Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Truth is Hard to Swallow by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Truth is Hard to Swallow

diggingupophelia

A/N: Yes, yes, I know I have other stories that people are patiently waiting for to be updated. Honestly, I have tried to add to them, but I am not satisfied in the slightest with anything that is coming out lately. Therefore, I have decided to what my Muse tells me to do. This is angsty and sad and has some romance and all that stuff. Hopefully, after I get this angst out of my system, my humor will return and we can return to the land of Just the Four of Us? I really want to write that story, but I don't want to post crap, either, although some may argue that the story is already bad.

I have used Professor Snape in this story and I am playing with his character. I know JKR said he is a `deeply horrible person', but even horrible people can find redemption and a softer side. This version of Professor Snape is a little OOC, but I don't think he is a totally different character all together. As always, let me know what you think, I appreciate every single review I get, good or bad. Thanks for taking the time to read.

THE TRUTH IS HARD TO SWALLOW

PART I(A)

***

Hermione clutched the parchment in her hands. Her vision was blurring with tears. Damn Dumbledore to Hades! Why does he have to take everything away from Harry?

The parchment stated in no uncertain terms that Hermione had to cut off her relationship with Harry. He didn't give her a solid reason. He just said that not having her would save him in the end. Hermione was uncertain as to how isolating from love would save him in the end, but she trusted Albus, even if the situation was less than ideal.

Hermione crumpled up the offending parchment, and made her plans carefully. In the end she decided to give Harry one last night of joy, before she wrenched his heart out, while it was still beating in his chest. She just hoped that Albus knew what he was asking of them and that she and Harry would be together in the end.

***

Hedwig delivered a letter to Harry during lunch. He had been searching for Hermione, but he couldn't find her.

"Hey, girl, what have you got there for me?"

Hedwig dropped the parchment envelope in front of Harry, and waited patiently for Harry to feed her some of his bacon. Harry's face lit up instantly upon seeing the fine lettering on the front of the envelope: it was Hermione's.

Hedwig hooted. "Oh, sorry girl. Here you are," Harry handed her some bacon, "now off to the Owlry. I'll be up to see you soon." Hedwig flew off and Harry tore into his letter.

"Hey, Harry, what have you got there?" asked Ron with a mouth full of mashed potatoes.

"A new broomstick!" Harry rolled his eyes. "What does it look like, Ron?"

"Shut up, Harry!"

Harry turned his attention away from Ron and back to the letter:

Harry,

Meet me in the Room of Requirement as soon as you get this.

Love,

Hermione

Harry didn't give his plate a second look as he bolted from the Great Hall and made his way to the rendezvous point.

***

Hermione paced the length of the Room of Requirement. She was nervous and afraid. This had to be perfect. Harry had to have something to hang on to. Hermione was just going over the last bit of hints she planned to drop, to let him know that the rest was all a ruse, when Harry walked in the door.

Hermione let her eyes wash over him. She wanted to memorize him as he was when he was happy. Her eyes focused on his smile. She was sure that she wouldn't see it again for sometime. She feared that he would never again smile for her. "Hello, Harry."

Harry looked around the room and noticed that it was a very romantic setting. There was a large four-poster-bed adorned with red silk sheets, and a roaring fire that provided the only light in the room. "Hello, Hermione. What's this all about?"

"Can't a girl spoil the man she loves?" Hermione asked coyly.

"Well, yeah, but, last weekend, you said…"

Hermione put her finger to Harry's lips. "I know what I said. But, I changed my mind."

Harry kissed Hermione on the lips, pulling her body in close to his. No matter how close she was to him, it wasn't close enough. Harry had the feeling that if he let her go, she would leave him.

"I love you, Hermione."

"I love you, too, Harry." Her eyes were pleading with him to remember that, and to never doubt her love for one millisecond.

"Tell me, what made you change your mind?" he whispered.

"My love for you."

"Who am I to question that? Shall we?" Harry took Hermione by the hand and led her to the bed. He was going to savor every moment they had together. He would live this night like it was his last.

