Unofficial Portkey Archive

It's Hard Business Keeping Secrets... by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

It's Hard Business Keeping Secrets...

H_HrFan

DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately the world of Harry Potter and all those who reside in it belong to a mind much more brilliant than my own. Thanks JKR for allowing us to visit and to share an occasional tale of our own.

A/N: This is an answer to the What? No, no, no, they didn't do it!, or they did? challenge posted by mycha_kk on the H/Hr forum. Harry and Hermione get married in their seventh year after the defeat of Voldemort and no one except Harry, Hermione, and `Ministress' of Magic Bones knows anything about it. One rule was that it had to be a one-shot…I was having so much fun with it that it became a really, really long one-shot. It was hard for me to get all of the characters into the story, with scenarios that I liked, in fewer words. I haven't had anyone read this story for me yet (with the exception of the 3 chapters posted to the challenge forum), so pointing out errors I may have missed would be beneficial. I find that I often leave out a small word in the rush to get my thoughts out before they take flight.

(This is looking right when I try to post it but I'm tired of trying over and over again so I'm going to take a chance. I hope it pays off!)

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Chapter 1 It's Hard Business Keeping Secrets…

"So, Harry, who you taking to the Yule Ball?" Ron asked. He was sure that Harry and Hermione were in love but as close as the three of them were, he'd never been able to get either one of them to admit it. In fact, he and a few others (quite a few others, actually) had bets going as to how long it would take for them to finally come clean. A few people bet on the Yule Ball, others bet on Christmas Day, some bet they'd do it after graduation. Lavender, who reckoned herself a right fine seer, bet on 12th March…Ron wondered, `what the hell ever happens on 12th March'?

Ron's bet was on the Yule Ball and he was covertly trying to pump Harry for information.

Harry looked up from the book he was reading. "I don't know. Haven't given it much thought." He lied. "Why? Who you taking?"

"I'm thinking about asking Luna but I haven't decided for sure yet." Ron replied.

"Luna?" Harry asked in surprise. Ron seldom ever mentioned Luna. He was more apt to talk about Lavender or one of the other pretty Gryffindor girls.

"Luna. What's wrong with that? Have you seen her lately? Whoa!" He said with a shake of his head. "She's looking good."

Harry chuckled and rolled his eyes in response.

"You know Harry, you could have just about any girl you want. I bet any one of them would drop the chap their with for a chance to go with The-Boy-Who-Lived-Again." Ron quipped.

"Yeah, right!" Harry snorted. "Like I really want to waste my time on girls who only want to date…" Harry paused, "whoever I am this week. No thanks!"

"Well alright then." Ron said looking a little smug. "Who you taking then?"

"Did it ever occur to you that I might not be taking anyone?" Harry asked. "Maybe someone is taking me!"

Ron couldn't believe it. Harry always had this thing about being valiant. He was the one who paid whenever he took a girl out and he was always the one who asked. He didn't like when girls asked him. What in the world was so different about this girl? Or…NO WAY! No…it had to be a girl. Ron quickly banished any other thoughts from his mind.

"All right. All right." Ron retorted. "I get the hint. I'll quit asking."

As Ron began moving toward their dorm room he looked back at Harry and said, "You know, if you don't have a date all you have to do is say so! Luna has this friend…"

Ron barely had time to duck the book that Harry threw at him and he ran up the stairs as fast as he could.

Harry couldn't help but smile to himself. He knew exactly whom he was taking to the dance. He also knew that if he tried to take anyone else she'd probably cut him off for a week!

He looked up when he heard the portrait open and his heart leapt when he saw her walk in. There she was…the woman he'd pledged his life to only a few short weeks ago. This was, in fact, their three-week anniversary. Twenty-one days of wedded bliss. Secret…wedded bliss. Harry couldn't contain his smile.

"There you are." Hermione said. "I've been looking all over for you. You were supposed to meet me in the library an hour ago."

"Oh, that's right. I'm sorry. I forgot. I was reading this book and then Ron started questioning me about who I was taking to the Yule Ball." Harry said apologetically.

"Did you tell him?" Hermione asked.

"No. It was more fun to keep him guessing." Harry laughed. "He did offer to hook me up with a friend of Luna's though." He teased.

She gave him an affectionate slap on the arm and said, "A friend of Luna's? How on earth would Ron know anything about a friend of Luna's?"

"Oh. He told me that he's thinking of asking her to the Ball. Guess they've talking." He replied.

"Oh, right. Leave it to Ron to offer you a friend of Luna's when he hasn't even asked Luna to the Ball yet!" She said as she rolled her eyes. "What were you supposed to do if he decided not to ask her? Luna might have been with us at the Ministry in fifth year, but I'd hardly call the two of you close!"

"Does it matter what I'd do?" He asked. "There's no chance of my going with a friend of hers anyway when I have a beautiful woman already. Who is taking me by the way…your treat!"

Hermione laughed. "Guess it's a good thing it's free then, isn't it?"

Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her close for a quick kiss. No one knew they were a couple, much less a married couple, and for now they thought it best to keep it that way. They never lingered long in the common room.

That one kiss had just about done him in though and he was ready to head to their special place.

Dobby, bless his little house elf heart, had shown Harry a room much like the Room of Requirement. The Room of Urgent Need, or `The RUN' as Harry liked to call it, was where Harry and Hermione went when they needed time alone. Since they couldn't share a room all the time, they had to take advantage of the time they had and no one other than the two of them and Dobby knew about this room. Dobby was on strict orders to never mention it to anyone (it was the only time Harry could remember Hermione giving an order to a house elf…he wasn't exactly sure how that fit in with S.P.E.W. but he knew better than to question her…apparently Dobby did too). The RUN was where he wanted to go now.

"Come on Hermione." Harry grabbed her hand and practically pulled her to the portrait hole. "We need to go…erm…uh…yeah. We need to go…"

"Oh no, Harry." She said. "You were supposed to meet me in the library over an hour ago and we need to go there first."

"Aww Hermione, whatever for?" He whined. "You spend enough time in the library for both of us. What do we need to go there together for now?"

"Harry," she whispered, "you know exactly what we're going there for. I, for one, would like to wear the ring I got from you three weeks ago and until we find the spell that makes them visible to only us, then I can't…and neither can you."

"As always, you're right." He conceded. Sometimes he really hated her logic!

They spent the next couple of hours poring over spell books until Hermione finally found it. "Here it is!" She exclaimed.

Harry had a hard time containing his excitement. He didn't know how much longer he could handle sitting there with her and not touching her. The first time they made love was their wedding night and since then Hermione had become an addiction. Sex with her was bloody fantastic! It was…

"Stop it Harry." Hermione had broken through his daze. "You can't be doing that in here." She said and looked down at his hand settled quite comfortably between her legs. "How did your hand get there anyway?" She laughed.

"What?" He asked. Still trying to regain his focus. "What were you…Oh! Sorry." He said. "Well, sort of!" He mumbled softly. When she looked at him and smiled he forgot everything again.

"Did you say you found the spell?" He asked.

"Yes." She laughed. "And I've already done it. And I placed the ring on your finger. Boy, you really were out of it, weren't you? I guess that means it's time to go then, doesn't it?" She finished with a sly grin and one raised eyebrow.

How does she do that? Harry thought to himself as he grabbed her hand again and pulled her to the door. When he looked at his hand holding hers he saw the ring and smiled at the memory of the best day of his life.

They'd gotten halfway down the hall toward The RUN when Hermione realized she'd left the book out and she didn't remember closing it. Dang these newlywed hormones, she thought bitterly.

"Harry, we have to go back to the library." She tried to sound extra-sweet so he'd go without asking too many questions.

"Bloody hell Hermione. How long do you think I can wait? You've already driven me to distraction. Where in the world do you plan to take me from there?" Harry complained.

"Just for a minute Harry and your distraction is really the reason we have to go back." She said quickly.

"What are you talking about?" Harry questioned.

"Well, in our haste to get out of the library we sort of left the book open. I know that Madam Pince saw us sitting there and I'm sure a few of the students did too. Also, did I mention that the spell wears off as soon as someone finds out our secret?" She said. Her nose was scrunched up and her hand had drifted up to scratch her head.

