Unofficial Portkey Archive

Heartbreaker by merletto
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Heartbreaker

merletto

Chapter One

Harry Potter was just about to begin a well-deserved vacation. Three years of non-stop work was finally showing in his attitude, as his boss, Remus Lupin had been pointing out blatantly for the past few months. He was also telling Harry that he'd become too detached from his work and too cynical for his own good. Harry had shrugged it off the first time Remus had mentioned a vacation to him. But after cracking the last case, Remus had practically ordered him to take the next three months off to re-tune with his soul again. He was probably right. It's been a while since he saw his two best friends.

Remus never buttered things up. He told facts, and for that much, Harry respected him. If there was ever a man who could handle cases that other agents couldn't find a breakthrough and not shed a cold sweat, it was Remus. Remus was definitely one of the most together person Harry's ever seen.

The twelve agents that work under Remus had wondered if he was under Prozac. Of course, it was known that Remus was a werewolf. It was said that Remus had a good laugh at the rumor, which was probably one of the reasons why the group respected their leader-a sense of humor AND brains was a very good combination, in their minds. Not to mention that the man had a very mild temperament. No one, had ever heard Remus yell it off at an agent for messing up. They probably would feel better that way, but just a few quiet words from the boss man, and no one would ever make the same mistake twice.

One thing was for certain. After Cornelius Fudge was dumped out of the Minister of Magic seathold, Arthur Weasley, the new Minister was smart enough to see gold when he saw it. He re-hired Remus into the Auror division, and soon enough, he was promoted enough times to award him with a gold laureate. Even after Voldemort was gone, various cases had sprung up, magical or muggle that had been brought to Remus's attention, namely those of missing people. It was well-known that Remus's nose was a gold digger for information, and after a few months of arguing and debating, the Minister relented to him forming a special division in the Auror department.

So Remus handpicked his agents himself. Harry was one of his first choices, as was Ron, but Ron had enough of chasing the bad guys game. A group of other people were chosen, and after six months of intense training in the auror program, they spent another two months with Remus in what he liked to call special training. The training was nerve-wracking, and only those who persevered to the end had passed. And thus was the beginnings of Remus's special bureau of investigation. Then, after another month of Muggle training, they began cracking the cases. After a year of the bureau's formation, Remus proved to have spotted gold. Within a year, they recovered more cases than the entire auror division had in ten years.

The sheer stress from this job would have sent any ordinary man to the mental institute, but these twelve men were hardly ordinary. Though no one's actually recalled the events of Remus's special training, Harry had always thought that Remus dug into their minds, implanted his ideals inside, and then brainwashed them so they wouldn't know the difference. Well, it turned out that it worked, because even though they don't know how, their responses and reflexes to situations were almost entirely instinct. It was scary to think how Remus had bore into their minds, but most of the agents weren't that bothered with it. They liked him for the ordinary, modest boss that he was.

Perhaps it was that Remus got along so well with his agents that he liked to have heart-to-heart chats with his men. Most people probably didn't know it, but Remus had spent enough time away from the wizarding community to study psychiatry in a Muggle university. Harry, of course, being the Boy Who Lived and the Man to Tell the Tale Alive, not to mention the son of Remus' best friend, had been subjected to these chats quite a few times.

He was in the mood to talk about the Mallory case now. Remus had been in Paris for some meetings and had flew all the way to Washington, D.C., where Harry had just finished a seminar. He didn't really want to talk about the case-it was still a disturbing incidence, but that didn't matter. Remus wanted him to talk, and he's going to make him talk.

He waited in the sitting area of Remus' hotel suite, then Remus called him in. While Remus reviewed the bizarre details of the case, Harry listened quietly and managed to keep himself calm. Only until Remus said that the Ministry was going to give him an award in commemoration of his work did he almost lose it, but he quickly recovered and hoped that Remus didn't see him falter there. For someone who's known him since his teenage years, it wasn't very easy to mask his emotions. Over the years, he had plenty of practice. Being in the limelight for his entire life had taught him well.

Remus closed the file and stared into Harry's piercing green eyes. Silence filled the void in the room. "So, Harry, how did you feel when you shot her?"

Damn the psychiatry. "Do we have to go over this? It's been over a month already, and I'm sure it's irrelevant to my report."

Remus smirked, amused. "This isn't a formal meeting, Harry. You don't even have to call me sir. I think it's necessary. So tell me how you feel."

And still Harry hedged. Like a squirming boy under the scrutiny of a strict teacher, he lashed back, "What do you mean how do I feel? What are you trying to get at?"

"Just answer the question, Harry."