***

The first time they made love was clumsy and awkward. Hermione was determined to make this a night Harry would never forget. A night that would prove to him that she loved him, despite what tomorrow would bring. Harry was basking in the afterglow of his orgasm, clinging tightly to Hermione with his legs wrapped up in hers.

"Harry, what do you say that we keep practicing this until we get it right?"

"Are you sure, you seemed like you were in a lot of pain," Harry's voice was full of concern.

"I'm fine. Trust me." Hermione spoke the last phrase as if it applied to all situations and not just the one at hand.

Harry allowed himself to be pushed into the mattress as Hermione straddled him and started to kiss him. "I am going to devour every inch of you, Mr. Potter."

"Then, shouldn't you begin a bit lower?" he teased.

"Harry, just close your eyes and enjoy, every tedious second of the time we are spending together." Each command was punctuated with a kiss. By the time she finished speaking that sentence, Harry could feel Hermione's breath over his chest. He took a deep breath. His hand reached under her chin and forced her to gaze into his eyes.

"You are so beautiful."

Hermione blushed. "And you are devastatingly handsome." Hermione let her hands wander over Harry's bronzed flesh, her hands trying to memorize the curve of each delicate muscle. "I love you, Harry."

Hermione kissed Harry's lips softly, and then directed her attentions to other portions of his body. She licked a trail down his stomach, stopping just short of the thick thatch of pubic hair, then kissing her way back up to his lips. Harry grinned at her. "You little tease."

Outwardly, Hermione gave Harry a coy grin. Inside her heart was ready to burst. He has now idea what tomorrow has in store for him. Hermione returned to pleasing Harry, to showing him just how much she loved him. She hoped that this night would be enough to carry him through the next agonizing patch of his life. The seconds rapidly grew into minutes, the minutes dissolved into a quarter hour. Hermione could tell that Harry was growing anxious.

"Don't make me wait for you any longer," Harry begged breathily as Hermione teased his body with her hands, lips, and tongue. Hermione did not reply. Instead Harry managed to reposition both of them so that he was the one on top of Hermione. It was his turn to worship her body with kisses. He started at her lips, lingered over her breasts, and then stopped.

"Harry, you can't stop there…"

"Oh, but I can," he said in a sardonic tone. "I just won't"

Harry and Hermione found pleasure in each other that night, that they would never find anywhere else…

***

The next morning Hermione found herself waking in her own bed. She hoped that everything that had transpired the day before was nothing more than a dream. Her stomach churned as an owl dropped a parchment on her chest as she struggled to sit up. The writing on the envelope belonged to none other than Albus Dumbledore. A lump formed in Hermione's throat as she got out of bed and pulled on her familiar school robes. She steeled herself to face the worst day of her life.

***

Harry had barely slept all night. His thoughts were only on Hermione. He couldn't believe that she loved him so much. Harry couldn't keep himself away from Hermione for another second. He leapt out of bed and threw on his school robes, and prepared himself to enjoy the best day of his life.

***

Hermione had left Gryffindor Tower before anyone else had made his or her way down into the common room. She found a deserted corner of the castle and tried to make herself cold enough to push Harry away, when she wanted nothing more than to hold him close to her.

"Ms. Granger, isn't it a bit early to be plotting the Trio's next great adventure?" asked a silky voice laced with venom. It was Professor Snape.

"I would hardly call what I am planning a great adventure," she said, not even bothering to look at him.

"Professor Dumbledore has told me of his suggestion, Ms. Granger. He wants to make sure that if you decide to follow through, there will be no mistakes."

Hermione released a bitter laugh. "Suggestion? You know better than anyone that any suggestion offered by Albus Dumbledore is a direct order, and to defy it would bring about dire consequences."

"So, I do, Ms. Granger." Professor Snape paused. "Professor Dumbledore, has sent me to give you this," he held out a vial with a shimmering blue liquid, "it is a potion that will allow you to project the necessary emotion to be…erm…convincing."

"I don't want it."

"I don't care. You will take this. You cannot back out…. Tell me, Ms. Granger, that Hogwarts' star pupil is not stupid enough to consummate a relationship on the eve of its planned end."