Damn. She looks so cute when she does that, Harry thought. We're never going to get to The RUN fast enough. I might have to stop by the bathroom first. He laughed at that thought but quickly managed to pull himself together when he saw her scowling at him.

They ran back to the library and just as they neared the table where they'd been sitting they saw Lavender and Parvati looking at the book they'd accidentally left behind. They looked up as they heard Harry and Hermione approaching. Both girls looked questioningly at them and Harry and Hermione stopped dead in their tracks.

"Oh crap!" Harry said, a little louder then he'd intended and Hermione jerked her head around and glared at him.

Chapter 2 Must All Good Things Come to an End?

"Well…um…Hermione…I…I don't think this is where we were sitting." Harry said as he was clearing his throat. "So. Um. All right then."

"Yeah Harry, I think you're right. We must have been sitting…" Hermione looked quickly around the library, "over there." She finished quickly. "Come on Harry, I'm sure that's where I dropped my quill. Help me find it."

Together they looked at Lavender and Parvati and saw the laughter in their eyes. Both girls wished they had some way to record this moment. Where was Colin when you needed him anyway? Lavender thought. Harry and Hermione were so funny. Like they couldn't see right through them.

"So," started Lavender "when did it happen?"

"What?" Asked Hermione. "When did what happen?"

Harry leaned toward Hermione and whispered, "If we run out of here now and don't admit anything does the spell still wear off? I mean, technically we'd still be keeping it a secret if we don't say it out loud, wouldn't we?"

A little louder Hermione exclaimed, "I don't know…let's try it!"

And together they ran out of the library.

Thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good time to go to The RUN, they decided instead to head back to the Gryffindor common room.

Boy were they surprised when they found…

Ron, Seamus, Dean, Neville and quite a few others gathered around an elaborately made up board that neither Harry nor Hermione had seen before. Everything was written in small letters but as they got closer they saw it was a list of names, dates, and numbers that looked a lot like monetary values.

Harry looked at Hermione and raised his eyebrows. She shrugged her shoulders in return. Thankfully they were all too engrossed in what they were doing to pay any attention to the last two people they expected to come through the portrait hole.

Harry and Hermione saw:

Fred Yule Ball 50.00

George Christmas Eve 50.00

what? They don't even go to Hogwarts anymore

Seamus New Year's Day 20.00

Ron Yule Ball 20.00

Prof. McGonagall Graduation Day 50.00

Prof. Dumbledore Christmas Day 50.00

hold on…Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore? What kind of list was this anyway?

As they went down the list there were other names they were surprised to see. Professor Flitwick, Hagrid, Lupin, Dobby…what the heck was going on? This was the strangest list of names they'd ever seen and it seemed to go on forever. Professors, students, and house elves with dates and numbers next to their names? Something very strange was going on and both Harry and Hermione wondered briefly what dates and numbers might be next to their names.

The last name they saw before the portrait swung open again was Lavender - 12th March 20.00. What? What the hell ever happens on 12th March?

Just as they were getting ready to make their presence known Lavender and Parvati walked in and very loudly said, "Hi Harry. Hi Hermione."

Everybody in the common room jumped up like they'd been shot out of a cannon. Some of them bumped into each other and Dean actually hit the ground. There was a lot of fumbling and bumbling around before they finally got themselves composed.

During the shuffle Hermione had taken one last look at the board and for the first time noticed the words, "Harry and Hermione. Don't let another day go by. Place your bet today!" scrawled across the top. Hermione couldn't believe it. They were placing bets on her and Harry! Apparently the defeat of Voldemort left the people around them with a lot of spare time on their hands! Didn't people have better things to do then bet on them? "Apparently not," she inadvertently said aloud.

Harry just looked at her questioningly.

"Well, show him the board." Hermione demanded, looking at Seamus who was standing the closest. Knowing that the last thing they'd want to do is incur the wrath of one Hermione Granger, Seamus handed the board to Harry.

"What the…" Harry couldn't believe it. "Ron, what the hell is this?"

"Well mate," Ron stammered "we all sort of…well, we all sort of…knew that you and Hermione fancied each other so…so we just started placing bets on when you two were gonna admit it, that's all."

"You're making wagers on my love life?" Harry asked in astonishment. "What, nothing to occupy your simple minds now that Voldemort's gone?"

Hermione smiled to herself as Harry said aloud the exact thing she was thinking just moments ago.

Ron was a little shaken, as were the others gathered around him. Pissing off two of the most powerful students to pass through Hogwarts was not exactly at the top of any one of their lists.

Hermione looked around and for the first time noticed Ginny in the group.

"Not you too?" She asked the petite redhead.

"Well, I thought sure it would happen at the Yule Ball and…well…I thought I might get a nice gift for you with some of my winnings." She added quickly. "Come on Hermione. Don't tell me you're really surprised."

"Oh, I don't think she's surprised at all." Said Lavender.

"Yeah, I don't think she's surprised at all." Reiterated Parvati.

Both girls were looking at them with amusement.

Harry and Hermione looked like they'd been petrified as they exchanged glances with the two girls.

"What are you talking about?" Demanded Ron.

"Do you want to tell them or should we?" Lavender asked Harry and Hermione in that `I know what you've been hiding' voice.

Harry and Hermione looked around the room and finally at each other. Harry grabbed for Hermione's hand and looked at her questioningly. She only nodded but he understood full well that it was time for their secret to come out. And they only got to keep it for three weeks! Damn!

"Well," Said Harry. "You're all wrong."

Everyone started talking at once.

"What do you mean we're all wrong?"

"You know we're right."

"What's wrong with you guys that you can't see what's right under your noses?"

And so it went…and went…and went…

Until…

"ENOUGH!" Shouted Hermione. "Not another word from any of you." She said as she glared around the room. "Not one. Go ahead, Harry."

"Thanks, Hermione." Harry said appreciatively. This was going to be hard enough without having to talk over everyone too. "Now listen closely. I'm only going to say this one time. Do you all understand me?"

Understanding nods came from all around the room. Harry noticed that the room was quieter then it had ever been when this many people were in at once.

"Hermione and I…" Harry began. He was interrupted by the opening of the portrait. "Now what?" He demanded.

He turned around to find Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall staring back at him.

"Sorry to interrupt." Said Professor Dumbledore. "Please, Harry. Continue with your announcement."

"But how did you…I mean…what are you doing here?" Asked Harry in shock.

"Now is not the time for questions Harry…it's the time for announcements. Now carry on." He replied with that ever-visible sparkle in eyes.

"Okay." Harry took a deep breath and tried to continue, "Hermione and I…" He couldn't do it. Damn it! It was between him and Hermione. No one else needed to know. It wasn't their business. This was their secret. He looked at her helplessly and she nodded at him again.

"Hermione and I…" He started again. "Well…let's just say that you all lost because no one bet on 10th November." He finished.

"10th November? What's 10th November? That almost as stupid as 12th March!" Exclaimed Ron. Cautiously looking at Lavender who turned to glare at him.

"10th November? That was three weeks ago." Said Ginny thoughtfully. "What happened three weeks ago?"

Lavender and Parvati shared a knowing look.

"Well…are you going to tell them the rest?" Parvati asked.

"What rest? `The rest' would indicate a beginning. Where's the beginning?" Asked Ron; a note of apprehension in his voice.

"10th November is when we got married." Said Hermione. Her voice impatient but soft. She pulled Harry to her, partly because she was relieved that the secret was out and partly out of fear of what was about to come."

Silence…

A deafening silence filled the room…

Chapter 3 Oops, I Shouldn't Have Said That!

Where had everyone gone?

"Hermione. Hermione wake up! You're dreaming." She could hear Harry's voice as if from a distance. He was lightly shaking her.

"What Harry? What's going on?" She asked groggily.

"You were dreaming. You yelled "ENOUGH" a minute ago. You didn't sound too happy." He smiled at her still sleepy face and the marks that were left from the crinkled pages of the book upon which she'd fallen asleep.

"Oh Harry!" She exclaimed. "I was dreaming that Lavender and Parvati found out about us and we were forced to admit that we got married."

"Well thank goodness it was a dream then." Harry said. "I'm enjoying having you to myself too much to want to share that bit of news just yet. Can you imagine how Mrs. Weasley's going to react? Or Dumbledore? Or Ron?"

