Unofficial Portkey Archive

Never in a Million Days by Olivia Weasley
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Never in a Million Days

Olivia Weasley

A/N: I know I've been really bad about updating my other fanfictions, but I had to post this one. Now I have an L/J, H/Hr, and a R/L. Now all I have to do is a D/G ~_^. I think this ficcle turned out alright. There are three parts, and please read and review! ^_^

Never in a Million Days

Part One

Finally it was weekend, and Brenna didn't feel like doing any homework…even though she had to. Something was telling her "Go outside! It's nice and sunny and Sirius is out there!" Why was her mind telling her about Sirius? Maybe because she thought he was the most handsome boy she'd ever seen in her whole life…along with every other girl in the whole bloody school. He was a Marauder, along with Remus Lupin, James Potter, and Peter Pettigrew.

The Marauders had a reputation at school…a reputation for being trouble-makers and girl-magnets; all of them. Two were already taken, them being Remus and James. James was going with Lily Evans, one of Brenna's best friends. Remus was going with a pretty brunette who was in Ravenclaw, Brenna forgot her name. Sirius never really noticed the girls gaping at him like he was some museum artifact. Sometimes they even fought over him when he wasn't looking. Girls could be gruesome when it came to guys, especially Sirius. That was one reason Brenna stayed away from his as much as humanly possible, he was almost always with a girl, and she didn't want to be made out as some girl who was fawning over him. Peter was the only Marauder who didn't really have a dating life. He had had one girlfriend in his whole time at Hogwarts, and she was a year younger than him.

Brenna sighed as she looked back to her Transfiguration homework. She was nearly finished, maybe she'd have some time to go outside and take a stroll. It was an essay about Human Transfiguration, which she wasn't good at all. She could transfigure anything else, but humans…that was not her thing. Suddenly, she heard someone pull up a chair beside her. Turning in her chair, she saw a girl with waist-length auburn hair and emerald green eyes staring back at her.

"Hey Lils," said Brenna. Lily Evans smiled and looked over at Brenna's transfiguration homework.

"McGonagall really put us through it the other day didn't she?" she said, shaking her head. She took this class with Brenna, but she had already finished the assignment. Lily never saved things for the last minute; she always got them done beforehand.

"Well can you help me?" Brenna asked, as though Lily were supposed to ask her that ages ago.

"No, I think you're almost there," she said airily. Brenna glared at her and put her head down onto her homework, moaning all the while. She could hear Lily's voice as she talked to James, Sirius's best friend. They were going steady now, and their relationship was very close. Almost too close in fact, which meant that they acted like they were married, when they weren't…yet. She lifted her head up from the piece of parchment and pushed her black hair behind her ears. She was almost done with the stupid essay; she just decided to get it over with once and for all.

Once she was finished with the dreaded assignment, she began packing everything into her bag. She looked around at everyone in the Common Room. Most of the people were couples, either hand in hand or sitting with each other chatting. Brenna wished more than anything that she could do that; sit with a guy and talk with him for eternity. Sirius had never spoken to her, but they had seen each other on several occasions. They never had the courage to talk; they always kept the silence, no matter what. Looking back at her unpacked book bag, Brenna started stuffing it with books again.

.+.

Sirius walked with Remus as they made their way back to the castle. It was almost lunch time, and he was hungry as a dog (no pun intended). He had been spending the whole day outside, forgetting about the pile of homework he had waiting upstairs for him. He jumped when he heard a girl shriek with giggles behind him. Turning around, he saw Marissa Chao chatting with a pair of girls, both of whom were looking straight at him and he knew they were all talking about him. It annoyed the bleeding hell out of him when girls did that, but they always did it…in the corridors, during classes, it was like he was a moving artifact in a museum. But he always looked at the bright side of things: They liked him. Marissa was a pretty girl, but he didn't like her at all. She could be like a poison, a deadly poison. Whenever she liked a boy, she asked him out; always asked him out. He had asked out Sirius at one point, but he denied the invitation. That made her mad at him and he doubted whether they would ever get over it.

"Looks like she still likes you Padfoot," mumbled Remus, as they had walked inside the castle and the girls were out of earshot.

"Of course she does, who wouldn't?" he asked sarcastically.

"A smart girl," said Remus. Sirius pushed Remus's shoulder playfully and headed towards the Gryffindor Common Room to unglue Lily and James if they were attached. They were almost always snogging somewhere, so Sirius and Remus always had to go to the rescue whenever they found them, or else it got out of hand sometimes. That wasn't good, if they were in public.