Again, that calm stare that was so unnerving. Harry knew he didn't have a way out. Even though Harry had the urge to lie, that he didn't feel anything, he knew that Remus would still manage to squeeze the truth from him. So, there wasn't any point but to state things bluntly. "I feel great, euphoric. Nothing in the world felt like it. To know that had I been 30 seconds late in running back inside the house, had I hesitated even for a second to pull out my gun, a little kid's life would have been taken. I cut in too close… he almost died…" He whispered the last sentence.

Remus nodded. "But you did manage to get the child out safely."

"All the papers had said that she was crazy. Yeah, what kind of person would be that sadistic? But when she held the knife against the boy's carotid, the gleam in her eyes told me that she was anything but crazy. No one else saw it. They wouldn't know what evil looked like in front of them, and that was what she was, damn. Pure evil."

"Yeah, I saw it in the papers, and I think I can understand," Remus said. "And I'm sure you do too, don't you?" He continued as he watched Harry nod his head. "It's just a way people cope with issues as heinous as this one. No one likes to believe that anyone had it in them to do such crazy things. I believe I heard the other agents say that she was being forced by her boyfriend, who remains unidentified, that correct?"

Harry snorted. "I don't think so. She was one sick woman. Those porn tapes had her fingerprints all over them. And she was definitely a willing participant. Not just her too. Her boyfriend as well. Except that the tapes never showed his head. I think she must have started to go nuts though. For the two years we've been tracking them, they've never gone after children before."

"But honestly, Remus. She knew what I was there for. She held the boy in her arms, and all the while, she was smiling at me. The boy was still alive; I could see his breathing. But she knew that I wasn't just a normal investigator. Somehow, she had erected a wall that I couldn't penetrate with my strongest stunning curses. That was when I just pulled out my gun, took a quick aim and shot her."

"Your mind accessed and analyzed the situation rather quickly."

"But I feel like I'm losing it! I'm sure that had I thought about it, I could have tore down the barrier easily. But I couldn't. All I saw was the boy in her arms, the knife on his neck, and I wanted to kill her. After Voldemort, I never thought I'd kill another human being. But, you know? I think she wanted me to watch her kill the boy… and when that registered in my mind, it felt good to kill her." He paused for a second. "But too bad the boyfriend wasn't there. The sick things the bastard does, it'd be good to blow his brains as well. Does you have any leads?"

"As far as I know, no one has been able to trace his fingerprints or match up his description. He must have been using a masking charm."

"I still think you should put Seamus on his track."

Remus scoffed. "The aurors want to bring him in for interrogating. If he gave them any trouble, Seamus wouldn't have hesitated to reach for his gun."

"You kill cockroaches. You don't domesticate them, Remus." He stretched his arms out and yawned. "I think I need to go on a retreat. Do you think I'm burning out?"

Remus laughed. "No. Just fatigued. But that's my fault. You've been on this case for over two years, and you deserve a break. We can make do without you for the next three months. Go home. Ginny's planning a wedding, isn't she?"

Harry wrinkled his nose. "To that bloody prat Malfoy. What she sees in him we'll never know. But yeah, it would be nice to see the Weasleys again."

"You do keep in touch with them don't you? And of course Sirius?"

"Of course. They owl me often, the Weasleys do, and Sirius sends me plenty of emails. He and Laura had been bugging me to go visit for a while."

Nod nod. "And Ron and Hermione? How's Ron been doing? Heard about his engagement to Luna."

"Finally asked the girl to marry him. Yeah, he's been doing much better. Hermione's moved to his neighborhood so she could keep a better eye on him. After all, she's been the one that's been taking care of his treatments."

"Must have been tough for him."

"Yeah."

Another pause.

"Remus, do you think I'm losing my instincts?"

Remus grimaced. "Your instincts couldn't have been better. Everyone didn't think anything was wrong with the woman. She fooled them all, except for you." He opened the folder once again. "I'm sure, given time, the local officials would have figured it out. But it would have been too late. The boy would have been long dead and buried. And once this happened, she most likely would have started a chain of murders. No. I think your instincts are still sharp." He tapped the folder. "I read all the interviews, Harry. Before the Americans called us in for support, they didn't have a clue to what's going on. She was telling the investigators here how she was sitting by her poor mother's sick bed, keeping wait. Oh, and how it broke her heart to see her mother so sickly. She fooled everyone. And she was one of the most recognized church goers."

"But the investigators talked to everyone in the church group," Harry shook his head. "How could they miss anything?"

Remus shook his head. "I don't know, but it was a good thing they didn't hesitate to call us in for help."

Harry's eyes drifted to the window as he gazed at the tops of the skyscrapers outside. "You know, they had dispatched a group from Cincinatti. They were on their way. They would have figured it out in a matter of moments."

