Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Full Blood Prince by Ftmble1
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Full Blood Prince

Ftmble1

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Spoilers: Books 1-5

Chapter 1

"So that's it then", Kingsley Shacklebolt looked down at the pictures, maps and clippings on the table in the middle of the Auror conference room. "Are we sure that they're in St. Andrews?"

"I'm afraid so Kingsley." Tonks sighed. "We had some initial rumors, and now with the latest disappearances, the risk is very large."

"What's the risk?" Harry Potter had just walked in. "Sorry, I had to wrap up the administrative report on the Lestrange Estate Sale." Harry frowned. He hadn't realized when he wanted to be an Auror how much bureaucracy would be involved.

Kingsley beckoned Harry to join him. "Tonks was bringing me up to speed on growing activity in Scotland. All signs are pointing to a Death Eater cell which has very bad intentions in the St. Andrews vicinity." Kingsley looked grim.

"Do Death Eaters ever have good intentions?" Harry asked cheekily, but then noticing Kingsley's gloom he stopped. "Okay, so we have a cell. What makes this so unusual?"

"Harry, do you realize who goes to university in St. Andrews?" Tonks asked.

"Uh…" Harry hesitated. Why did that sound so familiar? What was it that those women they met at that muggle bar were joking about with him and Ron when they said they had gone to boarding school in Scotland.

"Have you ever heard of Prince William? The second in line to the muggle throne?" Tonks eyed him warily.

"Sure I have, my Aunt Petunia cried her eyes out and wailed about him incessantly when his mum died in that crash a few years back. " Harry said. "Wait, that's it, he's at St. Andrews for university… wait, what do the Death Eaters want with the muggle monarchy?"

Kingsley shook his head "that, I'm afraid we have no idea, but what we do have is definitely activity in the area including some disappearances of lower level staff in the University." He quickly wrote a note and brought it to the office owl "Bring this to Arthur Weasley, at once."

"Mr. Weasley? What does he have to do with this?" Harry asked.

"Harry, as the Ministry's ambassador to the muggles, Arthur needs to be apprised of all potential threats to muggles. I believe that we cannot be too careful and that Arthur may need to let the muggle prime minister know about this breach. We have to get word to them that there may be potential danger to the Prince."

Harry sat there. "So what do we do now?"

Kingsley got up. "Tonight, I don't think we can do much more, but please be here first thing in the morning, ready for your next assignment."

"Will do Kingsley. Thank you."

* * *

After work, Harry apparated to the three flat that he had purchased for himself and his friends after their graduation from Hogwarts. After Sirius' death, Harry inherited 12 Grimmauld, but understandably had not wanted much to do with the place. Instead, Harry made it available to the Order during the war to continue as their headquarters. Once the war was over, Harry had insisted that his friend Remus Lupin live there.

That left Harry free to choose his own home when he left Hogwarts. He had found a beautiful 3 flat in a older more established wizarding neighborhood and insisted that his best friends live in the other two flats so that similar to Hogwarts, they would always be close by.

After graduation, Ron had joined his brothers Fred and George in their business Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes (W3). Fred and George had set up shop in Diagon Alley after they left Hogwarts and were so successful that they had Lee Jordan open a second branch in Hogsmeade a year later. Lee did so well that Fred and George saw the opportunity to open additional shops in other wizarding communities throughout Europe. Ron is now their franchise manager, which meant that he visited the various branches and ensured that the businesses were running true to W3 corporate guidelines. It also meant, unfortunately, Ron was away on business more than Harry would have liked. For example, tonight Ron was in Venice training their newest store manager.

Well to be honest, Harry thought to himself, he had been away more than he would have liked too. Auror training had been all Professor McGonagall had promised all those years ago and more. It was extremely rigorous, and that was saying something given all the preparations that Harry had gone through year 7 in addition to his N.E.W.T exams. Many times it meant being away without being able to tell his friends where he was going or when he would back. He felt very fortunate that Ron and Hermione had been so supportive.

He was also feeling particularly good that his training was winding down and he had most of his qualifying levels complete. He was looking forward to working less and being with his friends more. Both friends.

As he looked up at his building he saw the light on in the top flat and smiled. Hermione was home on time for a change. This was good, he thought, he could come up and have a few butterbeers and then maybe go out for dinner.