"Or Hagrid…?" They said together and laughed. "He'll probably break down and cry and snap us in two with one of those hugs he likes to give." Harry laughed.

Nope. All of that could wait. She decided she liked sharing this secret with him too…at least for now.

"So when did I fall asleep then?" She asked him.

"About an hour ago. The last thing you did was get that book off the shelf, open it up, and then you were out. I didn't want to disturb you so I just kept looking and let you sleep. Must have really worn you out last night, huh?" He laughed. He loved teasing her and he was rewarded by the light flush that he saw on her cheeks.

"Yeah, right! I've been in this library since early this morning looking for that spell. If you'd shown up on time we probably could have been out of here ages ago!" She said in mock frustration.

She thought for a moment about what he'd said. She'd been asleep for an hour so that would mean her dream began when she thought she'd found the spell they were looking for. Although that meant more searching, she couldn't help but feel relieved. That meant that all of the stuff with Lavender and Parvati and the betting hadn't really happened. What a bizarre dream, she thought. Well, at least their secret was still safe.

She returned to the book she'd fallen asleep on and after turning just a few pages she found the spell they'd been looking for. If she'd just stayed awake a couple more minutes they could have already been in The RUN. After looking around the library to be sure no one was watching them, she quickly performed the spell on their rings. Then, after making sure the book was securely placed on the shelf along with the other books they'd gone through, they made their way out of the library. If anyone had seen the look that passed between them or the way they both seemed to be turning an invisible ring on their left hand their secret would have been out in a matter of seconds. As it were, they were still safe…but for how long?

Two weeks later…

Dumbledore made an announcement. "In light of the recent defeat of Voldemort, we will be changing the rules for the Yule Ball this year. Instead of being fourth years and above, we will include the entire school in this year's festivities. In addition, we will be inviting the school alumni and the Tri-Wizard Champions to join us. Enjoy your dinner."

"Why are the Tri-Wizard Champions coming?" Ron asked, thinking about the beautiful Fleur Delacour.

"Well, they did attend Hogwarts that year. They went to classes and everything while they were here. I suppose in a way, that makes them alumni." Hermione answered him. She herself was quite surprised to hear that Viktor may be at Hogwarts in another week. Not that she minded, but it had been a while since they'd last spoken. She briefly wondered how he would feel if he knew that she and Harry had gotten married.

Another week later…

The excitement in the air was palpable. The first through third years couldn't believe how lucky they were. In the history of the Hogwarts Yule Ball this was the first time that lower years were invited to attend. Family members were coming and the Thestrals could be seen (by some anyway) pulling the carriages back and forth from the train.

Hermione had been shut up tight in her room all day. Never had she felt happier about having her own room so she wouldn't be disturbed. She and Harry had agreed to meet in the common room at 6:00 and she was going to take advantage of every second that she had until then. They still hadn't openly admitted to anyone that they were going together but she kind of assumed that most people knew. From the looks she'd been getting from some of the other girls, she was quite certain that many were envious of her. She couldn't help but smile at that. If they only knew the half of it, she thought.

At exactly 5:59 Hermione walked out of her room and descended the stairs to the common room. She stopped short when she saw him standing there. Wow! She thought. I didn't think he could get any hotter! We may be stopping by The RUN before we even make it to the Ball. How in the world am I going to be able to keep my hands off him tonight? She began to blush furiously so she had to force her thoughts elsewhere.

Harry was in the middle of a conversation with Seamus when he sensed her. He looked up and felt the blood rushing through his veins faster than he thought possible. She was breathtaking! How in the world am I going to be able to keep my hands off her when she looks like a goddess? He wondered. This is going to be one really long night.

Even Seamus was staring. The proud part of Harry thought it great that someone else thought his wife was just as beautiful as he did. Another part of him wanted to throttle Seamus for looking at her like that.

Quickly forgetting that anyone else was in the room, Harry stepped forward. "My God. You are…you are beautiful." He stammered. "I didn't think it was possible for you to be any more stunning then you are every day, yet somehow you've managed to transcend perfection. You never cease to amaze me."

"Me?" She responded, awed by his words and more than a little floored by him as well. A look of desire crept into her eyes. "What about you? Do you have any idea how beautiful you are right now?"

"Beautiful?" He laughed. "I don't know that I'd say I'm `beautiful'. It's not a very manly word now, is it?"

"Harry, beautiful is not a gender specific word. It can be used to describe anything that one finds particularly pleasing. And you, Mister Potter, I find very, very pleasing..." She said as she stepped toward him, ready to lose herself in his kiss.

"Ahem."

They both turned toward the direction of the noise. What they saw took them completely by surprise. No less than fifteen sets of eyes were watching them closely.

"All right!" Shouted Ron. "It's Yule Ball time and some of you know what that means. I'll be looking for you all later!"

There were murmurings all around the room…

"Man!"

"That stinks!"

"I knew I should've picked the Yule Ball."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and quickly decided that the best thing for them to do was to get to the Ball and away from the common room.

They left the common room quickly but took their time getting to the ballroom. By the time they got there, the celebration was in full swing. The room had never been more beautifully decorated and the excitement of the evening could be felt before they even got through the door.

Although Harry hated to dance, he needed an excuse to get Hermione into his arms. As they danced, everything around them began to fade away. They were dancing alone on a rooftop. Stars were shining brightly overhead and the steady beat of the music kept their bodies moving despite the fact that time seemed to have stood still…

"Ouch!" Hermione was awoken from her fantasy by Harry's cry of pain. "You stepped on my foot." He said laughing.

"Come on." She said, grabbing his arm. "Let's find a table and you can get us something to drink."

It took them a while, but they finally managed to find a table. Hermione sat down while Harry went to get them both something to drink.

"Well, well, well Granger." She heard the slick voice before she saw the slimy guy attached to it. "Looking good this evening Granger…for a Mudblood." Draco Malfoy sneered.

"Thanks, Malfoy. I think." Replied Hermione as she looked around for Harry.

"Dance with me." he said. "You may be a Mudblood but you are the best looking girl here and I only dance with the best."

"No thanks, Malfoy. I'm waiting for Harry." She replied in disgust.

Not one to take rejection lightly, he grabbed her arm and tried to pull her up from her seat. He managed to get her up and just as he was about to drag her to the dance floor he heard…

"Let go of her Malfoy."

Draco turned to see an extremely irate Harry clenching and unclenching his fists. The pumpkin juice now forming puddles on the floor.

"She agreed to dance with me. We're just going out to the dance floor." Draco smirked.

Harry looked at Hermione who shook her head.

"I said let go of her." He repeated. Anger resounding with every syllable.

Before Draco could do anything Harry yelled, "Get your damn hands OFF MY WIFE!!!!!!"

Chapter 4 Confessions

All around them people stopped what they were doing. Everyone wanting to know if they'd heard him right. The music stopped and not a sound could be heard from any part of the room.

"What?" Spat Draco. "Your wife? What the bloody hell are you talking about Potter?"

Harry looked around him as he became aware of his surroundings. Had he really just said that? His gaze stopped when he got to Hermione and he saw her look of shock. He looked down as he felt a slight warming on his finger where his wedding band rested. The moment he saw the flash he knew the scene was real. Everyone could now see the ring on his finger that only moments ago had not been visible.

Hermione felt the warmth and saw the flash of light on her own finger and realization dawned on her…they could no longer hide the truth. This was not how it was supposed to happen. In a way she was relieved to know they didn't have to hide their love anymore but at the same time, she wasn't sure they were ready to brave the storm. All around the room people began talking softly to one another.

"What on earth is going on here?" Harry heard Mrs. Weasley's voice above all the others. "Harry dear, what was that you said? Did you just say your `wife'?"

"Now, now Molly. Give the boy a moment." Professor Dumbledore said as he joined the crowd that was quickly gathering around Harry.

"But Albus, the boy is delusional. What does he mean his wife? Do you know anything about this? Was he hit on the head during his battle with You-Know-Who?"

"It's Voldemort, Molly and I can assure you that while I cannot be sure at the moment what Harry meant by that comment, I am certain that he is quite sane. Harry?"