"Does it change things. Does it mean I don't have to do what Albus has planned for me?"

"I don't know. You had better come with me. Time is of the essence, foolish girl."

"I am hardly a girl, Professor Snape, and I resent…"

Professor Snape held out a hand to stop Hermione from talking. "Your lectures may work on Potter and Weasley, but trust me I have no desire to hear the prattling of a teen-aged witch, who may have single handedly destroyed the fate of the whole of wizard kind. Now before you utter another syllable, I think we should be safely ensconced in the privacy of Professor Dumbledore's office."

Hermione didn't say another word as she followed Professor Snape to the familiar stone gargoyle statue.

***

Harry raced into the Common Room and waited by the foot of the stairs to the girls' dormitory for Hermione to emerge. It was almost time for breakfast, and still no Hermione. Harry was getting anxious. What if I hurt her? What if she can't move? What if someone snuck into her room in the middle of the night and cast an Unforgivable on her? Without any further thought, Harry attempted to run up the stairs and into the girls' dormitory. He forgot about the security feature, and before he knew it, he was lying sprawled out on the foot of the steps with on Ginny Weasley laughing at him hysterically.

"You, of all people, Harry!" scolded Ginny, as she reached out her hand to help him to his feet.

"I kind of forgot about that," Harry stated in an embarrassed tone as his hands ran through his unruly hair.

"Who were you looking for?"

"Hermione. She hasn't come down yet. I have been waiting all morning for her and…"

"Well, I hate to tell you this, Harry, but you've been waiting for no reason. She isn't in her room."

Harry was puzzled. He was the first person in the common room, and he and Hermione always met to walk with Ron to the Great Hall for breakfast. "Well, I had better get Ron then, you know how he is if we're late to breakfast…"

"Do I ever! See you later, Harry."

***

"Well, Ms. Granger, this little incident, certainly changes things a bit."

"How so, Professor Dumbledore?"

"How is Harry supposed to believe you don't love him, if you consummated the relationship only yesterday?"

"That was my point, actually."

"We'll just have to Obliviate him."

"NO!" shouted both Severus and Hermione at the same time.

"Severus, I would think that you of all people would understand why this MUST be done," said Professor Dumbledore in a very calculating tone. He was trying desperately to regain control of the situation.

"Albus, I will not allow you to destroy this. I owe him that much. If I can't save the boy from death, I can at least try to make sure he has a satisfactory life."

"Love will not save him, Severus."

Hermione made a noise of discontentment and indignation. "How can you say that, Professor? Love is what saved him in the first place."

"He does not need to have his head in the clouds when he needs his feet firmly planted on the ground in order to kill Voldemort!"

"Albus," said Severus in an even tone, " you cannot use the boy as a pawn. He will not be able to channel love, if he feels abandoned by the one person he loves above all others."

Hermione couldn't believe her ears. Professor Snape was actually defending Harry to Professor Dumbledore, she had to restrain herself from commenting on the situation.

"Severus, do not meddle in things you do not understand. Give the girl the potion, and take her to the Great Hall. It will be done this morning."

Professor Snape lost all composure. "You, Albus, are the one meddling in things you do not understand. You had me convinced that having someone else to care for would only get in the way of my work for the Order." He paused as his breath hitched in his throat. "Now, I have nothing left to live for. I was a fool to let you do that to me, and I will be damned if I allow you to do it to anyone else, even if it is, Potter."

While Professors Snape and Dumbledore were arguing, Hermione managed to sneak out of the office. She would tell Harry what plans were afoot and together, they would come up with a solution.

***

As he glanced over to the High Table, Harry noticed that both Professors Snape and Dumbledore were still not in the Great Hall. It made him wonder why his scar wasn't hurting. If they were both missing at the same time, it usually meant that Voldemort had something in the works, and he would have to sort it out.

"…the chasers on the perimeter?"

"…"

"Harry?"

"Huh?"

"Did you hear a word I said?" asked Ron with a mouth full of scrambled eggs.

"Sorry, my mind was elsewhere."

"She's probably in the Library researching or doing the extra, extra credit assignment. Honestly, I don't know why you worry…"

Before Ron could finish his sentence, Hermione plopped herself down in her usual seat, next to Harry and across from Ron.