He quickly dropped off his bag in his flat and then made his way up to Hermione's. With one knock, the door flew open and a fuming Hermione beckoned him in.

Harry took one look at his friend, still in her dress robes, stiff lipped and flushed, errant hairs popping out of her conservative bun that she wore for work. "Er, all right there Hermione?" he said.

"In a word, NO!" she stomped into the Living Room. "You will not BELIEVE what he did to me today. This is the absolute last straw." Hermione was in a whirlwind, reorganizing her bookcases, putting CDs away, placing all pens in their holders, and generally going after anything that might need cleaning up. Harry had seen this before. Hermione was cleaning her frustrations away.

Hermione worked in an administrative role for the Wizengamot. Hermione had big plans for how she could impact the wizarding world's legal system, and thought it was the best way for her to use her talents to continue the fight against dark forces.

In reality, however, Hermione had been relegated to an entry level position as an assistant to Percy Weasley, who time after time dismissed her ideas as childish, gave her the worst assignments, and was fickle with both deadlines and expectations. The few evenings that Harry did get to see Hermione, he would always hear a story about the latest insult, or how she would work hard to meet deadlines, just to have them changed at the last minute and then find herself being berated for not having a different item ready two weeks earlier than was expected. It hurt him to see his friend be treated so terribly, but Hermione was convinced if she could survive working for Percy, she would be able to land a promotion that would give her access to make the changes she really wanted.

Of course that's what she said last week. Now Harry wasn't so sure.

"What did he do?"

"Reinstated your favorite Defense of the Dark Arts professor as senior consultant to his team. SENIOR CONSULTANT."

"Wait, Lupin is working for Percy - that's good isn't it?" Harry asked.

"No Harry, I was being sarcastic when I said favorite."

Harry looked at Hermione. It had never been her style to be sarcastic - that was much more a Ron trait. But the stress of this job had definitely had an impact on her, and he could tell…wait, if she was being sarcastic about favorite, then…

"No way. He couldn't have." Harry was shocked. He thought they had seen the last of Delores Umbridge when she was sent away on special assignment during their sixth year and the high inquisitor position (and all of its edicts) had been eliminated.

"Way." Hermione stopped and flopped on the couch in front of Harry. "She's going to be back on Monday. What's worse is that as Senior Consultant she's going to have day to day authority over me. I'm officially doomed."

"Dear God, Hermione. Can't you talk to Dumbledore?" Harry was chilled by the thought of Umbridge getting back in with the ministry of Magic, especially after the crimes she committed during his fifth year.

"Harry, you know if I pull that kind of connection, I'll never be taken seriously and will have absolutely no chance to make any reforms. I'll just be the young whippersnapper and Dumbledore's favorite. I already face that kind of discrimination now, why do you think Percy is always hoping I slip up?" Hermione sighed "No, I have another plan that I've already put in place, though I had really hoped I wouldn't need to use it."

"Plan, what sort of plan?"

"I've asked for a sabbatical from the ministry to work on a research project. I submitted my request a few weeks ago when Percy pulled that trick with the Crabbe case." Hermione had spent three long days and nights preparing the brief on the Aurors case against a cousin of Draco's henchman just to have Percy tell her when she was done that she had prepared the wrong case. Clearly Hermione never got her assignments wrong, Percy was being deliberately deceitful. Hermione wound up on Harry's doorstep that evening, completely overwrought, exhausted and trying not to cry.

"A research project?" Harry smiled. "I think that's a wonderful idea. You could actually study here in your nook and enjoy yourself for a change. I could help, now that I'm going to have more time on my hands." A completely warm feeling enveloped Harry and he got more and more excited.

"Well, actually Harry, I wouldn't be here." Hermione looked up. "I'm looking to move to Scotland for a year."

"WHAT! Scotland? Why Scotland?" Harry's stomach dropped. "London has libraries, why can't you study here?"