"Do you think Prongs and Lily are detached yet?" asked Remus, as he climbed the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

"No, no one else would be brave enough to get near them. I think they're still attached," said Sirius as he walked through the Portrait Hole into the Common Room. Sure enough, Sirius found James and Lily on the couch.

"That's it lovebirds break it up, break it up," said Remus, as James pulled away quickly and looked inquiringly at his best friend.

"And what do you want?" he asked irritably.

"Well, we want you to eat dinner, so we won't have to hear your stomach growling all night long," said Remus. Sirius smirked and James rolled his eyes.

"Fine, it's just that we love each other, as you should already know," said Lily, who was still smiling.

"Well you're about to eat, so you better save some saliva before your mouth goes dry," said Sirius. James rolled his eyes again and got up reluctantly off the couch, Lily following suite. But before they could all head out of the Common Room, Sirius saw something that made his own mouth go dry. A girl with straight, uniquely thick, shiny black hair and a clear porcelain complexion was sitting at a table packing her schoolbag. She was the most beautiful girl Sirius had ever set his eyes on, and he was oblivious to the fact he was staring at her with his mouth open like an idiot. She had deep blue eyes that looked like they ought to be part of an ocean and her long black eyelashes magnified them ten times more. Sirius didn't know what to do…he was lost for words at the moment. He had seen this girl before, and on all those occasions he found himself like this. No one had ever noticed it, including his best friends, but that was about to change.

"Padfoot, are you with us?" asked James, waving a hand in front of him while blurring his vision of the girl. He just came back to life when he realized Remus and Lily were also looking at him with confused expressions.

"Oh…sorry. I was…sort of…out of it for a moment," said Sirius, still staring at the mysterious girl sitting at the table. Lily, James, and Remus all exchanged looks.

"We'll be waiting for you downstairs," said Lily, as she walked out of the Common Room with Remus. James however, was still standing by his best friend, making sure that he wasn't blind.

"Listen, if she makes you act like this, then just go up to her and speak to her," said James, reading Sirius's mind.

"James, are you off your knocker?! Look at her, she's…an angel," said Sirius, looking back over at the girl who had not yet noticed he had been gaping at her.

"She might be extremely beautiful but she's not an angel, she's certainly human," said James. "You should go and talk to her, see what she's like. I mean, don't start going bonkers over her and then find out she has an attitude like a banshee. I really doubt that though, Lily told me about her one time. Her name is Brenna, and she's supposed to be really nice. I'll leave you here while you make up your mind all right?" At that, James walked out of the Common Room and headed towards the Great Hall. Whatever James might say, he couldn't talk to her…he just couldn't…but he had to. He had to talk to her so that he could see what she was like, just see who she was. He had seen her on several previous occasions during food times in the Great Hall and during classes, but had never even thought of talking to her. He certainly thought that she had a boyfriend, being as attractive as she was. But he had never seen so much as a first year boy hanging around her. She was almost always alone, or with a small group of friends. After the entire wait, he mustered all the courage he had and started walking towards Brenna. Sirius could barely feel the carpet under him and his head was about as blank as it had been when he found out Remus was a werewolf. Come on Padfoot you can do this! You went up to that pretty stray in Hogsmeade when you were a dog didn't you? Hopefully he wouldn't trip on something or get clumsy before he reached her… She dropped one of her quills gracefully (or clumsily, he couldn't make up his mind) and Sirius seized the opportunity.

"Hi," he said breathlessly, making the girl look up at him with her gorgeous face and eyes and handing her the quill.

"Thanks. Er…hello. My name's Brenna," she said, packing the last book into her bag and standing up to her full height, being at least 5'9.

"I'm Sirius, nice to meet you," he said in a surprisingly smooth fashion. The girl named Brenna smiled nervously and Sirius returned the smile. This was the most awkward moment he had ever had with someone, and he didn't like it. What's wrong with you Sirius? You're usually never like this around a girl, why should this one be any different? But he had an idea why it was so different. She was more beautiful than any other girl, and had a presence that filled the room.

"W-well it's time for lunch, we better head down to the Great Hall," she said, sounding a bit nervous. Glad that he wasn't the only one acting nervous, he nodded his head and they set out of the Common Room, Sirius still glancing at her occasionally.

.+.

-->