"So what tipped you off?"

Harry shook his head. "I was sitting at her kitchen counter. She looked like a very kind lady and had offered me tea and cookies. I glanced around the room, and I noticed her dog acting peculiarly."

"Hmm…"

Harry continued. "You'd think the dog would be jumpy and excited, but it wasn't. It lay in a corner, its eyes fixed on her every move; it was afraid of her. I offered the dog a piece of the cookie, but it kept looking at her, even though it was drooling. And I just didn't feel comfortable enough to be swallowing whatever she'd offered me. It just didn't feel right."

"What's the house like?"

"Almost reminded me of the Dursleys'. Immaculate. Oh, it had the usual easy chairs, sofa, coffee table and telly. All the furniture was covered with plastic, like they had just moved in. But not one peck of dirt. Everything was arranged in an anal way only Hermione could manage. But it was the smell that irked me the most. I still haven't figured out why it bothered me so much."

"And it was?"

"Ammonia, mixed in with vinegar. I figured that she must have been a compulsive cleaner. Anyway, after she walked me outside, I couldn't help myself. Something just didn't feel right. I couldn't wait for backup to come. She had already returned into the house and locked the door. I pulled my wand and unlocked it. She was in the living room waiting for me with the boy."

Remus nodded once again. "That was pure instinct. You did a good job there."

Harry shook his head. "I don't think so. Just got lucky."

"You know why I asked you to join the group?"

"Not because of the Snitch again?" he groaned.

Remus chuckled. "Couldn't have been more impressed by anyone else." He stood up and tucked the folder underneath his arm as he shook hands with Harry. "How are you getting home, Harry?"

Harry groaned. "By plane. I don't understand why we can't Floo."

"Regulations, you know. Overseas assignment, lay low."

"You just like to see me have another phobia attack," Harry retorted. "Seriously, most psychiatrists would like to help me overcome my phobia. You take pleasure in my fear."

Again, Remus laughed. "And England's star seeker afraid of flying. What would your adoring fans say if they know?"

"Not funny, you know."

"You need to relax. No… when was the last time you got laid? Haven't heard any rumors lately, hmm? Must be going through a dry spell."

"And Sirius is shagging your wife." He gave Remus a dirty look. "Just not looking for someone."

"Maybe you should."

Harry held out his hands out in surrender. "Okay, you win, Remus. I'm getting tired of the get under Harry Potter's skin psychology."

Remus grinned, highly amused. "So, I'll see in the end of three months. Not a day early, all right?"

Harry smiled. "All right. See you later, Remus." He opened the door to leave.

"Oh, and don't grip the arms to your seat too hard." Harry scowled as he heard Remus bark with laughter.

He took the elevator down to the lobby. After donning on his coat, he walked briskly to the entrance and hailed a taxi. As the driver headed toward the airport, he thought about the next three months. It was going to be great to be able to see Ron again. The two of them haven't hung out much since he was pulled into the bureau. It had been almost three years since they saw each other. The bureau kept him busy, traveling around the world, chasing down after kidnappers.

The two of them, along with Hermione Granger, had gone through thick and thin together, since they first met on the Hogwarts Express on their way to school. They've had their share of fun and adventures, dangers and scrapes. He couldn't ask for any better friends. They were the two most loyal people to him, especially when he stood up to Voldemort in their last battle.

After they had graduated, Hermione returned to the Muggle world to begin training as a medical doctor. Ron and Harry were scouted to play professional Quidditch as reserve keeper and starting seeker on opposing teams, the Chudley Cannons and Puddlemere United. But their Quidditch careers were short-lived when Ron was diagnosed with cancer. Even though Ron had told Harry that he didn't need to quit because of him, Harry didn't care. He'd give Ron an arm if it could help lessen the pain he'd undergone from rigorous treatment regimen.

He could hardly wait to see his surrogate brother. Lupin had causually mentioned a promotion a few weeks back, in a different department. He was counting on Ron to help him reach a decision. Ron would play the devil's advocate, and they would weigh out the pros and cons before making a final decision. And maybe, he could convince Luna to let Ron go free for a night and they would go down to the Leaky Cauldron and get drunk like they used to when they were flatmates. Somehow, she'd kept him on a shorter leash after they began dating.

But most importantly of all, he get to see Hermione again. Even though he was close to Ron, his relationship with Hermione had always been a special one. She was always bossy, as Ron said all the time, but both of them know that they couldn't have survived school without her constant nagging and pushing. Aside from school, she was truly a warm and loving person. And Harry had always appreciated her. However close they were, there was some type of tension that existed between them. The Daily Prophet and Parvati Patil liked to post articles speculating their relationship. Ever since Rita Skeeter had written the articles back in fourth year at Hogwarts, the entire wizarding community never gave up that story. There were plenty of times when a stranger in the Hogs Head or the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade or the Leaky Cauldron would clap his hand on Harry's back and congratulate him for having such a marvelous girlfriend.