Harry wished he knew a spell that would make the floor open up to pull him and Hermione through. Hermione walked over to stand by Harry's side and interlaced her fingers with his, giving him the courage to speak.

He looked directly into Dumbledore's eyes, "Hermione and I were married on 10th November. There was no one there but us, Ministress Bones, and a couple of witnesses who received a memory charm when it was over." The words poured out of him quickly but he looked as though he was daring Dumbledore to say something against it.

"It would appear as though congratulations are in order then. I see that you are wearing a ring. Wonderful thing magic, isn't it? I don't recall seeing that ring before now." Dumbledore said with amusement.

Harry looked at Dumbledore and stammered, "Yeah…yes…we've been wearing them for a few weeks. Hermione put a spell on them so only we could see them. Now the secrets out, the spell is gone."

Where there was shock only moments ago, there were now the resounding sounds of good wishes from all around the room.

Hermione looked around and noticed that some of the other girls were very upset. She could hear some of what they were saying:

"I can't believe he married her!"

"What's she got that I don't?"

"I knew I should've made my move earlier. I swear he was sending out all kinds of signals to me."

Yep… said that little devil on her shoulder. I knew there would be side benefits to being Mrs. Harry Potter. Just look at them! And Hermione couldn't help but laugh. There was nothing they could say that would ruin this moment for her. Until…

She heard Pansy Parkinson talking very loudly to a group of Slytherins…

"Well, I certainly wouldn't envy her. She's probably pregnant. I mean, why else would he marry her?"

Hermione had no idea that Harry had joined her at that moment and that he too heard Pansy's comment. He needed to squash that rumor before it got any further.

Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and they stepped up to the microphone the band had been using earlier, "Excuse me. Excuse me. Can I have your attention please. There's something that I would really like to say."

When the room was quiet and all eyes were focused on him, he began…

"First off, I want to put a stop to any rumors about Hermione being pregnant. We certainly did not get married for that reason." He looked pointedly at Pansy and her group of Slytherins. "As many of you already know, I have known and loved Hermione for years...quite possibly since the moment I met her on that first train ride to Hogwarts. For various reasons I'd spent a great deal of time trying to deny what was right before my eyes. Some of the reasons were valid, some of them were just my own stupidity. But the reasons are mine just the same. Just before the battle with Voldemort I knew that there was no way that I could go into it without telling her how I felt. Apparently she'd been thinking the same thing. Suffice it to say that we'd finally found our way to each other that night. Okay…likely not in the way some of you chaps might be thinking…"

Many people started to laugh at that and Harry smiled and continued…

"We talked for a long time that night and…" Harry paused as he heard Michael Corner mutter, "Yeah, right. They talked!"

"Yes, Corner. We talked. Not that the rest of it is anyone's business but mine and Hermione's."

Michael's face turned a deep red and he looked away in embarrassment.

"Anyway, as I was saying. We talked for a long time that night and together we decided that neither of us ever wanted to be alone again. If we survived the battle with Voldemort then we would get married." He paused to look at Hermione, his face expressing his feelings more than his words ever could. "We'd planned to do it as a celebration with our friends and families but when Voldemort was defeated we decided that we didn't want to wait. So much of my life to that point had been about doing what others wanted me to do and Hermione's had been centered around doing whatever she could to keep me alive (more laughter and some nodding heads). Once my destiny had been fulfilled, for the first time in my life I had a chance to be selfish and I asked Hermione to marry me that day and she agreed. It's been the best six weeks of my life and for the first time ever, I am looking forward to the future."

Hermione reached for the microphone, gave Harry a quick kiss on the cheek, and then she too began to speak. "I know…we know," she began, gesturing between herself and Harry, "that this has come as a great shock to most, if not all of you. But please understand. Yes, we are young but we have faced things in our lives that many adults have never faced. We have literally been through too many life or death scenarios and we've always managed to survive them…together. Voldemort had taken away so much from so many and there was no way that we could let him take what we had; so we didn't."

Hermione's eyes misted as she continued, "I see how some of you girls look at me and I hear the things you say. I want to clear something up right now. The biggest difference between me and all of you is that I fell in love with Harry Potter. I only love The-Boy-Who-Lived because he is a part of who Harry is. This is not about being the wife of the `Famous-Harry-Potter'…this is about two people who love each other and can't imagine the rest of their lives without the other in it. So you can carry on with your snide remarks and feelings of bitterness but know this…Harry will always be married to me and pining away for something you can't have takes precious time away from finding whatever good man might be out there waiting for you."

When Hermione finished speaking there were tears in her eyes. Harry turned her toward him and kissed her. The kiss was long and sweet and she practically melted right there on the stage. When he released her he looked straight into her eyes and said, " I love you Mrs. Potter, with every fiber of my being."

"Ahem."

Not again, thought Harry. How many times tonight is she going to make me forget where I am?

They looked around and for the first time, they realized that many of the women and girls had begun to cry.

"Cool." Exclaimed Ron. In an effort to lighten the mood he said, "Hey Harry. Can you loan me some money? I seem to have lost a bet mate, and I haven't any money on me."

"A bet?" Asked Harry. "What kind of bet?"

"Well, you see…a while back a few of us started making bets on when you two would finally hook up. Seeing as how I thought it would be tonight and it was actually weeks ago, I lost. So, you got some money to lend your best mate?"

"You what?" Said Harry loudly. "You're making wagers on me and Hermione and you want me to give you money to pay it off? Have you lost your mind?"

"Well, Harry, it is sorta your fault that I lost. You could've waited until tonight you know. Besides, I said money to loan not give…" Ron said a little sheepishly.

Harry couldn't help but laugh. "So, how many other people are in on this with you?"

At this point Dumbledore stepped in. "Um…Harry, dear boy, haven't I taught you to not ask questions you're not sure you want the answer to?"

"Yes," said Harry, "but why would I not want the answer to this question?"

"Very well." Replied Dumbledore. "Everyone who has placed a bet on Harry and Hermione please go to that side of the room. All others, that side."

Harry and Hermione couldn't have been more shocked if they'd been zapped in an electric chair or struck by lightning. It appeared as though the only people who hadn't bet on them were the students who were below sixth year, a handful of professors, most of the alumni, and a majority of the Slytherins. When they looked to the side of the room where the people who had placed bets were gathered, they were astonished to find Mrs. Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore, Hagrid, Remus, all of the Gryffindor sixth and seventh years…the crowd went on and on.

"Whoa!" Exclaimed Harry.

"Oh my goodness." Whispered Hermione who still hadn't recovered from the shock.

They looked to each and at the same time said, "This many people were making bets on when we were going to get together?" Hermione wondered, why does this all seem so familiar?

As they continued to scan the crowd they both took a step back when their eyes rested on a smirking Malfoy.

"Malfoy?" Said a surprised Harry.

"As my father says, always bet on a sure thing. I did. I just got the wrong date." Draco said, shrugging it off. None of it really mattered to him anyway.

"So," Harry asked, although this time he wasn't really sure he wanted to know the answer, "who won?"

Ron stepped forward. "Apparently you did, mate. And in more ways then one I might add!" He looked at them both and laughed. He couldn't have been happier for them and it was worth the money lost to see them happy. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, Ron." Hermione said, looking at him gratefully. "We've been struggling with when to tell you. We really didn't intend to leave you out of this. I must admit though, I thought you'd be upset it."

"What's the point? I knew a long time ago you two would end up together. I admit I'm a little hurt that you didn't tell me, but I suppose that after all we've been through, especially Harry, you're entitled to a secret. Only one though…from now on you better tell me everything." Ron said, laughing at the surprised look on Hermione's face.

"Oh my," said a dreamy voice, "a mature Ronald. Who would have ever thought it possible? You know, I find that a very sexy quality in a man."

Hermione fought back the laugh that was fighting to get out and she gently grabbed Luna's arm, "Oh Luna, look, you've embarrassed him." At the sight of Ron's face and the redness of his ears, Hermione could no longer control her laughter, "It's okay Ronald when a pretty girl says your sexy that's a good thing. Now get out of here you two." She reached for Ron, bringing him in for another quick hug and whispered, "Love you, Ron. Now go get em, Tiger!"

"Love you too, Hermione." Ron said, shaking his head and laughing at her comment. Women!

