Unofficial Portkey Archive

Darkness finds the Muggles? by TheOneandOnlyAdam
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Darkness finds the Muggles?

TheOneandOnlyAdam

Title: Darkness Finds the Muggles?

Rating: PG-13

Author: Adam

Summary: AU. Harry is 17. He's at St. Brutus' and has never heard of the magical world. But where's his magical ability? Read on and find out...

CHAPTER 2

Albus Dumbledore peered over his half-moon silver spectacles and watched as Minerva McGonagall and Severus Snape argued over last year's House Cup results (incidentally, Ravenclaw won) and about who was going to win it this year. He allowed himself a little smile as he thought about the recent defeat of Voldemort and the joyous celebrations that were still taking place within the wizarding world. The smile soon disappeared off his face though as he remembered the casualties, the stench of death on the fields outside Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the wide open eyes of the dead bodies, the people he had failed to protect…

"Albus!" Professor McGonagall shouted, "Did you just hear what I said?" The Transfiguration Professor glared at the old man, whilst the tall, imposing figure of the Potions Master stood in the background, stone faced but with onyx eyes shining with unheard laughter.

"No, Minerva, please do enlighten us." Albus replied, eyes twinkling with mirth, watching as McGonagall slowly calmed down, and sank into a chair opposite the Headmaster,

"I said that, maybe we should now look into the whereabouts of one Harry Potter, especially as we have lost his parents, we don't exactly want to lose him now do we?" At this, Severus was heard to mumble something like "and we care?" but was quiet under a hard glare from Minerva, who turned round and missed Severus glare straight back at her. "Bringing Harry Potter back now, with his 18th birthday so close, could safeguard the future of the wizarding world Albus, and you know it. The spell wears off then and…"

"What spell?!" Severus exclaimed loudly from the corner. "The spell I put on young Harry on October 31st, many years ago." Albus said gravely, sinking into his chair and relaxing as Fawkes, his phoenix, flew over to him and landed on his shoulder. Albus reached up to stroke the phoenix's feathers, as Fawkes let out a soothing note that calmed everyone in the room.

"Albus, what spell did you use?" Both Minerva and Severus asked at the same time.

"Veneficus Clausus"

"Veneficus Clausus" Minerva exclaimed loudly, as Snape groaned and sunk lower into his chair. "You used the Magical Block spell? What were you thinking!?"

"About the fate of the wizarding world." Albus replied calmly, as he reached into one of the many drawers in his desk and pulled out a small paper bag. "Sherbet Lemon?"

"Now is not the time for sweets Albus! Who knows what effects that spell has had on Potter! You do know of the effects, don't you?" Minerva looked at Severus before turning back to Albus; "That spell could amplify his powers when it is released, the boy won't be able to control them, and who knows what will happen! Well done Albus, now We. Have. To. Find. Harry. Potter."

"I know." Albus replied, walking over to the window and looking out over the Hogwarts grounds. "And that is going to be the hard part."

"Hard part?" Snape queried. "What do you mean the hard part?" Minerva asked.

"I don't actually know where Mr. Potter is at the moment." Albus admitted, sighing. "Last I heard he was in St. Brutus' Secure Centre, but he escaped earlier on today, after the centre left him there alone." Albus walked over and passed a newspaper over the desk to Snape, who picked it up and read.

"Care centre shut down…owner arrested…reports of neglect, mistreatment…most serious case a boy named Harry Potter…Dumbledore! You sent him there!" Snape snarled. "Of all the places, you sent him there! Nobody, not even James Potter's son, deserves that much horror."

"Which is why we need to find him, and fast." Albus sighed, "If we don't, the future of the wizarding world could drastically change, and I don't mean for the better. If we don't get hold of Potter, and Voldemort's few living supporters do…" Dumbledore was cut off by the sound of the spiral staircase moving, and his office door opening. Professor Sybill Trelawney glided in, eyes blinking behind huge glasses. She looked over at McGonagall and Snape before turning her full attention to the Headmaster, who glanced over to see Minerva's disapproving look at Trelawney and Snape's usual sneer.

"Minerva, Severus, if we could continue this discussion another time, maybe?" Dumbledore's eyes were back to their customary twinkling as Minerva and Severus left, not before Minerva gave Trelawney another disapproving scowl.

"Sit, my dear Sybill." Dumbledore nodded at the chair Severus had vacated before sitting down himself. "What can I do for you on this day of all days?"

"Well," Trelawney replied mistily, "I was sat in my tower, gazing deeply into the Orb…"

"What did you see, Sybill?" Dumbledore tried, but failed, to keep the irritation out of his voice as Sybill continued "when I saw something I didn't want to see. I saw Death. I saw your death, Albus, at the hands of the hero."

"That won't happen Sybill, I can assure you. Our hero will NOT turn dark. They will not!" Albus shouted, stunning Sybill and Fawkes. "I am ultimately confident. They will not turn dark."

"Well, Albus, remember what I have told you. Things aren't always what they seem." Sybill replied haughtily, in an eerie normal voice laced with anger. "They will turn, and it will be the outcast who will facilitate this. They will turn, and you will die." Sybill emphasised this last word as she stormed out of Dumbledore's office, slamming the door behind her, causing the many portraits to wake up and a couple of books to fall off their shelves. Albus groaned, and returned to his chair, picking up a quill made of a phoenix feather and beginning to write.

"Dear Mr. Potter…"

Fawkes hooted softly as Albus wrote the letter, watching mournfully as Albus stopped, threw the parchment in his fire and started writing the letter again. Albus finally looked up when Fawkes started to cry loudly. "You think I should try and find him in person?" Fawkes hooted in agreement. "Then tell me how, because I have no clue as to the whereabouts of Mr Potter." Albus raged at no-one in particular before collapsing into his chair. "I have failed him, and I know it. I must find Harry Potter, before it is too late."

-->