in a good mood. Sure, it was the female version of his enemy Ron, but he wasn't that picky. Even her friend Granger couldn't get her out of trouble, he'd make sure of that.

"Gotch ya," he said in a surprisingly happy voice, happy for a Malfoy that is.

The Weasley froze mid-step. That only made Draco's smirk grow wider. "Now turn around so I can see who I'm going to punish." Sure, he knew who it was, Jenny.no.Ginny, but he wouldn't even think of giving her a head start.

He heard the red head sigh loudly and watched her turn around.

Draco heard her gasp somewhere in the back of his head but was in so much shock that he took no note of it. Was this girl-no-woman really a Weasley? His wide eyes glanced at her bright hair and freckles. Yep, the classic Weasley trademark.

Draco realized he was staring at Ginny, but he couldn't help it. The last time he saw her was at the end of his sixth year. She was all gawky, had way too many freckles and not enough chest. The summer definitely did her good.

Draco slowly ran his eyes over her body. She grew into her scrawny body and her chest certainly filled out. Her Hogwarts uniform seemed extravagant on her curvy body; giving Draco a slight idea of how fit she was underneath. He especially enjoyed the skirt that landed well above her knees. Even her red hair didn't make him want to vomit. It draped over her narrow shoulders, curling at the ends. He brought his eyes back to hers. The eyes looked the same dull brown, but there was something about them that set him off. They reminded him of his own, all hard and closed up. Not that it mattered; she was still the most beautiful sight he has ever seen.

'Most beautiful?' Draco mentally shook himself. Did he really just use the word beautiful to describe a Weasley?

If Ginny noticed the looks Draco gave her, she made no note of it. She knew since last year that Draco Malfoy was handsome; growing out of his ferret phase into a tall, lean man. Quidditch provided him with board shoulders and muscular arms. Ginny could only image that his whole body was muscular.

Ginny's eyes grew wide at her own thoughts. Was she just thinking of Malfoy's body? Her thoughts were quickly distracted by his face. His white-blonde hair was still slicked back, and his gray eyes were as cold as ever, so why couldn't she keep her eyes off of him? His pale face was too perfect. He reminded her of a porcelain doll. Why did it take her this long to notice him like this?

She knew the answer, wishing she didn't think of it. Harry. She was too hung up on Harry to even take careful notice of the male population.

Ginny suddenly hated that name. Hated it for causing her pain. Tears started to well up in her eyes. 'Don't cry,' she pleaded with herself. She would not cry in front of Malfoy, she would not.

She did.

Seeing Ginny crying snapped Draco back into reality. He scolded himself for looking at her like, well, like he was interested in her. He quickly replaced his open mouth with a smirk. He had to make up for his careless slip. Damn hormones.

Draco took a threatening step towards her. "What's the matter, Weasley? Potter not as good in bed as you thought?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't talk about something you don't understand, Malfoy," she gritted through her teeth.

Draco's eyes widened slightly. She had guts, talking to a Malfoy like that. She obviously wasn't a little mouse any more. Draco quickly returned the glare. "What's there to understand? Your whole lovey-dovey display with him last spring was enough to make me vomit. Potter and Weasley, together, forever. God, you'll have fucked up children."

Draco waited for her to start sticking up for Harry, but it never came. Ginny stared at the floor still crying. Draco shifted uncomfortably. He hated it when women cried. He never knew what to do, unless it was a Gryffindor. Then he tried to make them cry harder.

Draco began ripping on her, using all of his lines about her being poor, her family, and even the famous Harry Potter. Nothing. She didn't say one word.

Draco sighed with annoyance. Silence was not what he was hoping for. He was supposed to take enjoyment in being a mean Slytherin and watch her go run off to her boyfriend Potter, crying the whole way. Draco's train of thought stopped suddenly, looking at Ginny with evil eyes.

"Doesn't Potter love you anymore?"

That got her attention. Ginny snapped her head up. Her tears quickly stopped as she glared up at Draco. If looks could kill, he'd be dead right now.

"Don't you ever say that word to me again!" she yelled.

Draco almost stepped back in shock. This was not what he was expecting. He quickly composed himself. "What? Afraid of the word love?"

Ginny quickly advanced on Draco until they were only a step away. She was definitely taller than he thought, and more intimidating. Her eyes leveled with his mouth and she looked furious.

"Love is a silly word that only little girls use," she growled. The tint in her face was slowly matching the color of her hair.

Draco was going to comment that it was a great word for teenage boys to use to get a girl in bed, but Ginny wasn't finished. "It's a word that is used way too much that people don't even mean it anymore." She took a breath and almost whispered, "Only fools fall in love. I refuse to be one of those fools again."