Chapter 5 Everybody…All Together Now…

"So…"

"Harry…"

"Nicely done mate."

"Yeah, nice one!"

Harry turned around to find Fred and George approaching him. Harry shook hands with both of them and Hermione embraced each in turn.

"Well, mate. You know, Fred here made a wager on tonight and well, my bet was for Christmas Eve..." George told him.

"SO…" said Fred, "we came prepared, just in case."

"Watch this!" Said George excitedly.

Fred pulled a small box wrapped in multi-colored paper from his pocket. "Pull the string." He said as he handed the box to Harry.

Always a little apprehensive about Fred and George's `surprises' Harry and Hermione reluctantly pulled the string. There was a loud bang as letters shot out of the box and began to float into the air. About eight feet above their heads the letters formed the words, "CONGRATULATIONS HARRY AND HERMIONE. IT'S ABOUT TIME, DON'T YOU THINK?" and in smaller letters they could barely make out, "real cash only; no leprechaun gold accepted for the payment of any bet."

"Well the first part is brilliant," said Harry still in awe. "I'm not quite sure what to make of the tag line though."

"Well…" started George.

"You know how it is mate. We couldn't just leave it at congratulations…" Fred continued.

"Now could we?" George finished.

"Harry, my boy! Congratulations. Congratulations. Molly and I were so hoping for the opportunity to see the wedding but we know, we know." Mr. Weasley said as he gave Harry a fatherly hug. "You know you're an honorary son and it's always so much better when you get to see your son get married, you know? Although…I have to say…you are the first to do so…well, anyway. Just wanted to congratulate you. You too Hermione, that's quite a lad you got there. Makes you part of the family too, you know. Welcome, welcome." Mr. Weasley pulled Hermione into a hug and kissed her affectionately on the top of her head; just as he would have done Ginny.

"Herm-own-ninny! Herm-own-ninny! Over here." There was only one person who butchered her name that badly and Hermione turned around and saw Viktor Krum heading her way. She smiled at him as he hugged her. "Vat did I tell you Herm-own-ninny? Vat did I tell you? Did I not say that you and Harry vould come together? Congratulations."

"Thank you Viktor. You were right, I have always loved Harry. I was just too blind to see it." Hermione replied, happy to see that Viktor didn't appear to be upset by the news. On the contrary, he seemed rather happy. "All right, Viktor. Come on. Who is she?" Hermione teased.

"Vell, if you must know, I haf come tonight vith Fleur. Do you remember her? From the Tri-Vizard Tournament. Ve haf - how you say - gone out? on a few dates. I like her." Viktor replied, his cheeks turning the slightest shade of red.

"That's wonderful Viktor. I really hope it works out for you." Hermione said, giving him one more hug.

Harry saw Viktor heading toward Hermione and for just a moment he felt a pang of jealousy. When she sensed him watching her she looked at him and smiled. He practically kicked himself for allowing any part of him to be jealous. He knew Hermione loved him…though he couldn't help but wonder just exactly what they were talking about.

As Hermione was talking to Viktor a lone figure was making her way toward Harry. "I knew it!" Harry recognized the voice before he saw her; Cho. "I knew you were in love with Hermione. Why did you even bother with me, Harry?"

"Excuse me?" Harry asked.

"You heard me. Why did you even bother with me? Even back then your feelings for your precious Hermione were evident. Why did you go out with me? Why did you make me like you?" Cho asked in a voice dripping with sarcasm and tinged with anger.

"Well, at the time I suppose I thought I fancied you. Can't recall why though now that I think about it. Why did you bother with me? All you ever wanted to do was talk about Cedric and you knew that was the one subject I didn't want to talk about." He replied.

"I thought you of all people would understand what I was going through after Cedric was killed." Cho said, her eyes downcast.

"Cho, I did understand but you weren't there when it happened. You didn't have to watch as someone you know got killed. I understand the hurt and the frustration but you'll never understand the pain that comes from not being able to do anything to prevent it from happening in the first place. That portkey was meant for me. Cedric shouldn't have been there. Talking about it with you, or anyone else for that matter, forced me to relive that moment over and over and it wasn't something I was keen to do so soon after it happened. You should have understood that." Harry finished softly, the pain still evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Harry. You're right. Besides, this is supposed to be a party. I really only came over here to congratulate you and I ended up snapping at you. It's been two years…you'd think I'd be over it by now. Good luck, Harry." With that, she turned and walked away.

When Viktor left Hermione to return to Fleur she turned around to look for Harry and saw him talking to Cho. She decided to stand back and just watch the interaction between them. She saw Harry's shoulders slump as he was talking to her and she saw the momentary flash of hurt in Cho's eyes. Before she could make her way over to them, Cho had abruptly turned and walked away.

"Harry, are you all right?" Hermione asked as she slid her arms around his back.

He slowly turned into her arms and pulled her tightly to him, "I am now," he sighed.

"HERMIONE!"

Hermione let go of Harry just as she was pulled into a tight hug by Ginny. "I can't believe it!" Ginny squealed. "I am so jealous! But I'm not the least bit surprised. I've seen that coming since my first year. I just don't understand what took so long. Oh well, the important thing is that you finally figured it out."

Hermione laughed, "Ginny, you're rambling. Slow down."

"Oh…sorry. I'm just so excited for you." Ginny said as she pulled Hermione aside. "Now you have to tell me…is he as good in bed as he is at Quidditch? Any trouble catching the snitch, if you know what I mean?"

"GINNY!" Hermione was shocked. "I can't believe you just asked me that!"

"Well…come on, Hermione. Even you joined in a discussion or two about whether or not Harry would be any good. Now that you know for sure, I'd just like to know whether or not I was right." Ginny replied unabashedly.

Hermione laughed, "Well, between you and me…he's bloody fantastic!"

"I knew it!" Ginny cried. "Man…he'd have to be, wouldn't he? The boy is perfect! Perfect!" Ginny was still muttering as she walked away leaving a blushing Hermione staring after her.

Just then Neville and Luna joined them.

"C…c…congratulations Harry." Neville stammered.

"What's wrong Neville? You all right?" Harry asked his friend. Concern evident in his voice.

"Sorry, Harry. Just thinking about my mum and dad. My gran tells me they were young and happy once. I just wish I could remember them that way. Don't worry about me, I'm always a little emotional at times like this. Not what you want to hear, I know, but…" Neville looked as though he wanted to cry.

"It's all right Neville. I understand. I've heard the same things about my mum and dad." Harry said with a note of sadness in his voice.

"I am really delighted for you, Harry. If anyone deserves to be happy, it's you and Hermione. You've earned it." Neville said as he shook Harry's hand. Harry gave Neville a quick hug and thanked him for everything. Neville had been there for him when it mattered the most and Harry would be forever grateful to him.

"Oh…hello Harry. Hello Hermione." Luna's dreamy voice broke gently into Harry's thoughts. She almost looked as though she was surprised to see them there. "Congratulations to you both. I knew you'd get married someday. Ah yes, I could see it in your eyes when we first met two years ago."

"Thank you, Luna. It would seem as though you were not alone in your thinking. Apparently we are the only ones in the room who didn't know years ago." Hermione smiled at her friend. As frustrating as Luna could be, Hermione had developed a soft spot for her since their battle at the ministry and Luna had been an invaluable asset to them during the final battle with Voldemort.

"Bye, then," said Luna. "I must go and find Ronald before the other girls try to get him now they know they can't have Harry."

Harry and Hermione chuckled as Luna made her way toward the tall redhead who'd been watching them from a short distance away.

"I'm getting tired," Hermione said to Harry as she lay her head against his shoulder. "This certainly wasn't what I expected to happen tonight. Before coming in here the only thing I could think about what escaping to The RUN with you. Now all I can think about is laying my head on the pillow and sleeping for the next 12 hours."

"I know what you mean," he replied. He lifted her chin and looked into her eyes. His eyes spoke volumes and she couldn't resist leaning into him and capturing his lips with her own. As they kissed, the world around them disappeared once again. "Come on, let's go to The RUN. Even if all we can do is hold each other, it'll be worth it to spend the next few hours alone with you."

Hermione grasped his hand and started to lead him toward the exit.