Hermione studied Harry, startled by his outburst. She sighed. "Listen, I know this is going to sound silly, but you know how much I loved Ancient Runes at Hogwarts. There are some sites in Scotland that have a wealth of information on Runes. And as a girl, I loved hearing the stories of the Culdees. I want to see if its possible that there is some wizard connection." She paused and then looked directly into Harry's eyes. "I just felt that I've been losing touch with me, and my true self…" Hermione hesitated, and shook her head. "… between the job and …well other things. I want to go away and delve into something that is mine, all mine, and that I can pursue without having to change anyone." Hermione's eyes darkened as she spoke the last sentence and she quickly looked away.

Harry felt terrible, and he couldn't explain why. He had had to leave Hermione and Ron many times during his training, and they had never once complained. In fact Hermione had always been completely understanding always saying "we'll be here when you get home." Now she was saying, she wouldn't be.

"I don't know what to say." Harry said glumly. "Hey, wait, did the ministry even approve this?"

"Yes, I got approval a few weeks ago, but I wanted to see if I could stick it out. I'm just frustrated that I couldn't make the Wizengamot job work out."

"Well, I agree that you being around Umbridge is not a good thing, I just wish you didn't have to be in Scotland to get away from her." Harry sighed. "When do you leave?"

"I have a few more arrangements, but I'll probably be already to go in three - four days."

Harry's heart plummeted. First Ron, now Hermione he thought. This wasn't at all what he pictured when he bought the flat for them.

"Wow."

"Harry, I know this seems sudden, but you've been so busy with your training, I just didn't want to bother you with all this." Hermione reached out to him. "Please understand, I need to get away."

"I'm sorry Hermione, I know the job didn't work out the way you wanted." Harry took her hand and started to rub her knuckles with his thumb. "I guess I wanted this to be your sanctuary, but it really hasn't has it?" He looked up.

"Not that it's your fault Harry."

"I feel partially responsible."

"You shouldn't" and with that she gave him a big hug, "You know you're my best friend yes?"

Harry hugged her back thinking to himself -- yes, but that wasn't enough to keep you here was it?

* * *

The next morning, Harry made sure he was at work as promised. He had taken Hermione out for dinner and they had had a good time. But Hermione seemed a little more guarded than usual, and Harry found himself missing her easy smile. Maybe she really did need to get away, as much as it hurt him to admit it. First Ron, now Hermione. So much for trying to stay together…

"Harry, glad to see you here." Kingsley interrupted his thoughts. "I spoke to Arthur last night and I have an update for you on the St. Andrews cell."

"What do we know?" Harry stood up and went over to Kingsley desk.

"Arthur agreed that the threat was strong enough to inform the muggle Prime Minister. He did so last night, and spent an hour discussing the options. Seems that the muggle Prime Minister is particularly worried about the Prince's current security not being able to handle muggle threats well, let alone wizard threats. I guess these folks have been known for their laxity, including letting an uninvited guest in to the Prince's 21st birthday party." Kingsley explained.

Harry thought about his own most recent birthday and the series of wards and spells Hermione devised to keep out uninvited guests. Ron joked that she had made the philosopher's stone look like it was on public display compared to her work. "I can see where that might be unsettling." Harry said.

"Well, good, because this is where your new assignment comes in." Kingsley said. "The prime minister wants a wizard to be assigned to the Prince's security detail, undercover of course. You make the perfect choice."

"Me, guard the Prince?" Harry asked.

"Harry, you're close in age to the Prince, as members of his detail need to be, you grew up with muggles, so you have little risk of exposing yourself by not knowing the culture. And most importantly, you have excellent reflexes and intuition. We need this combination to prevent a national tragedy for muggle Britain, as well as get to the heart of what's this cell's motive."

"So I would need to go to St. Andrews?"

"Yes, we've made arrangements for you to report to the Royal Protection Squad tomorrow AM. The people you'll be working with only know you as a muggle, as this will be a direct order from the Queen for you to join."

"Does the Queen know about us then?"

"No, I'm not sure who the Prime Minister spoke with, but the threat was portrayed to the Queen without mentioning wizards. Unfortunately, you can say the word "terrorist" in a very vague way these days and it's taken to be a serious threat. Given the Squad's recent history, it wasn't hard for her to accept the recommendation of improved protection." Kingsley picked up a folder. "Here's your dossier with details, muggle money, and living arrangements. Read this over, pack and report to the Royal Protection Squad at 09:00 tomorrow AM, okay?"

Harry nodded. "I'll be there."