"Ronald Weasley, I know your mother taught you to swallow your food before you speak! Disgusting." Without stopping to take a breath, Hermione turned to Harry. "We need to talk, it is very important."

Harry and Hermione both got up and made for the doorway. "Where are you two going again? Honestly, I am going to have to find new friends if you keep sneaking away like that!"

Ron was ignored, so he went back to eating his breakfast. He pulled Harry's plate over to him, for good measure.

***

"Severus, if you don't give her the potion, then I will."

Professor Snape held the vial of the blue potion in his hands, dangled it away form his body, and let it drop to the ground. "Evanesco."

"Go get another vial, Severus, it is not wise to play these games with me."

"There isn't anymore. It takes 3 years for it to brew and ferment properly. And, Albus, it is not wise to play games with other people's lives." Professor Snape turned to speak to Hermione, but she was not there. "Does she still have her Time-Turner?"

"No. I had better find her, and make her see reason."

"Albus, let them alone, or, I'll…I'll… tell Minerva what you've been up to. She has never quite forgiven you for depriving her the pleasure of planning my wedding!"

Professor Dumbledore opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out. Professor Snape smirked and then stalked his way from the office down into the dungeons to teach his first class of the day.

***

"What is it, Hermione?"

"I want you to understand that what happened last night was because I love you. I would have wanted to have last night even if what I am about to tell you wasn't true. I don't want you to be upset with me. I love you." Hermione couldn't bring herself to look Harry in the eye.

"It can't be all that bad, Love. I know you love me. I love you, too. Whatever this is, we can work through it."

Hermione nodded and stared at her shoes for a few moments before she worked up the courage to tell him what she needed to tell him.

"Well, I got a letter from Dumbledore…" she began and relayed the entire tale to Harry.

Harry stared at her blankly for a few moments. "Snape, defended us to Dumbledore?" he asked with disbelief.

Hermione opened her mouth to answer, but the voice of the Potions Master cut in. "I did indeed, Potter. Do not let this incident give you any illusions of my true feelings for you, I still can't stand you! But you both need to come with me. Dumbledore is out to find a way to make more pawns in his war game, you'll need to be protected. I have the potions in my office."

"Why are you helping us?" asked Harry.

"Because you have a chance to win this war for all of us and be happy at the same time. Someone deserves to come out of all of this in tact, and I do owe your father."

"But the broom, first year?"

"Fine, then don't take my help. Dumbledore will not relent. He is only temporarily thwarted. You two are going to need to pull off one hell of a show for that meddlesome old man if you want to come out of this alive, Potter."

Harry looked to Hermione, who signaled with her head to follow Snape.

***

"Albus! You will not interfere in that boy's life. You have trained him and he is strong. You will not destroy him!"

"Minerva…"

"What, Albus? I seem to recall a certain wizard who defeated Grindenwald having quite the love life in the midst of that war, and he managed to survive to a ripe old age and become a pain in everyone else's bloody arse!" she scolded through gritted teeth.

"This is different, Harry has never known love before…"

"And whose bloody fault was that? There were wizarding families all over the world who would've taken that boy in and raised him, but you insisted on leaving him on that doorstep!"

"I thought it would…"

"Whatever you thought, does not matter now. Harry grew up to be an exceptional young man despite the lack of happiness he has had in his life. I swear to Merlin, Albus, if you destroy that relationship between those two, I'll…I'll…"

"You'll what, Minerva?"

"You already know what happened to the last person who decided to cross me…"

"You wouldn't do that to me…"

"Don't think I won't! Mrs. Norris has been wanting some company for quite some time and Argus has mentioned wanting a new pet, and seeing as how you like to meddle so much I think it would be a perfect job for you."

Albus sat at his desk and rested his head in his hands. Everyone was against his depriving Harry of happiness and love. For once in his life, Albus was going to have to give in. "Fine. I'll leave them alone. But, no blame had better be found on my doorstep when they are both dead."

"Albus, no one would blame you. It doesn't matter if they are together or not, the love Harry has for Hermione makes her a target, the target, actually."