Draco stared at her in surprise. For once, a Malfoy was completely speechless in front of a Weasley. She was a prime target for his insults, but nothing came to his mind. He just stood there as Ginny walked away for him and plopping herself on the couch.

"What, no crude remarks?"

Draco snapped his eyes towards Ginny. The moonlight poured through the window and onto her, making her glow like an angel. She wiped away her dry tears, staring at nothing in particular. She looked pitiful.

Completely forgetting about punishing her, Draco walked towards her slowly. "So, Potter broke your heart?"

"Leave me alone, Malfoy," Ginny pleaded before she moved her stare towards the window.

Draco smirked. "You're not going to get Potter back by turning cold."

Ginny turned her head to Draco, looking confused. "What the hell are you babbling about?"

Draco rolled his eyes in annoyance as he sat down next to her on the couch. "I'm not stupid, Weasley. You've been Potter's fan club since day one. You're not going to give up on him that easily."

Ginny slowly shook her head, never taking her eyes off of him. "You're wrong, Malfoy," she said quietly. "But I do want to get him back, just not your way."

Draco tilted his head slightly. "Go on."

"I want revenge."

Draco was about to start laughing his ass off when her serious face shut him up. "You're serious?" he questioned, never keeping his eyes off of her.

Ginny slowly nodded her head. "Something just snapped when he broke up with me. I could literally feel him pull out my heart." she trailed off and looked at Draco. He was actually listening, like he cared. "I really don't know why I'm telling you this, Malfoy."

Draco hardly blinked his gray eyes. Her new feelings towards Potter intrigued him, and it also explained the cold look in her eyes. "Yes you do," he said arrogantly. "You want my help."

Ginny burst out laughing. "Me, a Weasley, ask a Malfoy for help?" She continued to giggle as if it was the funniest thing she ever heard.

Draco narrowed his eyes at her, shooting daggers. Once she calmed down she said with a smile, "Now tell me, Ferret Boy, why do I need your help?"

"Well, Weasel, we both know how much I hate Potter."

"So, what's your point?"

Draco sighed loudly. "Think, Weasley! What would piss off Potter more than anything?"

"Well, talking to you is enough to."

"Exactly!" Draco nearly screamed. Ginny jumped slightly. She has never seen Draco this excited. "Us two together would bite him right in the ass. It's perfect."

"I'm still not following, Malfoy," Ginny said slowly.

Draco smiled at her. "Weasley, will you be my fake girlfriend?"

Ginny nearly choked on her own laughter. "You-you want to." she had to stop talking through her mad giggles.

Draco stared at her, mad beyond belief. "No one laughs at a Malfoy!" he snapped. And to think, he almost helped a Weasley. He was a disgrace to the name Malfoy.

He quickly sat us from the couch, planning on storming off when Ginny quickly grabbed his hand. "I'm sorry," she said still smiling. "That was just not what I was expecting, at all."

Draco narrowed his eyes at her. "Forget it, Weasel. I don't want to associate myself with a poor, mudblood lover anyways."

Ginny stood up from the couch, never letting go of his hand. "I'll choose to ignore that it you don't go off and cry to your daddy."

"Why you little-"

"So, this idea of yours," Ginny interrupted as she let go of Draco's hand. "You really think that it would piss off Harry?"

Draco nodded. "Are you kidding me? I think he'd shit his pants if he saw me with his fan club. And pissing off your brother would be a huge plus."

"That's suicide!" Ginny responded. She didn't even think of Ron. "And I want revenge on Harry, not Ron." She did want to live to see her sixteenth birthday.

"Come on, Weasley," Draco smirked. "Do you really think your brother is completely innocent in all of this? He probably knew from day one. Guys do talk, you know."

Ginny sighed. He was probably right. Knowing Ron, he figured Ginny would be better off getting played then breaking the news to her. "So, what's your exact plan?"

"Well," Draco answered. "It's sort of like a team effort. We both piss Potter off by being together. It might take awhile, but I would bet my family fortune that we'll both get back at him in our own ways."

Ginny looked at Draco curiously. "What do you have on him to get back at him for?"

Draco grinned. "In general? Just for having to put up with him."

Ginny laughed. "Okay, Malfoy."

Draco's face went blank. "Okay?"

Ginny smiled slightly. "Okay, I'll be your fake girlfriend."

Draco's face broke into an evil grin. "Let the good times begin," he said as he left Ginny alone in the old astronomy tower.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thanks for reading!! Please review and tell me what you think!

Liz21