"Aye Harry! Where yeh off to? Not leavin `fore yeh see me, are yeh?" Hagrid's voice was loud even with the noise of the others in the ballroom. "Best not run out `fore I get to say my congratulations. `Lo Hermione. Way to go Harry, Hermione. Congratulations." Hagrid often had trouble expressing himself so they silently prepared themselves for the bone crushing hug they knew was coming. Hagrid grabbed them both about the waist and lifted them a few feet off the ground.

"Thanks, Hagrid." Both Harry and Hermione somehow managed to squeak out. In his excitement Hagrid didn't realize just how tight he was holding them. "Hagrid. H…H…Hagrid," Harry coughed, "can - you please - put us down?

"Sorry Harry. Gotta `lil excited there, eh? I'm prouda yeh, yeh know? Both a yeh." Hagrid said as he wiped a few stray tears from his eyes.

"Thanks, Hagrid. We're proud of you too." Hermione told him. "You've always been there for us and we hope that you'll be a part of our lives even after we leave Hogwarts."

"Can' get ridda me too easy there Hermione. I'll always be `round. Yeh can count on that, yeh can." Hagrid said with a smile like a proud father.

They hugged him again and excused themselves for the evening when they heard…

"Mr. Potter. Miss Granger. Our new celebrity couple. I should take 10 points from each of you for costing me the bet. You were not supposed to get together until graduation. However, since this is supposed to be a celebration I shall let it slide…this time." Although Professor Snape was sneering at them, for the first time in either of their memories, they could see a spark of amusement in his dark eyes.

"Thank you, Professor. Good night then." Harry said, feeling slightly off kilter after seeing the look in Snape's eyes.

"That must be everyone by now, don't you think?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Mr. Potter. Miss Granger. A moment of your time please."

Harry and Hermione shared a look, took a deep breath, and turned to see Professor McGonagall coming toward them.

"Hello Professor." They said together.

"I must say that I am quite shocked by the events of this evening. Although I must admit that I am not surprised to find that you once again made up your own rules. I'm proud of you both and I wish you the best." McGonagall said, her eyes beginning to get misty. "It has been a pleasure having you in this school for the last six and a half years. No finer students have ever graced the halls of Hogwarts. I expect that for the remainder of the school year your performances will not be affected by this rather surprising turn of events. This shall not interfere with your studies. Do I make myself clear to both of you?"

"Yes, Professor. We understand. No need to worry. Hermione has always kept me on track and I'm quite confident that she will continue to do so." Harry replied. Knowing that no truer words had ever been spoken.

Professor McGonagall smiled, wished them well, and returned to Professor Dumbledore who began to speak in an animated fashion; waving his arms around and making her laugh. It was a wonderful sight to behold. Before the defeat of Voldemort moments like this were rare and though they were more common now, it still took them by surprise on occasion.

"Let's go. Hurry." Harry said as he grabbed Hermione's hand and rushed out the door. They rushed down the hallway as people were shouting congratulations and best wishes to them. They waved at them in acknowledgement but refused to slow down their pace. They made it to The Room of Urgent Need in record time.

"Whew." Said Hermione. "I didn't think we were ever going to get out of there. It went a lot better than we thought it would though, didn't it? Did you see the look on the girl's faces when they heard that you were married? I really wish I had a camera. That would give me license to tease you for years! Maybe I'll ask Colin if he got any pictures."

"How could I notice the faces of the other girls in the room when I couldn't take my eyes off the woman I fell in love with? I have no idea how they looked, what they thought, or why any of this mattered to them. All night my only thoughts have been of you…and yours is the only face I ever care to look at. I get lost every time I look into those beautiful brown eyes and most of the time I don't care if I ever find my way home. I want to stay lost forever." There was passion in his voice as he spoke and as Hermione looked into his eyes she felt that familiar flutter in her stomach.

Harry pulled Hermione into his arms and gently kissed her lips. "I love you, Mrs. Potter." He said.

"I love you, Mr. Potter." Hermione replied softly.

Moments later they fell asleep wrapped tightly in each other's arms.

Chapter 6 A Surprise Engagement

The next day…

Harry and Hermione slept late the next morning. Remembering where they were, they looked at each other and smiled. Now everyone knew and they didn't have to try and hide anymore. They left The RUN and went to the Gryffindor common room to get cleaned up and to change for breakfast. When they finally made their way to the Great Hall, they were met by silence. The Hall looked different then it usually did at breakfast. Many of the guests who had attended the party the night before were still there the next morning. Everyone was seated at their house tables and several guest tables had been arranged along the perimeter of the room. Down the middle of the Hall was a path leading straight to Professor Dumbledore at the High Table. Hermione and Harry entered, looked around cautiously, and headed for their usual spot at the Gryffindor table.

"Excuse me, Mr. Potter, Miss Granger. Please, come forth. I'd like to have a word." Harry and Hermione halted at Dumbledore's words. When they looked up at the High Table he nodded and beckoned them toward him. Slowly they made their way up the path aware of hundreds of sets of eyes watching their every move.

"Yes, Sir?" Said Harry when they stopped in front of Dumbledore.

"Harry. Hermione. I have something I wish to tell you. Last night, after you retired for the evening everyone who had placed a bet put forth their money and made a decision on how best to utilize it. Seeing as how we all lost, we thought it only fair that the money should somehow benefit the two of you. As such, we have arranged a wedding to take place today in this very room. Harry, I ask that you head straight to the Prefect's bathroom and Hermione you head straight back to your dormitory. All of the details have already been arranged and we shall commence the ceremony in two hours time."

Harry and Hermione were amazed. Not only was their secret out, but the very people they were most frightened to tell had planned a wedding for them and they would be able to share their happiness with their loved ones.

"Thank you, Sir. I…we…are overwhelmed. If it's not any trouble, I'd like Ginny Weasley to stand with me." She turned to look for Ginny and was disappointed to see that she wasn't sitting in her usual spot at the Gryffindor table.

"Fear not Miss Granger. As I have said, all arrangements have already been made. Miss Weasley can be found in your dormitory, anxiously awaiting your arrival, I presume."

Harry looked around for Ron and when he couldn't be found at the Gryffindor table Harry assumed that he was waiting for him just as Ginny was waiting for Hermione.

Harry and Hermione walked quietly out of the Great Hall, forgetting all about breakfast. When they entered the hallway, they paused to look at each other before separating for the next two hours. Neither of them could speak so they simply kissed and headed toward their destinations.

Hermione took one look back at Harry as they parted ways outside the Great Hall. She was shaking with anticipation and she could tell, even from behind, that Harry was just as excited as she was. They both had a spring in their step that hadn't been seen since they married the first time.

When Harry arrived in the Prefect's bathroom he found Ron and Dobby waiting for him.

"Hello, Dobby. I missed seeing you last night. Is everything all right?" Harry greeted his friend.

"Oh, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby wishes he'd known sooner so he could get Harry Potter a wedding present. Dobby will have to get sir a present after the wedding. There is lots to do now to get ready." Dobby replied, looking as though he was going to cry at any moment.

Harry put a hand on Dobby's shoulder and said, "It's okay Dobby. Only Hermione and I knew. This is a surprise to everyone, even Ron. You really don't need to give us anything."

"But Dobby owes Harry Potter very much. Harry Potter set Dobby free and now Dobby is happy. Dobby would not be happy if it wasn't for sir." He answered.

Not wanting to offend him Harry complied, "Okay Dobby, but there's no hurry. Don't feel bad because you don't have something today."

Dobby smiled, "Yes Harry Potter, sir."

"Hiya Harry." Ron said. "You ready to get this started then? You make this kind of difficult, you know? It's kind of hard to get on you about second thoughts and committing yourself to one woman forever when you've already done it, know what I mean?"

Harry laughed, "Well Ron, it wouldn't matter anyway because there's nothing I want more than to commit myself to Hermione forever. I was afraid if I'd waited any longer someone else would have swooped in and taken her right out from under me."

"No worries, mate," Ron told him. "Hermione's loved you since we started this adventure. She might have gone with Vicky to the Yule Ball in fourth year, but she was thinking about you the whole time."

Surprised, Harry asked, "What makes you say that? It wasn't that long ago that we finally admitted how we felt. How could you have known three years ago?"