"Don't you have a class to teach, Minerva?"

"Right."

***

"Are you sure we can do this, Harry?"

"No."

"What other choice do we have?"

"I know at this moment I would like to march right into Dumbledore's office and give him a good telling off for trying to run my life. He has already made a weapon out of me, sentenced me to sacrifice my own life so the wizarding world can be safe, why is he so intent on making sure I die alone."

"You are going to live, Harry."

"But what if I did die, Hermione, what would you do then?"

Hermione just stared at him. It took all of her restraint not to haul off and smack him in the face.

"I won't discuss this with you Harry. You are not going to die."

"I could."

"Dumbledore wouldn't spend all this time training you and honing your ability to continue as an Auror if he thought you were going to die at the end of all of this. He wouldn't waste his time," she said in a tone that was very persuasive.

Harry knew she was only trying to convince herself that what she said was true. "Hermione, there is something I have to tell you." Harry took a deep breath and prepared to tell her a secret he had kept for almost two years. "There is a prophecy."

"A real one, or some hooey that Trelawney spouted off in Divination?"

"When we were in the Department of Mysteries, the prophecy is what Voldemort was after. I know what it said though, and it looks bleak for me, Hermione."

Hermione blanched, maybe this would still be the most horrendous day of her life. "What did the prophecy say, Harry?"

"Well, I haven't memorized it word for word," he lied, "but basically it says that Voldemort and I cannot both live at the same time. At least one of us has to die. But I truly believe that I am going to have to die in order to kill him. When I got to battle him, I am not going to return."

"The prophecy can be interpreted. Is there any way you can get a copy of it? I could research it and…"

"Hermione, stop. I love you, but what we have now, is all we have. I am going to die and soon. I can tell."

"Harry! You aren't going to die, stop being so stubborn."

"You are the one who won't listen to reason."

"Reason? What you are saying isn't reasonable. You have already given up the fight before you step on the battlefield!"

"I haven't given up, just accepted my fate."

"Fate is dynamic, Harry. It changes. Each choice you make determines your fate. Our lives aren't mapped out for us."

"I have a prophecy, I live by it and I will die by it."

"You should fight by it!" Hermione looked at Harry and studied him. Somehow, she had failed to notice the man he had become, before this point in time. His jaw was clenched in anger, his body was tense, and his eyes were cold.

"Hermione, accept this and let me live happy or walk away now. It is my life and I will bloody choose to die the way I see fit. I couldn't choose how to live my life, but I will decide how I will fight my battles and with what purpose!"

Neither Harry nor Hermione said a word for a long time. "I can't accept that, Harry. Why won't you fight to live?"

"I never said I wouldn't."

"Well, at least, I'll be fighting at your side, it will give you a reason to stay alive," she said in a confident tone.

Harry grabbed Hermione by the shoulder and made sure he was looking directly into her eyes. "You won't be fighting next to me. You won't be on the battlefield. If I have to worry about you, then I can't do what I have to do. That is my final decision, Hermione."

"And who are you to make decisions like that about my life?"

Harry didn't answer her. He merely kissed her on the forehead and walked away, with Hermione staring after him.

***

Professor Snape sat in his office, his first-year Double Potions class had not gone well. Two students had blown up their cauldrons, and one student managed to produce toxic fumes by adding crushed nettle wings to quartered holly berries. He had spent most of his morning in the Hospital Wing, helping Madame Pomfrey administer treatment to the class. On top of that, right before the explosion occurred, Fawkes had delivered a note to Snape, there was to be a meeting about this morning's incident. No, Professor Snape was not having a good day at all.

***

Hermione sulked all day. Her conversation with Harry early in the morning had brought her to a level of angry that she never thought she would experience. She loved Harry, and he loved her, she could understand why he might want to protect her. However, there was no excuse for his need to tell her what to do. Hermione Granger was her own person, she made her own decisions, no one could make her do anything she didn't already want to do. Hermione decided sometime in between Ancient Runes and Herbology that she and Harry were going to sit down and have a good solid argument, and that he was going to see things her way.