Though he hated the rumors, he had to admit, Hermione WAS quite incredible. Any bloke would be lucky to have her as his girlfriend. Not only was she brilliant, witty, and diligent, she was also sweet, kind, gentle… and she was beautiful. She had always been a pretty girl. Harry still wondered how Rita Skeeter could have called Hermione "mousy" when she had the biggest and most beautiful heart in the entire world. Hermione had always been one to stick to the rules… but then years of hanging around with Harry and Ron, well, she could give them a run for their money.

The taxi pulled up in front of the airport. Harry pulled out some bills from his wallet and handed them to the driver. He pulled his bags out and headed for the check-in counter. The lady winked at him a few times as he pulled out his passport and ticket. Then he stopped by the coffee stand for a latte. Quickly, he passed through immigration. By the time he reached his gate, boarding was announced. As much as he hated flying, as least the bureau was generous with expenses. He was flying back to Heathrow in business class seats, but even with the padded leather seats, his phobia still overtook him when the plane left contact with the earth.

He boarded quickly and took an aisle seat in his row. It didn't matter to him that his ticket was issued for a window seat. Whoever sat next to him would have to settle for the window. He liked to be on the aisle, where he could watch people moving up and down. He adjusted his pillow on the small of the back, belted up, folded his hands on his lap, and closed his eyes, trying to imagine a prayer that the take off would be smooth.

Sometimes he wished he wasn't such a control freak. He had never been one before, but after living 18 years under the shadow of a Dark Lord, he relished in that he was able to take charge of his own life. But paranoia seemed to strike him as hard as Mad-Eye Moody. Remus had tried to get him to relax before. During training, he had taught the group relaxation techniques, but Harry had a difficult time recalling them. It was one of the terms. Remus had asked them to trust him with the techniques he was going to teach them, but they might not remember what had happened. For Harry, trusting Remus was never an issue; Remus wasn't his father's best friend for nothing.

Sometimes a faint scent or a peculiar sound was enough to send him off. His gun rested in a holster that was strapped to his left shoulder, and his wand was hidden under his sleeve on his right forearm. Though he had the clearance of carrying a weapon on a plane, he was sure that the other people on the flight wouldn't want to see it. Therefore, he kept his suit jacket on, even though he was feeling a little warm.

As the flight attendants began to demonstrate the emergency procedures, Harry could feel the plane moving. He sucked in a breath as he gripped the armrests. A few moments later, the plane began to accelerate as it sped into the air. He tried concentrating on his happy place, and he could feel himself relax a little bit, but he wouldn't release the arm rests until he was sure that the plane was flying smoothly.

It was a seven-hour flight. Even though he had reports to type, he decided against working. It was indeed time for a vacation. Harry popped a valium into his mouth, took a gulp of water, and closed his eyes, hoping with all his fingers crossed that the plane would land on the other side of the ocean safely.

***************************

By the time Harry reached his flat in Kensington, he was exhausted. He fumbled for the key in his pocket, and after unlocking the door, he dropped his bags in the vestibule. Reaching for the light switch, he groaned as he saw the light to his answering machine blinking. He touched the play button on the machine as he took off his coat and loosened the tie. Five of the messages were from Ginny about the wedding. "Don't forget, Harry, the wedding's in a month. You'd better not be flying off on another case, or I'll bat bogey hex you to the next century!" Harry cringed. Watching Draco Malfoy marrying Ginny wasn't exactly the highlight of his vacation.

He cleaned out his bags as he listened to the next few messages, mostly from random people. He smiled when he heard Hermione's voice. "Harry, when will you be back in town? It's been a long time since you've been free. Ron's just left for Bristol and he's coming back the end of the week. If you're in town and you're free, Luna wants us to go over to their house and have dinner. Call me and miss you!"

A few more boring messages as Harry proceeded to the kitchen to make himself a light sandwich. He finished spreading peanut butter over strawberry jelly onto the two slices of bread and was just about to take a bite, when he heard Ron's frantic voice over the machine.

"Harry, it's Ron. I hope you're home…. I'm in real trouble, man. It's three-thirty now, and I'm in Bristol, at the Foundation. Call me as soon as you get this. I'm also going to call Remus. And do you know where Hermione is? I've tried calling her for hours, but I can't find her! I know I'm rambling, but I'm dead serious. Please, just call me… what time doesn't matter."

-->