Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just one moment of peace by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just one moment of peace

Rosali

A/N: This takes place eight years after the events in "Was and Will Be". My first cookie of the novel :D Happy reading!

Just one moment of peace

"Once upon a time, there was a little boy. He and his family lived in a little house, where they thought they were protected from a very evil dark wizard, who was very powerful back then. But-"

She looked up when she felt his presence enter the room. Looking up, she smiled at her husband, who was leaning on the doorframe with his head propped to a side and an expression so beautiful; no one could ever describe it.

"Hi honey! I was just telling Nikki the story of a hero..." she said and smiled when he looked down and blushed a little.

"Well then isn't she a brave little girl... Did you tell her this evil wizard had eyes like slits and they were red as blood, while his skin was white as a ghost's?"

Nikki pulled the quilt up, covering her to the nose. Her round green eyes were wider than usual, and you could almost see her messy brown hair standing up. Hermione rolled her eyes and hit Harry softly on the arm. He winced and her light brown eyes looked at him, worried. He shook his head before she could say anything.

"Mummy, what did this big bad wizard do to the little boy?" she asked, a little nervously, as expecting the worst.

"Well, he was defeated and the little boy saved the world..."

"And they lived happily ever after?"

Hermione sighed, "Well, the little boy's parents died but they left him a great gift; the gift of love..." she said softly.

"And what happened next? What happened to the little boy? What would he do without mummy and daddy?" she asked, utterly worried.

"He had to live with his mean uncle until he knew he was a wizard and he started going to Hogwarts, where he met-"

"Nikki, I think that's a story for another day..." He interrupted and Hermione looked at him quizzically, but understood. She nodded and kissed Nikki on the forehead.

"Daddy's right, you should go to sleep sweetie"

"B-But I'm scared," she said through over-bright eyes.

Harry walked a few steps closer and Hermione noted he was limping a little but didn't say anything just then. He kneeled next to his 4 year-old daughter and stroked her hair. "Nothing's going to happen to you, ok darling? Mummy and Daddy will be just in the other room".

"And what about Uncle Draco?" Nikkia had a special gift, she could sense when people weren't alright, even if they were faraway.

Harry sighed and Hermione tensed all over, something had happened. Now that she looked better, he seemed tense and even fearful. This made his young factions look at least ten years older. She looked at him pleadingly but he didn't look back.

"What about Uncle Draco?" Harry asked his daughter

"Is he alright?"

"Uhm... don't worry hun, just go to bed," he said and kissed Nikki. "I'll leave the light on if you want." She nodded and Harry stood up with an effort. Hermione stood quickly and took his arm so he could lean on her. She kissed Nikki too and they both walked out of the room.

*****

"What happened now Harry? Is Draco ok? You can't keep doing this to me! Or to Ginny! It's just not fair!"

"Now, calm down all right? You know neither of us can," he tried to keep his voice calm. He leaned against the wall and Hermione hurried to him.

"First off, let me heal you..." she pulled out her wand and started casting a healing charm; she had gotten much better at those within the last 7 years.

Harry sat on the leather couch and let Hermione heal him. "You can't see him yet, Ginny's doing her best but it's gonna take time. He was badly injured"

Hermione tensed even more, "Please tell me what's going on! How did he get injured?" She hated what they did, and even more since she didn't know what it was. All she knew was that they were trying to eradicate a group of Chronomancers that were trying to bring back Voldemort by altering some part of history.

Harry's breath was cut now. "I'm having problems breathing..." He squeezed his eyes shut and reached Draco's mind "Malfoy! Are you all right? Please don't die." A few agonizing moments passed, and then he felt the familiar mind of his friend in his head.

"Well, depends on your concept of being all right"

Harry laughed a little though it hurt to do so, he always kept his wit; even in the worst moments. Hermione just stared at him; she knew he was talking to Draco. Although it was a relieve to know he was still alive, she hated to not know what was going on. She also hated that whatever happened to Harry, would happen to Draco and vice versa.

"Tell your wife to-"

"She's not my wife." he cut Harry, snapping at him.

"She's as good as... well, tell her to hurry cause this fucking hurts!"

He opened his eyes and smiled at Hermione. "Yes, he's alive though he was nearly chopped by half by a time axe..."

Hermione gasped and her eyes widened, "What?! Are you bloody crazy Harry?!"

Harry was gesturing with his hands to calm her down, "Shhhhh... Mione, you'll wake Nikki!"

She let out an exasperated lungful of air as Harry's breathing came back to normal. She sighed, her eyes welling up with tears. "Oh Harry! Please stop doing this! We have a family now!" She pleaded her husband as she wrapped her arms around him. He pulled away and looked out the window.

"You know I can't! I swore on his grave that I would never leave evil alone, that I would torment them till I exhaled my last breath!"

She closed her eyes and let her head tilt down. "Harry, it's been almost eight years, you killed Voldemort; you avenged him already, don't you care about our family? Don't you care that we will never have a single moment of peace?" she said in almost a whisper, her head still facing the floor.

He took her shoulders and pulled her face so that she looked at him. Her now wet cheeks made her coppery skin sparkle as if covered by diamonds. She was biting her lips, trying unsuccessfully to hold back the tears. "You know I care, but I don't want it to happen again. I don't want Nikkia to have to go through something like that again Mione, why won't you understand? This is not about Ron anymore-." He was cut off by a slap on the face.

"It is completely about Ron, and about you! You just never forgave yourself and you're being extremely selfish about it!"

Harry took his hand to his cheek and stared at Hermione. The bright, sparkling green eyes he had always had were gone; supplanted by almost lifeless ones. The only moments she had seen them sparkle again was when he was with Draco. Very few times they had been the same when they were together since Ron's death. They were very happy, but something had changed them both after that incident. It had been as if part of him had died that day; and looking at anything that reminded him of Ron was too painful. But she knew he loved her more than anything and that he loved Nikkia with all his heart too.

She frowned and sighed, "I- I'm sorry Harry, I just can't help it..."

Harry closed his eyes and nodded. "You're prolly right in some things..." he said bitterly, "are you going to bed?"

She nodded and stood up; placing her hand on his cheek and kissing him softly. "Don't take long..." she knew where he was going, probably to the study to talk to Sirius. Harry nodded and stood up too.

Before he walked towards the study, he turned to look at Hermione. "I love you Hermione Potter, more than anything..." he said and she smiled; going back upstairs.