***

Ron sat in between his two best friends in their usual corner of the library. The tension was so thick, it held him captive in his seat. There was no way he was going to escape it. He spent the better part of a half an hour looking from one friend to the other, studying them, instead of the notes Hermione had loaned him for History of Magic.

Finally, Harry noticed that he was being studied, and he snapped. "Ron, what in bloody hell are you doing? The notes aren't written across my forehead!"

"I could fix that you know," quipped Hermione, "I have a projection spell right here."

"That was cute, maybe I could project my reasoning into that thick skull of yours so you could understand why you are not fighting next to me!" replied Harry.

Ron just watched the scene in front of him play out for a moment before he said anything. He knew he wasn't known for his keen sense of understanding when it came to things of an emotional nature. "What is going on between you two? You were fine yesterday, and now all of a sudden…"

Hermione cut him off, "All of a sudden, your best friend is acting like a chauvinist pig, and refuses to let me do what I have to do in this war." Her reply came in an even tone. This was not the place she had wanted to have this argument, but now that the topic was broached, there was no turning back.

"That isn't, true!" yelled Harry. He paused for a moment and took a deep breath. He was pulling himself in check. He realized he was in the library, and he did not feel like incurring the wrath of Madame Pince. He pulled his wand out of his robes and muttered a silencing charm around their table. He cleared his throat before he spoke again. "Hermione, that isn't true. I do want you to do your part. I just don't feel that your part is marching on the battlefield next to me. If you are next to me I am not going to be able to focus long enough to do what I have to do."

"You mean kill yourself, you selfish arse!"

Ron's jaw dropped. "Kill yourself? What is she talking about, Harry?"

Harry didn't even have a chance to reply before Hermione started to answer the question for him. "Well, you see Ron, Harry has this idea that in order for Voldemort to die, he has to die to. He is stepping out on the battlefield without the desire to fight to live."

Ron turned to Harry. "Are you fucking insane, Harry? You can't go out there thinking you are going to die or you will die," he yelled.

"But, Ron, there is a prophecy…" started Harry

"From who, Trelawney? So she gets a few things right, but those things are interpretive. Haven't you learned anything from that class?"

"But I just know that I am going to die when I face him for the last time."

"Bollocks, Harry," said Ron, "you are not going to die, unless you want to die. You did not survive him all this time just so you could die in the end."

"I disagree with you," Harry said in a matter of fact tone.

"See, Ron, he won't listen to reason," chimed Hermione. "He is content to leave me here all alone without a second thought and he expects me to sit here and do nothing while he goes off on his suicide mission."

"Well, Hermione, I don't really want you out there either. But don't worry, I'll be next to him…"

"No, you won't Ron. Neither one of you are coming out there with me. I am going to go at this alone. It will be sooner than you think, and neither of you will know about it."

Both Ron and Hermione just stared at Harry in shock. Hermione was the first to speak. She stood up and shoved her things into her book bag as she said, "You and your bloody hero complex. When you grow up, then you can come talk to me. Until then you can just bask in your own glory. Honestly, you are getting as bad as Malfoy!"

"Take it back, Hermione."

"No." And then she stormed off to her dormitory, where she spent the remainder of her night avoiding Harry.

"Mate, you didn't mean what you said, did you? You are going to let me come with you, right?"

"No. This isn't your destiny, Ron. It's mine."

"Fine. You do what you need to do. But you shouldn't do this alone. Hermione and I would gladly go with you."

"I need you to stay here and take care of her. I can't do what have to do if I know she isn't going to be alright."

Ron just nodded his head as he returned to his studying. If I had just kept my head down, none of this would have happened.

***

Albus Dumbledore sat in the chair across from Severus and said nothing. The silence was making Severus nervous.

"Did you call me to your office for a reason, Albus?" asked Severus.

"Yes," said Albus, and nothing more.

Severus was silent for a few moments. "Well, are you going to tell me?"

"No."

"Then what am I doing here?"

"You'll see."

"Oh, bloody hell, I have other things to do, Albus."

"I realize that Severus, you are a man of patience, exercise it!"