Ron was laughing, "Well why else would she pass up a bloke like me if not for Harry Potter? There's no one else good enough for our Hermione."

"All right. You got me on that one. You're right. There's no one else good enough. I'm just glad you got over her so quickly. This wouldn't be nearly so much fun now if you hadn't!" Harry said, taking the conversation in a more serious direction. "I don't know what I'd do if you weren't accepting of this."

Ron looked him straight in the eyes when he replied, "Don't worry about it Harry. I knew a long time ago that someone else had Hermione's heart. I could only guess at who it was, but I knew I couldn't compete with the lucky bastard. I'm only happy it's you…relieved, actually. I hate to think about having to kick someone's arse!"

At that, they both laughed and shared a quick hug before Harry headed to the shower. After which, he was shown to his tuxedo and he began to get ready for his bride.

When Hermione arrived in her dorm room she was greeted by Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, and her mother.

"Mum!" Hermione cried as she grabbed her mother to hug her. "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I know you're probably disappointed in me, but we just weren't ready…"

"It's okay, sweetheart. Believe it or not your father and I both understand. We were young once too remember?" Her mother replied, gently running her hands through her daughter's hair. "We've always kind of assumed that you and Harry would get married one day. The only thing shocking about it is that you did it before you graduated. You and Harry have been through a lot together and unfortunately you've had to grow up faster than your father and I would have liked. Marriage is a lot of responsibility but we've always had a lot of faith in you and we believe that you'll both be able to make this work."

Hermione began to cry. She couldn't believe how fortunate she was. She had the best parents anyone could ask for and now she had Harry too. She knew she'd spend a lifetime trying to prove that she was worthy of her blessings.

Mrs. Weasley appeared from the other room and said, "Okay, dear. We only have 1 hour and 35 minutes until you have to be ready. I think we better get started. We might have the advantage of magic, but these things still take time."

After a quick shower Hermione returned to her room and sat down in the chair at her desk. She didn't have a dressing table so her books had been moved to the floor and replaced with makeup and hair supplies. With just a touch of magic her hair was dried and straightened. With the exception of a few loose tendrils the front of her hair was pulled tightly back into a ponytail and clasped with a beautiful diamond-inlaid barrette. The hair was then curled into tiny ringlets that hung loosely past her shoulders. The loose tendrils framing her face were then curled the same as the back and a few light touches of makeup completed the look.

"But I don't have a dress or anything." Hermione said. "Should I look through my closet and pick the nicest thing I have…?"

Her mother interrupted, "Honey, after we received the call from Professor Dumbledore I took the liberty of pulling my wedding dress from storage. It's quite simple but lovely. I hope you don't mind."

Hermione remembered how beautiful her mother looked in her wedding pictures and she remembered the dress very well. It was far from simple. It was beautiful and elegant and it would be perfect.

The dress was white satin with a low neckline and long, chiffon sleeves that covered her shoulders and belled out just below her elbows. The sleeves were held in place by chiffon strings that were tied at the base of her neck in the back. Gold and silver embroidery and beading were beautifully sewn throughout the bodice. Although the sleeves were attached to the dress under her arms, the bodice itself appeared to be sleeveless. The top began at the swell of her breasts and flowed around to the base of her shoulder blades. It ended with a low v waistline, which appeared to lie over the top of the skirt. The skirt had an A-line shape with a fitted look at the top and a subtle flaring to the bottom. It was solid white satin and when she stood the fabric folded smoothly upon the floor. The satin shimmered when she moved and she looked as though she were floating just above the ground.

Hermione had lost weight during the time leading up to the final battle with Voldemort so a few well-placed spells were necessary to make the dress fit perfectly. When all of the finishing touches were complete she was breathtaking.

"Where's Ginny?" Hermione asked, looking around for her friend.

"Oh, she'll be around in a minute. She had to get ready too." Mrs. Weasley told her.

Not more than a minute later Ginny entered the room. The front of her hair was pulled up with an emerald clip and the back of her hair hung in ringlets down her back; much like Hermione's. Her dress was a shade of green that perfectly matched Hermione's favorite; the color of Harry's eyes. She looked stunning.

"Ginny, you look beautiful. I'm so happy you're here with me." Hermione told her as she tried to fight back the tears. She didn't want to have to freshen her makeup.

"Thanks, Hermione. You look absolutely amazing yourself. I hope Harry doesn't faint at the sight of you." Ginny said as she gave her friend a hug. "Let's go."

While the girls were talking to Hermione's mother, Mrs. Weasley put the finishing touches on her own appearance. Everyone looked wonderful.

Had she the time to plan her own wedding, Hermione would not have changed one thing to this point. It was as if Dumbledore had entered her dreams and brought all her hopes and wishes to life.

Chapter 7 The Wedding

The doors to the Great Hall were closed when they got there. Hermione's father was standing just outside the door waiting for his beautiful daughter to arrive. When she saw him she ran into his arms just as she had when she was a little girl. "Daddy! I'm so happy you're here. I'm so sorry we didn't tell you we'd gotten married. We just weren't prepared to let anyone know just yet." Hermione cried as he picked her up and swung her around slowly, careful not to mess up her dress or her hair.

"It's all right sweetheart. I understand. Don't feel bad. We're here for you now." He whispered. Although he was no longer swinging her around, he was still holding tightly to his little girl. "Are you ready?"

She nodded.

Just before Hermione entered the Great Hall Harry whispered to Ron, "Do me a favor, Ron. Stand close to me in case I fall when she comes in. You wouldn't believe the effect she has on me. Most of the time I forget where I am."

"No worries, mate." Ron answered.

A minute later the doors to the Great Hall opened and music began to play. Hermione's mother entered with Mrs. Weasley and together they found their seats. Ginny walked up the aisle next and Hermione could hear the gasps coming from the people in attendance. When Ginny met Harry at the end of the aisle she kissed him on the cheek and whispered, "Be prepared Harry. I've never seen anyone look so beautiful." When she made her way to her spot across from Ron the Muggle wedding march began to play and Hermione and her father began their walk.

Hermione and Harry both kept their eyes on the ground until Hermione got near the half-way point. Together they looked up and when their eyes met both of them stumbled just a little. If Harry thought Hermione had transcended perfection the night before, that was nothing compared to now. He had never seen anyone or anything so gloriously beautiful in all his life. He was astounded.

Hermione thought there was no way Harry could have looked any better than he did last night for the Yule Ball. Once again she was floored. He was wearing a black tuxedo, a stark white shirt, and a tie and cummerbund the same color green as Ginny's dress. His eyes were more radiant then she'd ever seen them. His hair was exactly the way she loved it; unruly…she wouldn't have it any other way, on this day or any other. He was magnificent.

She got lost in his smile and for a brief moment she forgot where she was until her father whispered, "All right, sweetheart. This is where our journey ends and your new journey begins." She turned to look at him and as she kissed him on the cheek she whispered, "Thank you daddy but you know our journey will never really end. We just have one more person along for the ride." With that she turned and joined her husband.

When she reached his side Harry took her hands in his and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

Ministress Bones was asked to once again join the couple in marriage and she began the ceremony by saying, "If it's all right with the bride and groom, I have a few words I'd like to say before we get started." When they nodded she said, "I and the world owe a great debt to Mr. Potter and Miss Granger…as well as to Mr. Weasley here." She added, as she waved her hand toward Ron. "As many of you know, they were part of a group that saved my life last year when the Dark Lord and some of his more loyal followers tried to overtake the Ministry. For that there is no reward great enough...and so, it was with great pleasure that I married these two young adults six weeks ago. I will not apologize for conducting the secret ceremony or for charming the memories of the only other witnesses but I will say that it is with greater pleasure that I perform this ceremony today in front of friends, family, and loved ones. Congratulations Harry and Hermione. Now, let's begin."

The ceremony began in typical Muggle fashion. Hermione's father struggled with the thought of `giving' his baby girl `away' but somehow managed to say the words, "Her mother and I do." Hermione smiled at him softly with tears in her eyes and mouthed the words, "Thank you."

When the vows were spoken and the rings exchanged Ministress Bones surprised them by asking if there was anything they'd like to say to each other.

Everything had happened so fast that neither of them had given thought to what they might want to say. The words would be unrehearsed and straight from the heart. They looked at each other and then nodded to Ministress Bones.

