Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Alone... by CandiceMarie
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Alone...

CandiceMarie

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter and any of the characters mentioned hereafter. They belong to the incredible JK Rowling. I am not making a single cent out of this. I wish I did, and was.

[A/N: I have no idea where this inspiration came from, but it did, sadly. No, I do not hate Ron enough to kill him, and I do think he is valuable to the trio. We've never seen Luna sad. I've always admired that about her, and I guess this is my subconscious saying that if Luna had to be sad, everyone else should be sad. Because, really, I take this as a sad fic.

I do not deal with characters' deaths very well. I did not want to pick up my copy of the OotP when he died. I imagined what it would be like if Ronald had died, in his 7th year, and this is what I came up with.

For Luna… ]

All Alone …

The sky was clear that night. Starless. Cloudless. All that could be seen was the moon, shining magnificently on the grounds. But the moon looked nothing special to her, for she wasn't really seeing the moon. She was looking at the heavens, wondering, hoping, waiting…

It was very unlike her to be so serious, but some circumstances called for it. Like now. She wished it wasn't true, and that people were playing another cruel joke on her, had she not seen it herself. What could be crueler than this, she thought.

A cold breeze swept across the Hogwarts grounds, and she felt herself shiver. This moment would have been perfect if he was behind her, holding her, telling her she was crazy, but he loved her anyway. It was a moment that would never come.

She wiped a tear that was sliding down her cheek. Luna Lovegood, alone on the grounds, sitting, and waiting for Ronald. The Dark Lord did not take his life. He didn't It was not possible. That fact did not exist. She. Didn't. See. Him. Die.

Luna was having difficulty breathing now, and her eyes were stinging with the promise of more tears. As she replayed that very moment where Ron was taken from her, she unconsciously clutched a handful of grass, in anger, frustration, pain …grief?

`Get out of the way, boy! Don't be stupid and shield your friends!' said Lord Voldermort.

`No. You'll have to get through to me first!' shouted Ron, every word dripping with bravery.

`Ron! What are you doing? Don't!' said Harry, trying to move Ron out of the way, but with his injured hand, Ron was much, much stronger.

`Harry, you'll always be my best friend,' he said, as Voldemort advanced slowly. `And I'm sorry if I've ever doubted you. I love you, mate.' Ron dodged a curse, and so did the rest.

`Ron, shut it. Don't talk like that, you git!' said Harry.

`Ron, please don't be so stubborn. Get out of the way! Don't let him hurt you!' said Hermione, her eyes brimming with tears.

`Hermione, take care of Harry,' he said, ignoring her pleads. Voldemort was laughing his merciless laugh. `You have always been the bossiest person I have ever met, and the kindest, too. I love you, Hermione.'

`Ron, please!' said Hermione.

`Harry,' said Ron firmly. `Tell my family I love them, and that they've been the best family I could ever ask for.'

`RON, GET OUT OF THE WAY!' bellowed Harry.

Ron ignored him. Voldemort slowly raised his wand, apparently finding this moment amusing.

`Luna…' Luna felt Ron grab her hand. `Luna, I'm sorry we were never- You and I never' He took a deep, shuddering breath, `Luna, I love you.'

`Don't, Ronald…' she pleaded quietly.

`I have to…' he replied softly, and he let go of her hand, then fought a hero's battle.

And he died a hero…

Luna wiped her damp cheeks. In a strange way, she was angry at Ron. But, oh, did she miss him. She'll never get to leave him flabbergasted with her oddness again, never get to cheer for him, and because Ron assumed she loved him, Luna will never get to tell him he was right.

She was sobbing now. It went on for a while, then she found herself unable to sob or cry anymore.

She needed to laugh right now. She desperately needed to find something, anything, funny.

`I ... must … not … look … like … a … baboon's … backside'

The smile that found its way across her face felt unfamiliar. It was like she had not smiled in years…

`Are you taking the mickey?'

He was always so funny. Did he know that? …

She stared into space again. She had never been so frustrated in her life, never wondered so strongly what could've been, and never wanted anything as much as she wanted Ronald with her, right now, to admire the scenery, to smile, and to reminisce.

Suddenly, the treetops of the Forbidden Forest moved, and Luna saw a horse-like creature with wings emerge, only to disappear a second later. She had another reason for seeing Thestrals now, she thought miserably.

Ronald…

Luna sighed, and looked up at the moon, finally seeing it, and she hummed the only song that bought her inner-peace and immense sadness at the same time.

Sitting all alone on the grounds, staring at the moon and heavens, waiting for a sign, Luna Lovegood hummed Weasley Is My King under her breath.

--- The End ---

-->