"Sorry, I seem to have forgotten myself."

"We all do dear boy." Albus rooted around in his pocked for something, and then presented it to Severus, "Lemon Drop or Licorice Wand?"

Severus took a licorice wand, they were after all, his favorite candies, and settled into the chair. He had no idea what was going to happen tonight, but he knew he would definitely be where he was for a long while.

***

Hermione was pacing her room in an effort to work off the anger that had embedded itself in her person. She was trying to see things from Harry's perspective, but it didn't do anything to make her less upset with the situation. Hermione began shouting at Crookshanks, after all, he was male!

"Who does he think he is? Hmm? Just because he is the bleeding Boy-Who-Lived, doesn't mean he can tell me what to do!" She stopped and glared at her familiar.

"Mrrrrow," was the only reply the cat could give.

"Oh, so your on his side then? You think I should give him a handkerchief as a sign of my affection for him while he gallantly fights the demons that threaten my way of life, is that it?" Hermione glared at the cat.

Crookshanks hissed at her and hopped down from the bed. He ran from the room as fast as his four legs could carry him and Hermione was alone with her thoughts and her anger.

"Men!" she exclaimed as she fell onto her bed.

***

Harry and Ron had packed up their homework and returned to the boys dormitory. Upon entering the Common Room, both boys scanned their corner for Hermione. Neither were surprised to find that she was not there.

"You know, Harry, you were kind of hard on her. I mean, you of all people should know, that Hermione can't be told what to do."

"I wasn't trying to be a grand arse, Ron. I just want you two to be safe."

"We understand that, but as long as you care about us, then we aren't safe. No matter what you do, we know you care about us. Therefore we are in danger because we care about you."

"I wish I didn't have friends. I should never have let you sit with me in that compartment on the first day."

"Mate, you don't mean that. I figured being your friend would be dangerous, but what is a little danger when there are so many grand adventures to be had?"

Harry managed a weak smile. "Just promise me that you will take care of her."

"No."

"Th..What? Why not?"

"Because, you need something to live for. Live for her. She deserves to have you, Harry. If you don't return than she will be all on her own."

"But…"

"Conversation closed." Ron paused. "Let's go off to the kitchens and see if we can get some treacle tarts. All that studying has made me lightheaded."

With that, the boys gathered Harry's Invisibility Cloak and headed off on of their more benign adventures.

***

"Severus, you were right. I shouldn't have interfered. In your life or Harry's."

Severus almost choked on his tea. He had been sitting in silence with the Headmaster for almost three hours when the he heard those words. "I accept your apology," he said in a shocked whisper.

"You may go, Severus."

***

TWO MONTHS LATER

***

Harry and Hermione had not been on speaking terms since their falling out in the library. Ron had played mediator, trying in vain to get one to see the other's reasoning and have them at least compromise. The three of them were sitting in the Great Hall, having lunch.

"Ron, could you please ask Hermione, if she would pass the Pumpkin juice?"

"Ron, would you please tell Harry, that there is a jug of Pumpkin juice next to him, and there is no need for me to pass him this one."

Ron had reached his limit. "All right you two, I can't take this anymore!" he yelled.

Harry and Hermione looked at Ron, stunned, he rarely yelled.

"You two are my best friends, and I want them back. I can't take this bickering over something so stupid and foolish. If you two don't make up and compromise, then I am not going to talk to either one of you, until you talk to each other. I am not you interpreter, messenger, or translator. If you have something to say to each other then say it! I am done with this." Ron stormed out of the Great Hall, hoping that this is what was needed to mend the `Golden Trio'.

Hermione stared at Harry while he played with the food on his plate.

"What?" he asked.

"I've missed you."

"Me, too."

"I'm sorry," they both said at the same time and smiled.

"Hermione, I shouldn't have tried to tell you what to do. I should have…"

"Harry, I should have listened to you more. You were just trying to protect me. But you have to understand, that I don't need protecting."

Harry frowned a bit at that, but it passed quickly. "Let's go find Ron and tell him the good news. I am sure he'll be delighted to have lost his job as `middle man'."

PART I (B) TO FOLLOW

-->