"Very good, then. Harry…"

Harry turned to look into Hermione's eyes and breathlessly said the words he'd been dying to say since he first saw her walking down the aisle, "Wow! You look absolutely amazing. I … I … I don't even know where to begin." He swallowed hard and continued, "I've spent so much of my life wallowing in self-pity, wondering why it had to be my destiny to battle Voldemort. I thought the fates hadn't been fair to me and I would have traded this life with anyone just for the chance to live normally; without the constant fear. It took me until recently to realize that I was focusing my attention on all the wrong parts of my life. I had wonderful friends, I was accepted into the Weasley family, and most importantly I had you. You have literally saved my life more times then I could even count. When you married me the first time six weeks ago, you not only saved my life; you saved my soul. You brought me peace, happiness, and a love that I thought would never be meant for me. I know it's cliché, but I am by far the luckiest man alive. I promise you Hermione that I will never stop trying to prove that I am worthy of your love. Every day, for the rest of our lives, I will cherish you above all else and I will love you with my entire being. I am yours heart and mind, body and soul. Thank you for being you and for loving me."

"Beautiful, Harry. Hermione…" Hermione barely heard Ministress Bones encouraging her to speak.

"Wow, Harry." Hermione said as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "Are you sure that wasn't written out beforehand? You've managed to put me at a loss for words and I don't mind saying that's no easy task." There was soft laughter from around the room.

After taking a deep breath she began, "Harry, when I look at your face I see a boy forced by fate to become a man long before he should've had. When I look into your eyes I see a wisdom that should come from age, not just experience. It's when I see your smile and hear your laughter, that I am reminded over and over again of your amazing spirit. You never cease to amaze me. You stand before me and talk about wallowing in self-pity but I've never seen it that way. Nothing has come easy for you but you have accepted everything that's been handed you and you persevered. You succeeded where many before you failed. Where most people would have become bitter and resentful, you became compassionate and loving. You are simply the best person I know and I promise to spend the rest of my life showing you just how wonderful you are. We are in this together and I will never let you down. You are my life, my soul; the embodiment of all that is good and all that I strive to be. I love you for now and for always."

When Hermione finished speaking Harry lifted his hand and gently wiped the tears from her eyes. He pulled her close and kissed her, not the least bit aware of the fact that they hadn't been pronounced husband and wife and the words, "you may kiss the bride" had not been spoken.

"Ahem."

Here we go again, thought Harry. Only this time, he could only hope that he'd spend forever getting lost in her.

Ministress Bones cleared her throat in an effort to get their attention. They didn't realize it had taken her three tries, each time louder than the time before. When she finally had their attention she said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may…once again…kiss your bride."

Harry beamed at her, grabbed his wife, and kissed her long, slow, and sweet while their friends and family laughed, cried, and applauded the happy couple.

Chapter 8 A Glimpse of the Reception

The reception became a loud, raucous party with everyone dancing and sharing Harry and Hermione stories.

"Remember when Hermione had Harry's Firebolt confiscated? Thought that was the end of them then, I did. Looking back though, I don't know who was more angry, Ron or Harry."

"I know Harry had to beg her talk to him again. He was all over her trying to apologize."

"How about in second year when Hermione ran across the Great Hall and gave him that hug. That really had people going for a long time."

"Or when she kissed him at the train station at the end of fourth year. That was a good one. His expression! Now that was funny!"

"Yeah, I was half expecting him to say, `I'll never wash this cheek again'."

"Be nice to have a picture of that one, wouldn't it?"

The stories went on and on until it was time for dinner and a toast.

As best man the toast fell to Ron. "Well, this is it. My two best friends…married…and I'm the one who has to share a room with him for the next six months! Lucky me. At least his dreams should be more pleasant now! Seriously, I've known for a long time that Harry and Hermione would one day wise up and get together. Spending so much time with them over the past six years has been enlightening, let me tell you. I highly doubt I'll ever see another couple more meant for each other…no offense to all you couples out there I mean, I'm talking about me too! Just look at how accepting you lot have been…how accepting we've all been. Sure there's some jealousy, but who can blame you? She's hot!" Ron said, enjoying the expressions on his friends' faces. "Oh yeah, and for you girls I suppose Harry ain't so bad either. Anyway, let me wrap this up by saying, `congratulations to the both of you. I love you both, you'll always be my best mates! Take care of each other. TO HARRY AND HERMIONE!"

"TO HARRY AND HERMIONE!" The rest cheered.

Chapter 9 Rita Skeeter…a Reporter of Few Words?

It seemed that even Rita Skeeter was at a loss for words…

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger

The Wizarding World's Most Powerful New(?) Couple

Listen closely and you may hear the sound of breaking hearts all around the wizarding world tonight, writes Rita Skeeter. Young witches and wizards everywhere were shocked last night by the surprise announcement of the marriage of Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger.

Last night the Hogwarts Annual Yule Ball, which is generally an occasion reserved for fourth year students and higher, was host to all Hogwarts students, alumni, and the Tri-Wizard Champions of three years ago. It was at this event that an altercation between Mr. Potter and Mr. Draco Malfoy resulted in the startling revelation that Mr. Potter and Miss Granger had married on 10th November in a secret ceremony performed by Ministress Bones. Two unknown witnesses were in attendance as well but received memory charms when the private ceremony ended.

"She's really nice. Beautiful too. I was just waiting until we got out of Hogwarts and away from her two best friends, Harry and Ron, before I asked her out. Harry can be especially intimidating, seeing as how he had all that stuff going on with You-Know-Who." Admitted young Justin Finch-Fletchley.

Viktor Krum, who was present at the Yule Ball had this to say, "I knew Hermione vould haf Harry. I am happy for them. She is vonderful person. I vish them vell." One can only hope that's true since the person Krum would `miss the most' during the second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament was none other than Miss Granger.

In another surprising twist, the couple discovered that hundreds of fellow students, teachers, and alumni had placed bets on when the couple would finally admit their love for each other. As no one picked 10th November, those who placed bets unanimously decided to use the money to do something special for the couple.

In less than one day Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, orchestrated his greatest magical achievement to date: a dream wedding for the famous pair. He had this to say about the couple, "Only one time in my many years have I seen a couple as much in love as Mr. Potter and Miss Granger. That couple willingly sacrificed their lives to save their child … so he could one day save our world. There is no greater love than that. Who are we to stand in the way of that kind of love?"

With those words we bring to a close the story of The-Boy-Who-Lived and the woman who won his heart. May you move forward in peace and happiness Mr. and Mrs. Harry James Potter.

Epilogue What the Hell Ever Happens on 12th March

Lavender was sure she had the gift of `sight'. It still bothered her that 12th March could be so clearly seen in her mind when she was thinking about Harry and Hermione. She was determined to pay close attention to that day until she discovered its significance.

Two years later …

So, it was the third point of the triangle she was seeing…she had been so busy focusing on Harry and Hermione that she didn't go far enough to see that 12th March was Ron's day, not theirs.

Lavender was reading the paper when she came across the announcement.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Weasley are pleased to announce the marriage of their son Ronald Weasley to Miss Luna Lovegood, daughter of Mr. Lovegood, Editor of The Quibbler. The couple plans to marry 12th March near the atrium at the Ministry of Magic. Ministress Bones will be presiding. All friends are welcome to come and join the celebration. Harry and Hermione Potter will be best man and maid of honor respectively.

What the hell ever happens on 12th March, isn't that what Ron asked her over and over again? I guess I'll just have to tell him, Lavender thought with a smile.

A/N There is probably a lot of stuff left out of this. Ron's toast and his conversation with Hermione were last minute and possibly not as well thought out as they should have been. I didn't want love scenes to be the focus of this story, so I decided not to include any…only references. And yes…I am aware that some people should have been angry that they got married and kept it a secret but I wanted to give the story a kind of `yeah, I expected that' or `how predictable' type feel. As a H/Hr fan, I can't help but think that everyone is as accepting of those two as I am. I like my rose colored glasses!

I hope you enjoyed it. If you feel so inclined, please take a moment to review. This is only my second story and while I have two more in the works, a little encouragement goes a long way toward speeding up the process. Thanks! H_HrFan.

-->